I hope I've picked the right forum to post this. I've searched but found nothing.

I'm on a pay-per-use data plan, and my BB uses data all the time, about 12-20k/hr in 2-4k chunks. Then it uses 40-60k every time I reboot, and sometimes another big chunk for no reason I can tell. I've deleted all the apps and reset the device, but my data usage hasn't changed. It can be close to 500k/day without intentionally using any data. All that should be using data is the push email, which is an account that doesn't receive any email.

The only apps I have now, after reset, are Mobile Data Alerter (to track data usage) and Opera Mini (because it should use less data than the BB browser). When I use Opera Mini, it tells me how many kb each page is. If I look at the data total in Opera Mini, it will say a little more than the sum of the pages, which is reasonable for overhead. But when I look at Mobile Data Alerter, it will say at least twice as much data was used. I can't imagine any reason why a 3k web page should require 29k of data transmitted.

Can anybody tell me what's normal base data use for a BB 8130 with OS 4.5? This is driving me crazy!
    10-20-11 08:57 PM
    How much are you getting charged on a daily basis? Because what you've described seems pretty minimal for data usage on any phone...

I get by on 500 MB of data a month, but Wi-Fi almost permanently enabled as I often leave my Curve at home.
    Last edited by Wretch 64; 10-21-11 at 11:23 AM.
    10-21-11 11:20 AM
    The usage logs from my cell company don't match with actual usage. But the amount of data I've described costs about $1.50/month if I don't even touch the phone. When I use Opera, the usage is more than twice what Opera says, and can be as much as 7x Opera. All that added up to a $16 bill for my first month. I'm sure that would be small change for many users, but since my total cell budget is about $10/month, it's significant.

However, the problem may be resolved. My data charges have been much lower for a few days, long enough for me to think there aren't any more big ones in the hopper.

I would still like to track how much data I'm using, but this would mean that Mobile Data Alerter is completely wrong. So I need a new data tracker.
    Last edited by Kiwi the Geek; 10-22-11 at 01:23 PM.
    10-22-11 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD