I have AT&T with unlimited global data. I installed 7.1 last night and used hotspot without problems.. I tried using it this morning and I get the following message:

"Activation Required.. To use this feature, contact your wireless service provider and subscribe to a Mobile Hotspot data plan."

Anyone else having this issue with AT&T ?
    12-22-11 09:23 AM
    oh no i just got the message just now ... i want my hotspot bad. i might just pay unless theres a fix. please let there be a fix for this.
    12-22-11 12:38 PM
    Same here, just tried it and got the message. Whats up with that?
    12-22-11 01:04 PM
    i just upgraded to hotspot plan but its still not working .....any help.....i can connect to the hot spot but my playbook will not go to any pages ... did multiple restarts .....help
    12-22-11 01:30 PM
    i just got that message/error too...merry christmas from at&t!!!
    12-22-11 04:52 PM
    I got the same message and I actually have a blackberry tethering plan. WTH. I hope AT&T is not trying to charge more for this.
    12-22-11 06:19 PM
    I did not have a teathering plan but upgraded last week just because of killed 2 Gigs quick. This morning i went to turn on my hotspot and got the temp network error. I called att they said it should work but because its not a stock build they can only do so much. we did a bunch of diag to no avail. I wiped it then downgraded to the orig build then reinstalled 7.1 and still nothing. Help. Did RIM do this???
    12-22-11 06:56 PM
    Seems like it is affecting people on different carriers so I don't think this was a carrier specific change. My guess is since it is still relatively new, RIM is setting it to work with Service Books and will pass those to the carriers.

Will give AT&T the benefit of the doubt for now.
    Last edited by hodula1; 12-22-11 at 07:39 PM.
    12-22-11 07:30 PM
    yeah i am not mad at AT&T they really tried to get it to work
    12-22-11 07:37 PM
    so why would we need "activation" on an unlimited data plan? anyone know?
    12-22-11 08:43 PM
    so why would we need "activation" on an unlimited data plan? anyone know?
    You would need "Hotspot Activation" not data plan activation
    12-22-11 08:57 PM
    You would need "Hotspot Activation" not data plan activation
    Oh, I see. I'm sure that's an extra charge. Thanks for the education.
    12-22-11 10:24 PM
    Mobile hotspot on AT&T requires the DataPro 4GB data plan.
    Last edited by wazdat; 12-28-11 at 03:44 PM.
    12-28-11 03:37 PM
    Mobile hotspot on AT&T requires the DataPro 4GB data plan.
    I just confirmed this. You do need a DataPro 2GB or 4GB plan. I changed my plan to the 4GB plan and it worked. Changed it back to the 5GB (with tethering) and it stopped working. This is a load of crap from AT&T and yet another way to try to force people to a lower data plan to use a feature.

I doubt I will ever go over, but it is nice to have the cushion.
    12-28-11 05:55 PM
    sucks! same here lost the hot spot ability which works a few days ago. i am on 2 gb plan, shouldn't have to waste an extra $20! bastards!
    12-29-11 02:39 AM
    anyone with a Rogers or other unlocked 9900 on ATT also having this issue, I wonder if it is like with NFC...
    12-29-11 02:56 AM
    I just confirmed this. You do need a DataPro 2GB or 4GB plan. I changed my plan to the 4GB plan and it worked. Changed it back to the 5GB (with tethering) and it stopped working. This is a load of crap from AT&T and yet another way to try to force people to a lower data plan to use a feature.

I doubt I will ever go over, but it is nice to have the cushion.

I already have the data pro 2GB plan, and I still get the activation is needed message

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-29-11 04:24 AM
    I already have the data pro 2GB plan, and I still get the activation is needed message

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Interesting. Well, I know for sure the 4GB plan works and Mecca had confirmed the 2GB plan worked for him.

I would try calling AT&T if I were you.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    12-29-11 11:24 AM
    This makes no sense...if you have a Blackberry...and you need the Enterprise plan...(which - in my case - includes tethering)....the hotspot won't work? If I look at my account in ATT Premier, there are 3 options (BB Enterprise, Enterprise w/ tethering, and Enterprise Int'l.) There are no datapro options.

WTF?
    12-30-11 01:17 PM
    This makes no sense...if you have a Blackberry...and you need the Enterprise plan...(which - in my case - includes tethering)....the hotspot won't work? If I look at my account in ATT Premier, there are 3 options (BB Enterprise, Enterprise w/ tethering, and Enterprise Int'l.) There are no datapro options.

WTF?
    I'm guessing your phone is a corporate liable account? If that is the case, it just means your company doesn't have those plans in their profile and you will have to call your company's rep to get it added on.
    12-30-11 02:35 PM
    I'm guessing your phone is a corporate liable account? If that is the case, it just means your company doesn't have those plans in their profile and you will have to call your company's rep to get it added on.
    This is correct. Over at my place we allow our users to manage their own accounts but we only allow them to see certain phones and plans and since this seems to be a newly created plan it looks like your company's rep will need to make this plan available.

I will confirm that switching from "Blackberry Enterprise 5GB w/ Tethering" to "DataPro Blackberry Enterprise 4GB w/ Tethering" does allow HotSpot to be enabled.
    01-07-12 12:26 PM
    Yep, I had to add the DataPro Enterprise 4GB with Tethering for 4G BlackBerry(R) but the non-data pro plan with tethering DIDN'T work
    05-29-12 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD