This has come up several times and here's an easy way to do it.

1. Install the OS6 release you are going to OR ALREADY HAVE installed on your phone.
    2. Install any old OS5 release on your PC.
    3. Go to the Java folder of the OS5 release (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700AllLang_v5.0.0.979_P5.1.0.177\Java) and find the file net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod.
    4. Copy net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod to the Java folder of the OS6 release.
    5. Uninstall the OS5 release so that you do not accidentally downgrade.
    6. Connect your phone to the PC and run Desktop Manager.
    The ringtone file will now be copied to your phone and you will have access to OS5 ringtones.

You can also achieve the same thing by using CrackUtil or BBSAK to copy net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod to your phone.
    Laura Knotek and mistax like this.
    11-07-10 04:41 PM
    11-07-10 05:04 PM
    Thank you, I read both those threads prior to writing my own which is far, far simpler to implement.

Additionally some of the links mentioned in the earlier links either did not work or, required a registration login.

This was why I suggested using a readily available source for the required file.
    11-07-10 06:13 PM
    Nice I was considering the COD swap for ringtones, but thought that maybe the SFI would miss read it or come up with an error of some sort. Thanks for doing the leg work on this Pete6, I've found the ten or so OS6 ringtones they give us seem to be even a bit quieter, which also irritates me.
    11-07-10 06:19 PM
    Thank you, I read both those threads prior to writing my own which is far, far simpler to implement.

Additionally some of the links mentioned in the earlier links either did not work or, required a registration login.

This was why I suggested using a readily available source for the required file.
    Just verified that all the links are working fine. Perhaps something is wrong with your internet connection.

It does not seem easier to me to download a file that is more than 50x larger and install it, then find the .cods and swap them but it is certainly a feasible method.
    11-07-10 08:51 PM
    Yeah, links work but the downloads don't

Pete was right.

Most ppl have an OS from the last leak on there PC so its easy peasy to install it.

I think there ar those that know like Pete and those that think they know.
    11-08-10 07:32 AM
    Yeah, links work but the downloads don't

Pete was right.

Most ppl have an OS from the last leak on there PC so its easy peasy to install it.

I think there ar those that know like Pete and those that think they know.
    Sorry, but which download doesn't work? I just tested them all.

The MultiUpload links give you 7 different download options - I see that a few of them don't work but...maybe you just tried one and gave up? Just wondering so I can fix it.
    11-08-10 08:29 AM
    Jefreii your method is much simpler, anyone wanting to do this method instead must be out of thei minds
    11-10-10 03:16 PM
    connected to desktop manager and nothing happened. still got just the os 6 ringtones HELP
    11-11-10 05:19 PM
    connected to desktop manager and nothing happened. still got just the os 6 ringtones HELP
    Try this instead:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/how...es-os6-530509/
    11-11-10 06:06 PM
    This has come up several times and here's an easy way to do it.

1. Install the OS6 release you are going to OR ALREADY HAVE installed on your phone.
    2. Install any old OS5 release on your PC.
    3. Go to the Java folder of the OS5 release (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700AllLang_v5.0.0.979_P5.1.0.177\Java) and find the file net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod.
    4. Copy net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod to the Java folder of the OS6 release.
    5. Uninstall the OS5 release so that you do not accidentally downgrade.
    6. Connect your phone to the PC and run Desktop Manager.
    The ringtone file will now be copied to your phone and you will have access to OS5 ringtones.

You can also achieve the same thing by using CrackUtil or BBSAK to copy net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod to your phone.

Pete, thanks for posting. For some reason, this did not work for me. i followed every step but desktop manager never copied the cod file. I then used bbsak to manually copy the file and it worked.
    11-23-10 02:32 AM
    Pete, thanks for posting. For some reason, this did not work for me. i followed every step but desktop manager never copied the cod file. I then used bbsak to manually copy the file and it worked.
    The Desktop Manager will never install the "net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod " file as its not specified within the "blackberry.alx".

It will only work via the BBSAK method or as "jeffreii" mentioned just copy the old OS5 ringtones onto your SDCard.
    11-23-10 03:00 AM
    The finishing touch for this procedure would be for someone, who is still running OS5 with the default sound scheme, to go through and list the default sounds for each event.

This would be a bit of work but would help out the community a great deal.

The typical response usually is "just listen to them and guess".

Having the actual list of sound files, much better than guessing.

Thank you.
    11-23-10 05:50 AM
    The Desktop Manager will never install the "net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod " file as its not specified within the "blackberry.alx".

It will only work via the BBSAK method or as "jeffreii" mentioned just copy the old OS5 ringtones onto your SDCard.
    True, but net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_c.cod is...

I'll have to try it tomorrow, but since I already edit my alx files to suit my taste, why not edit blackberry.alx...?

Edit: I must need glasses It wasn't in there either, but it is now...
    Last edited by hytran; 11-24-10 at 11:47 AM.
    11-23-10 09:42 PM
    Thanks a lot, great tip

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 04:38 AM
    How do i get the default cingular/at&t ringtone?
    11-30-10 02:05 PM
    I can't imagine why a new OS would strip back the most usable ringtones from OS5 to OS6.

I found this and it worked, OTA, no log in...

http - forward slash - forward slash crackberry.com/get-os5-ringtones-back-your-os6-blackberry

(I can't post links yet)

I use about 5 tones, so now I have about 45 too many.

Glad to have the old standards back!

String
    11-30-11 09:38 PM
    Reverting to OS5 Ringtones in OS6 software from your computer.
    Make sure you have both OS5 and OS6 software installed on your computer. If not go to your phone provider and download and install them on your computer. You need the correct versions for your phone from your own provider. The links for your provider anywhere in the world are here.http://us.blackberry.com/support/dow...load_sites.jsp Have the Desktop 7.0 Manager installed as well. On your computer right click "Start" and left click "explore", Go to Program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/9700xxxx_v5.0.0.344.xxxx /java. Note the "v5". This is your OS5 software. This file will be named whatever model your phone, software version and country is and will be similar to the file above for a 9700 phone. Click the Java file and locate "net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod " or similar and copy it. Click on program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/9700xxxx_v6.0.0.706.xxxx /java. Note the "v6". This is your OS6 software. This file will be named whatever model your phone, software version and country is and will be similar to the file above for a 9700 phone. Click the java file and Paste "net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_480x360_03_b.cod " or similar into the OS6 java file. You will now have two ringtone files in your OS6 java file. These files are different. Version OS5 ringtone file is called "medialoader" whilst version OS6 ringtone file is called "MediaOTA" but they have the same file extension .cod Only the file named "mediaOTA" will work in the version OS6 software so you will have to rename your OS5 ringtones file to the OS6 ringtones file name. You can't have two files with the same name so rename your version OS6 ringtone file first with a space or something inserted but make sure your version OS5 ringtone file is renamed EXACTLY the same as your version OS6 ringtone file WAS originally. Then delete your old Version OS6 ringtone file from your OS6 software. Plug your Blackberry into desktop manager go to "device" and wait for "update" to appear. You might be told there are no updates available. Don't insert your email address for newer versions, instead go to "view other versions" otherwise you are likely to get your OS6 ringtones installed. You will be given a number of options. Click on "details" on each until you see "Local installation of BlackBerry" version and update with that version. Any others will take you back to the original OS6 ringtones. Note, if you disconnect from the internet first you may only see your "local installation OS6 software" available to you. That is good as that is what has your modified OS5 ringtones. Update it. Similarly if you use Blackberry Apps Plug in and install a new App later, when you use the desktop software to update your Blackberry it will reinstall your old OS6 ringtones. You will need to go through this process of changing back to your OS5 ringtones each time you update your software to OS6 newer versions from the internet.
    Last edited by Rocket10; 06-25-12 at 10:43 AM.
    06-21-12 11:50 PM
    ...or simply install the OS5 ringtones directly from your browser
    http://mobile.blackberry.com/resourc...0x360_03_b.jad

Sent from my  Bold
    06-25-12 05:55 PM
    I have the ringtones for OS5 till OS7, to those who want can pm me for link.
    08-10-12 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD