06-22-15 09:46 PM
211 ... 56789
tools
    I purchased "TrackIt: Time Zone Edition." It's a nice app for displaying multiple time zones at once, and it displays what it calls "Local Time" at the top of the screen, but you still have to manually change the time zone to the correct zone in the Date/Time screen on the BlackBerry before the "Local Time" will be correct. I'm not aware of any app that will automatically change time zones on a BlackBerry, but I have not done an exhaustive search. If anybody finds one, please post the name and where you found it here.
    I've joined this conversation late but am I being simple here... why don't you just set the time zone when you make the appointment and then calendar does the math for you. BIG button right below the Start and End times... I can see this being annoying for the person who makes the odd trip out of their home time zone, but as someone who has customers and a head office across 3 time zones, I'm always converting anyway.
    07-29-09 12:00 AM
    You are correct but missing the point of the thread, which addresses users' complaints that the BlackBerry does not automatically change time zones when you travel across time zone boundaries. You have to manually select the correct time zone. Phones without an integrated calendar do this automatically.
    07-29-09 06:53 AM
    As any got the automatic time zone to wo work with 5.0 OS? .140 has the settings but it doesn't seem to work might b a bug.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 07:09 AM
    As any got the automatic time zone to wo work with 5.0 OS? .140 has the settings but it doesn't seem to work might b a bug.

That's news to me. What setting? Where?

07-29-09 07:18 AM
    Go into clock settings there's a spot where u can turn it of or on.. I remember about a month ago there was a blog on CB homepage.

07-29-09 07:35 AM
    any one try this app AutoTimeZoneô - Professional BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store i just bought seems to work clicked on app and say my time was off and click ok to fix and it did. guess will do it cost 4.99$ in cb app store or 9.99$ in bb app world.
    08-19-09 09:29 PM
    my palm treo automatically changed time zones and in the calendar showed in parentheses what time zone appointments were created in. If Palm can do it, Blackberry should be able t do t better.....
    08-20-09 09:01 PM
    Cool post! Thanks for the explination.
    08-22-09 09:21 AM
    Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering why I was having that issue.
    09-01-09 12:16 PM
    Thanks for this, I think that I finally understand it, but would be grateful for a clarification.

I'm traveling from Vancouver to New York for a conference next week. I've input all of my appointments (and there are many) in Outlook 2003, which syncs OTA with my Curve 8310 through BES.

All of the appointments showed up in my BB calendar as PACIFIC TIME. When I manually adjust each appointment to EASTERN TIME, the appointment gets moved back 3 hours, and remains designated "PACIFIC TIME".

If I understand your careful work correctly, Jeff, when I land in NY and adjust my BB to local time, all of my appointments will be moved ahead 3h and I'll be "on time".

Is that correct?
    09-04-09 03:11 PM
    Thanks for this, I think that I finally understand it, but would be grateful for a clarification.

I'm traveling from Vancouver to New York for a conference next week. I've input all of my appointments (and there are many) in Outlook 2003, which syncs OTA with my Curve 8310 through BES.

All of the appointments showed up in my BB calendar as PACIFIC TIME. When I manually adjust each appointment to EASTERN TIME, the appointment gets moved back 3 hours, and remains designated "PACIFIC TIME".

If I understand your careful work correctly, Jeff, when I land in NY and adjust my BB to local time, all of my appointments will be moved ahead 3h and I'll be "on time".

Is that correct?
    I go to the East Coast often and I feel that the easiest way to make appointments in different time zones is this:
    Make appointments for the appropriate time in each time zone but do not change the time zone setting. (i.e. Leave your phone set for your home time zone at all times. Make your Eastern Time Zone appointments for the exact time of the appointment but do not change the time zone for that particular appointment.)
    When you land in NY just manually change the BB Time to the proper time and all is well. The Eastern Time appointments are at the time that you made them and your appointments at home are still at the correct time for when you are back home. When you land back home change the time back to the proper time again.
    Some might disagree with this method, but I find it to be the easiest and most non-confusing way to handle the BB Time Zone issue.
    09-04-09 04:10 PM

Is that correct?
    If you input all your appointments in the correct time and time zone for the location in which they occur, then yes, that's correct. Unfortunately Outlook 2003 doesn't help you with that. By default, it puts all your appointments in the PC's time zone, Pacific in your case, and makes you do the time zone math if you want anything else. Not helpful. Outlook 2007 gives you a Time Zone selector drop down box for each appointment, which is much better. So while you are in your home (Pacific) time zone, you enter an appointment in New York for 3:00 pm EDT. The appointment will be displayed on your BlackBerry as 12:00 pm PDT, because that's the correct time of your appointment in PDT. When you land an New York, do not change your phone's time. Instead, change your time zone to EDT. The appointment will now show as 3:00 pm EDT.
    09-04-09 06:11 PM
    This thread has been very helpful (although I didn't read the entire thread, so maybe this was already posted). However, I think I found an easier alternative. I'm in Atlanta right now. My time zone is set for Arizona. All my appointments were entered for this trip in AZ time. I went into the Time option, left the time zone set for AZ and just changed the hour ahead three hours to reflect Eastern time. Now my phone shows the local time, and the calendar and reminder events are showing up correctly as originally entered. When I get home I'll simply re-sync the time in the BB option under Time/Date and the network and local time will once again show AZ time. No time zone planning required for Outlook or calendar entries. I'm just fooling the internal BB clock to think it's three hours later than actual in AZ. Simple.
    09-10-09 10:12 PM
    Let me see if I understand. You have an appointment for 3:00 PM ET in Atlanta. You entered it as 3:00 PM PT while in Arizona? And then when you arrived in Atlanta, you changed your clock time to compensate for entering the meeting in the wrong time to begin with? It's easier for me just to enter the meeting in the correct time for its location and leave the clock at the correct time. There's no need to introduce deliberate errors to try to make it look like 3:00 PM PT is the same as 3:00 PM ET.

Supposedly RIM is changing the time zone functionality in OS 5.0. It will be interesting to see what they do.
    09-10-09 10:32 PM
    Not sure about setting appt. But with OS 5.0.0. 191 u can set the clock to auto change. It finally works
    Let me see if I understand. You have an appointment for 3:00 PM ET in Atlanta. You entered it as 3:00 PM PT while in Arizona? And then when you arrived in Atlanta, you changed your clock time to compensate for entering the meeting in the wrong time to begin with? It's easier for me just to enter the meeting in the correct time for its location and leave the clock at the correct time. There's no need to introduce deliberate errors to try to make it look like 3:00 PM PT is the same as 3:00 PM ET.

Supposedly RIM is changing the time zone functionality in OS 5.0. It will be interesting to see what they do.
    09-10-09 10:48 PM
    I read the entire post and I understand most of it and I only have one statement for the idiotic handing of time zones by RIM. Ahem.... I bet the IPhone doesn't have this problem. I couldn't find a forum topic on their site about it either....
    10-06-09 11:25 PM
    Under clock setting then select set time there is an option Auto Update Timezone. You can turn it on and it switches for you.
    10-07-09 03:44 AM
    yeah, they finally fixed this in 5.0. I was always annoyed with this myself. And actually, every dumb phone also never had this issue, ha, no need to compare with an iphone when an even better comparison can be made.
    10-07-09 08:37 AM
    You missed the point. "Dumb" phones don't care what time it is because they don't have an integrated calendar. I'm looking forward to 5.0 to see how the "fix" works.

10-07-09 08:54 AM
    thanks Jeff for clear explanations in this thread, spotting the option in Outlook 2007 to set timezone on each appointment was most helpful.

I am a frequent traveller and have appointments often put in my diary by others in other TZ's and often find myself frustrated by the view of my day presented ahead of time by both the BBerry and Outlook. I haven't quite figured out what I really would like it to look like. (I'm certainly not interested in printing a schedule like you - I carry my Bberry for that) I just know the view I have today is not always helpful.

I do think that different colours for appointments set in different TZ's would be useful and ability to set certain days to be viewed in the TZ that I'll be in on that day would be useful, particularly on large shifts, say when I travel to PST from my home GMT.

I am just installing v5 on my Curve so I'm hoping the auto TZ function will work for me on my next trip.
    12-17-09 09:24 AM
    Oh and I wonder if anyone has experienced the following (note I am a BES user and sync OTA not through the DT):

When travelling I often use my bberry tethered by cable to my laptop as an IP modem. (OK a little slow - but it works)

Say I am travelling in CET (+1 hour from my home GMT)

I set my TZ on my bberry, but I don't on my laptop - I've seen it cause too many issues.

When I disconnect my bberry the time is now 2 hours incorrect! It seems to spot that my time is 1 hour ahead and correct it for me, then sees my TZ is different and do that for me as well shifting a 2nd hour! This cost me a meeting once!

I have since discovered the desktop setting (I'd never looked for that since I don't sync on the desktop) so it shouldn't happen again - but in my view this is a nasty defect!
    12-17-09 09:29 AM
    Yes, synching your BlackBerry time to your desktop can cause problems when the desktop isn't set to the correct time zone. It's also unnecessary since setting your BlackBerry time source to Network will keep it correct.
    12-17-09 10:17 AM
    first off, Jeff this is a great post and made things a lot clearer for me. So thank you for that. I am now running OS 5.0 (.238) on my Tour and the auto update time zone feature is working well with all of my stored appointment.

However, I write this as I travel across the country and watch what timezones my Tour tries to switch to. I continue getting Mexican time zones. (Mexico City-Old, Mexico City-New, and Tijuana). While there are no issues today, my concern lies with DST. I could be completely off on this, but to my understanding, DST is not carried over in Mexico, so when it comes time to "Spring Forward, or Fall Back" our time will report incorrectly and consequently our appointments will be off. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for your help!
    12-30-09 12:11 PM
    I haven't heard that problem (Mexican time zones) reported before. Are you by chance traveling near the US / Mexico border? I don't have OS 5.0 yet and I don't know how the auto time zone feature works.
    12-31-09 09:40 AM
    i am traveling near the border, but my thinking is that my phone would be able to recognize which tower I am connected to and then receive the proper time stamp and time zone information.

I've searched over every BB forum i can find and noone seems to know the answer. I just hope we can get this figured out soon. At least before "Spring Forward"
    01-01-10 10:19 AM
211 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD