I'd like to get into installing hybrid os's, but cannot afford to screw it up and possibly brick my Bold. I've read the tutorials, but it seems a bit daunting. even with the detailed instructions, questions come up that give me pause.

SO, is there anybody in or around Gainesville that would like to do lunch (on me!), talk Blackberry's and give me a lesson on installing hybrids? I'll bring my laptop and you bring an appetite!
    04-12-12 09:17 AM
    I'd like to get into installing hybrid os's, but cannot afford to screw it up and possibly brick my Bold. I've read the tutorials, but it seems a bit daunting. even with the detailed instructions, questions come up that give me pause.

SO, is there anybody in or around Gainesville that would like to do lunch (on me!), talk Blackberry's and give me a lesson on installing hybrids? I'll bring my laptop and you bring an appetite!
    Sorry, not in FLA.

Let us know your questions, post them here. There are many people here that will give you advice.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-13-12 07:56 AM
    Pending my ability to line up travel to BlackBerry World, I might be in Orlando in a couple of weeks. LOL. Aside from that, I wrote a brief tutorial and I'm willing to answer questions posted here.
    04-14-12 03:40 PM
    Pending my ability to line up travel to BlackBerry World, I might be in Orlando in a couple of weeks. LOL. Aside from that, I wrote a brief tutorial and I'm willing to answer questions posted here.
    Thanks for writing. My Bold is my lifeline and I'd feel so much better sitting with somebody with experience who can walk me through hands-on. The possibility of bricking my best friend scares me to death!
    04-14-12 03:53 PM
    Thanks for writing. My Bold is my lifeline and I'd feel so much better sitting with somebody with experience who can walk me through hands-on. The possibility of bricking my best friend scares me to death!
    Well, I would recommend using a stable hybrid build for sure - you can usually tell from thread comments whether a particular build is buggy. Most go through a fair amount of testing before they're released.

Quite honestly, the only likely cause for bricking a device is over-aggressive shrinking. But with the utilities that are around now it is far less likely to happen at all. I recall in my early days of shrinking (did it all by hand then) I mistakenly removed an important file that was buried in the midst of a list of unimportant ones. Even then, I was able to boot and have a usable device....I just had to reload that one file to get a fully functioning BlackBerry back.

I completely understand your trepidation. When I first started tinkering I was always afraid of the worst-case scenario. After a while, though, loading a new OS (hybrid or otherwise) becomes a lot less stressful.
    04-14-12 04:00 PM
    Well, I only recently learned how to install leaked os's using the DM and I've been a dedicated BB user for 5 years! Thanks for the encouragement and willingness to help. I'll message you if I ever feel like giving it a go on my own.
    04-14-12 04:23 PM
    I would suggest that you don't use a shrinking tool your first time or two. One less thing to worry about.
    04-14-12 07:45 PM
    I would suggest that you don't use a shrinking tool your first time or two. One less thing to worry about.
    Nope, no shrinking. There was a recent osbb blog on a hybrid 9930. If I could just learn how to install it.....
    04-14-12 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD