I'm a heavy BBM user and that is the #1 thing I love about my BB. I use it all day, everyday for work and play (hey, that rhymes!). I love the instant notification of a read message and even more I love knowing when the person I'm texting is typing a reply. I absolutely HATE when I have to stray from BBM and SMS a friend whose not on BB!

With all talk about whether or not RIM should license BBM to other platforms, what about just giving other platforms a very very basic version of BBM to show them what it is and how awesome it is compared to regular texting? I think there are MANY smartphone users who've never had a BB and don't realize what they are missing in BBM! With BBM now being integrated with other apps, video BBM chat apparently coming, as well as many other new features coming down the road I'm sure, maybe keeping all the advanced functionality exclusive for BB users and giving other platforms a very basic 'texting only' version to show them how great it is could entice some to switch over?

Heck, would it even be possible to make a full version free BBM app to other platforms that expires after say 30 days? Just to give 'em a taste and make them want more??
    07-12-12 09:51 AM
    What does bbm have over other IM apps?
    07-12-12 10:02 AM
    What does bbm have over other IM apps?
    An in-depth look at the features of BlackBerry Messenger vs. iMessage | CrackBerry.com
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-12-12 10:05 AM
    OK so now how many people do you know that pay a monthly fee for an IM app?

I think both bbm and imessage bite because they are both proprietary.
    07-12-12 10:11 AM
    I'm a heavy BBM user and that is the #1 thing I love about my BB. I use it all day, everyday for work and play (hey, that rhymes!). I love the instant notification of a read message and even more I love knowing when the person I'm texting is typing a reply. I absolutely HATE when I have to stray from BBM and SMS a friend whose not on BB!

With all talk about whether or not RIM should license BBM to other platforms, what about just giving other platforms a very very basic version of BBM to show them what it is and how awesome it is compared to regular texting? I think there are MANY smartphone users who've never had a BB and don't realize what they are missing in BBM! With BBM now being integrated with other apps, video BBM chat apparently coming, as well as many other new features coming down the road I'm sure, maybe keeping all the advanced functionality exclusive for BB users and giving other platforms a very basic 'texting only' version to show them how great it is could entice some to switch over?

Heck, would it even be possible to make a full version free BBM app to other platforms that expires after say 30 days? Just to give 'em a taste and make them want more??
    "Teenagers still embrace BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM, for its quick and free instant messaging, and its easy-to-use contact list of friends. Security professionals—police, firefighters and ambulance drivers—have come to rely on it as one of the most dependable forms of electronic communications. There are more than 55 million BBM users today, up more than tenfold from the 5.3 million users in January 2009, according to RIM." -WSJ May 2012

Here is the CEO's intentions with BBM, weather a lisencing deal in the future changes the "goal" cannot yet be said:

Heins Elaborates on BlackBerry Messenger in The BB10 OS
    “BBM is a very, strong platform… With upgrading it into a new experience, think about adding features on BB10 such as video chat, for example, within BBM. There’s many other features to come with BB10 that will really level this BBM experience… which will upgrade that experience to a whole new social networking experience based on BBM… we want to use this to build a BlackBerry-driven social networking platform.”

And this is why Facebook wants to make a cellphone^
    BBM was/is(?) the first widley popular MOBILE social network. And its user base is growing every day. Even as BB popularity drops in North America.
    Last edited by jamezalexander; 07-12-12 at 10:39 AM.
    07-12-12 10:16 AM

iMessage cannot hold any light against BBM. Again it's the entire back-end that's really important. It allows "secure" groups to be made to have private conversations in real time.
    It's essentially a different service at its core. BBM is much much more

It's more showing the consumer how much more it really does offer.
    yanicmb, Mr_Comet and kbz1960 like this.
    07-12-12 10:30 AM

I don't chastise either iMessage nor BBM for being proprietary, so long as the OS's they live on allow for alternative clients to be installed as well.

by being proprietary the management costs of having the service are reduced, AND the need to charge a fee for the usage of the system is minimized due to the revenue from hardware costs.
    Other cross platform IM clients require ad revenue, or some other model to be successful, I'll take a few proprietary clients over ad supported clients any day.

As for people paying a monthly fee, I suspect a VAST majority of users pay a monthly fee for the IM privileges of SMS on their carrier network, today paying for SMS when you own a smartphone is no different than paying for another IM client. I pay PER SMS as apposed to paying monthly as I rarely send enough SMS messages to even come close to the lowest monthly plan. thankfully that is due to BBM and email
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-12-12 10:38 AM
    BBM was cool when I used it back in 2010-2011.
    After that all my friends went to other platforms.

But, I kind of like iMessage over BBM because of the simplicity of it.
    It's not it's own app. It's right there within the SMS app. You can see when a person read your message just like BBM.
    It automatically shows if the person is also on an iPhone using iMessage web you compose a message.
    I just like the simplicity of it.

BBM is just as great. But kind of useless (for me) since nobody I know has a blackberry anymore. & since mine broke I'm forced to use my iPhone for now. :/

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    07-12-12 10:42 AM
    BBM was cool when I used it back in 2010-2011.
    After that all my friends went to other platforms.

But, I kind of like iMessage over BBM because of the simplicity of it.
    It's not it's own app. It's right there within the SMS app. You can see when a person read your message just like BBM.
    It automatically shows if the person is also on an iPhone using iMessage web you compose a message.
    I just like the simplicity of it.

BBM is just as great. But kind of useless (for me) since nobody I know has a blackberry anymore. & since mine broke I'm forced to use my iPhone for now. :/

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    While I agree the simplicity of iMessage is nice, as it is just an SMS extension.

But it doesn't actually encourage communication or interaction with your contacts as much as facilitates it.
    With BBM you see the little notifications of peoples changed status & changed pictures. this reminds you to reach out and say HEY, or comments about the picture, or event they are attending, it is similar interaction I assume people use with facebook and commenting on pictures.
    BBM Brings people together, in the busy life when you're not really thinking about how your Aunts day is going, then you see her BBM status says that she is at the DMV with your cousin going for his G1 license, and a long conversation ensues and you find out she's selling the motorcycle you've had your eye on.. ( last week this happened for me)

with my iMessage I contact people when I need them, I never reach out for a hey, unless I already was thinking about them.

I could go on doubly long about the use of BBM groups.
    07-12-12 10:48 AM
    Thanks for the info guys.

But since we all know that for most bbm is not getting people to buy bb's at least in the USA. I don't know how many on other platforms would be willing to pay a monthly fee for it.

As many have said bbm is useless to them because the people they want to contact with it don't own a bb. I do see the advantage of it if only it were cross platform but I don't see the people I know willing to pay for it.
    07-12-12 10:55 AM

I'm not sure about that! For example, in my country Blackberries are the most popular phones at the moment, and it's all because of BBM! Even a lot of people who could afford an Iphone or a high end Android still go and get a Blackberry.

If BBM is available on other platforms, then Blackberries wouldn't be that interesting anymore because you can just get a cheap Android with a keyboard that does the same as a BB. Even a cheap Blackberry is not that cheap when you compare it to other phones;
    Then if users are only given a very basic texting version of BBM then it might be hard for them to see how great it is as a whole.

In so many countries around the world in which BB is still No. 1, I think that making BBM available on other platforms would not be a good thing for the brand.
    BBNation likes this.
    07-12-12 11:00 AM

But since we all know that for most bbm is not getting people to buy bb's at least in the USA. I don't know how many on other platforms would be willing to pay a monthly fee for it.

As many have said bbm is useless to them because the people they want to contact with it don't own a bb. I do see the advantage of it if only it were cross platform but I don't see the people I know willing to pay for it.
    It won't go cross platform. It will only live on BB10, the question is will BB10 be licensed or will a partnership bring BBM/BB10 to new hardware, and by extension expand the Blackberry user base including BBM. In other countries having to pay for data and sms along with buying your phone outright is a pain. BBM truly alleviates a cost that is incurred on other devices, especially in places where BBM is still popular. If anything BB's popularity outside the US is fueled mainly by BBM. Keeping it proprietary will allow it to be leveraged effectively come 2013

No one will be willing to pay for it on another platform because there are a gazillion other IM clinets that emulate; but none that truly recreate what BBM is.
    07-12-12 11:09 AM

I FULLY agree you wont get people paying a fee for BBM

BBM is a reason to stay with a BlackBerry if that is the primary means of communication for your peer group, BBM is ONLY a reason to buy a BlackBerry if your peer group already uses, it, as BBM like any IM client is useless unless you have others to converse with,

I think BBM on other platforms would be silly, UNLESS the device was connected to the BES/MF then having a stripped down BBM client for devices connected to the BES/MF increases BBM's reach and makes BBM an intraclel part of Enterprise use. thus securing BES/MF installations against competitors
    James Nieves likes this.
    07-12-12 11:11 AM
    Bbm rocks for the reasons above.

Whatsapp got deleted a long time ago.

When I receive an sms I wonder where the sound came from where I seldom get them nowadays haha.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    07-12-12 11:12 AM
    While I agree the simplicity of iMessage is nice, as it is just an SMS extension.

But it doesn't actually encourage communication or interaction with your contacts as much as facilitates it.
    With BBM you see the little notifications of peoples changed status & changed pictures. this reminds you to reach out and say HEY, or comments about the picture, or event they are attending, it is similar interaction I assume people use with facebook and commenting on pictures.
    BBM Brings people together, in the busy life when you're not really thinking about how your Aunts day is going, then you see her BBM status says that she is at the DMV with your cousin going for his G1 license, and a long conversation ensues and you find out she's selling the motorcycle you've had your eye on.. ( last week this happened for me)

with my iMessage I contact people when I need them, I never reach out for a hey, unless I already was thinking about them.

I could go on doubly long about the use of BBM groups.
    Eh I don't really need to see a status or a picture when I'm texting/messaging anybody
    to reach out & say hey if I wasn't already planning to hit them up.
    That's what I have twitter & FB (when I actually log on to FB, which isn't often), lol.

iMessage has group messaging as well, so it too can bring people "together" in a sense.
    I just prefer iMessage. I'm not saying BBM isn't good, I like it.
    But iMessage is just my preference. I like simplicity & iMessage gives me that.

I still think carriers should somehow make it to where all phones no matter what platform
    you're on shows whether or not your text was read by whoever you sent it to lol.
    It would make things so much easier.
    07-12-12 11:16 AM
    OK so bbm is going to save RIM? Why hasn't it already? Or are you saying they don't need saving?

You all know I support RIM and bb.
    07-12-12 11:17 AM
    The uniqueness of BB/BBM and it's capabilities will be a real eye opener when BB10 comes out, it will be sooo much more than just a smartphone, that term will be a dim and distant memory very soon. No other vendor can offer what BB already has. I prefer to be in this group thank you very much.
    07-12-12 11:21 AM
    Eh I don't really need to see a status or a picture when I'm texting/messaging anybody
    That's what I have twitter & FB (when I actually log on to FB, which isn't often), lol.

iMessage has group messaging as well, so it too can bring people "together" in a sense.

I still think carriers should somehow make it to where all phones no matter what platform
    you're on shows whether or not your text was read by whoever you sent it to lol.

Yes Facebook and twitter are those similar tools to BBM, BBM I guess is a hybrid between Twitter/FB & iMessage,
    as for iMessage groups... ya that isn't the same at all, it's a textual conference call, compared to a group meeting together is how I'd compare the 2.

I'm not saying seeing the picture/or status is used WHEN messaging someone, I'm saying it encourage TO message someone, though I do appreciate the picture WHEN I message people as well, seeing as I have a few contacts with the same name the pictures help make sure I don't talk to the wrong contact. but that's beside the point, the Status/Picture/App install updates create topic discussions, where as iMessage simply facilitates the topics in which you set out to discuss.

BOTH have value, I do USE iMessage and every single person I use iMessage with also has Skype installed, so I could be using Skype but you are right that iMessage has the simplicity that makes it more convenient to use. but I'd never think of comparing it to BBM.
    07-12-12 11:23 AM
    GoogleTalk works perfect for me and messages are just as fast as BBM. I would never pay for BBM as no one I know uses it and don't know anyone that would be willing to pay for it.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-12-12 11:23 AM
    OK so bbm is going to save RIM? Why hasn't it already? Or are you saying they don't need saving?

You all know I support RIM and bb.
    I believe RIM is putting too much emphasis on BBM in it's hopes to regain it's once authoritative position among mobile platforms.

I LOVE BBM as can be seen in many of my posts, I appreciate it for what it is, and point out where it lacks, RIM has potential to further expand BBM into a more dominate platform and tool, but they can't plan their entire come back around BBM,

I HOPE they've put as much thought into Contact management, and email use, and App world as they have into BBM, App World NEEDS to be exciting it will be crucial for RIM's comeback
    pantlesspenguin and kbz1960 like this.
    07-12-12 11:26 AM
    RIM has potential to further expand BBM into a more dominate platform and tool,
    Here is where I get lost. This comment was made by Mr Heins during his presentation
    at the AGM and I am struggling to understand what this even means.

BBM as a tool with an enhanced feature set I can see. As a "platform" seems
    a bridge too far.
    07-12-12 11:46 AM
    I like BBM, but the reality is that my contact list was growing shorter and shorter on my personal phone. I don't use it as much on my work BB.

It probably would be wildly popular with kids, but as someone else mentioned why would they pay for BBM when everyone they know has Twitter or FB for free.
    07-12-12 11:48 AM
    I like BBM, but the reality is that my contact list was growing shorter and shorter on my personal phone. I don't use it as much on my work BB.

It probably would be wildly popular with kids, but as someone else mentioned why would they pay for BBM when everyone they know has Twitter or FB for free.
    1, Because its included in the data package ?

And 3, I use twitter for work and wouldn't want to chat over it and facebook....well !
    07-12-12 11:51 AM

Everything iMessage is is just a rip off of BBM honestly. Can it bring people together in a secure sense? Over 3G the data for sending files, music, movies and locations don't get counted in but "free" is a weird word to use, because let's face it we pay for the phones to work. With that said in paying for my data, Blackberry compresses it, pushes it to my phone real time, and not only brings me and others "together" but it also saves me money. Can Apple claim that?

For instance:

BlackBerry Social Messaging Data Package
    Data Package Only $10 per month - New 2-YR ACTIVATION PLAN & DATA PAK REQ'
    D
    WITH THE SOCIAL DATA
    PACKAGE, YOU'LL GET:

1. Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter
    2. BlackBerry Messenger�, AOL Instant Messenger, Google Talk, Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Live

This bundled with a voice plan saves tons of money but still allows for messaging and communication BBM allows Blackberry to offer more to their users.

iMessage may be simple and nice to use, but when I PAY for all my data, I like the fact that BBM has so many customization features/options and isn't as skinned down like iMessage. I can control MY experience, the one I pay to have with my money, monthly. But that comes down to why I'm on #Team Blackberry and left the iPhone camp
    07-12-12 12:00 PM
    Here is where I get lost. This comment was made by Mr Heins during his presentation
    at the AGM and I am struggling to understand what this even means.

BBM as a tool with an enhanced feature set I can see. As a "platform" seems
    a bridge too far.

IF I was in charge of BBM at RIM this is HOW I'd make it a Platform

- API's for Apps built ontop of BBM to integrate, think of a game that acts within your chat window, or a white board within your chat window like the days of netmeeting on MSN
    - Expand the BBM infrastructure to tie into a Server component for BBM connectivity, think a Website operator buying a BBM server, which allows them to broadcast BBM messages to users who register, to use BBM Pins for logins on the site, or special access, having a server that can manage that would be far more useful than a single BlackBerry device,
    - I'd include a Intranet component for BES, that is tied to BBM allowing for secured access to an intranet site from your BES controlled BlackBerry discussions joined as BBM groups, groups pushed to your device as invites like calendar invites are now. it would be the communications platform inside an organization.
    07-12-12 12:01 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD