Hi guys, I just want to know if anyone can help me!!?

First, let me explain the condition of the phone. It was given from a friend which he dont know why it stuff up....just went dead one day I guess. I have NEVER own or use a BlackBerry before.

At the start when I got the phone I put my sim card in...and boot when I move the ball in the middle u can hear clicks sounds but nothing on the screen or keypad light up. but [b]I can actually calls myself [b]because at times the green light flashes. Then I look thru google unnuke etc....I enter the password 10 times and delete everything, try verison 4.5 and 4.3 they both install fine no issue. When I put the battery in the RED LED light up for say 3 secs then off nothing happens....but sometimes after pressing the end call button and press the side button, I believe it is the voice reconition works...woman voice asking me to speak. So the phone is not REALLY DEAD DEAD...but nothing turns on? Sometimes when I plug the phone to the USB the LED light up GREEN all the time as well.

I have try the following,

Version 4.5 and 4.3 with and without the vender.xml, noJVM I have read alot still no luck, please help......

Also can someone tell me after I load in the OS, then take out the battery for few minutes I put it back in, what it suppose to happen and what I suppose to press. I have try to press end call nothing happen leave it there for mins/hours dont work....please help...the thing is I know it is not dead...but dont know how to fix it.

Also when I load the OS with apploader it detects the phone's USB with a PIN number too not just unknown for some of the user in this forum....

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Thanks..
    I suspect a hardware problem with the LCD screen.

If you can make calls and use Voice dialing, the logic board is working fine.

It could be as simple as bad connection, or it may require replacing the screen assembly.

A full restart begins with a white screen and a spinning hour glass. In a few moments, the carrier logo is displayed and the desktop is built. There is a security check just before it finishes.

With a dead LCD, you would see nothing.
    01-07-09 06:18 PM
    Thx Read, I should have voted for you
    Very useful and well explained. Was getting really desperate with my first dead BB.

After putting in the commands (the XP commands worked for me on Vista ) I switched to Kevin's 101 How to reload...
    because I dind't understand the bit where you say
    When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start.
    5. When it has finished, unplug it from the USB port and wait for it to finish start-up. Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.
    When hitting the last command the old 4.2 style App Loader Wizard turned up so I didn't take out the USB as I first understood it from you. From there on I followed Kevin's 101

THX my dear BB is arising from death in these very moments...
    What a horrible sight a dead BB, never want to see that again!
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will reword that part of the instructions. Leave the USB connected until it has rebooted, just to be sure. Disconnecting it too soon would result in a failed upgrade.

I am honoured to have been nominated, and I am so pleased to share the nomination with these fine members.
    01-07-09 06:24 PM
    Well...I still haven't got my BB fix...but I have a go at this issue...hahaha...

U need to make sure u have battery in the phone?! Also try the nojvm command.
    If that was about my post then yes, lol, the battery was in and I can't type anything on the DOS command because it automatically shows that text when it opens and I can't delete it. It seems that everyone can get this except me.
    01-07-09 06:30 PM
    Someone please help my frustration. I've been reading forum after forum, post after post and I just can't get it!

I'm attempting to help repair a friend's BB 8100 pearl. It's stuck on the infinite reboot. I can get everything all set with the application loader, but once it switches to waiting for device initialization it starts that loop again, then says something along the lines of unable to reconnect after multiple something or other.

I have tried to MS-DOS thing, but when I open it and the box pops up it already says [/b]"C:\documents and settings\user> (it actually says my sister's name but that wasn't important lol).[/b] So, with that already on the screen I can't type ANYTHING in correctly cause it won't go away!

I was on my computer for 5 hours last night trying everything I could find on the internet, but every option failed. I'm only being so persistent because I've read that others have fixed this exact problem.

She'll survive and get a new phone if this is a lost cause, but I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that I may have failed lol.

I know everyone here is awesome and you've been there for me before, so I'm holding my breath waiting for anything anyone might have to help out!!! THANKS!
    You are looking in the wrong place. Windows has a multi user design, each user has a seperate area for their custom setting and data.

The first command is: CD \ Enter

That will put you in the correct starting place.
    01-07-09 06:31 PM
    We don't even have the multiple users anymore, just the files are there. And actually when i go to "run" and type "command" it gives me an error of some sort, but if I type "cmd" the box comes up, but again that's where i get the C:\documents and settings stuff. So where is it that I'm typing CD? In the "run" option? I'm not so hot with computers lol.
    01-07-09 06:37 PM
    Duh, I just reread your first post and figured it out. No more late nights for me! Another question though, should the media card be taken out during this process?
    01-07-09 06:39 PM
    Ok, now I'm home on my own computer playing around with this whole recovery thing. Here are my questions:

1. Should the media card be taken out, or does that not matter?

2. Does the SIM card have to be in there?

3. Once you hit enter after the last command "LOADER /NOJVM" is the application loader supposed to open?

Right now I have taken out the media card, she has her SIM card in another phone, and once I hit enter that last time the application loader opens, takes me through the steps and once again we get to "waiting for device initialization" and the rebooting starts up again. It then tries to reconnect to JVM and eventually says "unable to reconnect device during a multi-stage load operation". I'm driving myself nuts over here.
    01-07-09 09:48 PM
    Reed, Thanks for the reply....I did open up the phone, checked connection all looks ok with no problem main board checked no crack nothing!!! everything seems fine...

the thing is if it is the screen wont the keypad light up too? but the keypad not lighting up...also nothing seems to work...but that side button u press u get sound...so the phone is on but not connected to network.....

Also say after I install the OS put the battery in...which button do I mean to press to start it....the end call button? this is for blackberry 8110.

I have been playing with this for 3 days already......I dont want to give up coz I really think its a software problem then hardware...and I havent used a blackberry before so I dont really know how to get it started..and what meant to happen at times.

Thanks.

Oh...and I cant make any calls and receive any.....

I suspect a hardware problem with the LCD screen.

If you can make calls and use Voice dialing, the logic board is working fine.

It could be as simple as bad connection, or it may require replacing the screen assembly.

A full restart begins with a white screen and a spinning hour glass. In a few moments, the carrier logo is displayed and the desktop is built. There is a security check just before it finishes.

With a dead LCD, you would see nothing.
    Last edited by sunnyii; 01-07-09 at 11:29 PM.
    01-07-09 11:27 PM
    I love you. Reed McLay
    01-08-09 01:31 PM
    Ok, now I'm home on my own computer playing around with this whole recovery thing. Here are my questions:

1. Should the media card be taken out, or does that not matter?

2. Does the SIM card have to be in there?

3. Once you hit enter after the last command "LOADER /NOJVM" is the application loader supposed to open?

Right now I have taken out the media card, she has her SIM card in another phone, and once I hit enter that last time the application loader opens, takes me through the steps and once again we get to "waiting for device initialization" and the rebooting starts up again. It then tries to reconnect to JVM and eventually says "unable to reconnect device during a multi-stage load operation". I'm driving myself nuts over here.

You are making good progress, but you have encountered another problem. The USB port is not making a reliable connection with the BlackBerry.

BlackBerry support has published a paper for trouble shooting USB problems.

View Document

If none of these help, try it on a different computer.

SIM and Media card are not needed for the recovery, but no problem either way.
    01-08-09 03:08 PM
    Reed, Thanks for the reply....I did open up the phone, checked connection all looks ok with no problem main board checked no crack nothing!!! everything seems fine...

the thing is if it is the screen wont the keypad light up too? but the keypad not lighting up...also nothing seems to work...but that side button u press u get sound...so the phone is on but not connected to network.....

Also say after I install the OS put the battery in...which button do I mean to press to start it....the end call button? this is for blackberry 8110.

I have been playing with this for 3 days already......I dont want to give up coz I really think its a software problem then hardware...and I havent used a blackberry before so I dont really know how to get it started..and what meant to happen at times.

Thanks.

Oh...and I cant make any calls and receive any.....
    The side button is programmed for Voice Activated Dialing. If you get the "Say a command" prompt, you have a working Operating System.

Nothing is getting to the screen or from the keyboard, that can only be a hardware problem.

If your Network connections have turned off, you can no longer make or receive calls. Normally, It would be a simple matter of turning them back on, but without a display or keyboard, you can't do that.

The restart after a battery pull is automatic, there is no need to press any of the buttons.
    01-08-09 03:16 PM
    I love you. Reed McLay
    Thank you. I appreciate the thought.
    01-08-09 03:18 PM
    Well, I pretty much tried everything and I'm throwing in the towel. Good thing the forums have a rule about vulgarity cause I certainly have some choice words lol. Thank you so much for your help Reed, but I think that stupid little phone was just working against me. I'm just glad it's not mine!!! Thanks again!
    01-08-09 08:05 PM
    [QUOTE=Reed McLay;281396][color=green]When your device fails to start, it show one of these symptoms:

1. Totally dead.

2. Trying to restart, LED activity only.

3. Failed to start, a white screen with an error message.

__________________________________________________ ________

1. Physical damage, water is the worst enemy of delicate electronic device. Try drying it with a desiccant and replacing the battery. If there is no activity, you can still try the last ditch technique, nothing to loose anyway.

2. Your device is not able to start, something has gone wrong and the OS is corrupt.

3. Geeks call this an "Uncaught exception error". That is a polite way of saying, the last thread has terminated, the OS has halted because it is corrupt.

In many cases, the Application Loader can be used from Desktop Manager or Windows, see Ref #1 for the CrackBerry 101 discussion.

If that fails to connect, there is one final solution. Go Old Skool ...

__________________________________________________ ________

The good news, starting from scratch, you will be back in service in a couple of hours.

1. In order to restore the device, you need to have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed. The original, as supplied on the BlackBerry CD is adaquite. Tip: If you choose to download the newest v4.3, you can save a lot of time by choosing custom install and disabling Roxio Media Manager. At start-up, it really slows things down until it has built up it index of media. Ref #2 links to BlackBerry's download site.

2. After it is installed, you need to install a BlackBerry OS file that is specific to your device. The original version, as supplied by the carrier, is the safe choice, but you can use any model specific version. This is not supplied on your BlackBerry CD, Ref: 3 links to BlackBerry's download pages.

3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.

Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.

Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.

Navigate to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.XML file.

4. You are now ready to restore your device. Verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager is NOT running. Plug the device directly into the computer's USB port.

We are about to venture into the bowls of the beast. Windows is not suitable for this job, we are going to invoke the Command line interface with an option switch. This was the way all 'puters worked prior to Mcintosh and Windows.

Windows XP: Start / Run... / Command

Windows Vista: Start / Command (type this into 'start search')

You will see a black window similar to this. I have used UPPERCASE to highlight the typed commands.

Windows Vista

Windows XP

When using Vista 64 bit operating systems the command should look like this...

CD \
    CD PROGRAM FILES (x86)
    CD COMMON FILES
    CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
    CD APPLOADER
    LOADER /NOJVM

When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I got up to here and it loaded the application loader. The computer recognized my pin number.A connection couldn't be established with the device. Tried it again, same thing.
    Now what?
    Please help me from a mindless upgrade...I wanted and did not need!!
    01-08-09 10:26 PM
    you are AMAZING, i was about to cry until i stumbled upon this thread
    01-08-09 11:29 PM
    well I have now tried this on 4 different phones and it still will not force an install of the OS. Every time it says CANNOT find device.
    01-12-09 10:48 PM
    With water, you can try to dry it out and hope for the best.

The best advise I have seen, use dry rice in a sealed container with the device. The rice will act as a dissicant, extracting the last traces of moisture.

A couple days in a warm place, one last hope.
    hahahahaha
    Last edited by jordanrhoat; 01-13-09 at 09:50 PM.
    01-13-09 09:48 PM
    *edit 4*

****** IF YOU'RE HAVING USB ISSUES SKIP TO THE BOTTOM *****

I have a 8330 that failed midway through a software update.

The device comes up as unrecognized USB after the botched flash and I have tried running JL_Cmd, running Loader /nojvm, just can't see the device.

The device partially boots, at first I get an hour glass, then a screen that looks a lot like the options menu that says BlackBerry Platofrm 3.2.0.55 on it (I think it's a text version of the main screen).

Once this screen comes up I get a popup saying Uncaght exception, null pointer, blah blah blah. Doesn't tell me what module. There is no context menu available.

Rolling through the options most items give me the error starting message (module missing).

I can start SavedMessages and SetupWizard, but obviously they are of little value. Trying to start Calculator gives me an error about an image being missing and starting Alarm gives me just a Uncaught Except null pointer message with no reference as to where the exception popped.

Is there any hope for this thing? I was running desktop 4.6, I tried forcing the drivers to install on the unrecognized device, I tried uninstalling 4.6 and installing 4.7, forcing the drivers again.

When I plug it in I get two unknown devices that pop up in device manager.

The device instance ID's are:

USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&C0988&0&5

I know it should start USB\VID_0fCA but this BB seems to have an identify crisis. I've added a USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 entry to RimUsbNT.inf and tried forcing the driver, but windows either doesn't like the escaped value before the second & (\5) or windows just ignores a vendor and product of all 0's.

I'm stumped, opened to ideas.

I really wish that RIM would put a standard basic boot loader in startup sequence, but I'm guessing it's not there as part of the security model on the jvm.

*edit* had two unknown devices, the other was a card reader, removed it from the chan, it's ID'ing the bb ending in &5

*edit 2*
    I think I'm on to something. I've been able to get windows to see the device as a "Blackberry Smartphone". I'm basically flailing about but I've noticed the following.

I still had power saving enabled on one of the usb root hubs on my system (missed it earlier) so it's possible that's what is different.

I put the battery in while the phone was plugged into the computer and I held the mute button down. I was able to run JL Cmder, but I'm not sure if the wipe command took, the main screen came back up.

I have been able to successfully get the loader to see the device (I didn't have the device software installed so I had to shut it back down).

I just installed the device software package, started the loader /nojvm, plugged in the blackberry WITHOUT the battery in, and suddenly windows prompted me to point it to a driver, I gave it the driver and quickly clicked next on the loader and it grabbed the device USB-UNKNOWN pin. It's now loading the software.

I'm thinking that disabling power management on the usb hub that the BB was connecting and maybe plugging it in without the battery, allowed it to wake up and be scene before the incomplete OS loaded and started giving the goofy USB id?

*edit 3*

Progress, but a bonehead move. Forgot to delete vendor.xml, now I'm at a 507. Trying the loader again.

*edit 4*

Ok, I now have a functioning 8330 again. IF YOU'RE HAVING USB ISSUES, PLEASE READ THIS:

As I stated above I was having problems with the USB unknown device issue, then having an issue with an unknown pin and the multistage load error after getting my device to an Error 507 condition (which was progress).

There are several posts in here referring to the RIM documentation on USB issues, for me at least the answer was partially in there and I understated the importance of it the first time I read it.

First; It seems like you ABSOLUTELY MUST disable power management on the USB root hubs in device manager.

AGAIN DISABLE POWER MANAGEMENT ON THE USB ROOT HUBS IN DEVICE MANAGER

Second; each time you try, remove battery, plug cable in, THEN put the battery back in. Without this you will probably miss the window to grab the device from the loader. In my frantic attempt to restore this device while still working on other stuff I apparently missed other peoples notes on this.

Third: Do not be afraid to try loading it from another computer. This is more of a touchy-feely observation but I was able to get my device from a partially loaded OS down to a 507 error on my desktop at work. It wasn't until I got home I was able to get past this. I don't know if it's a timing issue on different USB controllers, different software, but I was only able to get the device restored after several tries on my home computer.

Fourth (or maybe third-part 2): I ended up with the USB-UNKOWN pin issues on my desktop at work, on my home computer after trying a loader /nojvm, I had a failed multi-stage error, but on reboot the device started up usb-unknown, then USB-12345 (my pin) . When plugging the cable in, the device would show up, then I heard the noise it disconnected, and then it showed up with the real pin again. When I would try to click next the USB disconnect noise would occur and the device would show up USB-UKNOWN. After several attempts to proceed when the real pin was showing, I gave up and just ran the loader again and it worked.

Fifth: Be careful when using desktop manager 4.7. After I got to the error 507 point, I tried using the DM to reload the OS (after several direct loader attempts). DM 4.7 will poll the internet for the latest Device Software from your carrier and for me it presented two different versions of 4.5.0.77 to load, one marked (Preferred) which happened to be the internet one, not the local one. I don't know for sure if this factored into anything, but if you're trying to load a specific version, expand the items and look at the description, it'll say something to the effect of Local version for the one on your coputer.

I can't stress this enough; PERSISTENCE IS KEY. I did a ton of Googling, went through this thread and others, several times. Tried JL_Cmder (which does not seem to like unknown pins) several times. I had a series of issues that were not exactly defined in any of the threads, but ultimate by trying different attacks from this thread and others combined with jiggling the handle a enough times, I got the toilet to stop running.

Massive thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
    Last edited by kernelhappy; 01-15-09 at 07:31 AM.
    01-14-09 04:26 PM
    HEEEEEELLLPPP!!!!!! I think I've just killed my Husbands BB 8320!! :-(
    I tried to download OS 4.5 and half way through the "connecting to device" stage "App Error 523" popped up. I have tried to download it for the last 4 hours and I've got work in the morning...He is Tampin'!
    I tried the method at the start of the thread...Apploader, Delete vendor, Start, Command etc... and all that shows up in the black box is C:\ User\Bethan> (thats my name btw!!) nothing else!"! He is evil with me now...especially as I downloaded OS 4.5 for my 8300. I now have video camera on mine and was trying to do the same for him.
    We live in the UK and I went to BlackBerry Uk for the OS 4.5 download. His carrier is Orange. Our computer is winows vista.
    What the **** am I doing wrong???
    01-14-09 05:59 PM
    Dropped my Pearl in the snow yesterday, I had a silicone sleeve for it and not a lot of snow got on it. I tried to blow all the snow off of it and stupidly I didn't take the battery out. It looked fine so I didn't worry about it.

However, when I got to work the Camera Flash was constantly on and there was nothing on the screen, and no response to the keypad.

I finally took the battery out and have been trying to dry it out for the past two days but everytime I put the battery back in the Camera Flash just comes on and there is nothing I can do.

Like I said, I don't think there is much hope but if anybody has any advice I'm all ears?
    01-14-09 09:52 PM
    i love u man

this saved my **** big time
    01-17-09 10:18 PM
    Is this old news? Some really cool people helped me when I THOUGHT I had screwed mine up bigtime. All you need is the link that several posted in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bri...ade-os-135827/

Now that I've been through the process, feel free to PM me if you need more help. I'd be happy to help.
    01-17-09 11:05 PM
    hi. i've been working on this for over 12 hrs now. all i tried to do was upgrade my OS to 4.5 from 4.3 and it killed my pearl 8110. i did it from where i was supposed to: the blackberry site and used the AT&T links. now the phone led stays red for about 5 sec, then turns off and then on for 5 sec. it repeats ad naseum. it's an expensive paperweight.

i bought the phone beg december 2008 from a non-AT&T retail store and i'm only about 40 days into the new AT&T contract. i did not buy from AT&T bc they wanted $120 more for the phone. first week of january, i had to exchange the phone at the store bc it would not delete some messages no matter what i did, until i removed the battery, and it kept giving me errors when i accessed messages. (the new phone ALSO will refuse to delete some messages unless i take out the battery so i'm guessing that its not a phone issue, rather a software issue. that's the reason why i was doing the software update.)

i called AT&T to get the phone swapped out. it is under warranty, after all.
    girl #1: Sorry, we cannot help you, you did not buy it from us.

pretend mgr: it's a B&W issue, you did not buy the phone from us, i'm not wasting anymore of at&t's time. (yes, he really DID say that he wasn't going to waste anymore of at&t's time.)

girl #2: oh wow, he was rude! warranty can swap that out for you but they are closed. she gave me their number.
    not sure that warranty will help but i'll try when they reopen.

i've tried EVERYTHING on the first post of this thread and the blackberry 101: how to reload. the blinking light goes away after i quickly click "connect to unknown pin" and it looks like its a success BUT it doesn't work bc once its done with "Load JVM and system software" and moves on to "Wait for device initialization", the light blinks again and again and again. Then I get "unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation".

after over 12 hrs of reading the net, it seems this is a common problem. if RIM is aware of the problems with updating the software, they really should make that announcement big and bold for everyone to see. --UPDATERS: BEWARE! UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK!--

so, does anyone have any suggestions to getting this phone work? thank you in advance, i hope.

UPDATE COMMENT:

i should mention that i did go to the "unable to reconnect" thread and had already followed blackberry's steps. didn't help. the only thing that i cannot do (bc i dont know how) is directly connect the BB to the PC without using a USB.

p.s. -- why can't i use smileys or different fonts or bold or underline or italics? i did underline and italics here but that's bc i put in the html codes.
    Last edited by redtiger; 01-18-09 at 02:05 AM.
    01-18-09 01:49 AM
    Followed instructions and it worked to a tee.

Thx Very Much
    01-18-09 09:48 AM
    I still had power saving enabled on one of the usb root hubs on my system (missed it earlier) so it's possible that's what is different.

...*edit 4*

Ok, I now have a functioning 8330 again. IF YOU'RE HAVING USB ISSUES, PLEASE READ THIS:

As I stated above I was having problems with the USB unknown device issue, then having an issue with an unknown pin and the multistage load error after getting my device to an Error 507 condition (which was progress).

There are several posts in here referring to the RIM documentation on USB issues, for me at least the answer was partially in there and I understated the importance of it the first time I read it.

First; It seems like you ABSOLUTELY MUST disable power management on the USB root hubs in device manager.

AGAIN DISABLE POWER MANAGEMENT ON THE USB ROOT HUBS IN DEVICE MANAGER

Second; each time you try, remove battery, plug cable in, THEN put the battery back in. Without this you will probably miss the window to grab the device from the loader. In my frantic attempt to restore this device while still working on other stuff I apparently missed other peoples notes on this.

Third: Do not be afraid to try loading it from another computer. This is more of a touchy-feely observation but I was able to get my device from a partially loaded OS down to a 507 error on my desktop at work. It wasn't until I got home I was able to get past this. I don't know if it's a timing issue on different USB controllers, different software, but I was only able to get the device restored after several tries on my home computer.

Fourth (or maybe third-part 2): I ended up with the USB-UNKOWN pin issues on my desktop at work, on my home computer after trying a loader /nojvm, I had a failed multi-stage error, but on reboot the device started up usb-unknown, then USB-12345 (my pin) . When plugging the cable in, the device would show up, then I heard the noise it disconnected, and then it showed up with the real pin again. When I would try to click next the USB disconnect noise would occur and the device would show up USB-UKNOWN. After several attempts to proceed when the real pin was showing, I gave up and just ran the loader again and it worked.

Fifth: Be careful when using desktop manager 4.7. After I got to the error 507 point, I tried using the DM to reload the OS (after several direct loader attempts). DM 4.7 will poll the internet for the latest Device Software from your carrier and for me it presented two different versions of 4.5.0.77 to load, one marked (Preferred) which happened to be the internet one, not the local one. I don't know for sure if this factored into anything, but if you're trying to load a specific version, expand the items and look at the description, it'll say something to the effect of Local version for the one on your coputer.

I can't stress this enough; PERSISTENCE IS KEY. I did a ton of Googling, went through this thread and others, several times. Tried JL_Cmder (which does not seem to like unknown pins) several times. I had a series of issues that were not exactly defined in any of the threads, but ultimate by trying different attacks from this thread and others combined with jiggling the handle a enough times, I got the toilet to stop running.

Massive thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
    Thank you for that detailed reply, glad to hear you got it restored.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-18-09 at 10:37 AM.
    01-18-09 10:29 AM
1,742 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD