Hi guys.

This is my first post here on Crackberry. I purchased a new tour with verizon the 9630 two months ago and it is my first Blackberry.

I am trying to get use to it but it is a long process. I am completely new to this and am probably way behind on times but I cannot get the OS 5 on my blackberry. I have installed desktop manager and even went to verizon's website and tried to get an upgrade download from there. I cannot get it to push to my phone or even recognize the software. Please somebody help me and tell me a step by step on how to get the new software. I am really looking forward to the feature that I have read about with the threaded SMS.

Please help
    01-21-10 08:20 PM
    Hi guys.

This is my first post here on Crackberry. I purchased a new tour with verizon the 9630 two months ago and it is my first Blackberry.

I am trying to get use to it but it is a long process. I am completely new to this and am probably way behind on times but I cannot get the OS 5 on my blackberry. I have installed desktop manager and even went to verizon's website and tried to get an upgrade download from there. I cannot get it to push to my phone or even recognize the software. Please somebody help me and tell me a step by step on how to get the new software. I am really looking forward to the feature that I have read about with the threaded SMS.

Please help
    Everything you need to know is here:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series

Read It, Learn It, Live It!
    01-21-10 08:22 PM
    Hi,

I have read the part about how to install or upgrade but my desktop manager will not recognize an update
    01-21-10 08:28 PM
    Read all the directions, do not skip a step

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    01-21-10 08:32 PM
    Hi,

I have read the part about how to install or upgrade but my desktop manager will not recognize an update
    DM will not recognize an update because VZW has not officially released 5.0 for their 9630's. You need to download the Official MTS Mobility 5.0.0.419 and install it on your PC then remove the vendor.xml file then use loader.exe in C:>ProgramFiles>CommonFiles>Research In Motion>AppLoader>Loader to install the OS to your device.

Also make sure you use DM to backup all your personal info and BBSAK (BBSwissArmyKnife) to backup your 3rd party apps, as they are not backed up in the first backup with DM.

You can find BBSAK HERE

Also personally I would recommend you spend more time learning about your device and BB's in general as well as reading as much as physically possible about not only upgrade/downgrade procedures but troubleshooting in case you mess up. You should really not attempt to mess with OS's until you are very comfortable with the entire process and have a good understanding of how BBs work
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 01-21-10 at 08:48 PM.
    01-21-10 08:39 PM
    Hi,

Let me say this to you ok... If you are connectiong your Tour via USB cable to your DM and it does not "LOOK" for an auto update or if it does and does not find naything than you have the lastest update. If you are on Verizon as you said the latest official OS is 4.7.61 and all others you are reading about like 5.0 are official from other carriers or leaks.
    I would leave well enough alone with what you have and focus on learning you device forsit and how to do things with it. You will have plenty of time later and everytime you connect your BB to your DM it looks for a new OS from your carrier and if there is one, then that is the time to do it and it will be so somple you wont believe it.

Hope this helps and you follow the advice.
    01-21-10 08:41 PM
    Great piece of advice Jag. I second that. Just be happy w/ your new Tour and soon enough Vzw will release their own OS 5, and will most likely be higher than the MTS .419 version. Then you'll have to update again. The more often you do it, the better the odds you will end up with a "paperweight" for a device. Just leave well enough alone for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 08:51 PM
    Great piece of advice Jag. I second that. Just be happy w/ your new Tour and soon enough Vzw will release their own OS 5, and will most likely be higher than the MTS .419 version. Then you'll have to update again. The more often you do it, the better the odds you will end up with a "paperweight" for a device. Just leave well enough alone for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    As much as I agree that OP needs to do far more reading and research before dabbling in tinkering with his device, this makes no sense. If you know what you are doing and doing it right you will have no problems. The more you do it, the more familiar it becomes and you get more comfortable with loading OS's or downgrading, or loading Hybrids, or whatever it may be. I have never bricked any of my devices even when I first started messing around with OS's because I had read and researched enough to know how to do it right.
    01-21-10 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD