Hi

I used to have OS5 on my computer but I had problems on my computer and a friend cleaned and rebooted it. Unfortunately my OS5 was taken off the computer, I can't find my system disc so I was going to download it from Blackberrys official site but they only have OS6.

I'm just worried that if I download OS6 onto my computer then back-up all my info from my phone, I may lose contacts etc from my phone.

Am I just being over cautious?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jay
    08-13-11 04:52 PM
    Download blackberry protect first and do a wireless backup of your contacts etc. Plus its free from blackberry!
    08-13-11 04:55 PM
    You'll also need to download and install the desktop software besides the device software version 5. Search for 5.0.0.862, 5.0.0.938, 5.0.0.1014 and you'll find the links, hopefully they aren't dead. Some are leaked, others are official, but they likely won't be from your carrier. Remember to delete the vendor.xml file after installing them. Search for the file using windows search (on windows 7) or by pressing F3 on any version of windows to bring up the search.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 05:44 PM
    @Zach7 Thank you so much for your advice. I did that and I've now backed up all my information.

@Rootbrian With regards to downloading the new software etc, which system would you recommend to download 5.0.0.862, 5.0.0.938, 5.0.0.1014? Why do I need to delete the vendor.xml file?

Also do you think I should download the old V5 or upgrade to V6? What are the benefits of V6?

Thank you both for your valuable advice.
    08-14-11 02:22 PM
    @Zach7 Thank you so much for your advice. I did that and I've now backed up all my information.

@Rootbrian With regards to downloading the new software etc, which system would you recommend to download 5.0.0.862, 5.0.0.938, 5.0.0.1014? Why do I need to delete the vendor.xml file?

Also do you think I should download the old V5 or upgrade to V6? What are the benefits of V6?

Thank you both for your valuable advice.
    If your carrier doesn't offer up .862, .938 (it was leaked, never backed by a carrier) or .1014, you'll need to delete the vendor.xml file or the apploader won't load it up.

OS 6 offers new features, but it has a few drawbacks: memory "leak", some themes (the stock theme) in older builds then 6.0.0.576, don't properly keep track of the battery level, and prematurely say it's very low, when it's not.

OS 5 is rock solid, if you don't need the extra features.

08-14-11 05:57 PM
    had downloaded os 6 but it's too large for the browser get a lot of page too large must close page but for the rest it work find i downgraded to os 5 more memory
    08-14-11 06:27 PM
    Ok, I've got the OS 5 but I need the DM V5 also.

Any links or forum posts you can forward me too?
    08-16-11 07:42 AM
    Ok, I've got the OS 5 but I need the DM V5 also.

Any links or forum posts you can forward me too?
    I have DM 6 and I have loaded OS 5 on my device before. You don't need desktop software V5 to use OS 5. It will function normally.

08-16-11 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD