05-23-14 02:56 PM
879 ... 2425262728 ...
tools
    Just a thought, but could some of these problems everyone is having arise due to the Blackberry Desktop Redirector? From it's name/ description I assume that I only need to use the redirector if I do NOT have my BB device configured with the server settings of my Gmail account. Since I do, my BB converses directly with the Gmail servers (and those of my other email accounts that are set up thus)

Here is how I have my system set up:I have a Gmail address which I read through both the gmail web client and, on my home PC, with Outlook (I have an account created in Outlook using the smtp.gmail.com and pop.gmail.com servers respectively; so there is no forwarding going on) On my laptop I access Gmail with the normal GMail web client. I have my Curve (ATT) with multiple email accounts, one for this same GMail account so that it also converses directly with the Gmail servers.

So, presumably, if my assumptions about what the Redirector does are true, every time an email arrives at my GMail address it is mirrored in three places: 1)the actual Gmail online inbox 2) My Outlook inbox, and 3) my inbox on my BB device since they all have access directly to the pop server.

IF the redirector is on and working AND Outlook is open at the time, wouldn't the Redirector automatically send out the email that it sees just arrived in Outlook to my BB device? (This would be independent of the one that my BB device already downloaded from the Gmail server itself, right?)

So, is it possible that the problem is not caused by the lack of a filter but instead by one's device downloading the email on its own and then the BB Desktop Redirector application sending out a copy of the email as it comes in to Outlook? (or other such desktop mail client)

Note: I have tried the filter solution and it DOES work to prevent the copies from appearing on the BB device BUT this is not a real solution for me for the same reason so many have noted before: I often send stuff to myself simply to get it either onto the BB or to move it easily from one machine to another. Just because an email comes from me doesn't mean that I don't want to see it. The problem isn't that it is FORWARDING the sent item to me, the real problem is that it's actually sending me a copy of the email because it doesn't know that I've already accessed it a different way.

I should also note that I do realize you can tell the Gmail server to remove items from the server once they're accessed by either Outlook or the BB device but this also does not solve the problem. What I want is for my Outlook folders, Gmail inbox and BB inbox to all be EXACT mirrors of one another. Does that make sense? I don't want to filter out anything, what I want is to prevent it from happening in the first place. I used to have this exact scenario with my older BB using the exact same gmail account. It NEVER sent me copies of the emails I sent out and when I logged into Gmail and looked in my sent items folder, even messages I sent solely from the BB device showed up in the sent items. I have turned the BB device to "hide sent messages" so I know that's not the problem.

Does any of this make sense to anyone out there? I am at wits end. I think that part of the solution is to definitely set Gmail to archive sent items but I cannot find that in the GMail setting anywhere and I've read every single page of this thread as well.

--Chad

Postscript: I cannot remove the email accounts from the BB and simply let the Redirector send me my email as there are times (such as when Windows downloads and installs an update and forcefully reboots the pc; or when my router is malfunctioning and I'm not home) that it simply would not occur and I'd be out and about not getting emails.
    Last edited by mtbchad; 02-13-09 at 02:33 PM. Reason: postscript
    02-13-09 02:28 PM
    I have had this "problem" from day 1, thought i couldnt fix it. now that i have, i am in heaven!!
    02-13-09 02:32 PM
    thank you the information really helped
    02-15-09 12:25 AM
    Does anyone know how to do this for a telus storm?
    02-15-09 12:32 AM
    Awesome, thanks for the info!!!
    02-15-09 08:52 PM
    Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. After some searching for a problem that was driving me nuts as a first time BB user I came across this thread which I assume will fix it for me. Thanks!
    02-15-09 09:55 PM
    can anybody help me find the IMEI? I dont have my box anymore, and i guess its required to set up a BIS account through Sprint. Any suggestions on what the is and where i can find it?
    02-16-09 03:33 PM
    Options-> Status
    02-16-09 03:39 PM
    i tried that. all i get is PIN, ESN (dec) and ESN (hex).
    02-16-09 03:43 PM
    Options-> Status
    02-16-09 03:50 PM
    What a great post, this is what Crackberry is all about. Thank you.
    02-16-09 04:49 PM
    Thank you for this tip. Was easy to do and now works perfect.
    02-16-09 05:41 PM
    Again, I tried this. I still can't seem to figure out where the IMEI code is. Nuibeav, if you tell me Options -> Status again, im gonna throw my Blackberry at my cat. Please don't make me do that. This is what I see when I go into STATUS, and no, the ESN's are not real.

Signal: -103 dBm
    Battery: 75 %
    File Free: 41392279
    PIN: 31CB6D2A
    ESN (dec): 07512395773
    ESN (hex): 4bce0a43

Any advice (besides Options ->Status) would be appreciated
    02-16-09 06:35 PM
    Direct from BB's website....

Depending on your wireless service provider, your BlackBerry® device will have either an IMEI, ESN, or MEID.
    Perform one of the following actions:

* On your device, in the device options, click Status.
    * Search for the PIN and IMEI, ESN, or MEID information on the outside of the box that your device came in.
    * Turn off the device and remove the battery. Search for the sticker with the PIN and IMEI, ESN, or MEID information.
    02-16-09 07:23 PM
    Hi, I tried to access the Verizon BIS site but when I create a new account, it tells me that an account has already been associated with my PIN. However, I don't know the username and password. When I tell it to email me the password following the "Forgot Password" link, I receive an email on the device telling me that I don't have a username and password yet and to use the device to access Blackberry Internet Service.

How do I fix this? I know at one point I came across a menu on the device where I can create a username and password but I can't seem to find it now. Please advice.
    Thanks.
    02-17-09 12:10 PM
    Excellent!
    Thank you for your help.
    02-17-09 12:42 PM
    Again, I tried this. I still can't seem to figure out where the IMEI code is. Nuibeav, if you tell me Options -> Status again, im gonna throw my Blackberry at my cat. Please don't make me do that. This is what I see when I go into STATUS, and no, the ESN's are not real.

Signal: -103 dBm
    Battery: 75 %
    File Free: 41392279
    PIN: 31CB6D2A
    ESN (dec): 07512395773
    ESN (hex): 4bce0a43

Any advice (besides Options ->Status) would be appreciated
    IMEI doesn't exist on CDMA devices if it does, you wouldn't be able to find it anyway. ESN (for CDMA devices) = IMEI (For GSM Devices)

basically a unique serial number for a device, like a MAC Address on a Network Card.
    02-17-09 12:44 PM
    Thanks, I'll give the esn a shot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 11:44 PM
    OK, I just went into BIS and added a filter. It appears to no longer show and email from me IF I send/reply from my gmail account THRU my computer.

If I send/reply from Blackberry, it still shows up. Would that be as simple as selecting "Hide sent messages"?
    02-18-09 10:16 AM
    Thanks for this thread. New BB user myself. I just tried the filter and input my address in the "from" field and it worked perfectly. However, I tested it out by sending an email to another address that I use, and when I reply FROM that address I am not getting the reply on my phone? Is there something I am doing wrong? Cause now I am afraid I won't get emails responses.

Thanks.
    02-18-09 10:51 AM
    Thanks Navi! Worked like a charm.

Bryan
    02-19-09 12:35 AM
    I just added the filter per your instructions and it works!
    I talked to a Verizon rep today and he told me it had to be done through google not through BIS as you told us. You were right. Thank you!
    02-19-09 10:52 PM
    The Verizon version doesn't look anything like that, and there's no option for filters.
    02-20-09 12:36 PM
    Doood i had this same problem and it kept pissin me off... nice post
    02-20-09 12:39 PM
    ATTENTION VERIZON USERS

K I think I got it figured out...if you access the site from your BB click on Create User Name, it tells you that from now on you'll have to enter your password everytime blah blah blah...create your username and password and then re-enter the passwords for the emails you have set up. Then, you can log into the site from a regular Mac or PC and the filters option is present!
    02-20-09 01:27 PM
879 ... 2425262728 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD