What's the difference?
    01-06-10 06:44 AM
    Nothing OS = Firmware.

just like saying Mall or Shopping Center.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 09:39 AM
    Nothing OS = Firmware.

just like saying Mall or Shopping Center.
    This is way wrong.

Firmware = the code that controls the function of the hardware, i.e. the buttons
    on a remote, the scrolling on an MP3 player, etc...

Operating System (OS) = controls the interaction and interface between the
    user, the device and the applications, i.e. Windows, Linux, , OS X, etc...

Your mall and shopping center analogy is equally skewed
    01-06-10 11:01 AM
    I have to disagree a little here AG. I think in the case of BBs, often the terms ARE used interchangeably. Yes it IS wrong, but many folks do call the OS, firmware, and carriers treat OS updates similar to firmware updates and that means they don't like to do them! BUT......

Technically you are correct. The BB does have low level firmware that the user will NEVER (if they are smart) mess with. While an OS load can mess up your berry and cause you hours of headaches to fix. I firmware screwup can ruin your device. Folks who want to use their device on a different CDMA carrier, or who wish to remove the carrier branding will need to mess with the firmware, but it can truly brick your device and render it unusable.

Anyways I am moving the thread to OS Discussions
    01-06-10 11:11 AM
    I agree with pkcable. While technically, OS and firmware may be different. We've come to fuse the two words together through misuse over the past couple years on other devices.
    01-06-10 11:36 AM
    I agree with pkcable. While technically, OS and firmware may be different. We've come to fuse the two words together through misuse over the past couple years on other devices.
    Kinda What i was getting at and to keep it simple.... Ken i completely understand that a OS is different that Firmware, but in Mobile Device jargin.... they are inter-twined 9 out of 10 times.

Just like a Shopping Mall is in all honesty different than shopping center... but they they are inter-twined alot.

01-06-10 12:43 PM
    Kinda What i was getting at and to keep it simple.... Ken i completely understand that a OS is different that Firmware, but in Mobile Device jargin.... they are inter-twined 9 out of 10 times.

Ah, you're right. In mobile devices, they are rightfully intertwined 90% of the time. When I said misuse on 'other devices,' I should have said other types of devices. Meaning things other than phones.
    01-06-10 12:46 PM
    I would like @ add a little some thing too...
    I think the firmware for the phones contains the boot code, as well as the security password, because, when the phone is first turned on, it executes the boot code, which is independent of the OS. When one does the "BrickMyPhone" option, it completely wipes the OS, but the boot ROM is still intact, giving one the ability to still be able to connect to the phone, although it is detected as USB pin-unknown, and can be tricky! (must be done while the red light is lit, for the first 10 sec.) However, if one were to mess up while trying to re-flash the boot ROM firmware, the only option then would be to send it back to RIM for a re-furb, I would think! I believe that the USB driver on the phone side, is also contained in that Firmware.

The best thing for a newbie to do is read, read, read about it, and find out what others do, when something doesn't go as expected!
    01-06-10 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD