Hi all,

I'm having the same problem everyone had that is blank screen and flashing red light. I've followed the steps mentioned in here (working on Vista):

- USB drivers do exist.
    - vendor file is deleted.
    - apploader launched by following theses commands
    CD \
    CD PROGRAM FILES
    CD COMMON FILES
    CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
    CD APPLOADER
    LOADER /NOJVM
    - Battery was removed as instructed in Kevin's lesson
    BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

- connection initiated between my BB Bold and the apploader and it said "USB-PIN:UNKNOWN".
    - PIN was entered correctly.
    - "Load JVM and system software"... completed.
    - "wait for device initialization".... the screen is lit and a sign of no battery appears.
    - Then, this message appears: "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation."

When I replace the battery, the screen remains slightly lit and the red light flashes very quickly for 3-4 times and pauses for 1 second then flashes again and so on!!!!!!
    Any clues??
    The thing started this morning when I woke up to disconnect my BB from the laptop (PC was turned off) and realized that the phone is no longer working, blank screen and red light flashing.

Any help is appreciated
    Last edited by BoldInvestigator; 02-19-09 at 08:17 AM.
    02-19-09 08:12 AM
    Until now I was not able to run the installation with Desktop Manager.
    I removed the Desktop manager, the BB OS and all the "Research in motion" registry keys. Installed Desktop Manager 4.7 (the latest) over the v4.5 and "8310M_PBr4.5.0_rel108_PL2.7.0.78_A4.5.0.81_Rogers ".

Now I can run the installation from Desktop Manager but it's tricky!
    With battery plugged and disconnected BB I did the following:

1. Start the Desktop Manager and choose Application Loader/Add & Remove (whatever the name was). USB-PIN:UNKNOWN was selected.
    It tries to do something with the Boot ROM and it stuck again in the beginning.
    2. Here I disconnected the BB and immediately connect it back and it starts reading from the device...

After reading all the stuff it needs it reveals the available apps for installing.
    OK, I made the selection and pressed next...finish...

After "downloading" more than 200 "files" it starts the same procedure: "Load JVM and system software" and again it stays write there.

No progress at all... again
    It seems that it have trouble with installing this JVM and system software?!?!

For a moment I thought that it will recover

I'll keep trying to recover it and soon as I have any progress I'll share it here!

I hope that if there is someone who knows hot to deal with this problem, he will assist!!!!!!!!!
    02-19-09 06:08 PM
    white screen with an error message.....
    02-19-09 06:57 PM
    same problems sounds like....what the **** is going on?
    02-19-09 06:59 PM
    white screen with an error message.....
    same problems sounds like....what the **** is going on?
    As I stated in the PM a '507' error means you need to load the OS to the device.
    02-19-09 07:48 PM
    ...I'm going through this problem right now.

I have an 8800 on AT&T with a corporate build of the OS. I had been running 4.2 and decided to upgrade. As soon as I did so, I ended up in the constant reboot cycle.

I've tried everything suggested in the forums so far, to no avail. Some hints get me further along in the process.

For example, after I wiped my device, I was getting the "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation." errors. Didn't matter if I was using /NOJVM or not. The only way I was able to get past that was with the battery trick. I started the install with the battery pulled out and I put it back in at the "Wait for device initialization" stage.

I'm still in repeated reboot cycles. I've noticed two things that affect it:

1. If I go back to the 4.2 OS, it works flawlessly. This seems to be a problem brought on by v4.5. And I've tried several different builds--corporate and otherwise. No difference--all of them cause the non-stop rebooting.

2. If I start pressing keys as soon as the AT&T logo comes up, I'm able to use the device. But after I stop any activity (1-2 min), it goes back to rebooting.

While I am a software developer, I don't really know that much about the BlackBerry to make sense of its event log. I just now set the logging level to "Debug", so I'll see if I luck out and get something useful. The "severity" and "event" codes don't appear to be clearly documented anywhere, though I'm still looking.

I'm not particularly convinced that OS 4.5 has been adequately tested for all the BlackBerry models.
    02-20-09 08:04 AM
    FINALLY!

I did more obsessive Googling because this issue was really ticking me off and found my solution. I have a TransFlash card in my 8800 that has some media on it.

I removed it from my BB and everything works perfectly--no reboots! I did have to reformat my media card, but for all the time and frustration spent on this problem, I didn't mind the extra half hour of backing up my files, formatting the card, and copying everything back.

I hope this information proves useful for someone else! It might be worth adding to the OP.
    02-20-09 08:57 AM
    DO NOT use Windows Vista or Windows 7 to recover your dead Blackberry!!!

USE windows XP!!!

This is how I recovered my BB!!! And not with apploader but with Desktop manager. Just start the DM, connected the BB and launch the Updater!!!
    The battery was not disconnected. No special drivers installed. Just those from Win XP!
    It was so simple and easy!!! I hope you can recover yours the same way!

HUGE thanks to everyone that contributed for this great thread!!!!!

GOOD luck to everyone who is still with nuked berry!
    02-20-09 03:20 PM
    DO NOT use Windows Vista or Windows 7 to recover your dead Blackberry!!!

USE windows XP!!!
    This saved me and my blackberry. Thanks a lot.
    02-21-09 11:24 AM
    This saved me and my blackberry. Thanks a lot.
    I'm happy to know that!!!

I want to give some more details about my BB recovery.
    I used Windows XP SP3 and the memory card was not inside (probably this doesn't matter).

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have some driver issues. Definitely under Vista and 7 the "apploader" and "Desktop manager" was not able to "Read BOOT ROM"!
    02-21-09 04:18 PM
    Good job I read this thread. Trying to recover mine after it froze whilst updating.. turns out that Windows 7 doesn't enjoy updating OS. Also doesnt enjoy making it work either!

Simply used XP and worked!
    02-22-09 05:38 AM
    Thank you Reed for posting these instructions. After many sucessful upgrades, I needed to downgrade on my 8320, and was DOA. BB desktop manager, nor JLcmdr would recognize my phone. I am doing your method now to recover my BB (luckilly I backed up before starting). I will let you know how it goes.
    02-22-09 03:20 PM
    I followed the steps using Vista, had to do the JL Cmdr thing but I got there. After it was complete I "restored" my wife's BB with a backup from mine (she had never backed hers up). I thought this would save some time as far as adding contacts and so on. It worked ok BUT now it shows my email address as her default. She gets her mail and not mine but we want to fix that. Any suggestions?
    02-23-09 11:52 AM
    Simple way to fix that, use Advanced Restore to selectivly copy the required data base components.

Restore hers to her last backup. Choose only the Contact / Calender / Notes / Tasks , database for sharing.

You can also locate and edit the setting that provides the name. Email setup is likely the place to find it.
    02-23-09 01:02 PM
    Simple way to fix that, use Advanced Restore to selectivly copy the required data base components.

Restore hers to her last backup. Choose only the Contact / Calender / Notes / Tasks , database for sharing.

You can also locate and edit the setting that provides the name. Email setup is likely the place to find it.
    Thanks Reed,
    I wish I had though about doing the advanced restore before it was too late. I cant restore from her last backup since she has only backed up SINCE i resored from mine messing it up. It puts the same wrong settings back on it.

In Options/Advanced Options/Default Services under Calendar (CICAL) and Messaging (CMIME) Only my info is listed with no way to change it to hers.
    02-23-09 02:04 PM
    I realized, after posting, that you did mention no backups.

It may be as simple as resending your service books. That will overwrite the setting that are currently in place.

You may have to log on to your carriers service page or call the support line.

The other option, a fresh start with blank setting. It will get a fresh set of service books and you can repeat the email setup to insure the information is correct.

Then, back it up and use Advanced Restore.
    02-23-09 02:13 PM
    I realized, after posting, that you did mention no backups.

It may be as simple as resending your service books. That will overwrite the setting that are currently in place.

You may have to log on to your carriers service page or call the support line.

The other option, a fresh start with blank setting. It will get a fresh set of service books and you can repeat the email setup to insure the information is correct.

Then, back it up and use Advanced Restore.
    Thanks again. Newbie question... How do I send my service books?

Disregard... I should have consulted the wonderful Crackberry world of knowledge before i asked. Got it!
    Last edited by rmclevy; 02-23-09 at 02:55 PM.
    02-23-09 02:31 PM
    Hi,

Please im desperate... !!! I finally was updating my BB to the OS 4.5 but while the process it came an error and close the program... it says that there's has been an error and the backup was saved. But now mi bb wont start... its only blinking a red light on the LED.

I take out the battery and its still blinking... WTF???

What should I do???
    02-24-09 02:07 PM
    Hi,

Please im desperate... !!! I finally was updating my BB to the OS 4.5 but while the process it came an error and close the program... it says that there's has been an error and the backup was saved. But now mi bb wont start... its only blinking a red light on the LED.

I take out the battery and its still blinking... WTF???

What should I do???
    follow the instructions from the beginning of this thread try and re install using instructions, but have the battery out of your berry when you connect to your desktop manager. Same thing happened to me and i got it to work after i pulled out battery and reinstalled os.
    02-24-09 02:18 PM
    follow the instructions from the beginning of this thread try and re install using instructions, but have the battery out of your berry when you connect to your desktop manager. Same thing happened to me and i got it to work after i pulled out battery and reinstalled os.
    But the instructions of the very first message... the one that says it could be done starting with Command and all that stuff?? or which one??
    02-24-09 03:28 PM
    But the instructions of the very first message... the one that says it could be done starting with Command and all that stuff?? or which one??
    try the regular way just pull the battery before you connect via usb cable. If that doesn't work try the command prompt way. The reason for command prompt method is if your computer will not read that you connected you berry using desk top manager drivers. Keep trying it took me a few tries before it actually started the install and actually finished the upgrade. I had same issue blinking red light and nothing else, wasn't reading the berry as being connected you are looking for usb connect to be reading as unknown and then force the install.
    02-24-09 03:48 PM
    try the regular way just pull the battery before you connect via usb cable. If that doesn't work try the command prompt way. The reason for command prompt method is if your computer will not read that you connected you berry using desk top manager drivers. Keep trying it took me a few tries before it actually started the install and actually finished the upgrade. I had same issue blinking red light and nothing else, wasn't reading the berry as being connected you are looking for usb connect to be reading as unknown and then force the install.

Yes thats exactly what it does... So if I understand I remove the battery then connect the usb to the pc, run the DM and what else... run the aplication loader???
    02-24-09 03:59 PM
    Yes thats exactly what it does... So if I understand I remove the battery then connect the usb to the pc, run the DM and what else... run the aplication loader???
    yeah run app loader and see what it says, click on update software it should show 4.5 os as upgrade. what version desk top manager are you using?? When I had issue I was using 4.7 manager
    02-24-09 04:17 PM
    I need help here.. What am I doing wrong?

First, I'm running Vista. I'm not having USB troubles after I reformatted (separate issue) so I doubt my problem is with my version of Windows...

My Storm isn't in a constant reboot cycle, it just loads up when I put the battery in it and stays on the error 507 screen until the battery is pulled. I navigate to the apploader folder, launch Loader.exe, get to the next screen where you select your port (COM1, etc.). Here, I'm doing what I've read in the guides and connecting the USB cable to the storm WITHOUT the battery and as soon as the port comes up as USB: UNKNOWN or whatever, I hit next.

From there, the guide is telling me it should be smooth sailing from there if I was fast enough to hit next and to pop the battery in and just wait for the OS to load but once I do that, the phone will start up again, go to the error screen eventually and lose the connection and fail the loading process. Am I doing something wrong?

If it matters, I'm opening Loader by double clicking it. I'm not using command prompts (not sure if that applies to me). If someone can help me, I'd be very grateful. I don't want to have to call Verizon to get my FOURTH Storm. I'll be out of a phone for days and they'll probably give me a problem seeing that I've already went through three in less than three months.

Edit: It took me a bunch of tries but it worked now. Thanks!
    Last edited by soundsawful; 02-25-09 at 09:23 AM.
    02-25-09 09:05 AM
    i bought a used pearl 8130- the previous owner did an OS format- there is no Google Talk, Yahoo messenger, or Facebook application..

can another OS format(upload) help to get these 3 apps back?
    02-26-09 03:57 AM
1,742 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD