Hi everyone!
    Does anyone know if there's any way to get around the carrier activation for the mobile hotspot feature of blackberry os 7.1?
    I'm on Optus prepaid in Australia, which as far as I know is the only Australian network that offers a BIS prepaid service and also the only Australian prepaid service that blocks tethering. Annoying.
    I want to tether my ipad mini to my torch 9810. I've also got a bold 9700 I can use, if there's any hack-tastic way to do that, but I doubt it.
    This seems like the right place to ask, anyway. Hope this question's in the right place.
    09-04-13 09:33 AM
    Hi and welcome to CrackBerry!
    I have not used a 9810 but I don't believe there is any way to get around paying a carrier for a hotspot.
    Having said that, I could be wrong. Someone will come along and correct me Im sure.

Welcome to CB and enjoy your stay here!
    09-04-13 10:37 AM
    I hope so! Something I do like about android is the attention developers give it - I'm sure there'd be a way to do this on android, or even ios.
    Might just have to buy a q10 instead and use it on another network. A compromise I could live with.
    Still, I've read about os 7.1 versions that didn't need at+t Approval, so I thought it was worth asking
    09-04-13 12:13 PM
    Found a solution, posting in case it helps anyone else. I downloaded and installed os 7.1.0.378, and now I'm using hotspot without a hitch.
    I had problems getting my ipad mini to connect to it, until I changed the password type to WEP. Had no trouble at all connecting anything else to regardless of any settings. I had to enter APNs every time I opened the hotspot feature until I rebooted the phone, then it seemed to remember them.
    Hope this helps someone else out there!
    09-11-13 06:57 PM
    OS 7.1.0.267 works awesome for what you are trying to do! Battery life is also much better!
    10-17-13 04:04 PM