My father, brother, and wife have had blackberries for work for years (ok well my wife just got back into bb's), and see no use whatsoever for using BBM. They say "why bother with that when we can just e-mail?"

I'm still fairly new to bb's and am having trouble convincing them, but I'd like to get some arguments from peeps here.

I don't have a lot of BBM convos and maybe I'm missing something.

And please don't say "because it's cool!" They won't go for that.
    05-12-09 09:02 AM
    Because it makes SMS look ancient and it's quicker typing a BBM message...
    05-12-09 09:05 AM
    I would love to read the feedback as well on this topic as I don't know what the big deal is with using BBM over in other mode of communications (ie....sms, im, or email).
    05-12-09 09:10 AM
    Also on bbm you don't have a character limit and you can send pics and audio files through it as well
    05-12-09 09:12 AM
    BBM Pros:
    You can see that the message has been delivered;
    You can see that the message has been read;
    You can see if the contact is on a call, or unavailable;
    It's Instant;
    Sending Voice Notes or Files is lightning fast

Cons;
    Your wife can see if the message has been read
    05-12-09 09:13 AM
    BBM is awesome...I wish more people that I knew had BBs but they suck and dont!
    I like it because like Addict83 said you can send audio and pics and have no character limit. Its faster than sms and i like that is it chat only for bbs.

Cons;
    LMFAO!!! True, but just don't read it!
    05-12-09 09:14 AM
    I have 3 BBM contacts, I will force everyone else I know to get a BlackBerry just for this purpose.
    05-12-09 09:28 AM
    Because it makes SMS look ancient and it's quicker typing a BBM message...
    good argument but they don't use SMS much either.

Also on bbm you don't have a character limit and you can send pics and audio files through it as well
    i do like this one...

Keep 'em coming, people!
    05-12-09 09:39 AM
    It doesen't count against your TXT message allowance. But honestly, you can send them via BBM just by adding them to your contacts, unless they use BES and the security features prevents this from happening. Whether or not they like it is another story.
    05-12-09 09:55 AM
    Don't forget that it also tells you when the other person is typing. I find that comes in handy all the time.
    05-12-09 11:34 AM
    BBM Pros:
    You can see that the message has been delivered;
    You can see that the message has been read;
    You can see if the contact is on a call, or unavailable;
    It's Instant;
    Sending Voice Notes or Files is lightning fast

Cons;
    Lmao. That's great. I couldn't agree more. Well said!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 01:12 PM
    I know I'm going to be against everyone here but if e-mail works good enough for them and they said they don't want to use BBM then why try to convince them?
    05-12-09 01:42 PM
    The above responses are exactly what I was going to say. BBM is just incredibly convenient. I think my favorite thing about it is seeing if the person I'm texting with has read my last message & if they're typing out a response. I wish more of the people I know and talk to everyday had blackberrys so I could get rid of my text package.

05-12-09 01:53 PM
    I know I'm going to be against everyone here but if e-mail works good enough for them and they said they don't want to use BBM then why try to convince them?
    Because the OP would rather use bbm than email.

05-12-09 01:54 PM
    Its Greattt
    05-12-09 01:54 PM
    Because the OP would rather use bbm than email.

Which is fine but it's one against three.
    05-12-09 02:10 PM
    Which is fine but it's one against three.
    Yup & that's why they came here for our support. I would do the same if I were 1 against 3. Wouldn't you?

05-13-09 11:00 AM
    The point is The OP wants to show them the merits of BBM.

Anyhoo, Sure eMail can do all BBM can do. However BBM has the advantage over eMail in that... It's quicker simpler, and thus better suited to use if you need an immediate response or are carrying on a conversation. You can readily see whether the person you're looking to communicate with is currently available. BBM ties in with pretty much the rest of your device, so you can send a location which will pop up on their BBMaps, as well you can send vCards enabling you to update any of your own contact information on their devices on the fly. You can carry conversations with numerous people via Group Chat. That's just a few off the top of my head.
    05-13-09 11:20 AM
    Yup & that's why they came here for our support. I would do the same if I were 1 against 3. Wouldn't you?

No I wouldn't.

I know 4 people that I talk to regularly that have Blackberry's and don't want to use BBM. Doesn't bother me.
    05-13-09 12:13 PM
    I too at one point was a non believer in BBM. But then was shown the light. I Used to hear about it and see my friends on it but just brushed it off. Some advantages off top is being able to communicate in a group chat with more than two people, being able to tell the persons status in terms of if they are busy, available or are writing back to you. It seems to send and receive messages faster than text messages. It gives a threaded message. I don't think convincing them to like it is going to be the hard part. It's to get them try it initially. After that they'll love it.
    05-13-09 12:42 PM
    Forever29 you are exhausting me! Lol!

I meant in general, not specifically about bbm. If I were really excited about something, or felt very strongly about a subject, and the people that I needed to go along with it were resisting, I would do the same as the op & try to get some backup to reinforce my position. Surely you have had to convince someone of something at some point.

Last edited by StrwBerryBlond; 05-13-09 at 12:56 PM.
    05-13-09 12:54 PM
    Forever29 you are exhausting me! Lol!

I meant in general, not specifically about bbm. If I were really excited about something, or felt very strongly about a subject, and the people that I needed to go along with it were resisting, I would do the same as the op & try to get some backup to reinforce my position. Surely you have had to convince someone of something at some point.

Stop making sense and putting me in my place.
    05-13-09 12:59 PM
    I find that bbm is a whole lot easier for carrying on a conversation than using email. The email approach can get pretty messy after a while if you aren't deleting the quoted message.

05-13-09 01:00 PM
    all the points listed here are valid arguements lol
    05-13-09 01:15 PM
    I love BBM and that's the only way I will send a message to another BB user. However, my cousin insists on sending me PIN messages that are delivered to my hidden messages folder. What the **** is the point of a PIN message anyway?
    05-13-09 01:47 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD