I tried this procedure several times on my 8830, every time the application loader wizard would pop up and try to load it that way, but there was no reconized os in the loader
    That is a very common mistake, there are two software downloads, one is specific to your device.

Use Windows / Control Panel / Programs to verify both BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device Software have been installed. Double check the model number too, it has to be an exact match to your device.

If you have the correct software installed, the problem is likely caused by the presence of vendor.xml:

Windows / Computer. Select Drive C:\ and navigate too:

C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Scroll to the bottom of this directory and delete the file vendor.xml.

It should now work correctly.
    01-28-09 10:19 AM
    hello i have a bb storm 9500.. The phone is nuked (keeps rebooting with red light) and ive tried all steps in the forum but still no joy.

I am able to connect to the appl loader, but when i get to the "Wait for device initialization" stage, the phone starts to reboot again and i get the error "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation."

Can anyone help???

Ive also tried wiping but the jl cmder cant connect to the phone cause it keeps rebooting.
    01-29-09 09:08 AM
    hey.. just tried loading with .75 instead of .90 and it works!
    01-29-09 09:46 AM
    Are there any other command line switches available for use other than \NOJVM for C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe

Or any way to force the application to ONLY try USB?
    01-29-09 12:21 PM
    hello i have a bb storm 9500.. The phone is nuked (keeps rebooting with red light) and ive tried all steps in the forum but still no joy.

I am able to connect to the appl loader, but when i get to the "Wait for device initialization" stage, the phone starts to reboot again and i get the error "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation."

Can anyone help???

Ive also tried wiping but the jl cmder cant connect to the phone cause it keeps rebooting.
    Glad to hear you were able to recover it, but the OS verison is not the culprit. The failed to reconnect is usualy a hardware issue with the USB ports. Sometimes they work, sometimes they fail.
    01-29-09 12:41 PM
    Are there any other command line switches available for use other than \NOJVM for C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe

Or any way to force the application to ONLY try USB?
    Apploader is an EXE file, command line switches have to be matched in code, so it is possible to search out the strings in the EXE and look for other string matches.

Doing so is a violation of the Agreements you accepted when you installed it.

I would guess, there are no other switches. This one directly access the forced build command.
    01-29-09 12:45 PM
    I guess then people shouldn't look @ line 4404
    01-29-09 01:23 PM
    Computers are available everywhere. If you don't know anybody with a suitable computer, consider a 1 hour rental on a coffee shop machine, a library or even an in-store demo.

Use your computer to download and save the software. A thumb drive of 1 Gb is plenty and does a very fast install.

When your done, move the backup file to the thumb drive and take it with you.

Purge the computer, clear the Recycle folder.

Your Desktop Manager should be able to backup and restore from there. If you choose to upgrade, go have another coffee.
    none of that helped. no matter what i did, i had a dead blackberry with just the red blinking light of death. i even took my 8110 pearl to a friend's house and tried it on TWO of her computers and NOTHING. turns out that it was NOT a problem with me or my computer or my USB ports -- it's a problem with upgrading the 8110 to the 4.5 operating system. the dead blackberry when upgrading to a new operating system is actually quite common (yes, i did a ton of researching!!) and the fix is simple. (it's odd bc upgrading does work on 8110s fine but on other 8110s, upgrading kills the phone.)

thanks to this person:
    I had same problem but got mine workin again, you need to uninstall 4.5 from pc n uninstall the device software, install 4.3 desktop n 4.3 device software. Restart pc then plug phone to desktop n open desktop when windows recognises the usb port click update via application loader it should reload the phone with 4.3

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    and this person:
    (BBS WITH POST, have to find it ... searching)

my problem was solved and my pearl is fully operational again.

all that is required to fix the dead blackberry is to (downgrade) and install the previous operating system that worked (in my case, the 4.3). it will take some effort to find the older OS but they are still on the blackberry site. (i saved the 4.3 to my PC now so if i ever have this problem again, i wont need to go hunting for it.) when the installation gets to the part where it "failed to connect during a multi-stage operation", you will think that it will give you the same errors. i actually walked away in disgust. moments later, my son babbled something about it looking different. i told him that he has to be mistaken but much to my surprise, it was progressing!

so, please, anyone who attempted to upgrade their pearl to the 4.5 and it nuked their blackberry, go back to the old operating system. that will work.

(i also suspect that the people who are trying to upgrade their storms and get the "failed to connect during a multi-stage operation" or if they get the red-blinking light of death should downgrade to their previous OS, too.)
    Last edited by redtiger; 01-30-09 at 12:17 PM.
    01-30-09 11:16 AM
    Thank you for sharing the success story and congratulations on a difficult recovery.

I will link your post from the original post. Hopefully it will do the job for others that follow in our footsteps.

edit: For some reason, the link is not working correctly. I have posted a reference to the post #384.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-30-09 at 11:48 AM.
    01-30-09 11:34 AM
    Thank you for sharing the success story and congratulations on a difficult recovery.

I will link your post from the original post. Hopefully it will do the job for others that follow in our footsteps.
    you're welcome! i do hope that it helps others. it was so aggravating. i'm still trying to find the other person who said that they downgraded to fix their phone. they also mentioned that since they knew downgrading was a success, they were going to try the upgrade again on another phone or something like that.
    01-30-09 11:39 AM
    So I followed the steps through the command prompt and when I get to the loader /nojvm and hit enter, the application loader wizard immedately pops open. Is that what is supposed to happen? If so, how will I know when the forced rebuild is complete. If not, what am I missing?

Appreciate the help.
    02-01-09 01:41 PM
    big help, thanks
    02-01-09 02:21 PM
    Thank you so Much!
    I made it! You are a genius!
    Grazie!!!!
    02-01-09 02:58 PM

Can anyone help???

I had the same ugly problem and I solved it buy installing .83 version, and now, when I try to update back to .90 the problem occurs again.
    I have resurrected it with .85 also from the " unable to creat " message.
    I'll try with the new .99 version in the next few days.
    Last edited by adigsmx; 02-01-09 at 03:15 PM.
    02-01-09 02:58 PM
    So I followed the steps through the command prompt and when I get to the loader /nojvm and hit enter, the application loader wizard immedately pops open. Is that what is supposed to happen? If so, how will I know when the forced rebuild is complete. If not, what am I missing?

Appreciate the help.

That is exactly what is supposed to happen, Application Loader has opened with a command line switch. The /nojvm switch tell it to force a new build.

Leave it connected until you see the Successful Upgrade message and it has finished restarting.
    02-01-09 03:21 PM
    That is exactly what is supposed to happen, Application Loader has opened with a command line switch. The /nojvm switch tell it to force a new build.

Leave it connected until you see the Successful Upgrade message and it has finished restarting.
    Add me to the long list of believers. There were two odd things about my experience, however. First, I never got the successful upgrade message -- I gave up waiting after two hours and then ran the application loader. Second, I felt like the radio guy in Crimson Tide when I ran the application loader. I seemed to be close but I would get an error message. I tried it several times and each time I would go a little further. Finally, on the fourth or fifth attempt, it ran the entire install and brought my Storm back to life. The demons were exorcised! Thanks very, very much for your help.
    02-02-09 11:26 PM
    Hi I have a Curve 8310 and when I tried to upgrade it to OS 4.5, it went dead and now it won't turn on, just two flashing red lights. Any help?
    02-03-09 06:24 PM
    edit - problem solved, verizon gave me a new phone
    Last edited by redbelly; 02-04-09 at 05:24 PM.
    02-04-09 12:11 AM
    No end of thanks to you for this guide!! Its brought my blackberry back from the dead after a power failure I was left with a solid red light! I managed to erase it with jl_cmder and pop the newest firmware back on it! Nailbiting stuff for the noob but hey it worked!! Amazing stuff
    02-04-09 07:15 AM
    I was able to use this method last time when my phone was in a continuous boot cycle, but will this same procedure work when the phone is just dead (as in the battery is fine but the device just fails to turn on[no red light hourglass or anything.. just black.] and isn't recognized by the computer when plugged into USB) ?

EDIT: Btw I'm using a storm, i dont know if that matters any.
    02-04-09 10:45 AM
    THANKS A MILLION!!!! My Berry had a 507 error with NO APPS WHATSOEVER, not even a usb interface, and this did the trick!!!! Best of luck to all BB users that run into this problem!!! Excellent Guide!!!!
    02-05-09 05:26 AM
    Thanks for saving my Blackberry 8120! My kids pulled the USB cord as the loader was about to complete erasing my BB. All it did was repeat the double red LED flash; pulling the battery didn't help. The screen wouldn't even power up. Follow your instructions saved the Pearl! Now my wife will be happy.
    02-05-09 12:21 PM
    Hi all ,
    I'm not very good in english but i'm french , and i don't understand how to recover a blackberry , someone can explain me please
    02-07-09 04:24 AM
    After some try .. i have now an :
    Code:
    Device Error : 334
    Someone can help me please
    02-07-09 12:14 PM
    Ok I have tried following the instructions on this thread to no avail. I have tried multiple times actually. My phone is in a constant reboot. It goes from the black screen with the little timer in it, to the white screen with a little timer in it, then it flashes an error message but it goes away so quickly i can't tell what it is. then the screen goes black with the LED light solid red, then starts the cycle over. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I have also tried wiping it with JL_CMDR with no luck. It would never connect and trust me I tried for about 20 minutes straight to get it to connect.
    Please help!
    Bricked Storm Owner!
    02-07-09 05:41 PM
1,742 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD