the number of trays and all trays by themselves should be fully customizable.. the way it's set up right now is annoying and inconvenient.. other than that, i like the idea..
    12-12-10 07:20 AM
    the number of trays and all trays by themselves should be fully customizable.. the way it's set up right now is annoying and inconvenient.. other than that, i like the idea..
    I'd prefer it if you could use trays for things other than applications.
    Such as specific files, browser bookmarks, contacts, etc.
    QNX could possibly allow for a plugin architecture, so you can download tray applications! (not sure how useful those would be, but we can see)
    Last edited by grahamf; 12-12-10 at 12:26 PM.
    12-12-10 12:22 PM
    Tired of it. Trays are fine. You don't like em, use a theme (once available). It's not buttugly either. You don't like it, it's all. I love it, so much I made my os5 phone look like it. Chill it down, or should I open 500 threads on how much I like em. Sheesh!
    12-13-10 11:00 AM
    I covered the camera lens and snapped a pic. Applied the black out as my background. Makes the stock theme a little classier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-10 04:02 PM
    I think the trays would make more sense without folders. It is redundant to have a Downloads folder in the All tray, and a Downloads tray that shows the same thing. I can't wait until custom themes are available!
    12-17-10 10:02 AM
    I really like the trays. Its actually one of the things I like most about os6. I have lots of icons and have them all in folders. Since I use media a lot having a media tray allows me to free up space for a folder for something else on the all screen

12-19-10 10:33 AM
    Over the last few days I've come to somewhat like the trays - except for the recent and downloaded tabs, wish I could get rid of those.
    What the OS Should do is make each folder into a tab, that would be nice IMO.
    12-19-10 02:03 PM
    Over the last few days I've come to somewhat like the trays - except for the recent and downloaded tabs, wish I could get rid of those.
    What the OS Should do is make each folder into a tab, that would be nice IMO.
    I will agree with ya on that bro but besides that I just want a completely blank theme now and I will be all gravy.

Thnx, �Tripster�

12-20-10 03:41 AM
    Hi folks,

You may already know this, but........

I too dislike the application trays is OS6, so I messed around and found there is a way to disable them and have a clean screen. From the home screen: Blackberry/Menu key-Options-Number of Icon Rows- select No Icons. This removes all of the trays and eliminates the sideways scrolling altogether.

To access all of your apps, simply swipe the track-pad or track-ball in a downward motion and all the apps pop up. To close the apps, simply use the back button.

With the Messages shortcut near the top of the standard OS6 home screen, I don't need to access much else, but I do use Quick Launch to give me; Device Info, Bluetooth Toggle, and Sirius/XM Radio.

I also have my dialing from home screen disabled: Blackberry/Menu-Options-Launch by Typing-Application Shortcuts (instead of Universal Search). This gives you the standard application shortcuts to open Contacts, Messages, BBM, Calendar, etc. with one press of the corresponding key.

To dial a call quickly, simply touch the letter "P" of the green send/answer key and start dialing or typing the name of the contact you wish to dial.

I hope this helps some of you - I know I really like this configuration with OS6, as it makes the BB very clean and professional, which I find in keeping with a business-centric device.

Hoppy
    Thx for this tip. It's great. I've always hated the trays. Some users like them so OS6 should simply have an option to lock them as others have suggested.

I too use Quick Launch. And I like the way now that I turned off the rows, it's freed up the real estate and a quick swipe still opens the icons for viewing. Still has a small up arrow too at the bottom which opens the all icons tray.

Before, every time I picked up the BB the dumb trays moved all over the place. The design is a total waste of time on a device that's supposed to be designed for saving time

Thx again.
    Last edited by expidia; 12-21-10 at 09:34 PM.
    12-21-10 09:19 PM
    But without the trays...its just OS 5 with a web browser!! /sarcasm

I made a similar thread a while back...one neat little hint is to get out of the tray that you don't want to be in and go right to the all tray, just hit the red hang up button.
    Courtesy of: http://forums.crackberry.com/f217/di...6/#post5736839
    12-23-10 11:08 AM
    I propose a redesign of the trays.
    you can choose to enable or disable that standard trays, you can create your own and use smart trays, AND you can make "application trays" (eg the contacts tray would hold all your contacts, browser trays can hoild history and bookmarks, messages tray can show all of your emails, SMS, MMS, BBHM, etc, etc)
    x2, i was looking to see if there were settings for this.
    12-23-10 06:16 PM

disappointment... I've been digging through threads for an eternity to see how to disable the damn things!
    Downloads, Frequent & Favorites need to go bye-bye
    12-30-10 07:06 PM
    For the last week or so I've been getting used to the trays. I'm actually starting to like them a bit more. You can also go to options from the homescreen and change the icon setting to none, then leave any tray you want on the homescreen.
    12-30-10 08:59 PM
    I like the trays, however the option to rename them would be nice.
    12-30-10 09:54 PM
    I like the trays, however the option to rename them would be nice.
    Having an option to rename or remove a tray would be nice.
    12-30-10 10:49 PM
    I HATE TRAYS, AND WHEN I CANNOT REMOVE OR CUSTOMIZE THEM FEEL LIKE USING AN APPLE PRODUCT !!!
    thru "Quick Launch" and quick access buttons I can start every appt in a sec and trays just make it confusing!!!
    and where is my favorite "Today" theme with all my calendar entries??? That makes me miss OS5, shame!!!
    01-03-11 09:07 PM
    But without the trays...its just OS 5 with a web browser!! /sarcasm
    I think that is a VERY good idea.

What RIM were thinking of when they put in all those USELESS trays, I really do not know. It seems to me to be a prime example of "because we can".
    01-28-11 06:14 PM
    any solution for this yet?
    04-05-11 07:16 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't think there will be much of a solution for actually removing the trays beyond installing a theme which doesn't have them. It's disappointing, since RIM could have easily made both camps happy by giving an option to turn them on or off.

04-05-11 08:12 PM
    OS 6.1 has the lockable tray feature, it will be good to have the choice!
    04-06-11 08:08 PM
    There is a theme from blackberryempire.com called Clean OS5 theme for OS6 97xx and 9650
    It removes the trays...this works for me.
    04-17-11 08:01 PM
    I dislike them mainly because they're tricky to navigate with a trackpad. It's too easy to move trays when you didn't mean to, and too difficult to get back once you do.

There needs to be some sort of easy, unique gesture to move amoungst trays that you can't do accidentally.

Do touch screen BBs allow you to move from tray to tray with one swipe on that bar of tray names? I suspect the new layout is meant more for touch devices.

Incidentally, it seems any "Custom" theme done with Theme Builder 6 creates a tray-less theme.
    04-22-11 08:24 PM
    I like trays, I like folders. I just wouldn't mind be able to setup what I want in each tray and the name of the tray.

Unlike the playbook which uses these to a certain extent, it's much easier to access them. It'd be nice to have a quick way to access these too - Keyboard shortcut or something or something visual for touchscreen users.

It looks nice scrolling side to side but I wish I could just skip all that scrolling and get to it straight away. Recent folder is the most annoying - downloaded tab is fine with me though.
    04-24-11 08:47 AM
    One more vote for NO trays. I'm always ending up where I don't want to be!

Like some have suggested, at least make it so you can lock it.
    04-25-11 12:17 PM
    yup same here these dumb trays sould be customizable....
    04-26-11 05:58 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD