hi all;
    i have a problem with my phone and my wifi
    i tried to open bbm via wifi but i can't and the facebook too and msn though my laptop is going well with the wifi ..
    though all of this i can open the youtube and the browser !!!!
    i really confused !!!!
    can any one help me plzzzzzzz...
    01-26-12 10:31 AM
    You need a data plan to use most of the built-in applications including BBM, MSN, Facebook, Twitter, and Email. The web browser, YouTube and a great many 3rd party apps will work over Wi-Fi alone.

http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...use-wifi-29376
    01-26-12 11:29 AM
    thanks for replying first;
    some of my friends told me that he use bbm via wifi without data plan ?
    and how u can explain to me though i don't have data plan i open the browser and youtube via wifi
    and thanks
    01-26-12 11:49 AM
    thanks for replying first;
    some of my friends told me that he use bbm via wifi without data plan ?
    and how u can explain to me though i don't have data plan i open the browser and youtube via wifi
    and thanks
    Your friends lied to you.

You cannot use BBM via WiFi without a BlackBerry Internet Service data plan through your provider. This is the only way that services that use the BlackBerry server for data transfer can be enabled. So, that's why BBM, Facebook, Twitter, and e-mail are not going to work while you are on WiFi.

The reason you can use the Browser and YouTube (which uses the browser anyways) is because after BB6 was launched, the browser was able to switch between using BIS for data transfer, and using WiFi directly.
    01-26-12 01:05 PM
    whats the data plan?
    07-11-12 05:15 AM
    whats the data plan?
    It is a service that you obtain from your cell phone service provider (typically at an additional cost above your voice plan). The BlackBerry Data Plan allows you to access BlackBerry Data features as noted above.
    07-11-12 05:50 AM
    I don't have an active data plan . Running on my home wifi, my whatsapp , twitter and Facebook apps are all working. Haven't gotten the bbm to work though.
    08-28-12 09:34 AM
    I don't have an active data plan . Running on my home wifi, my whatsapp , twitter and Facebook apps are all working. Haven't gotten the bbm to work though.
    Twitter, whatsapp & FB do not use RIM's servers.

Blackberry internet service (BIS) is their data plan. BBM / Email use RIM's servers for this hence why it costs.

You should also get X amount of Mb's per month for internet etc.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 08-28-12 at 12:08 PM.
    08-28-12 12:05 PM
    Heloo everybody,

now i have the data plan in the country im living in , and i tried to use it on wifi and it worked , and ill be traveling to canada soon this week, and ill stay there for 5 days so i wont be able to get a sim there, will i still be able to use BBM on wifi if i have the same plan im using in my country now?? or i have to get an international data ??
    11-23-12 08:17 AM
    i have my BB9320 and used to have a monthly unlimited data plan. After couple of days i bought a pocket wifi. i tried to turned off my data service and tried to connect with the wifi and my emails, bbm and im's seemed to be working fine. after realizxing such, i quit subscribing to the data plan as i can bring my pocket wifi anywhere to give signal to my BB. But after the data had been cut off, i cant access the IM's BBM and even Email which i was able to do before even DATA SERVICES were turned off. My understanding is that i can use BBm and emails even im on my wifi connection only coz i was able to do so. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME. its on OS7

Many thanks!
    04-09-13 01:26 PM
    You need an ACTIVE BlackBerry Data Plan to use BlackBerry Data Features such as BBM, IM and email.
    04-09-13 04:52 PM
    05-19-13 10:33 AM
    how do you set up the data plan
    06-03-13 04:57 PM
    how do you set up the data plan
    Just call your cellular service provider and ask them to add the BlackBerry service to your current plan.
    06-03-13 05:57 PM
    hi all;
    i have a problem with my phone and my wifi
    i tried to open bbm via wifi but i can't and the facebook too and msn though my laptop is going well with the wifi ..
    though all of this i can open the youtube and the browser !!!!
    i really confused !!!!
    can any one help me plzzzzzzz...
    09-16-13 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD