... Then I get "unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation".

after over 12 hrs of reading the net, it seems this is a common problem. if RIM is aware of the problems with updating the software, they really should make that announcement big and bold for everyone to see. --UPDATERS: BEWARE! UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!-- ...

This seems like a common issue, but the actual incidence is very small. It is a hardware problem, not with the BlackBerry, but with the USB connection to the host computer.

BlackBerry is well aware of the problem, they have published a paper on USB troubleshooting. It usually does the trick, but the last resort is to try it on a different computer. It usually works the first time.

View Document
    01-18-09 10:36 AM
    HEEEEEELLLPPP!!!!!! I think I've just killed my Husbands BB 8320!! :-(
    I tried to download OS 4.5 and half way through the "connecting to device" stage "App Error 523" popped up. I have tried to download it for the last 4 hours and I've got work in the morning...He is Tampin'!
    I tried the method at the start of the thread...Apploader, Delete vendor, Start, Command etc... and all that shows up in the black box is C:\ User\Bethan> (thats my name btw!!) nothing else!"! He is evil with me now...especially as I downloaded OS 4.5 for my 8300. I now have video camera on mine and was trying to do the same for him.
    We live in the UK and I went to BlackBerry Uk for the OS 4.5 download. His carrier is Orange. Our computer is winows vista.
    What the **** am I doing wrong???
    The first thing I noticed, your husband has an 8320 and you have an 8300. Have you installed two device OS packages?

You can verify that from Windows / Control Panel / Programs. You should have three BlackBerrys listings, the Desktop Manager and two Device OS packages. One will be specific to your 8300 and the other for the 8320.

If you have the 8320 OS package installed, we can focus on the Command line issues.

all that shows up in the black box is C:\ User\Bethan> ...
    That is exactly what expect to see. There should also be a flashing cursor after the prompt. If you type, characters will be displayed and commands executed when you press Enter.

The key is to enter each command line, then press Enter. The prompt will change to indicate the command was successful. If there are spelling errors, you will get an snarky message and a chance to try it again.

01-18-09 10:48 AM
    ...All you need is the link that several posted in this thread:

Now that I've been through the process, feel free to PM me if you need more help. I'd be happy to help.
    Thank you for your comment. As it happens, this is the thread you were linked too.

I suspect few will take you up on the offer of PM assistance, but you are welcome to contribute to this thread. As you can see, there are plenty of members that are in need of support when this happens.
    01-18-09 10:51 AM
    This seems like a common issue, but the actual incidence is very small. It is a hardware problem, not with the BlackBerry, but with the USB connection to the host computer.

BlackBerry is well aware of the problem, they have published a paper on USB troubleshooting. It usually does the trick, but the last resort is to try it on a different computer. It usually works the first time.

i read the document -- yesterday. it didn't help. i have only one computer. i tried all my USB ports.
    01-18-09 11:31 AM
    i read the document -- yesterday. it didn't help. i have only one computer. i tried all my USB ports.
    Computers are available everywhere. If you don't know anybody with a suitable computer, consider a 1 hour rental on a coffee shop machine, a library or even an in-store demo.

Use your computer to download and save the software. A thumb drive of 1 Gb is plenty and does a very fast install.

When your done, move the backup file to the thumb drive and take it with you.

Purge the computer, clear the Recycle folder.

Your Desktop Manager should be able to backup and restore from there. If you choose to upgrade, go have another coffee.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-18-09 at 12:16 PM.
    01-18-09 12:10 PM
    you are AMAZING, i was about to cry until i stumbled upon this thread
    i love u man

this saved my **** big time
    Followed instructions and it worked to a tee.

Thx Very Much
    Thank you all for the kind words and congratulations on making your BlackBerry right again. That is my reward, you all have contributed to making my day.
    01-18-09 12:20 PM
    The first thing I noticed, your husband has an 8320 and you have an 8300. Have you installed two device OS packages?

You can verify that from Windows / Control Panel / Programs. You should have three BlackBerrys listings, the Desktop Manager and two Device OS packages. One will be specific to your 8300 and the other for the 8320.

If you have the 8320 OS package installed, we can focus on the Command line issues.

That is exactly what expect to see. There should also be a flashing cursor after the prompt. If you type, characters will be displayed and commands executed when you press Enter.

The key is to enter each command line, then press Enter. The prompt will change to indicate the command was successful. If there are spelling errors, you will get an snarky message and a chance to try it again.

Thanks for your reply Reed, but after trying for ages and my husband giving me the evils I took it into the store where it was purchased from... it is still under warantee THANK GOD!!!! The salesman said it could be repaired free of charge. Hubby will only be without it for about 10 days. He is having serious withdrawal though!! I have been having some issues with mine since I upgraded to 4.5 OS. I think I should have left it alone. I hereby announce that I am rubbish at this upgrading malarky and will leave well alone in future!!! lol

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I'll start a new thread...."If you think you know what you're doing, the chances are that you don't!! LEAVE WELL ALONE!!!"
    01-18-09 03:54 PM
    Same problem. When I typed in 'Command' into the run option, an error came up saying the system isn't suitable for running MS Dos.
    01-18-09 09:57 PM
    Extreme Noobility, here, but ...

I recovered my storm after an App Error 200 issue, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the OS did not change...I woulda thunk it would go back to out of box mode. Silly me.

Thanks for the help!!
    01-19-09 02:34 AM
    is it at all possible to recover the OS while recovering all of my contacts and files first? or just recover the files off my dead blackberry without restoring it?

i didn't really back up my blackberry often
    01-19-09 04:13 AM
    Same problem. When I typed in 'Command' into the run option, an error came up saying the system isn't suitable for running MS Dos.
    Windows XP: Start / Run / Command opens a new window running command.com.

The only reason I think of, are you using a company supplied machine with customized software? It is possible to remove low level programs to prevent users from making unanticipated changes to their computers.

01-19-09 10:43 AM
    is it at all possible to recover the OS while recovering all of my contacts and files first? or just recover the files off my dead blackberry without restoring it?

i didn't really back up my blackberry often
    These instruction bypass the normal maintenance commands which do preserve data. This will force a fresh OS build, but does not attempt to preserve data or settings. On start up, you will be prompted for a default language, truly "out of the box" condition.

If you do not have a current backup, you will not be able to recover.

Are you able to connect to BlackBerry Desktop Manager and does it recognize your PIN number? Hopefully, we can recover the data first, then proceed with a rebuild.
    01-19-09 10:51 AM
    it only recognizes the PIN number when the battery is not connected. if it is connected with the battery, it only recognizes "USB."
    01-19-09 10:59 AM
    it only recognizes the PIN number when the battery is not connected. if it is connected with the battery, it only recognizes "USB."
    I am testing here, when I pull my battery and connect to USB, I do not get a PIN confirmation in Desktop Manager. I do get a red led and a faint battery failure screen.

If your problem is a battery failure, you do not need to over write your BlackBerry. Examine and clean the four Gold contacts, use a pink rubber eraser to remove any contamination. Have you tried a replacement battery from the same model?

If your device is working properly, the connection problem could be in your USB port software. Try doing a repair re-install of BlackBerry Desktop Software from the Windows Control Panel / Programs. That will make sure all the correct software and settings are in place.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-19-09 at 12:04 PM.
    01-19-09 11:59 AM
    I have tested a brand new battery with my phone, and it still does not work. I don't think it's a battery problem.

Also, with the battery disconnected, my phone has the red LED and the battery failure screen as well when connected to the computer. The desktop software recognizes the PIN, but says the blackberry is disconnected even after selecting the PIN.

I tried repairing the desktop manager software, but that had no change.
    01-19-09 02:55 PM
    I have tested a brand new battery with my phone, and it still does not work. I don't think it's a battery problem.

Also, with the battery disconnected, my phone has the red LED and the battery failure screen as well when connected to the computer. The desktop software recognizes the PIN, but says the blackberry is disconnected even after selecting the PIN.

I tried repairing the desktop manager software, but that had no change.
    Got you, signs of life but no response.

Do you glimpse a PIN number after inserting the battery? If so, it is a matter of timing to capture it. Kevin describes his capture technique, basicaly a matter of knowing when it is due and clicking the button in anticipation. Time it a couple times, be ready to react instantly.

If not, there is little hope of recovering the data.

It may still be possible to force a build, but that means data loss.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-19-09 at 03:38 PM.
    01-19-09 03:36 PM
    Please someone help me!! My BB has died in spectacular fashion. I tried to put the new software 4.5 onto it and it just died and now only flashes red, as described above. I have gone through BB 101 a million times now, and stumble at the App Loader - it won't load for love nor money. Hence, my BB remains dead and what should have taken me 45 mins (as advertised) I have been at for 3 hours. Any suggestions?!
    Thanku
    01-19-09 03:41 PM
    no, the PIN never shows up if i insert it with the battery.

i think i could rebuild it, but i care more about the data. i already ordered a new blackberry...but i just want the data off of this one. so there's no way to recover the data?
    01-19-09 03:42 PM
    It may be possible, but I suspect it would take the resources of a well equipped specialty shop.

The odds are good your data is intact, the challenge is getting to it.

At this point, we have determined the USB connection does not respond. That could be a hardware problem, it is common enough that it is a listed service with BlackBerry specialty repair shops. That would be my next step.

Several will show up in a google search.
    01-19-09 03:55 PM
    i have tried the steps on crackberry.com, using the forum blackberry 101...i have successful reinstalled/updates desktop manager. All is well until it is time to load my applications...it says there are none there. i have been working on this for several hours, and i am at a lost...i thought updating/installing desktop manager would be the only other thing that i would need to do, am i missing a step somewhere?
    01-20-09 05:37 PM
    There are two steps, it sounds like you have the first one, BlackBerry Desktop Software, installed correctly.

Step two, download and install your device OS software. You can use your carriers approved version or upgrade to a later version.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

or

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-124-a-137570/
    01-21-09 11:47 AM
    Im having a few issues..... I attempted to update my 8100 pearl and my power went out mid install =( im trying to use your guide because I get the 2 flashes the pasues and so on. my problem is that once dos boots the program it only searches the com ports and doesnt find the device. And for some reason windows isnt recognizing the device either..... any ideas?
    01-21-09 05:04 PM
    I read a little more and discovered that its merely a windows 7 issue. The USB drivers are crappin on me =/ Stupid microsoft....
    01-21-09 05:18 PM
    So after i press the last command... the box popped up and atfirst it showed my pin then said pin unknown then said com 3 or whatever the other thing is... then it goes to the next page and says that blackberry has nothing to ................... etc etc.... and i dont want to add apps or delete anything, i just want my blackberry to simply turn on like normal... any way you could tell me what im doing wrong?
    01-22-09 11:29 PM
    I have an 8130 pearl. I am usually good with this kind of stuff but im just lost! and depressed i haven't had a phone in 3 days and no one can get a hold of me
    01-22-09 11:45 PM
1,742 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD