Well, I've been around the forums a bit, even did a--well vague--search for this kind of help, and didn't really find a specific thread, just a collection of posts.

Essentially this is a HOW TO for WET BlackBerrys, and a few misc "Dead Ends" for certain things. Anyone with recommendations or steps that are solid or feel solid, I will be glad to add them. I'd be more than happy.

Now I'm no brainiac when it comes with dealing with water damage to electronics, but I've seen my share, mainly with computers. But heres the basics, that have always been standard:

You've dropped your BlackBerry into water

1. Remove the Battery Immediately! Don't put it back in!

You should always remove the Battery as quickly as you can to diminish chances of a short circuit happening.

2. Let dry for roughly 3 days. Their are ideas to drop the phone in rice for a few days too, which works. Putting it in a container with Silica Gel will help speed up the process and improve de-moisturization*.

3. After three or Four days, of total drying, you may finally reinsert the Battery.

The Following here is a what to do when you drop your BlackBerry into a liquid that will dry sticky.

You've dropped your BlackBerry into a bowl of Strawberry Hawaiian Punch

1. Remove the battery immediately! Don't put it back in!

From there you have two options. You can follow along with the "cleaner" option, or follow 2A and take the hard way.

2. Dunk it into Pure Alcohol 100 Proof, Isopropyl Alcohol, or Distilled Water to clean out the BlackBerry.

3. After you did #2, let it dry, and reinsert the Battery.

2a. Wait for it to dry. (This step will require you to void your warranty)

3a. Once you've let your phone dry... you will have to take apart your phone, and clean it up.
    Using RadioShacks Precision Electronics Cleaner will help greatly, it comes with a brush on the tip, that will help getting into the crevices. If you want, you can also use rubbing alcohol, isopropyl. If you really can't get it, aim for straight alcohol, that's 100 proof if you have to, or higher.

4a. You're done. Once you've finished and let it dry (24 hours) and you may finally reinsert the Battery.

Now... After all this. Heres what might not work properly--something I didn't well nail down on.
    Your Speaker, and Your Mic, and maybe the screen--depending on the device--may have issues at the time you ressurect the device or later on down the line. And problems can always pop up even later down the line. Not every device acts the same when it goes to water, and from what I've read, not every device seems to be a exact replica of each other >.> So always. ALWAYS, try your best not to drop into liquid.

I have seen the video of someone dropping their BlackBerry Curve 8300 into water and it worked fine even when in the water. I do not know if that's the same for ALL devices...... Though I will be happy to sacrafice a BB in the name of SCIENCE!

Kudos to Barbwyr for the Silica Gel option!
    Last edited by JohnMidnight; 09-23-09 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Correcting a few things :)
    09-13-09 05:19 PM
    Looks good to me!
    09-13-09 07:42 PM
    Also remember that even plain tap water contains minerals that once dry can leave a residue that may conduct current across the circuits so the alcohol dunk is not a bad idea. Also, instead of rice, I suggest desiccant absorbant (silica gel). They sell them at most gun dealers as well as online at Midway USA at a decent price. It is not only highly absorbant, in some applications it is reuseable. A small bag of it placed in a sealed container will give the desired results without the mess of rice dust in your phone.

MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

When I worked retail I use to collect them instead of throwing them away from the shoe boxes left on the shelves and I would toss them in my gun safe. I'm betting you could collect a few from shoe boxes and hand bags in the local WalMart to do the trick, but of course you would want to tell the manager what you are doing to avoid any misunderstandings.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-13-09 at 08:17 PM.
    09-13-09 08:11 PM
    Okay, added some corrections, fixed the removal of water idea--knew it was bad, but didn't finish up on the clean up--added your recommendation barbwyr and credited you. You are the proper person to credit, right? I mean, I swear, that post is a copy a paste LOL!
    09-13-09 08:33 PM
    Come on folks!! Has anyone dunked their phone in 100% alcohol? If you have then you would know for certain that your phone won't ever work again. If you doubt what I am saying, give it a try.
    09-13-09 08:42 PM
    Acceptable guide.

Care should be used with REAL 90% or better alcohol, as it ignites easily, the fumes can be an issue, and it may degrade certain plastics.
    09-13-09 08:53 PM
    I was told by one who has been there and knows. He says to cover your phone in reguler white rice
    09-13-09 09:18 PM
    I'm evaluating this thread and will probably move it to the How To & FAQ sub forum, once it's refined a little more. Great job so far!
    09-13-09 09:49 PM
    Great post man. I'm sure this is going to help a lot of people.
    09-13-09 09:58 PM
    Okay, added some corrections, fixed the removal of water idea--knew it was bad, but didn't finish up on the clean up--added your recommendation barbwyr and credited you. You are the proper person to credit, right? I mean, I swear, that post is a copy a paste LOL!
    Actually I have posted this in a few threads about water damage the past few days, that's probably why you are seeing it, however the alcohol bath is taken from Radius (I believe) but the desiccant is mine.

As for ruining your phone with alcohol...not likely. If the water doesn't kill it, the alcohol will help to remove the water and will dry much faster and more thoroughly than simply drying the water. It's not the liquids that damages an electronic device it's the electricity that the liquid conducts that kills them. You can take a brand new device without the battery, dunk it in distilled water and then let it dry completely and it will work just fine. The problem is people trying to get it working only minutes after it takes an unplanned bath.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-13-09 at 10:23 PM.
    09-13-09 10:02 PM
    Aye. Though the alcohol dunks I've gotten from dunking RAM into Alcohol . Anyway, I believe thats all the corrections I can work with, other than raising fonts, etc. I don't have any pics to add to it. Though if I can still edit it when it gets moved, I'll be able to add pictures of my own tests with how the steps work.

(Yes that means sacraficing a few phones, not necessarily BlackBerrys. I don't think I know of anyone in my area whos unhappy enough with their BB to give it to me for the sake of helping others LOL!)
    09-14-09 05:16 PM
    Ok I'm gonna move this to How To & FAQ section.
    09-14-09 11:19 PM
    This is really helpful! Haha really appreciate it (I'm sure my 8703e can brave anything but its gotta break sometime... right?)
    09-15-09 07:59 PM
    i dropped my blackberry bold on a glass of coke , i didnt open the battery i washed it in the toilet then i shaked it after that it works but now on speakphone no one can hear me properly....
    09-17-09 06:21 AM
    RICE.. all i need to say
    09-17-09 04:31 PM
    I dropped my first Storm in the river, unfortunately after letting it dry for a week, it seemed to fire up except the screen was gone.
    09-18-09 12:49 AM
    @Crozar.
    Thats sadly normal. Remember, our phones aren't ment to be dropped in water... on top of that... I don't know of many "waterproof" speakers and mics.
    09-18-09 11:32 PM
    What about running a medium warm hair dryer over the phone to speed up the process?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 11:57 PM
    What about running a medium warm hair dryer over the phone to speed up the process?

No, that forces water into smaller spaces, you want to pull the water out.
    09-19-09 12:16 AM
    Think about what you just typed. If you use HOT air to dry your phone you are saying it will push the water into smaller places. Doesn't that mean the air will also go into the smaller places and dry the phone?

I am totally amazed at how many myths there are to dry out a wet phone.

No, that forces water into smaller spaces, you want to pull the water out.
    09-19-09 08:20 AM
    Think about what you just typed. If you use HOT air to dry your phone you are saying it will push the water into smaller places. Doesn't that mean the air will also go into the smaller places and dry the phone?

I was not expecting that answer, I do not know what that means either I hope he comes back to explain.

09-19-09 08:43 AM
    soo,
    if i put my battery back in
    my blackberry is finished??
    09-19-09 03:29 PM
    electricity + conductive fluid in device = release of magic blue smoke that makes electronics work.
    09-19-09 03:41 PM
    electricity + conductive fluid in device = release of magic blue smoke that makes electronics work.
    tsss
    i dont mean that i kept it in
    i put it in for like a min after the battery has been out of the phone for some hours.
    09-19-09 03:52 PM

HOT air has nothing to do with it. It's the pressure of the air that CAN push water into spaces where it may affect other parts. You want to PULL water out of the phone not force it in further. I am not the first or only person to make this statement on this board. Additionally, the use of direct heat to dry your phone CAN cause damage to parts inside the phone.

So.... NO... DO NOT USE A HAIR DRYER ON YOUR PHONE!

Please avoid using a blow dryer as the heat will compound your problem more by introducing heat into the equation. Heat and water are both bad for electronics.
    Dry it by letting it sit. DO NOT USE A BLOW DRYER!
    The blowdryer just gonna kill ur phone, not a good idea.
    No blowdryer!
    Don't leave it in the sun and don't use a blow dryer. Have patience because if you rush it, you are going to end up having to purchase a new device.
    WHAT!!!! (Not a question... more like Yelling!!!)
    DO NOT USE A DRYER!!!!!!
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-19-09 at 04:23 PM.
    09-19-09 03:54 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD