I noticed today that my contacts and calendar events on gmail were not syncing. I use the option within the gmail setup on my bb to allow sync. I do not use google sync app. I verified wireless sync was checked and activated. I also deleted my gmail account from my bb and added it back and got sync one time on the initial setup. I have been using this arrangement for a long time with no problem. Am I the only one or is google/gmail servers having a problem or can anyone offer advise?

Thanks
    02-24-12 03:32 PM
    Hi,

I have the same problem. I was using the google sync app on my previous BB which was working very well.
    I had installed it on the new Bold 9900, however it was syncing the gmail contacts to the default desktop list and did not find it convenient, so I used the new way and configured the gmail account on the BB.

However, this looks like a one-way sync, from gmail to the BB. It does not sync from the BB to gmail. How can one enable that?

Thanks
    04-10-12 03:47 AM
    I noticed today that my contacts and calendar events on gmail were not syncing. I use the option within the gmail setup on my bb to allow sync. I do not use google sync app. I verified wireless sync was checked and activated. I also deleted my gmail account from my bb and added it back and got sync one time on the initial setup. I have been using this arrangement for a long time with no problem. Am I the only one or is google/gmail servers having a problem or can anyone offer advise?

Thanks
    I've run into similar issues (because I reinstall my OS A LOT). Usually there's a service book issue and the best way I've found to deal with it (after deleting the account and adding it back) is to run the E-mail Setup app a few times. Sometimes the activation hangs, and I just try a battery pull and launch E-mail Setup to kick it into action.
    04-12-12 12:46 PM
    Hi,

I have the same problem. I was using the google sync app on my previous BB which was working very well.
    I had installed it on the new Bold 9900, however it was syncing the gmail contacts to the default desktop list and did not find it convenient, so I used the new way and configured the gmail account on the BB.

However, this looks like a one-way sync, from gmail to the BB. It does not sync from the BB to gmail. How can one enable that?

Thanks
    Not sure what you're seeing as a one-way sync.

I have a google apps account setup just for syncing my contacts and calendar and it works very well as a two-way sync. The sync from BB to Gmail is practically instant, but if you check the support docs, there can be a delay syncing from Gmail to the BB. I haven't seen very long delays though.
    04-12-12 12:48 PM
    05-08-12 04:15 AM
    Tried various methods, and Google Sync worked the best for me.
    05-31-12 04:01 PM
    I tried Google Sync a LONG time ago. Since sync was integrated into BIS accounts, I've started using that instead. Works flawlessly for me.
    06-01-12 11:42 AM
    Even though I add contacts on the Blackberry, when it gets synced to Google and back I lose having the address in separate address, city, state, and zip on the Blackberry - it all merges onto the first address line. Do you see that as well and what do you do about it?

I tried Google Sync a LONG time ago. Since sync was integrated into BIS accounts, I've started using that instead. Works flawlessly for me.
    06-05-12 04:37 PM
    Even though I add contacts on the Blackberry, when it gets synced to Google and back I lose having the address in separate address, city, state, and zip on the Blackberry - it all merges onto the first address line. Do you see that as well and what do you do about it?
    Good point, and perhaps I should not have said "flawlessly."

I had read about folks seeing addresses get mangled during sync. So, I made sure to start with the template google provides for importing addresses. I had over 1200 contacts that I imported using that template. Alas, they are all mangled now with the full address showing up crammed into one line.

I do not know how to resolve this, or why it happens. Thankfully I have not needed to search for contacts based on city or state, but that is not an uncommon need for me. I'm certain I'll be pulling my hair out when that time comes.
    06-05-12 05:01 PM
    This is why I use the Google Sync app. BIS sync does not keep the correct format. This makes using Nav apps impossible somtimes since it does not see the address.
    06-05-12 05:20 PM
    Google sync doesn't do that?

This is why I use the Google Sync app. BIS sync does not keep the correct format. This makes using Nav apps impossible somtimes since it does not see the address.
    06-06-12 05:37 PM
    Google sync doesn't do that?
    I installed Google Sync late last night to see whether it handles addresses properly. As far as I can tell, using Google Sync will not result in the mangled addresses I've seen using BIS sync.

So to answer your question, that is correct. As chrisy520 stated, Google Sync will not mash all address fields into one line.
    06-07-12 12:17 PM
    Thanks.

And will google sync keep the calendar data on the blackberry device forever, or will it delete after a certain amount of time?

I installed Google Sync late last night to see whether it handles addresses properly. As far as I can tell, using Google Sync will not result in the mangled addresses I've seen using BIS sync.

So to answer your question, that is correct. As chrisy520 stated, Google Sync will not mash all address fields into one line.
    Last edited by estroh; 06-07-12 at 01:21 PM.
    06-07-12 01:15 PM
    Thanks.

And will google sync keep the calendar data on the blackberry device forever, or will it delete after a certain amount of time?
    That is a good question. I can tell you the sync window only extends to 4 weeks in the past, and at most 52 weeks into the future.

I'm not sure how sync'ed events are handled on the device once they fall outside the sync window.
    06-07-12 01:38 PM
    estroh, your question reminded me of why I didn't trust Google Sync with my calendar before. I had issues with how things were synchronized and what was deleted (and when). I honestly don't know what the end result would be, but for now I have re-enabled BIS sync for my calendar (that works perfectly for me) and I'm using Google Sync just for contacts.

Talk about a kludge. Sigh.
    06-07-12 01:46 PM
    Thats what I was afraid of, but that's brilliant idea.

Keep calendar, and use Google sync for contacts. Then I will have to fix all of my Blackberry contacts to get addresses in proper areas again.

estroh, your question reminded me of why I didn't trust Google Sync with my calendar before. I had issues with how things were synchronized and what was deleted (and when). I honestly don't know what the end result would be, but for now I have re-enabled BIS sync for my calendar (that works perfectly for me) and I'm using Google Sync just for contacts.

06-07-12 02:23 PM
    I tried doing it, and see that Google Sync wont do contacts unless I allow for duplicate names.

06-07-12 02:25 PM
    Thats what I was afraid of, but that's brilliant idea.

Keep calendar, and use Google sync for contacts. Then I will have to fix all of my Blackberry contacts to get addresses in proper areas again.
    Sigh. Yup. I have over 900 to clean up. I used to have over 1600. I need to do some cleaning regardless.
    06-07-12 03:08 PM
    Yikes! Got an extra couple of hundred to clean up.

I set Google Sync to automatic and contacts only.

Maybe I will clean one letter at a time from my Blackberry, and see if the changes stick.

Sigh. Yup. I have over 900 to clean up. I used to have over 1600. I need to do some cleaning regardless.
    06-07-12 03:44 PM
    It's not working right.

Started with 852 contacts, then went to 1600. I started deleting most duplicates and making some edits. now I have 2600's.
    06-07-12 08:02 PM
    It's not working right.

Started with 852 contacts, then went to 1600. I started deleting most duplicates and making some edits. now I have 2600's.
    Ouch! I believe the technical term for that is "kaflooey." Or FUBAR.

In the past, I have cleared the decks and started fresh just to avoid the dupe cycle. I rolled the dice this time and turned out OK.
    06-08-12 12:36 AM
    I'm down to 2100 now.

Seems most duplicates had company name in them and/or husband and wife names under "first name" category. Some have cell numbers and some don't, and some are missing first line of street addresses.

Ouch is right, but I dont think I can use Gmail app to delete duplicates without losing data.

So Sad!

Ouch! I believe the technical term for that is "kaflooey." Or FUBAR.

In the past, I have cleared the decks and started fresh just to avoid the dupe cycle. I rolled the dice this time and turned out OK.
    Last edited by estroh; 06-10-12 at 04:00 AM.
    06-08-12 10:03 AM
    I went through all my "A"s last night using the web interface, but you're right - I think there is a potential for losing data in unsynchronized fields.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-09-12 08:26 PM
    Back down to 839.

And I used Gmail merge to merge 2950 contacts into 929. So hopefully it wont mess up everything.
    Last edited by estroh; 06-10-12 at 05:42 PM.
    06-10-12 05:01 PM
    I have been using the BIS on board sync for gmail with no problems for a year. In the last couple of days it seems only to work in one direction: changes I make on the BB are updated very quickly on the desktop.
    In the other direction, the only sync that works is the email. An email I send from the desktop is shown on the BB, but nothing else. So if I delete an email on the desktop it still shows on the BB.
    And any changes or new entries I make on the PC to calendar or contacts are not shown on the BB. But calendar and contact changes made on the BB appear on the PC almost instantly.

very frustrating, any suggestions? I have a 9780, and I am in the UK

Thank you
    Graham
    06-14-12 11:49 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD