Hey all. I thought it was about time we start compiling everything we are learning about this o/s in one place. Hopefully that makes it easier for people to find the answers they need.
    If you have any suggestions, please post them and I will update this post.

This is for the 8330 only. It will NOT work with any other device.

BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

Install/re-install guide:
    HOw i did it and works just fine. everything works perfect.
    I downloaded the OS (IF ALLREADY INSTALLED UNINSTALL TRU CONTROL PANEL) also unistall previous OS versions.
    -Install the OS 5.0.0.230
    -DO NOT reboot yet
    -delete Vendor.xml
    -disconnect from internet/or turn ur wireless off
    - Restart computer
    - use shrink a os (on vista run as administrator)
    - on the browse folder search forC:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8330AMEA_v5.0.0.230_P3.5.0.30)
    -Remove everything except application center, event log viewer ,default font, default themes,and bb messanger and Click on Shrink MY OS.(atleast for my sprint phone i deleted everything since i dont need them )
    - MAKE SURE U ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET AT ALL.
    - Open the desktop manager ( i have the 5.0)
    - it will try to give u a message to update CLICK CANCEL
    - click on application loader
    - go to update software
    - wait for the progress to finish and follow the steps and you good to go after probably 30- 40 minutes
    -the first loading will take a WHILEE so dont get frustrated its ok.

i done this process to 3 8330 from sprint and works just perfect not a single error, or uncaught error. everything works browser etc. i tried everything on the phone I LOVING THIS 5.0
    if any question please email me at cjprico gmail.com
    BBM 5.0.0.33 WORKS WITH THIS O/S, as does BBM 4.7
    here is a link for bbm4.7:
    BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - BBM4.7
    Also, bbm 4.7 should come with the o/s. If it didn't download, check app loader to see if it is there. You may have to checkmark it and run app loader.

No browser?
    Click here:
    HOW TO: Browser fix for AT&T on 5.0 OS Using BBSAK

Or try this fix:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/bro...8/#post3727169

Or try this:
    For those who are having browser issues...

I reset my homepage (wiped then re-typed). This solved my issue, not sure if it will be the same for everyone. Hope this helps!
    I got mine to work. I entered the page i wanted as my home screen from the go to field. Once at the page i wanted i went into options > browser configuration > on bottom of the page select use current.
    Annoying zoom magnifying glass in the native browser:
    To get rid of the zoom, while in the browser: menu - options - general properties - default view...change it to COLUMN, then save and exit..

Where did all my file free memory go?

This is a LARGE O/S. The 96Mb of memory in our 8330's can handle it, but there is not much left over. That is why you might need or want to shrink this (remove unwanted apps, Help file, Carrier junk, Sample videos, foreign language support etc.) by using :

Desktop Manager-App Loader-Add Remove Programs.
    Good for light, fast, easy fat trimming. I went from 19Mbs file free on my first install to 36Mbs.

CrackMem, BBSAK, Shrink-a-os :
    These will take out more than Desktop Manager (if you need lots of free space or just want to run lean), and have other functions as well.

CrackMem:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

BBSAK:
    RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][8/18/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.5

Shrink-a-os:
    http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Shrink-A-OS.exe

Themes and games that work:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/852...s5-0-a-325635/

Also, certain Icons (Media, Clock, etc.) are hidden/missing when you dont use one of the stock themes or one that is compatible with this O/S.
    So, you can change the theme, or try this:
    ok about the missing Music icon. its really not missing. click options and go to add folder scroll all the way down and u will see it there. add it up and move all ur media stuff back in there. shoudl be good to go.

Getting an error message while the BB is in it's charging cradle?
    It is some kind of glitch. When you get the error message, hit the back key and let it charge. Apparently it won't LOOK like its charging, but it does..
    This has been confirmed by several people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    GoogleSync installer:
    http://smccloud.com/GoogleSync/GoogleSync.jad
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 10-13-09 at 09:51 PM.
    09-30-09 11:46 PM
    Good stuff, New stuff.

Predictive Text:
    While entering the codes to make the above header centered and bold, after doing it once, every time I hit the symbol key, the cursor was already at the next one I wanted. I like that!

The Status Bar.:
    This is a great feature when you are impatient. It's a horizontal progress bar that displays during a reboot.

The Clock:
    A nifty little toy, with several versions you can display. Analog, Digital, Flip, LCD. It also has a Stopwatch and Timer feature, as well as alarms, bedside mode.

Flick Scrolling:
    When viewing your pictures, You no longer need the menu button to move to the next picture. Just scroll the Trackball left or right.

Media Player:
    When listening to songs, The song title, artist, album and genre are displayed on screen, and the song title (sometimes?) scrolls across the screen.

Third Party Apps

For anyone thinking about upgrading, and wondering what apps are compatible, heres an unofficial list I made after going through several hundred posts:

No complaints, works for everyone...

Anagram
    AutoLock
    Autostandby
    BBLight
    BBToday
    BBWeather 0.84
    BerryaCode
    BerryAddon
    berrybuzz!
    Beyond411
    BIGTINCAN BUXXME 1.3.1.0
    Blackstar
    Bluff My Call
    Bolt Browser
    BRIO CALORIE TRACKER 1.6
    CaptureIt
    Crackberry Launcher
    Documents To Go
    Facebook 1.6
    FLASHLIGHT
    FLIXSTER MOVIES
    FML
    Force Radio On
    FREETIPS
    g-mail
    g-talk
    Google Maps
    iheartradio
    Jabplite
    Jabpfile
    Ka-Boom!
    Ka-Glom-Free
    MediaFly
    Mobile Banking
    My Verizon
    Navita
    NOGAGO
    Opera Mini 4.2
    PACMAN
    Pandora
    Peek
    Quick Pull-Free (only ONE person said this works)
    Score Moblie
    Slacker Radio
    SpeedTest
    Social Scope
    Soonr
    SportsIllustrated
    Uber Twitter
    Weather Eye
    World Clock
    You Mail

Mixed reports from members...

Poynt
    QuickLaunch
    Quick Pull-PRO (not sure about those who said it works)
    Vlingo

Doesn't seem to work for anyone...

MLB.com
    MobileIM
    SoftReset
    Telmap
    Viigo

Some hybrid O/S's

Not much changed from .230 to .238, but if the file was a different size i included it in this hybrid.

Once you running this hybrid, you will basicly be running .238 (minus the radio file)

In the download I've included 4 .alx files (and their cod's) for games that are only included on the 8530 but they work on our 8330 and the official Precision Zen theme from the 8530 (if you dont want the precision theme, dont use my blackberry alx)(for more info on this visit - http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/852...s5-0-a-325635/ )

Those games will show up in apploader and you can choose to install them or not. The theme is in the "load with bbsak" folder - after its loaded you can delete all the other themes on your device.

Place the ALX files in the folder that contains the java folder (with all the other alx files)

install over the 5.0.0.230 OS for the 8330.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

note: help screen and about screen wont show up as .238, but its there.

5.0.0.230/238 Hybrid v2 Entire OS Folder with only 10 .230 files by JustinAdams -

If you haven't installed this version of the hybrid yet, here is the entire OS folder meaning all you have to do download, copy the entire folder, and paste it over your current OS folder.

Additional modifications by me:

• Bluetooth semi-fix - .190 version of Voice Activation Dialing cods. This will give you full voice audio to both headsets and speakerphones, but not media audio (media player, etc) when streaming via bluetooth.
    • Shrunk down to 39.5MB (do not ask me what I removed because I honestly dont remember everything.) but it was nothing that means anything to most of us addicts
    • Only includes one theme, which is the nice Precision theme that makes the OS play even nicer. All dimension themes have been deleted.
    • All games and docs to go removed.

***if you want games, docs to go, default themes, etc, this is so not for you.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/umymmz....5.0.30_V2.zip

If you want to download or ask questions, here is the thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/833...hybrid-327032/
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 10-04-09 at 10:20 PM.
    09-30-09 11:47 PM
    4 Outstanding Issues!

Has anyone found a fix for BB Maps, AppWorld or Bluetooth?

BB Maps:
    Various reports of no dashboard, no maps, unable to connect to satellites.

AppWorld:
    (I tried this myself) after downloading the latest launcher, V. 1.1.0.119, when you try to run it the an error msg appears...
    "Unable to connect to server, please verify your network connection and try again".
    So, I went to Manage Connections, ran diagnostics and tried again. Rcvd the same error msg. I suspect this won't be fixed until O/S5.0 is rolled out officially.

Bluetooth:
    Reports of being able to connect to devices, but no audio in earpiece.

Network Symbol:
    Can anyone confirm that the 3G or 1XEV displayed on the homescreen is determined by your carriers network? (More specifically, their marketing dept. Lol) It seems to be for verizon branded devices only so far.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 10-04-09 at 10:29 PM.
    09-30-09 11:48 PM
    BB Maps worked fine for me on Telus
    But I have also added the port and IP through QPST.

Browser is just too slow 3-5 mins just to load Crackberry.com
    09-30-09 11:57 PM
    is anyone else having trouble with the bluetooth? I can get a connection but it doesn't transmit the audio... any fix for this? thanks!
    10-01-09 12:27 AM
    is anyone else having trouble with the bluetooth? I can get a connection but it doesn't transmit the audio... any fix for this? thanks!
    Yes, mscooley and I are having this exact problem with different devices. We are trying to find a fix for this by swapping in some cod files from another OS.

I am also having the BB Maps problem where satellites cannot be acquired and locked on.

I also think the browser is really slow.

Last edited by xliderider; 10-01-09 at 12:48 AM.
    10-01-09 12:44 AM
    it's good to know I'm not alone with this issue, but too bad to be stuck with it... i use the bluetooth all the time when I drive, I can get fined if I don't use a handsfree device... but I think I prefer having this Os (my curve looks awesome this way) and try not to be catched on the phone... if anyone solves this pleaseee be kind to share it please!!
    10-01-09 01:00 AM
    my bluetooth works fine...every time a call comes in it just pops up n tells me its transferred to bluetooth n asks if i want to transfer back to handset
    10-01-09 01:40 AM
    my bluetooth works fine...every time a call comes in it just pops up n tells me its transferred to bluetooth n asks if i want to transfer back to handset
    Did you shrink your OS or delete anything before loading to your BB?

If you did, what did you remove? Languages +?

10-01-09 01:45 AM
    has anyone tried installing bbmaps 4.7?
    10-01-09 01:49 AM
    That sounds like a good idea. Why not try it? I would, but I'm still at work for 2 more hours.

10-01-09 02:02 AM
    That sounds like a good idea. Why not try it? I would, but I'm still at work for 2 more hours.

i'm having a hard time finding a link lol. i'm kind of tired though it's almost 4am here. i guess i'll give it a try tommorrow
    10-01-09 02:30 AM
    Only problems I'm having so far is with App World. Haven't tried bluetooth yet. Also lower memory than I'd like but I'll shrink my OS later when I get home from work. Browser seems fine on my end.

10-01-09 09:41 AM
    mine installed when i installed os 5.0 but i hate it

the new msg alert won't go away until i go to the contacts list then back into the chat.

i hope a BBM 5.0 for os 5.0 comes out soon
    10-01-09 09:50 AM
    BB Maps worked for me right after 5.0 install. I'm on Bell Mobility, don't know if that matters.

I understand that AppWorld had gotten an update that fixed the problem with 5.0
    10-01-09 10:24 AM
    I am running the .230 non-hybrid on my Sprint 8330. I downloaded the 1.1.0.19 App World, and it is still giving me the same error as .15 and .17. Haven't tried BBMaps, I don't use it.

I can verify that the following apps work just fine:

Google Maps
    iheartradio
    AutoLock
    Ubertwitter
    Facebook v1.6
    BBWeather 0.84
    Blackstar
    Beyond411
    Quickpull(which some claim does not work)

I did not shrink the OS before installing, memory is a tad bit low, but I don't see a leak, and my berry doesn't seem sluggish. I did do a wipe before installation

Themes created with Plazmic CDK for the 8300 series do work, but not well, I have built a theme for the 8500 series, and it works great, it's precision too...woohoo, no more dimension theme for me.

I have played with this pretty extensively since yesterday afternoon, and have not encountered any problems, with the exception of App world
    10-01-09 12:07 PM
    Here's what I've found after a few days that I haven't seen mentioned, but probably just missed somewhere.

Camera and photo viewer apps are much faster.
    Photo viewer app uses trackball to scroll through photos (favorite feature of 5.0).

Viigo is a no-go.
    BB Maps opens and works, but GPS "Dashboard" doesn't show up.
    Friendly Verizon radio chirp is present.

Can a 5.0 hybrid use a 4.5.0.131 radio? That's the most recent chirp free radio file I've used.
    10-01-09 12:27 PM
    Viigo 3.1.489 works fine with the 230-238 hybrid on my 8330.
    10-01-09 01:35 PM
    One problem I'm having is in Options-Sms Text-Display Name is no matter what I set it to upon a reboot it returns to the default of Me, a minor issue but one I hope they resolve in a future build. I'm on the 230-238 hybrid btw.
    10-01-09 01:47 PM
    Thanks for the info about Viigo, I'll try upgrading. Right now I have 3.1.454-news only, and I'm also just on straight 5.0.0.230...

One other PITA thing. Incoming messages no longer automatically open when removing the phone from the holster. Is that fixed in the hybrid?
    10-01-09 02:15 PM
    Great thread thanks for all your work

10-01-09 02:25 PM
    One other PITA thing. Incoming messages no longer automatically open when removing the phone from the holster. Is that fixed in the hybrid?
    I just ran across that setting under Mail > Options > General Options.
    10-01-09 02:47 PM
    This is a great thread - thank you!

I tried to install the HTC Hero theme, but it won't show under Themes, only Apps. Some themes show under Themes, others under Apps. I wonder what the difference is? I've restarted my BB twice.
    10-01-09 02:52 PM
    One problem I'm having is in Options-Sms Text-Display Name is no matter what I set it to upon a reboot it returns to the default of Me, a minor issue but one I hope they resolve in a future build. I'm on the 230-238 hybrid btw.
    yeah, i noticed that lol. hopefully that gets fixed.
    10-01-09 02:53 PM
    saved for future.. thax
    10-01-09 03:14 PM
167 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD