You can setup both. Set it up to push to your BB inbox and also setup the Gmail app. I use both. It's sometimes nice to have access to your actual Gmail and the app works great.
    As the niubeav says, it is almost instantaneous. It's extremely fast at pushing to BB.
    Yeah but the problem with doing both is that when you use the app to read mail, then they remain unread on the BB. I'm not into marking things read twice....
    07-06-09 03:58 PM
    You can just select the day in your bb email and select mark all previous as read. Problem solved.
    07-06-09 04:32 PM
    You can just select the day in your bb email and select mark all previous as read. Problem solved.
    Maybe it's just me, but hackish solutions like this are not acceptable to it actually working the way it needs to.
    07-06-09 04:53 PM
    Its not a hackish solution....... If they made it have all the same features as BES then there would be little point to buying BES in many cases.

Yes i agree that it should be two way. But i HIGHLY doubt you get so many emails in a day that it is a massive inconvience for you to press a 3 sequence of buttons to clear unread items as read.
    Get a hold of yourself.
    07-06-09 05:01 PM
    Its not a hackish solution....... If they made it have all the same features as BES then there would be little point to buying BES in many cases.

Yes i agree that it should be two way. But i HIGHLY doubt you get so many emails in a day that it is a massive inconvience for you to press a 3 sequence of buttons to clear unread items as read.
    Get a hold of yourself.
    I totally ditto that! If you want the two way sync, go get yourself a yahoo email account. There is two way syncing with yahoo. If you don't want to switch to yahoo, then buck up and do the mark prior open method. It won't kill you...believe me...I do this everyday....

And as for it working the way it needs to, it does work the way it needs to...it just doesn't work the way YOU WANT it to...
    07-06-09 05:05 PM
    Sorry guys, I just don't buy it. You can be apologists if you want, but there's no reason for it not to work two-way, especially if Yahoo *does* work that way, as niubeav said.

And I disagree about it conflicting with buying BES. There are many more advantages for a company to have BES than just two-way sync!

And yes, I WANT it to work this way, but that's not just a personal preference. Everything I've read about this process mentions this as a downside, and clearly it's something that can be fixed, or if you prefer, "implemented."

Trying to justify it by saying "just press 3 buttons" and it won't "kill" me isn't enough for me. None of us should be happy with having to do extra work for a feature it would clearly be useful to have. If you even have to manually go in and mark everything as read in the first place, this proves that you get no value from the emails *not* being marked read automatically.
    07-06-09 05:22 PM
    Also, are you able to do any gmailish type of actions on gmail received in your BB inbox, like marking them for archiving, etc.? Or do they all just sit in your gmail inbox when you log back into the website?
    07-07-09 08:26 AM
    Maybe you need to take a look at this
    Enhanced Gmail Plug-in for BlackBerry now in testing

It looks like you will be able to do the archiving and everything when this gets pushed out to carriers.
    07-07-09 09:22 AM
    Maybe you need to take a look at this
    Enhanced Gmail Plug-in for BlackBerry now in testing
    Thanks. And here's the text. Nice to see other people agree with me about the poor functionality and that it should be a normal feature:

"It's no secret that using Gmail on a BlackBerry is a painful experience -- since the built-in mail client has shamefully broken IMAP support, your only real choice is a variant of the same Java-based Gmail app that runs on ancient featurephones, and that rules out direct integration with either contacts or attachments. Yeah, it's sad, but hope is in the air, as RIM's apparently beta testing something called the "Enhanced Gmail Plug-in for BlackBerry," which promises to bring things up to speed. Features are said to include Conversation View, support for labels, stars, and archiving, and full mailbox search -- you know, Gmail. Of course, it would be even nicer if RIM would just sack up and bring proper IMAP support to the most famous messaging platform in the world, but we'll take what we can get."
    07-07-09 09:28 AM
    Thanks. And here's the text. Nice to see other people agree with me about the poor functionality and that it should be a normal feature:

"It's no secret that using Gmail on a BlackBerry is a painful experience -- since the built-in mail client has shamefully broken IMAP support, your only real choice is a variant of the same Java-based Gmail app that runs on ancient featurephones, and that rules out direct integration with either contacts or attachments. Yeah, it's sad, but hope is in the air, as RIM's apparently beta testing something called the "Enhanced Gmail Plug-in for BlackBerry," which promises to bring things up to speed. Features are said to include Conversation View, support for labels, stars, and archiving, and full mailbox search -- you know, Gmail. Of course, it would be even nicer if RIM would just sack up and bring proper IMAP support to the most famous messaging platform in the world, but we'll take what we can get."
    Just FYI, BGR is pretty much an apple/iPhone fanboy site, even though they say they like BBs, so take their criticisims of RIM with a grain of salt....

BTW, it's just not Gmail that there's the "proper IMAP support" problem with. It's any IMAP email. I have an IMAP server at work, and when set up through my BB, there's the same issue with Gmail. The BIS client is just not built to work with the two way syncing. Yahoo has happened to work together with RIM to do the two way "read" syncing, whereas Gmail has not. We should put some of the blame on Google as well...

The Messaging application on the BB is not an E-mail "client" like you would have on a PC (think Mac OSX Mail, Entourage, Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, etc.), or even an iPhone. It is an access to a service that will push the emails to your BlackBerry.
    Last edited by niubeav; 07-07-09 at 09:51 AM.
    07-07-09 09:39 AM
    Just FYI, BGR is pretty much an apple/iPhone fanboy site, even though they say they like BBs, so take their criticisims of RIM with a grain of salt....

We should put some of the blame on Google as well...
    Yeah, I've come not to trust BGR much lately, especially after reading a Tour review that pretty much bowed and scraped to Verizon the entire way through.

And I definitely have no problem seeing this as a Google issue as well. Clearly they could do something to fix the issue too, it's just strange that they haven't, given how popular it is.
    07-07-09 09:55 AM
    Well done lad. You've earned another 'thank you' from another appreciative addict.
    07-17-09 12:36 AM
    when i get gmail it shows in both the gmail inbox and my BES inbox. same with my BB messenger messages. I switched setting to have separate inboxes but that hasn't changed anything. also when i delete an email from my desktop -- or move it out of the inbox to a folder -- the BB doesn't update. thoughts? thanks!
    07-17-09 03:15 PM
    when i get gmail it shows in both the gmail inbox and my BES inbox. same with my BB messenger messages. I switched setting to have separate inboxes but that hasn't changed anything. also when i delete an email from my desktop -- or move it out of the inbox to a folder -- the BB doesn't update. thoughts? thanks!

Well first, the Gmail account will only be a one way sync of the messages. If you read or delete a message from gmail it will still be on your blackberry as unread. The BES account should update, but i have never used one so i cannot confirm.

Second for the emails being in the same inbox. Are you using the "Messages" application? If so this is your problem. You need to use the individual email applications/links that were created. So if your if the Application Switcher app then remember that you should not be using it to get your emails. The Messages application is always open and is like the gateway for messages (sms, email etc), but you should not be using it.
    07-17-09 06:53 PM
    By default the "Messages" icon contains your Missed Calls, BB Messenger (BBM) messages, BES inbox and any other email inboxes that you setup through BIS (i.e. GMail) with a separate icon for each BIS email inbox. Choosing the option to separate SMS and email boxes will only setup separate a icon for SMS/MMS and Messages will still contain everything else that I've mentioned (voicemail shows up in SMS/MMS).

I've read that a BES Administrator may be able to control the behavior and force BIS email inboxes to not show up in "Messages".
    07-17-09 07:10 PM
    THe message app/icon still contains all messages
    07-17-09 07:15 PM
    Ah. this is starting to make sense. I've been using sms/mms; visual voice mail, BB messenger, etc. for those applications. I don't have a BES email icon or folder.... so I had assumed that "messages" was my office email. It seems most of my friends who have had BB for a while are doing the same! Can you tell me how to find/setup that BES/office email only icon? that would be a huge help. thanks.
    07-20-09 09:54 AM
    It is under the theme settings. YOu switch the setting to separate email/message accounts. Also your BES should already show up. Would look like a envelope with a globe in the bottom center.

Also your BES is activated correct?
    07-20-09 12:59 PM
    I try to create an account on ATT's BIS but i get this message (in order to change my email settings to not receive a copy of my sent emails from Gmail). What address would I type into my web browser on my phone? I tried the same BIS address and it doesn't work

Thanks
    07-28-09 03:54 PM
    I was getting what seemed to be automatically saved-drafts in my gmail inbox on my BB as I was typing them on my Mac. Well, that's exactly what it was.

When I config'd my gmail IMAP settings on my Mac, either automatically or by my own hand, I set "Save drafts on server" to active. Doh. It did exactly what what it was told. And I got every save sent to my Tour. Maddening.

Was:

Now:

Just posted this for reference if anyone else sees what appears to be auto-saved drafts from PC/Mac mail showing up on their BB...
    08-01-09 07:53 PM

So, apparently, I automatically had an account set up with my phone, I guess...?
    That's what I'm wondering? Did Verizon set up an account for me on the BIS website? When I bought my phone, the Verizon lady set up my e-mail for me. Guess I need to call Verizon and get the password?
    08-09-09 05:49 PM
    Well, I called Verizon and told the lady my problem, she created an account for me, set the filters and did everything. I was very impressed with the level of service she provided. Now I just need to receive an e-mail that I can reply back to and see if the filter works!
    08-10-09 03:23 PM
    I love this thread. Now I can finally stop getting email from myself. Great tip!!!! Thanks again!!!
    08-13-09 10:24 PM
    Well I originally applied the filter and it worked for some time. I changed something (not exactly sure what), then the filter stopped being applied to my gmail. So now I still get messages I've sent on my blackberry despite the filter being in place.
    08-18-09 02:13 PM
    Hey guys I have TMobile and I cant find the filter option on the new website!
    08-22-09 07:50 PM
879 ... 3132333435 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD