You insurance doesn't cover breakage, what a rip off, I was just saying to say it lost because it would be embarrasing to carry your berry to the cell store in pieces. And my car insurance does cover neglect, natural disasters, and everything else I could think of making sure was covered when I got full coverage! First vehicle in a long time I had that was worth having full coverage on, believe it or not they will not allow you to get full coverage on extremely altered vehicles!
    But I thought phone insurance covers everything the warranty doesn't, that what they told me when I got it anyway. I really didn't want it but the guy said "what if you have an issue that warranty won't cover, that's were insurance takes effect"
    Now that you said this I think I will drop that 6 bucks a month cause damage and breakage is all that is left for warranty not to cover!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    To clarify...each carriers coverage might be slightly different. On AT&T:
    Wireless Phone Insurance protects your wireless phone against loss, theft, accidental physical or liquid damage, and mechanical and/or electrical failure after the manufacturer's warranty period has expired.

This however exlcudes damage due to negligance such as opening the device and only covers the device AFTER the warranty period has expired.

That being said...telling any insurance company that something has happened when in fact it hasn't IS insurance fraud. If you opened the phone and broke it, you should tell you provider that is what you did and if they choose to cover it, great, odds are they won't.
    09-22-09 06:54 PM
    wellk I will check my carrier policy. I know the manager of a store in a town about an hour out, I call her and if I need to make a claim I just go to her, she let it slip by I am sure, she knows me and that I take everything apart if it messes up!

09-22-09 11:50 PM
    I love the OP's sarcasm and internal rage...I love it.

I actually had never heard of any tip outside of the rice thing, so this was actually a good read for me. Thanks for the thread, OP!
    09-22-09 11:53 PM
    I agree. This thread should replace the foolish post in the Faqs section. That advice could further damage a device in a heartbeat.
    The first part of the post was correct, and based on what worked. And as I said I was no Brainiac.

Other than that. Thanks. The reason for why I posted was because their was no help what so ever, except hoping someone will tell you what to do within 5-10 minutes, which by that time the phone has probably rebooted >.<
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 09-23-09 at 11:14 AM.
    09-23-09 11:12 AM
    Thanks for the info hopefully helps out some people

09-23-09 11:44 AM
    My Storm went to the bottom of the pool, pulled the battery out right away,
    pulledthe sd card and let dry several hours, tomake a long story short the phone did come back on and worked very well =-like new but the battery draind prety quick and once it completely draind and the phone cut off it would not charge. I tried several charging metheds (wall, usb and car).
    Nothing not even a red led the phone is totlely dead. Do you think its the charging port our is the battery gone. Do you know if you get a red led while on charger with bat. out?
    Last edited by nightshift65; 09-23-09 at 08:45 PM.
    09-23-09 07:20 PM
    Last week my wife's new Digital camera fell in a puddle of nasty water. We need to take pics so i tried drying it and starting it up right after it got wet, it did start up but after 2-3 pics it shut down and wouldn't turn back on. Long story short, we left it on the kitchen counter for the night and it started working perfectly the next day.
    09-23-09 07:48 PM
    question for the OP...do you find it's better to swish the phone around in alcohol on each side or fully submerge in the alcohol? my phone took a very brief drop in the toilet today and i want to do everything i can to salvage it correctly....
    09-23-09 08:11 PM
    My Storm wet to the bottom of the pool, pulled the battery out right away,
    pulledthe sd card and let dry several hours, tomake a long story short the phone did come back on and worked very well =-like new but the battery draind prety quick and once it completely draind and the phone cut off it would not charge. I tried several charging metheds (wall, usb and car).
    Nothing not even a red led the phone is totlely dead. Do you think its the charging port our is the battery gone. Do you know if you get a red led while on charger with bat. out?
    Your problem is you turned your phone back on while it was still wet. It takes several DAYS for the device to dry out even with a decicant agent and putting the battery back in while it's still wet allows for short circuits.
    09-23-09 08:20 PM
    question for the OP...do you find it's better to swish the phone around in alcohol on each side or fully submerge in the alcohol? my phone took a very brief drop in the toilet today and i want to do everything i can to salvage it correctly....
    Not the OP, but I would submerge it then swish it like he says. I would also do some disassmebly myself and make sure there is nothing under the keys and in crevises. Keep in mind this will void your warranty.
    09-23-09 08:24 PM
    Good advice and it almost makes me wanna get my phone wet just to try it so I can believe you 100% but then again I cant live without my blackberry. good to know for the future though
    09-23-09 08:32 PM
    For those of you gullible enough to try this, I suggest using a phone that you never want to work again. Feel free to go to the drug store and buy 100% rubbing alcohol then dunk your phone into it (lol) then follow the directions, then waste some additional time letting it dry. It is never going to work. If you doubt what I say, go dunk your phone into the alcohol now and report back.

The only way your phone has any way of working is to take it apart. Some parts are NOT made to be dunked in alcohol as suggested on page 1 of this thread. But if you think you are correct in assuming I am wrong, feel free to dunk you phone, let it dry for a week, plug it in and see that it isn't going to work.

If you still think the alcohol dunk is the best way to go, I have some swamp land in florida I am selling cheap.
    09-23-09 09:14 PM
    I've been trying to tell ppl the alcohol trick-- I've known ppl to do this and it works.

09-23-09 09:22 PM
    For those of you gullible enough to try this, I suggest using a phone that you never want to work again. Feel free to go to the drug store and buy 100% rubbing alcohol then dunk your phone into it (lol) then follow the directions, then waste some additional time letting it dry. It is never going to work. If you doubt what I say, go dunk your phone into the alcohol now and report back.

The only way your phone has any way of working is to take it apart. Some parts are NOT made to be dunked in alcohol as suggested on page 1 of this thread. But if you think you are correct in assuming I am wrong, feel free to dunk you phone, let it dry for a week, plug it in and see that it isn't going to work.

If you still think the alcohol dunk is the best way to go, I have some swamp land in florida I am selling cheap.
    Well, good sir, you will be glad to know that there are several people on this forum who work in the electronics industry and they have made these same suggestions. I myself used to clean my radio control receivers in a bath of alcohol after races to get the mud out and they still work great to this day after 10 years of monthly baths. But if it's a cell phone you want to see, I will work on that this weekend because I am that confident that this works.

By the way...Why on earth would I want to by swampland?
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-23-09 at 09:27 PM.
    09-23-09 09:25 PM

I have a few old BB's at my work and i never thought to try the methods on it. The only problem is that different types of BB's may let in more water, you would have to try it with different type of liquids, and then if it does work, it could be luck or it works on one and not the other.

To many variables. But you could at least figure out what not to do.
    09-23-09 09:30 PM
    I have a few old BB's at my work and i never thought to try the methods on it. The only problem is that different types of BB's may let in more water, you would have to try it with different type of liquids, and then if it does work, it could be luck or it works on one and not the other.

To many variables. But you could at least figure out what not to do.
    Actually the only liquid in question is alcohol. He is trying to say that dunking a device in a bowl of alcohol using these instructions would render the device inoperative, which is totally obsurd considering without a source of power there is nothing to cause a short. So if you wanna take one of them Blackberrys and give it a dunk make sure you video it, since you know he'll want proof.
    09-23-09 09:38 PM
    Actually the only liquid in question is alcohol. He is trying to say that dunking a device in a bowl of alcohol using these instructions would render the device inoperative, which is totally obsurd considering without a source of power there is nothing to cause a short. So if you wanna take one of them Blackberrys and give it a dunk make sure you video it, since you know he'll want proof.

Just list what needs to be done, what kind of alcohol, length of time in alcohol, fully submerged, let it sit or wave it around, etc....
    09-23-09 09:41 PM
    Just list what needs to be done, what kind of alcohol, length of time in alcohol, fully submerged, let it sit or wave it around, etc....
    Steps 4 and 5 are the steps in question. At least by the uninformed. If you follow them and after sufficient drying time you phone fires up we can put tmp's mind at ease if not his attitude..lol. Just make sure to use common sense like removing any powersource and what not.
    09-23-09 09:56 PM
    You are missing the point. It isn't the electricity that ruins the phone, it is the fact that certain parts should not be dunked in alcohol. And if you are so certain it won't hurt the phone, why not take your 8310 and dunk it in alcohol, follow all the directions and see if your phone ever works. Just a tip, I hope you have insurance or are up for a renewal discount for a new phone, lol

The offer still stands for a deal on the swamp land in florida.

09-23-09 09:57 PM
    You are missing the point. It isn't the electricity that ruins the phone, it is the fact that certain parts should not be dunked in alcohol. And if you are so certain it won't hurt the phone, why not take your

Do i hear a Challenge?
    09-23-09 09:58 PM
    You are missing the point. It isn't the electricity that ruins the phone, it is the fact that certain parts should not be dunked in alcohol. And if you are so certain it won't hurt the phone, why not take your 8310 and dunk it in alcohol, follow all the directions and see if your phone ever works. Just a tip, I hope you have insurance or are up for a renewal discount for a new phone, lol

The offer still stands for a deal on the swamp land in florida.
    You seem to be missing the point. I'M NOT A MORON. While I am confident that I could survive a 20 mph crash into a brick wall, I am not about to try it on purpose because there is ALWAYS the possibilty of an unknown factor. Not to mention I don't wish to be without my phone for several days. Your statement says that a cell phone can not survive this and I disagree. And have seen posting of it being done in THIS VERY THREAD.

And on second thought..if it's cheap enough I might just take you up on that offer seeing as how Disneyland sits on what was one of the largest areas of swampland, so....you got that deed ready?
    09-23-09 10:13 PM
    Stick with the silica gels you find at the gun store. The silica gels at the craft store are crystals and are way to small for use near your device. It would be worse than rice when it comes to infiltration into the device. Also, Wal Mart has stopped using desiccant packets in their products because of "slip and fall" lawsuits and are using chips that are attached to the inside of the shoe boxes. There is a wholesaler who sells these packets but MidWay USA still has the best price and selection for my money.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-27-09 at 10:31 PM.
    09-26-09 07:51 PM
    Stick with the silica gels you find at the gun store. The silica gels at the craft store are crystals and are way to small for use near your device. It would be worse than rice when it comes to infiltration into the device. Also, Wal Mart has stopped using desiccant packets in their products because of "slip and fall" lawsuits and are using chips that are attached to the inside of the shoe boxes. There is a wholesaler who sells these packets but MidWay USA still has the best price and selection for my money.
    I've actually had good luck with craft store silica products. Placing the phone in a sock helps a great deal. The trouble with most people is they can't order from midway in a pinch(who plans ahead!) and i did a swing through 2 gun shops and a sporting goods store last weekend and only one had silica packets, but at insane pricing.

If you are really worried, you can put the silica in panty hose. The stuff i bought from the craft store was granular though. I don't condone burrying the phone in the powder anyways, just on top of or next to in a air tight(vacuum containers used with foodsavers work AWESOME) container.
    09-30-09 08:22 AM
    Okay, so here's my problem:

My phone (8900) fell in the toilet.

Right in there it went in for about 2 second before i picked it right back out and attempting to take the battery out.

Inbetween me cursing and flipping out it was abit hard to take the battery out and after a few shakes i got it out with my nail.

I put it out let it dry and everything and waited to see.

I waited about 4 hours before I panic and my dad puts the battery back in.

everything is fine it worked and i've tried the keys and all.

so i turn it off and decide to let it dry some more.

it doesn't turn on anymore.

what now?
    09-30-09 09:25 AM
    start at the beginning and try it all. What can you lose? You already have a dead phone. Shouldn't have put the battery in it, though.

Whatever you do, take the damn battery off. Powering down a blackberry doesn't even actually turn it off.
    09-30-09 09:38 AM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD