i bought a used pearl 8130- the previous owner did an OS format- there is no Google Talk, Yahoo messenger, or Facebook application..

can another OS format(upload) help to get these 3 apps back?
    you can download these apps
    but i suggest you skip FB
    better off accessing the mobile FB site from your browser IMO
    02-26-09 04:03 AM

From there, the guide is telling me it should be smooth sailing from there if I was fast enough to hit next and to pop the battery in and just wait for the OS to load ...

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: It took me a bunch of tries but it worked now. Thanks!
    I am glad you got it working, the timing is critical.

The instructions assume you have encountered a dead end with Application Loader while trying to do a normal connection. The command line switch bypasses the normal inspection and comparison of OS and forces a new load.

If that doesn't fix it, nothing will.
    02-26-09 01:09 PM
    i bought a used pearl 8130- the previous owner did an OS format- there is no Google Talk, Yahoo messenger, or Facebook application..

can another OS format(upload) help to get these 3 apps back?
    Look for a hidden folder. These applications are provided by service books, they can not be deleted so most experienced users create a new folder, move them into the folder then hide the folder.

Menu / Show All
    02-26-09 01:11 PM
    When your device fails to start, it show one of these symptoms:

1. Totally dead.

2. Trying to restart, LED activity only.

3. Failed to start, a white screen with an error message.

__________________________________________________ ________

1. Physical damage, water is the worst enemy of delicate electronic device. Try drying it with a desiccant and replacing the battery. If there is no activity, you can still try the last ditch technique, nothing to loose anyway. BTW I have AT&T as my carrier.

2. Your device is not able to start, something has gone wrong and the OS is corrupt.

]Failed Upgrade suggestions.[/url]
    Link failed, Post #384 of this thread.

3. Geeks call this an "Uncaught exception error". That is a polite way of saying, the last thread has terminated, the OS has halted because it is corrupt.

In many cases, the Application Loader can be used from Desktop Manager or Windows, see Ref #1 for the CrackBerry 101 discussion.

If that fails to connect, there is one final solution. Go Old Skool ...

__________________________________________________ ________

The good news, starting from scratch, you will be back in service in a couple of hours.

1. In order to restore the device, you need to have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed. The original, as supplied on the BlackBerry CD is adaquite. Tip: If you choose to download the newest v4.3, you can save a lot of time by choosing custom install and disabling Roxio Media Manager. At start-up, it really slows things down until it has built up it index of media. Ref #2 links to BlackBerry's download site.

2. After it is installed, you need to install a BlackBerry OS file that is specific to your device. The original version, as supplied by the carrier, is the safe choice, but you can use any model specific version. This is not supplied on your BlackBerry CD, Ref: 3 links to BlackBerry's download pages.

3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.

Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.

Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.

Navigate to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.XML file.

4. You are now ready to restore your device. Verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager is NOT running. Plug the device directly into the computer's USB port.

We are about to venture into the bowls of the beast. Windows is not suitable for this job, we are going to invoke the Command line interface with an option switch. This was the way all 'puters worked prior to Mcintosh and Windows.

Windows XP: Start / Run... / Command

Windows Vista: Start / Command (type this into 'start search')

You will see a black window similar to this. I have used UPPERCASE to highlight the typed commands.

Windows Vista

Windows XP

When using Vista 64 bit operating systems the command should look like this...

When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start. No data or setting will be saved, however, they can be recovered from a previous backup.

5. Wait for it to finish.Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.

Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize it and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously.

Version 1.1 Corrected EXE file name.
    Version 1.2 Expanded troubleshooting and installation instructions.
    Version 1.3 Detail command line instructions.
    Version 1.4 XP specific command line.
    Version 1.5 Vista 64 command line.

Thanks to acnst @ BlackBerry Forums
    Credit to cmedeir for the XP command line.
    Credit to Afterfreeze for the Vista 64 command line.
    All I can say is Thank You! To think just a few hours ago I thought my 8320 was going into the trash. It did work and now I have my unlocked (T-Mobile) phone back. I was wondering why all the t-mobile crap shows up. I downloaded the software from AT&T. I am fine with the start T-Mobile thing but how did the all the pink cirles (quick launch icons) get there? Does this mean I have loaded the wrong software?
    02-26-09 02:33 PM
    Hi
    I have recently just bough a blackberry bold is kindda broken, meaning it fell over the lcd was smashed and scracth everywhere, however when i inser the sim card it can receive calls and send calls. so I thought is only an exterior stuff I can fix it easily but unforunately thats not the case, when I change the LCD and everything it went all white blank and goes static on me. would this be a software issue or and hardware issue?
    if you can save my bold that would be awesomee!!!
    02-26-09 04:54 PM
    Hi,

My phone came back up but no longer has doc. to go, or blackberry messenger. (By the way I have a Blackberry Bold) Any idea how I might get these back?
    02-27-09 12:03 AM
    DO NOT use Windows Vista or Windows 7 to recover your dead Blackberry!!!

USE windows XP!!!

This is how I recovered my BB!!! And not with apploader but with Desktop manager. Just start the DM, connected the BB and launch the Updater!!!
    The battery was not disconnected. No special drivers installed. Just those from Win XP!
    It was so simple and easy!!! I hope you can recover yours the same way!

HUGE thanks to everyone that contributed for this great thread!!!!!

GOOD luck to everyone who is still with nuked berry!

Just so we're on a level playing field, and in living color lol...

YOU CAN USE WINDOWS VISTA, AND EVEN WINDOWS VISTA 64-BIT to come back from a dead BlackBerry.

You do NOT need to use XP.

kruptos: Nothing against you, and I'm happy for you that you got your BB back in order, but I can't stand idly by with false information, sorry. You're quite new to the forum, and please refrain from barking out information that may not be correct, and, in the process, cause users to blindly follow your recommendations.

A lot of members here may not have XP anymore, and some may throw in the towel if they read your warning and believe it, which again, is incorrect. Windows 7...you're right, don't use "7" for now! There is a workaround, but I would not use Windows 7 either! So when you're right, you're right.

How do I know this? I personally bricked my beautiful Bold, and got it back on track using my Vista 64-bit edition. When my girlfriend's Curve went down, I rinsed and repeated on her Vista 32-bit machine, and all was well w/ her BlackBerry, too. So both on OS 4.5, as well as 4.6 (and I assume 4.7 as well), and both on the Curve 8310, and my Bold 9000, Vista is just fine.

I've been working in IT for 15 years, if that helps my credibility.

Again, VISTA 32-BIT, OR VISTA 64-BIT users: Fear not! For you can have your BlackBerry back to normal without getting XP.
    Last edited by Crunch; 02-27-09 at 12:43 AM. Reason: That green color was crappola
    02-27-09 12:35 AM
    You do make your point colorfully.

The basic message is, Windows 7 is not fully compatible, but all of the previous versions are, by design.

That is not unusual with beta software, Microsoft is hard at works fixing bugs, that is sure to be on the list.... somewhere.
    02-27-09 01:02 PM
    Im In Need Of Extreme Help As I Was Trying To Download The Att Generic Service Books For My Storm The Phone Itself Turned Off And Never Turned Back On Ive Tried A Few Steps On How To Fix A Nuked Bb And Im Absolutely Stuck Someone Help Me Please
    02-27-09 07:59 PM
    my storm is completely ... i was trying to add the browser for att and it just went dead!!!!!! No led lights or anything ive tried almost everything its also not connecting to my computer anymore..... WHAT SHOULD I DO????????????/
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 02-28-09 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Language, keep it family friendly
    02-27-09 11:26 PM
    cwill also PM'ed me, but it is better to do this in a public forum.

First question, Do you have BlackBerry Desktop Software installed?

Second, Do you have your original carriers, or a carrier approved OS installed?

You can verify that with Start / Control Panel / Programs. Both must be installed for the upgrade to proceed.

If you belive you have the correct software in place, it must be prepared for use:

Start / Computer. Select Drive C:\ and navigate to:

C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

Scroll to the bottom and delete Vendor.xml.

Connect your BlackBerry and open BlackBerry Desktop Manger.

If you see your device PIN number, you can continue with Applications Loader and recover your device.

If the PIN number is not recognized, pull the battery and observe what happens when it starts up.

Report back.

02-28-09 12:41 PM
    All I can say Reed is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I unfortunately didn't check the forums before attempting to update my Curve while using Windows 7. I got the blinky led of doom...but with your great instructions I was able to bring my berry back from the dead, and keep my SO from killing me. So thanks a bunch!
    02-28-09 10:24 PM
    well i put in all the commands correctly and for some the computer is still not reconizing it after i hit enter on the last command is the app loader wizard supposed to pop up?
    If you are getting an error, something is not installed correctly or you have mis-spelled the directory name.

I am concerned with the error messages. Where do they happen and what do they say?

AppLoader is the program we are commanding with a overide switch. It will start and proceed with a full rebuild, if everything is correct.

03-01-09 12:09 PM
    All I can say Reed is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I unfortunately didn't check the forums before attempting to update my Curve while using Windows 7. I got the blinky led of doom...but with your great instructions I was able to bring my berry back from the dead, and keep my SO from killing me. So thanks a bunch!
    Thank you, it is that kind of success story that makes it all worth while.
    03-01-09 12:10 PM
    FIIIINNNAAAALLLLLYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is important to go through the command prompt directions as indicated by the poster. Afterward, upon rebooting on the phone you may get a error that says something like - "reload software: 507" This is good. Now go into your BB desktop manager and update your device just as you normally would.

This process worked for me after I lost all communication to my phone. Thanks to the poster! :-)
    03-01-09 09:03 PM
    i have both installed but its not reconixing my pin or even the bb at all
    03-01-09 11:24 PM
    im typing in everything correctly at the command but it then pops up the apploader but the computer and the apploader do not reconize the bb
    03-01-09 11:26 PM
    i have both installed but its not reconixing my pin or even the bb at all
    Thanks for the update. I suspect the failed USB connection is the root of your problem.

BlackBerry has published paper on USB issues, hopefully you can track down and correct the connection problem.

View Document
    03-02-09 10:35 AM
    I realized, after posting, that you did mention no backups.

It may be as simple as resending your service books. That will overwrite the setting that are currently in place.

You may have to log on to your carriers service page or call the support line.

The other option, a fresh start with blank setting. It will get a fresh set of service books and you can repeat the email setup to insure the information is correct.

Then, back it up and use Advanced Restore.
    My Wife's BB is up and running, recieves, text, email and so on but I cant get my name off of it after doing the restore from my BB. When she goes to contacts it says Rob's contacts, when she dials voicemail (by holding down the 1) it calls my phone (ive changed the speeddial number several times). when she uses BB IM it says she is me... All this even after sending service books a few times. Thoughts???
    03-02-09 03:40 PM
    The other option, a fresh start with blank setting. It will get a fresh set of service books and you can repeat the email setup to insure the information is correct. ...
    That is pretty messed up, troubleshooting it will take an inordinate amount of time.

Fresh Start: Connect the BlackBerry using the USB cable, open Applications Loader and proceed to the screen after Add / Remove Applications.

Click the Options button and de-select: Backup Data Automatically ....
    Select: Delete all applications data and Erase all currently installed applications.

Proceed with the install, it will be totally wiped, a fresh start.
    03-02-09 03:57 PM
    I have recovered a blackberry before using Loader.exe. Today I ran into an App 523 after doing a reset for removing a theme. Is it typical for the wizard to sit at "Updating Your Device" for an extended period of time with seemingly nothing going on. As in the progress bar isn't moving, no display of modules being loaded, etc.?

Edit: Ended up having to wipe the device and start from scratch. Just wish I had a more recent back up
    Last edited by robertmills; 03-03-09 at 01:32 PM.
    03-03-09 10:29 AM
    Hello respected members / mod...!
    i have two blackberry 8100 and 8120 locked to vodafone so i decided to unlock them by MFI
    the 1st one went well no problem at all unlock by MFI and flashed by desktop manager and it's work ...
    but the problem is in the 2nd one ( 8120 ) i clicked by mistake on nuke device in MFI menu so now i get only red light and don't connect to pc there's no sound on un/pluged device in usb port
    i tired every thing on this forum and others too but no problem
    my device was working very well no hardware problem just i clicked by mistake on nuke device so now i'm unhappy because i love my 8120 and i want to revive it if there a solution
    sorry if my english is so bad
    03-03-09 04:20 PM
    That is pretty messed up, troubleshooting it will take an inordinate amount of time.

Fresh Start: Connect the BlackBerry using the USB cable, open Applications Loader and proceed to the screen after Add / Remove Applications.

Click the Options button and de-select: Backup Data Automatically ....
    Select: Delete all applications data and Erase all currently installed applications.

Proceed with the install, it will be totally wiped, a fresh start.
    Thanks so much Reed!. That worked perfect. It's as good as new now,
    03-04-09 10:26 AM
    Well this certainly saved me before. Thanks so much!
    03-04-09 10:36 AM
    I need help please. im getting this message from the uploader
    A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again. I've tried looking for that vendor.xlm file but no luck. I found one that said vendor something but im sure it was not that one. I did deleted that one anyway. I keep on getting the blank screen with the app error 523.. im not an expert, but im sure I can do it if someone helps me.. I tried using the command option but is not working it gives me " too many parameters " I need help please!
    Last edited by avo8686; 03-05-09 at 10:29 AM.
    03-05-09 10:17 AM
1,742 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD