Ok, well, thanks to blackberry Unite! i foresee a surge of IT Policy removals needed. The old way of the policy.bin is awesome, and works great, but i have figured out a new way, That 100% Completely removes the IT Policy!!!!

If you need help or support, you can post here or email me at cjcarbone @crackberry.com

Downloads required:

Desktop Manager v4.3 Available HERE

JL_Cmder, a batch file, compiled by d_fisher, from Blackberry Forums.com available HERE

And, the last, you have to find yourself. Please, don't pm or email or PIN or send smoke signals, lol.

The beta 4.5 OD for your Blackberry is VERY IMPORTANT to get, it's the only reason this works.

This has been tested with 4.5 on the 8310, by myself, and another member, who i hope posts up.

I got the idea, because the JL_Cmder command is for OS 4.3 devices, so i will say

Supported Devices: 8100, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8800, and if needed the 8700.
    *The 8110, 8120, 8130, and 8330 can just download the JL_Cmder file, and use the resettofactory option*

Instructions:

**EDIT*** DELETE ALL 5 SERVICE BOOKS RELATED TO UNITE! PRIOR TO BACKING UP THE DEVICE!!
    1. download and install the needed software, from the available links.
    make sure to DELETE the VENDOR.XML file

2. BACKUP your device, using Desktop Manager.

3. Connect your BB and upgrade the software to BETA 4.5, no need to
    backup, as we have a good one we just made, and it saves a bunch of
    time, any release version is ok, as we are going to remove it later. Approx.
    1hr

4. Open JL_Cmder, and use the RESETTOFACTORY option, #5. it will prompt
    to type blackberry, as it IS GOING TO WIPE the device. Then it will popup
    a RED screen, and prompt you to remove the battery!!( I removed the BB
    from the PC, and remove the battery, wait 1min or so and reinstall it.

5. Once the device boots up, go to options>security>general, and see if says
    **no services**. If so, thats good that means the IT Policy is
    COMPLETELY gone. Then go to firewall, and make sure
    there is no red lock, and you are able to toggle enabled/disabled.

6. using the add/remove programs, remove the 4.5 beta, as we don't want
    that, we want the OFFICIAL release. Plug your BB into your PC, open
    Desktop Manager and it will prompt you to load the 4.2 OS. Load it, Making
    SURE not to backup and restore, and then let it take it's course.

7.Once the BB initializes, you can then repeat the steps in step 5, and if all is
    good, then Restore from the file we made in step #2

A few hours, but NO IT POLICY!

No restrictions, no locked firewall, Nothing!!!

Trust me, i spent MANY hours last night, and this afternoon trying different ways to get this off my BB, and just wanted to share!

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT to be used on a company owned device. I posted this for those that downloaded Unite! and were NOT aware that it installed an IT policy, or for a user that purchased their Blackberry WITH the policy already on it.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Tampering with Company IT policies CAN result in TERMINATION!!!
    I am not responsible for the consequences of inappropriate use

(Although, if you do decide to tamper with your company BB, this will erase the Enterprise activation, and as soon as you perform the Enterprise Activation, the IT policy will be pushed back on to the device anyway, so don't even waste your time)
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 05-11-08 at 01:13 AM.
    05-10-08 01:30 AM
    Had I known how much trouble Unite was gonna be I nnever would have downloaded it. Pointless.
    05-10-08 01:34 AM
    I assume this process is for someone who bought a bb that had an IT policy left over from a previous user? If someone has an employer-provided BES account and uses this procedure to remove the IT policy, won't that either 1) break their connectivity inside the firewall or 2) be detected and remediated?

If so, you probably ought to include a warning of the consequences of inappropriate use.
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-10-08 at 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling error
    05-10-08 01:37 AM
    Yea, i spent at least 6 hours figuring this out, but it works perfect
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 05-10-08 at 01:52 AM.
    05-10-08 01:38 AM
    I assume this process is for someone who bought a bb that had an IT policy left over from a previous user? If someone has an employer-provided BES account and uses this procedure to remove the IT policy, won't that either 1) break their connectivity inside the firewall or 2) be detected and remediated?

If so, you probably ought to include a warning of the consequences of inappropriate use.
    Edited original post, Thanks!!!
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 05-10-08 at 01:44 AM.
    05-10-08 01:38 AM
    I spent hours struggling with this and it wasn't until I got these instructions that I was able to get my BB back to the way it was. These instructions were dead, solid, perfect.

No IT Policy, No Locked Firewall, and all of my apps and settings were restored. Yes I had to reregister one, and add my username and password to another, but that's to be expected.

Kudos CJ, your six hours saved me about 4.5.
    This really needs to be a sticky. I agree, there is soon going to be a need for it.
    05-10-08 01:43 AM
    What exactly does the lock on the firewall do? I still have it, but I rarely use the browser...I have googled around and can't find anything on it. Is it harmful or will it handicap the device? I don't want to do another wipe if I don't have to...and now that I got the IT thing off it I am happy to leave the lock if it's not something that will handicap the device alot.
    05-10-08 01:44 AM
    Well, the IT policy is not a completely blank policy.

When i had installed the blank policy, i was getting prompted for permission /ANYTIME a program tried to access data, HTTP, socket or anything..
    05-10-08 01:46 AM
    What exactly does the lock on the firewall do? I still have it, but I rarely use the browser...I have googled around and can't find anything on it. Is it harmful or will it handicap the device? I don't want to do another wipe if I don't have to...and now that I got the IT thing off it I am happy to leave the lock if it's not something that will handicap the device alot.
    Every time I opened WeatherEye, Google launcher, Wiki launcher, Viigo, etc...I had to keep answering the permission questions. Even If I select don't ask me again. Kind of a PITA.
    05-10-08 01:50 AM
    Hmmm..I just enable my data connection and went to a couple of sites, accessed Facebook and the browser and got no requests for permission, so I think I am good even with the red lock on the firewall. I won't bother with it then - but what an effin pain of a program!

I am sorry but if RIM is trying to impress people that IT policy and all the aggravation is not gonna do it. I spent hours trying to fix my Pearl because of it.
    05-10-08 01:51 AM
    I spent hours struggling with this and it wasn't until I got these instructions that I was able to get my BB back to the way it was. These instructions were dead, solid, perfect.

No IT Policy, No Locked Firewall, and all of my apps and settings were restored. Yes I had to reregister one, and add my username and password to another, but that's to be expected.

Kudos CJ, your six hours saved me about 4.5.
    This really needs to be a sticky. I agree, there is soon going to be a need for it.
    Thanks, glad I could help!!

I submitted it to a mod for the Help and How to, but it includes beta loading, si i just hope it gets there.
    05-10-08 01:53 AM
    Yeah I think a few of of us did. Thankfully it was cold, rainy and I have Fridays off.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 05-10-08 at 01:56 AM.
    05-10-08 01:54 AM
    Hmmm..I just enable my data connection and went to a couple of sites, accessed Facebook and the browser and got no requests for permission, so I think I am good even with the red lock on the firewall. I won't bother with it then - but what an effin pain of a program!

I am sorry but if RIM is trying to impress people that IT policy and all the aggravation is not gonna do it. I spent hours trying to fix my Pearl because of it.
    If you aren't bothered by the lock, and aren't getting permission requests, leave well enough alone.
    If i wasnt getting the requests, even though i selected DO NOT ASK AGAIN, i would have as well...
    05-10-08 01:55 AM
    The program is an excellent idea in concept and theory, but the execution left A LOT to be desired.
    05-10-08 02:01 AM
    The program is an excellent idea in concept and theory, but the execution left A LOT to be desired.
    You got that right! I was thinking it was a good way to keep me and my staff in sync, but the calendering function left a bit to be desired. I guess it's good I found it on a Thursday since we don't work on Friday's, otherwise I'd be doing this to FIVE BB's.

THERE WOULD NOT BE ENOUGH SCOTCH IN THE WORLD!!!
    05-10-08 02:10 AM

THERE WOULD NOT BE ENOUGH SCOTCH IN THE WORLD!!!

Could you write it off as a business expense?
    05-10-08 02:36 AM
    Very good job!! I'm very thankfully.

It simply works.
    05-10-08 05:21 AM
    There is a KNB article available which is based on the same feature: Wipe Reset to Factory Defaults

BlackBerry Search Results
    05-10-08 06:54 AM
    Yes, but on 4.2.2 devices, that feature is only availavle to the IT Admin, and has to be done from the BES. This is for NON-BES users, and ebay purchased phones!

Oh, and WOO-HOO, my FIRST sticky!!!
    05-10-08 11:28 AM
    I have a new curve that I bought from Tmob, however, I do get the IT policy a bit for most of the apps I have (or permission to execute):

MyAlarm
    JiveT
    MobiPocket reader
    GMaps

Does that mean I have some sort of IT installed on my device? It should be fresh from the manufacturer, or is this normal for all BB's when the firewall is enabled? Thanks.
    05-10-08 01:38 PM
    If the firewall is enabled, it will prompt you for permission.

The problem thisw fixes is that, when installing the blank IT policy, locks the Firewall to enabled, and the user can't chane it to disabled

If you have a red lock next to your firewall setting, then you have an IT policy

Also, you can go into Options>security options> general and if it says: **no services** at the bottom, that also means you have NO IT policy.
    05-10-08 02:22 PM
    I am trying to register bb unite, and it keeps giving me an error saying unknown server. My bb has 4.5 and no it policy. Do I have to go back to 4.2.2 to get bb unite to work? Also I an an AT&T customer if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by fantom1023; 05-10-08 at 03:26 PM.
    05-10-08 03:06 PM
    I am trying to register bb unite, and it keeps giving me an error saying unknown server. My bb has 4.5 and no it policy. Do I have to go back to 4.2.2 to get bb unite to work? Also I an an AT&T customer if that makes a difference.
    Not sure, but
    Theres other threads more suited to questions installing Unite! software.
    HERE
    HERE
    HERE
    HERE
    HERE

This is for people wishing to remove the policies and phone restrictions installed by Unite!
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 05-10-08 at 03:39 PM.
    05-10-08 03:35 PM
    Not sure, but
    Theres other threads more suited to questions installing Unite! software.
    HERE
    HERE
    HERE
    HERE
    HERE

This is for people wishing to remove the policies and phone restrictions installed by Unite!
    Thanks for all the info. You have shed a lot of light on the subject, and I don't believe that I am ready for all that is Unite!! Thanks again.
    05-10-08 09:15 PM
    Yea, i spent at least 6 hours figuring this out, but it works perfect
    This info has been in the Remove IT Policy thread on BBF for quite some time. It's even in the first post of my Remove IT Policy thread as it applies to all devices with OS 4.3 and higher. The 8120, 8130, and 8330 all have OS 4.3 already so they don't require beta OS's to do this. dfisher of BBF found this in javaloader about 6 months ago but it's buried in that Remove IT policy thread.

That said, I need to clear something up. The old method of replacing an IT policy with the "blank IT Policy" in that thread doesn't actually lock the firewall. If you were to connect a new BB to the computer with that policy installed on, you might very well lock the firewall, though. However, the firewall is always already locked by the previous IT policy, and application permission settings from the BES that pushed the original policy. The blank IT Policy method only replaces the old policy with a new less restrictive policy and doesn't show the name of it in the Security Settings. It can't unlock the firewall nor can it change default application permission settings. Up until OS 4.3 and this latest version of javaloader, there was NO way to do anything with IT policy on a device other than this blank IT policy method.

But, as posted, if you have a device with OS 4.3 (or if you can get it for the device) then you can easily remove IT policy from these devices. It's a nice little Easter Egg from RIM.
    05-11-08 12:33 AM
229 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD