Hey all, I'd say I'm usually pretty good with computers and phones and all things technological and at the moment I'm installing the new software for my Curve (not 6 of course) .... I ran the 'Application Loader' and I'm currently on task 3 of 12. It says I've downloaded modules 205 of 907.... this has been going for about an hour now, possibly longer! Am I in the process of destroying my Blackberry lol? HELP PLEASE xx
    08-09-10 10:00 AM
    You do not provide us with important info, such as what version you have donwloaded (your carrier�s official version, leaked version), if you are using a PC or MAC.

So, let me try and help, in spite of these shortcomings.
    • You can only do an OS upgrade using a PC (no MAC).
    • Download to your PC the OS file, install in your PC.
    • If you are using an OS that does NOT correspond to your carrier go to the following folder and delete de vendor.xml file (/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Apploader.
    • Be sure to be logged in as an Admin (in your PC I mean).
    • Plug in your BB device via USB cable
    • Run Apploader from the same folder.
    • Don�t open DM

That should do it!!
    08-09-10 10:06 AM
    Ok I had my BB plugged in transferring pictures and what not and then went to the BB website to update my Blackberry ... I'm currently on 4.6 and updating to 5.0 ... when I clicked update all those little boxes were coming and going and then it said disconnect blackberry before so I did it ran the Application loader because I didn't previously have it installed and started going. Do you have ANY idea why it's taking so long? I mean surely it shouldn't be an hour??? Should I just click cancel? X
    08-09-10 10:13 AM
    Mmmm... cancelling an instalation could brick your device (you can always "unbrick it" afterwards.)

Usually an upgrade can take up to 30 minutes...

I recommend upgrading the phone using the steps I provided before. Go to your carrier�s website and download the OS to your PC.

When upgrading from 4.6 to 5.x I recommend wiping the device (it�s one of the options when running the apploader). Do a backup with DM before doing this.

The only way to know is disconnecting the device from the PC, and doing a battery pull and see if the phone boots. If it doesn�t, do a search in CB for a solution (check the possible error message that may appear in your screen).

Don�t worry, BB devices are very very difficult to ruin because of a bad OS upgrade!!

Good luck!
    08-09-10 10:23 AM
    Thank you for being so helpful! However, since I'm a third of the way through these modules...should I just wait a couple of hours for it to finish? I'm afraid that I'm not knowledgable enough with the BB operating system and how everything works and thus it may be advisable for me to just leave the stupid thing for now lol? It can't break from a LONG 5 hour or whatever upgrade can it? X
    08-09-10 10:28 AM
    Mmmm... cancelling an instalation could brick your device (you can always "unbrick it" afterwards.)

Usually an upgrade can take up to 30 minutes...

I recommend upgrading the phone using the steps I provided before. Go to your carrier�s website and download the OS to your PC.

When upgrading from 4.6 to 5.x I recommend wiping the device (it�s one of the options when running the apploader). Do a backup with DM before doing this.

The only way to know is disconnecting the device from the PC, and doing a battery pull and see if the phone boots. If it doesn�t, do a search in CB for a solution (check the possible error message that may appear in your screen).

Don�t worry, BB devices are very very difficult to ruin because of a bad OS upgrade!!

Good luck!

HELP! Internet died and now it's stopped working. Have clicked cancel and nothing is happening??
    08-09-10 10:50 AM
    Used windows task manager to stop the program. Blackberry disconnected now and it's not working properly. What can I do now to fix it?
    08-09-10 10:52 AM
    Do a battery pull of the device.. and see if it boots.

No other solution now. If it does boot, use the steps a described in my first post.

Even if it does not boot properly the important thing here is that when you run Apploader (after installing the OS in your PC that is) recognizes the device.

Try NOT to do an OTA upgrade... donwload the whole OS file from the following page (select your carrier and choose the latest version available) BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    Last edited by scouts36; 08-09-10 at 11:59 AM.
    08-09-10 11:56 AM
    You can also follow http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry that guide and it will help get you going again.
    08-10-10 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD