I'd like to write a game for BBOS but want to know the best program to use. I can use either Windows 7 64-bit or Debian Linux as my OS.

I don't mind if the program isn't specific to BB as long as it creates J2ME apps.
    Last edited by SAVVYSCLUTTER; 05-16-23 at 03:32 PM.
    03-05-23 10:46 AM
    I'd like to write a game for BBOS but want to know the best program to use. I can use either Windows 7 64-bit or Fedora Linux as my OS.

I don't mind if the program isn't specific to BB as long as it creates J2ME apps.
    You won't be able to install it on a BlackBerry phone, as you can no longer get signature keys.
    03-05-23 12:12 PM
    You won't be able to install it on a BlackBerry phone, as you can no longer get signature keys.
    I think these are only needed for some features like Internet access. I've installed unsigned apps before.
    03-05-23 12:50 PM
    I think these are only needed for some features like Internet access. I've installed unsigned apps before.
    My guess is whatever you made Apps with all those years ago... would be what's best to make them with today.

BBOS was very finicky about how it worked with java apps, it's why most developers I knew... used BlackBerry own tools. But it's nothing like today's tools where you can build some games in a few hours using prebuilt engines and graphics.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 03-07-23 at 07:23 AM.
    03-06-23 03:50 PM
    Lots of BB SDK tools can be found at the links below. But as conite pointed out, you will not be able to install an app on the device unless you have a valid signing key. You will only be able to run it on a simulator.

In case you still want to try I have recently been playing around with several versions of JDE (from 4.0.0 to 7.1.0) and BB simulators on a PC with Windows XP and Windows 7 32-bit and Java SE JDK 6 Update 45 (file jdk-6u45-windows-i586.exe). All BB tools are 32-bit so x86 Java is required even on x64 system. Java jdk-7u80-windows-i586.exe had some problems with earlier versions of JDE but was ok with 4.1.0+. You need to manually configure two system environment variables (JAVA_HOME and PATH) to point to Java JDK's installation directory.

https://archive.org/details/java-for-blackberryos

https://archive.org/download/java-fo...ckBerry%20JDE/

https://archive.org/download/blackbe...20-%20Windows/
    SAVVYSCLUTTER likes this.
    03-11-23 10:48 AM
    Are you sure I can't install apps with no signing key? I've downloaded unsigned apps from phoneky.com.
    03-11-23 01:18 PM
    Are you sure I can't install apps with no signing key? I've downloaded unsigned apps from phoneky.com.
    Yes.
    03-11-23 01:58 PM
    @conite, if I write a generic J2ME app rather than a specific BB app, can I install it unsigned? If not, why does Phoneky work?
    03-11-23 03:06 PM
    @conite, if I write a generic J2ME app rather than a specific BB app, can I install it unsigned? If not, why does Phoneky work?
    I'm a bit rusty when it comes to development on BBOS. But as far as I remember, you couldn't install an unsigned app - that was part of the security of the device.
    03-11-23 03:56 PM
    Could someone else's existing keys be used to sign a developed app?

Edit: In looking back through a couple of old pieces of information, apparently a couple of csj files from RIM that each developer would get were used with a "BlackBerry BarSigner Tool" to register with a Signing Authority (via the development tool of choice?). Was that back then a RIM Signing Authority (which probably no longer exists) or a separate external Signing Authority? Would just the csj files be needed nowadays or would a developer need to have already earlier completed registration with a RIM signing authority (with those csj files) before BlackBerry shutdown?
    Last edited by spARTacus; 03-11-23 at 05:44 PM.
    03-11-23 05:15 PM
    @spARTacus, .bar is for BB10, not BBOS. Are you thinking of BB10 for the signing requirement?
    03-12-23 01:32 AM
    Sorry, what I had dug into was for Playbook OS and BB10.
    03-12-23 03:35 AM
    Could someone else's existing keys be used to sign a developed app?

Edit: In looking back through a couple of old pieces of information, apparently a couple of csj files from RIM that each developer would get were used with a "BlackBerry BarSigner Tool" to register with a Signing Authority (via the development tool of choice?). Was that back then a RIM Signing Authority (which probably no longer exists) or a separate external Signing Authority? Would just the csj files be needed nowadays or would a developer need to have already earlier completed registration with a RIM signing authority (with those csj files) before BlackBerry shutdown?
    No. Keys expire.
    03-12-23 04:48 PM
    I installed BB Eclipse Plug-in in Wine on Linux. I have no experience with Java but want to learn by writing a 'hello world' app for my 9320 (the signing requirement seems to only apply to BB10). Pasting this code into a new class showed errors including 'The import javax.microedition cannot be resolved'. What did I do wrong?
    04-15-23 10:35 AM
    Try to install BB JDE 7.1.0 and look at code samples. You will find all JDE versions (4.0.0 to 7.1.0) in 2.6 GB "Windows Executable" zip archive with 15 files at archive.org link provided in your post above.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3452/lYrVnJ.png

You might be able to find some info about the signing keys here:

https://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-17-23 10:09 AM
    What ever happened to Applets, basically taking things like java code and packaging also for use via browser/sites. On the Playbook, there was a crude ability to browse to an "indexOf" view of the system, and even some Playbook apps that would essentially run a limited web server (from the Playbook). Could any of concepts like those be used to deliver some limited basic "functionality" via browser?
    04-20-23 06:28 PM
    What ever happened to Applets, basically taking things like java code and packaging also for use via browser/sites. On the Playbook, there was a crude ability to browse to an "indexOf" view of the system, and even some Playbook apps that would essentially run a limited web server (from the Playbook). Could any of concepts like those be used to deliver some limited basic "functionality" via browser?
    As we've been saying for almost a decade, they died because 2 well-crafted apps can hit 99.99% of the entire market.
    04-20-23 06:41 PM
    ...I have no experience with Java...What did I do wrong?
    Can we assume you have experience with other languages and development, development environments, etc.?
    04-20-23 07:05 PM
    As we've been saying for almost a decade, they died because 2 well-crafted apps can hit 99.99% of the entire market.
    I don't think I understand your answer in relation to the question. Are you saying that a well crafted app for Android and another well crafted app for iOS means that 99 percent of the phone market is covered and therefore all other possibile methods of delivering computing functions have died off?
    04-20-23 07:10 PM
    I don't think I understand your answer in relation to the question. Are you saying that a well crafted app for Android and another well crafted app for iOS means that 99 percent of the phone market is covered and therefore all other possibile methods of delivering computing functions have died off?
    Correct. Webapps seemed like a good idea when we had a myriad of platforms circa 2006-2012, but held little value after that.

There is no debate that a platform-specific app can provide a far richer and more integrated experience than a browser app.
    04-20-23 07:13 PM
    Correct. Webapps seemed like a good idea when we had a myriad of platforms circa 2006-2012, but held little value after that.

There is no debate that a platform-specific app can provide a far richer and more integrated experience than a browser app.
    Ok, sure. However, the OP I assume doesn't care about the market/value, but still has a need or a desire to develop something for BBOS. Does he have an option via WebApps, Applets, or something like that via Browser?
    04-20-23 07:17 PM
    Ok, sure. However, the OP I assume doesn't care about the market/value, but still has a need or a desire to develop something for BBOS. Does he have an option via WebApps, Applets, or something like that via Browser?
    You asked "whatever happened to applets". I answered.
    04-20-23 07:18 PM
    You asked "whatever happened to applets". I answered.
    What about my question at the end of my post, not the one at the start?
    04-20-23 07:21 PM
    What about my question at the end of my post, not the one at the start?
    The BlackBerry Web Development platform from 2010 allowed developers to make small standalone Web apps.

But I have no idea what the state of that is now.
    04-20-23 07:30 PM
    The BlackBerry Web Development platform from 2010 allowed developers to make small standalone Web apps.

But I have no idea what the state of that is now.
    Would specifically the "BlackBerry Web Development Platform" be needed, as opposed to just other possibile old "web development platforms" that someone could still find a copy of somewhere and then load onto a PC? What about the BBOS browser. Would its ancient existence/capabilities (wasn't it heavily java/flash friendly) mean a certain Applets/WebApps approach would be more ideal than others?
    04-20-23 07:36 PM
40 12