06-22-15 09:46 PM
211 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Jeff, I follow your reasoning, but for me, it just doesn't track. My Storm is connected to BES, which is connected to Exchange. ALL times in Exchange are stored in GMT and translated on the fly to local time zones, for this very reason. I travel several time zones per week and I always change the BB to the local zone and my meetings are ALWAYS correct. It's the manual changing of the TZ that drives me crazy. I understand that some folks are not tied to Exchange and I fully understand how screwed up that can get, because that was the way it was 10 or more years ago as PDA's became popular. What I don't understand is why RIM doesn't give us the opportunity to choose. It's not that difficult a thing to implement, is it? I licensed AutoTimeZone, but gave it up because I have to manually find the program and run it. Its not automatic, and why have a program loaded that I have to manually invoke when I can already do that. :-)

Thanks for all your great help on the forums...
    Apparently it IS hard to do, since nobody seems to be able to do it. And there's consumer demand for the program. I also bought a Time Zone program that advertised that it automatically updated your time. It does, after you manually select the correct time zone. Some help that is!
    03-04-09 07:24 PM
    it is quite rediculous how many people as this even when they first get there phone and it says they are in some other country
    03-09-09 10:10 AM
    Jeff,

I currently have a Treo and not only does it auto update the time zone, it also offers the time zones to set appointments. I have to change cell phone companies and my Treo, unfortunately, isn't offered at the new company, so I've been researching BB's. I'm an airline pilot and to be honest with you I find to totally irrational that the first thing that I have to do when I land is to turn on my BB and manually adjust the time. I know many fellow pilots who have dumped their BB's because it's just one more thing they have to do that they shouldn't have to do. This is particularly annoying to Flight Attendants who, after landing, have to give the passengers the correct time. As you know, many states have more than one time zone. So I would like to think the brains at RIM would see how annoying it would be to have to try and figure out exactly what TZ you are in when traveling across a state and then to have to pull your phone out and change the time. In some states you could get a ticket for doing that while driving! In this case, the BB device is really no more useful than a basic watch.

Now that the dead horse is beaten even more, let me ask a question.

2. I've been looking at the Curve, Bold, & Storm. Do they atleast show you what the correct time is in the time zone you are in so you can manually change it, or do you have to ask somebody standing near you that doesn't have a BB? Which of the three is quickest to change the time manually?

Thanks
    03-11-09 01:06 AM
    Airman88,
    You are making it harder than it is. You never have to manually adjust the time. You just have to select the correct time zone. Yes, some states do have two time zones, but those zones never change. I'm no pilot, but it seems unlikely that you could fly your plane to an airport where you did not know the time zone in advance.

As for driving, unless you are driving North-South along a time zone boundary, you won't be weaving in and out of two time zones. When you cross the time zone boundary, change the time zone once and you're done with it. And yes, I know I-24 between S. Pittsburg and Chattanooga weaves in and out of Georgia. Changing your time zone for the few minutes you are in Georgia is pointless.

As far as I know, the Curve, Bold, and Storm have identical Date / Time Screens. All show the correct Network time on that screen. That same screen is where you select the correct time zone. Again, you don't have to set the time, just select the correct time zone.

I know it's a long thread, but go back and re-read Post #1. I have several examples there. RIM's solution is far from perfect for everybody, but it works better than you think.
    03-11-09 07:29 AM
    Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I read your opening thread more than once. It sounds like a management decision by RIM due to the "I know better than you end-users do" (I see this all the time in my profession) or a lack of technology in their software & network. Actually, we as airline pilots deal mostly with GMT or Zulu time. The problems lie in dealing with passengers (most don't know what to do with Zulu) & handling personal issues.

In my profession I constantly deal with human factors and how they interface with technology. BB's lack of time accuracy would never fly (sorry for the pun) in the airline world. The issue that bothers us anti-BB TZ concept people is that it JUST doesn't have to be that way. It's extra hoops you have to jump through that you really shouldn't have to. The technology is there (my Treo).

In my world, it is a Huge inconvenience to always know that your "magical" BB may not be giving you accurate info. I'm just used to having immediate, accurate, updated info. Passengers appreciate that. I'd be willing to give it a try to see if it's as annoying as it seems, but I just don't want to waste the money if it doesn't work out. It looks like the bottom line is that the BB is not for me or anyone else who needs accurate updating technology.

Sidebar: It sounds like we share some of the same roads. I currently live near Huntsville, AL and was a resident of Merritt Island, Fl for about three years.

Thanks again for the help
    Last edited by Airman88; 03-11-09 at 08:25 AM.
    03-11-09 08:20 AM
    The "Network Time" value on the Date / Time Setting page does show the local time as transmitted by the cell tower. So it is always right. The BlackBerry clock on the Home Screen won't display that time until you select the correct time zone. But you (and your FA's) can see the local time there.

To me, that makes it more frustrating, because it's simply a programming decision not to give you a choice to see that time. And apparently RIM does not make it available to 3rd party programmers. A least two have tried. I bought a commercial package that claimed to do it, but doesn't.

My home is near Huntsville, AL as well. For the past two years I've commuted between Washington DC, Huntsville, and Cocoa Beach, FL.
    03-11-09 09:02 AM
    Jeff,

I was over at the Verizon store on University today playing with my final selections...Curve, Storm, & Omnia. I was practicing on the Curve to see how long it took me to go in and see network time and change it. I was was getting fairly quick but the whole time I was mumbling under my breath.

I'm soon to be a new Verizon client (I have a farm near Toney with virtually no Sprint service so we have to switch) and was wondering if you'd had a chance to use the Storm as well as the Curve. If so, any preference? One thing on the Storm I noticed is that when you type in portrait mode you are in this suretype? keypad. Do you have an option to go to multi-punch style keypad? I know you can go landscape and get the qwerty pad but most of the time I have to type one-handed (have a rollerboard in the other).

Have you ever tried to watch a video/movie on your BB? If so, how did it work out?

Has there been an extension of the service life of the orbitors? (based on your travels, I assume you work for or very near NASA) It would be great for MSC to get one of them when they retire and stick right next to the Saturn 5!!

Thanks

Jeff B
    Last edited by Airman88; 03-11-09 at 10:48 PM.
    03-11-09 10:41 PM
    I have been reading this whole Time Zone, Update, Appointment thread with much confusion. I don't want to stir anything up but I agree with the people who think BB does this whole appointment and time zone issue wrong. It seems to be over thought.

If I live in eastern zone and make an appointment for a face to face meeting in pacific zone I am going to put the pacific zone time in my calendar because that is the time it will be when I am there. If my phone updated the time as the zones (network) changed all would work perfectly. No math or reconfiguring required. Appointment at 2pm, off plane and phone says current time 1pm, one hour to my appointment. I don't care what time zone I left from. I believe this is what and how most NON BB people believe it should work. Very simple.

The problem comes in when you need to have a phone appointment with someone in another zone. Then it would be necessary for your appointment calculate the time that you need to make the call in order reach your appointment at their correct time. This could be accomplished by a few simple drop down selection boxs and then would calculate the time you need to make the call from your home zone.

Such As:

Call To Zone: [make selection from list]
    Time of Call in To Zone: [make selection from list]
    Call From Zone: [make selection from list]

Time to make call from Home Zone: [ filled in by software]

Just my 2cents worth but I have discussed this with many other users and all agree this could work and be way less cumbersome than BB method.

It seems BB is going after a larger market and they should look at improvements to make the transition to BB easier for the larger market. I am not say get rid of the other method but give people an option and some GOOD INSTRUCTIONS on how to use either.

Thanks
    03-12-09 12:01 PM
    Not to throw a complete wrench in the works... I use Google calendars a ton now, and one of the coolest features is when you type in an appointment it can map out where that appointment is, ie it figures out where in the world you want to be at 2pm according to your calendar. I noticed that when I input an appointment into my Blackberry calendar on my device there was a "location." I just wonder if the solution to make folks happy is in the future the fine folks at RIM take the "location" data a step further so it figures out the timezone for you. So let's say I live in Minneapolis, in the central time zone, and I input a tee time for next week and I enter the data as "Tee Time" and in location "Las Vegas" and the time as 11 am. If they were to take the logic to it's full conclusion that would indicate I have a tee time at 11 am in the Pacific time zone. The calendar could even pop up a question of would you like this in Las Vegas time? Click yes, and it sets the right time in the right place for you, then the thing could adjust times when you change timezones automatically much the way my 1995 Motorola phone did.
    You could even create "shortcuts" within your locations so the machine would know what timezone you are talking about. Let's say I have a noon phone conference in my Minneapolis office, I teach it "office" means Minneapolis, hence the Central time zone. So if I input office into the location it knows I'm talking central time zone. If I have an office in LA and I input LA office into the location it knows I'm talking Pacific, so if I have a 9am meeting and in location I put LA Office into the location, I could teach it LA Office = Pacific. And why not take that a step further by showing that appointment at 9am on my calendar in a different color? Why is it a different color you think as you look at your calendar?? You open it and it tells you this is scheduled outside your current timezone. I get what RIM is trying to do, they just need to take it a few more steps to bring it down to the level that most people think on, and in the process they could make their smart phone as dumb as all the other ones that automatically update the time based on where you are.
    03-12-09 01:12 PM
    ...I'm soon to be a new Verizon client ... and was wondering if you'd had a chance to use the Storm as well as the Curve. If so, any preference? One thing on the Storm I noticed is that when you type in portrait mode you are in this suretype? keypad. Do you have an option to go to multi-punch style keypad? I know you can go landscape and get the qwerty pad but most of the time I have to type one-handed (have a rollerboard in the other).

Have you ever tried to watch a video/movie on your BB? If so, how did it work out?
    I have an 8830, which is slightly different from a Curve. I've never used a Storm, and have no interest in any device that doesn't have a physical QWERTY keyboard. I also don't have any movie-watching experience. Reading the Storm forums might be your best best.
    03-12-09 09:54 PM

If I live in eastern zone and make an appointment for a face to face meeting in pacific zone I am going to put the pacific zone time in my calendar because that is the time it will be when I am there. If my phone updated the time as the zones (network) changed all would work perfectly. No math or reconfiguring required. Appointment at 2pm, off plane and phone says current time 1pm, one hour to my appointment. I don't care what time zone I left from. I believe this is what and how most NON BB people believe it should work. Very simple.

The problem comes in when you need to have a phone appointment with someone in another zone. Then it would be necessary for your appointment calculate the time that you need to make the call in order reach your appointment at their correct time. This could be accomplished by a few simple drop down selection boxs and then would calculate the time you need to make the call from your home zone.

Such As:

Call To Zone: [make selection from list]
    Time of Call in To Zone: [make selection from list]
    Call From Zone: [make selection from list]

Time to make call from Home Zone: [ filled in by software]

Just my 2cents worth but I have discussed this with many other users and all agree this could work and be way less cumbersome than BB method.

It seems BB is going after a larger market and they should look at improvements to make the transition to BB easier for the larger market. I am not say get rid of the other method but give people an option and some GOOD INSTRUCTIONS on how to use either.

Thanks
    Your example for a face-to-face appointment is exactly how it works. You just have to select the time zone manually. Your example of a phone call appointment is overthought on your part. If you want to call LA at 2:00 pm LA time, and you're in NY, just open the BB calendar, create an appointment for 2:00 pm PT, and save it. The appointment will display on your calendar as 5:00 pm ET. Exactly what you want. As to the quality of instructions, I thought mine were pretty good, but if you read them carefully and still came to your conclusions, apparently they aren't!
    03-12-09 10:02 PM
    ... One thing on the Storm I noticed is that when you type in portrait mode you are in this suretype? keypad. Do you have an option to go to multi-punch style keypad? I know you can go landscape and get the qwerty pad but most of the time I have to type one-handed (have a rollerboard in the other).

Have you ever tried to watch a video/movie on your BB? If so, how did it work out? .....
    Jeff,

I have a Storm and can answer these questions. Yes you can change the portrait keyboard to multitap, PLUS with the leaked (and probably the next official) OSs, you can also use a full qwerty (keys are REAL small). I watch movies on it all the time, they look beautiful, the screen is what ultimately sold me on the Storm.

A warning the touch screen "sure press" keyboard DOES take some getting used too, but it's worth the effort. First day I liked it, rest of the first week I HATED it, now I love it!
    03-12-09 10:51 PM
    It may be great to post calendar events in the correct time zone - but who in the world does NOT want the time on their phone to show the correct time without having to change it manually?? The programmer that made that decision must never travel.
    03-20-09 06:07 PM
    It may be great to post calendar events in the correct time zone - but who in the world does NOT want the time on their phone to show the correct time without having to change it manually?? The programmer that made that decision must never travel.
    If you read all the way through, I apologize for restating the obvious, but in case you did not, let me clarify one point. It is not necessary to manually change the time. You have to manually change to the correct time zone. The BlackBerry has the correct time. It just won't display it until you select the correct time zone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 06:17 PM
    We just experienced this "non-glitch" this past weekend and wondered why they didn't change. Now it makes sense (not perfect sense because it still seems complicated, but I understand enough to see why it can't automatically change). I think about it this way....whether you have a $4,000 Rolex watch or a $10 Casio, you still have to reset the time when you cross time zones. So what's the big deal about changing the Berry? Or, like me, if you're not traveling for business, it doesn't matter so much, just adapt. I used to work in a different time zone from where I lived, and I just got used to looking at my watch and subtracting an hour when I was at work.
    03-23-09 08:31 PM
    but for those of us who sync between Outlook (2003, for me) and the BB, it's frustrating. In my mind, if it's not a glitch, it's an option ( auto changing to 'local' time, without effecting calender entries) users should have.

I'm trying to determine if the Palm Pre (assuming Palm survives...) will handle timezone as the 'old' units did ... in which case, I might just make the switch.
    03-28-09 02:01 PM
    Great Information! I was very frustrated when I started using my Blackberry because I travel from time zone to time zone. So.. now I understand.

However, is there an application or screen saver/background/theme (probably using the wrong term) that can display the network time?

Thanks,
    Mike
    04-05-09 11:52 AM
    ... is there an application or screen saver/background/theme (probably using the wrong term) that can display the network time?

Thanks,
    Mike
    I am not aware of any app or theme that can display the network time. If somebody posts one, I'll be glad to learn of it.
    04-05-09 02:29 PM
    Thank you very much. I have been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks. I am a truck driver so it is not as easy for me to change to the correct time zone (since I am not sure exactly where the time changes). So I guess I will just keep it on Eastern Time and figure the difference in my head.
    04-15-09 02:36 PM
    Just change the time zone when you stop. Until then, it won't matter. You know what time you have to deliver your load. That's all that's going to matter while you're driving.
    04-15-09 05:40 PM
    I just realized something I add a calendar remark and set it for eastern. If that's the case then the phone should b smart enough to change timezones.

04-15-09 07:14 PM
    Just a thought, and I know this isn't the place to suggest it, because no one here is a RIM programmer (that I know of), but I don't know where to post it, or if they would even consider it if they did see it so I'm going to rant a bit here

I'd like to see something in between what we have now, and the "never change my appointments" cry that some make. I would like a "Time Zone" setting when creating an appointment called "Local Time" that would allow an appointment set for 5pm to "float" and be 5pm in whatever timezone I am in. For example, I am required to submit time cards daily via email, and have a reminder set daily at 1700 (MST) to remind me at the end of the day to send it (yeah I get busy and forget things like this sometime, that's why i got a "Smart" phone). When I am traveling (in Europe for example), I don't want this alarm going off at 0100, 1 because I'll still be asleep, and 2, my "work day" wont have even started locally yet.

I don't want to leave my time zone as MST and manually adjust my clock setting when I travel, because I do setup conference calls and meetings, etc in the different time zones that I travel, so I use the time zone feature of outlook 07 and the bb calendar app, but would like to set some appointments to "float" to "local time" and remind me at 1700 in whatever time zone I happen to be in to tell me to send my time so I get paid

Again, sorry for the rant, I know this isn't the place for getting these types of changes made, but it helps to get it off my chest, and see others are frustrated as well. I've been wondering why RIM did it the way they did it, and thanks to Jeff for the original post with some suggestions and a very clear explanation of the "time zone issue" as RIM has implemented.
    04-24-09 07:43 PM
    I crossed into a different time zone this week and was really annoyed it didn't change on my bb! This makes perfect sense now!

04-24-09 10:53 PM
    I think a good fix here (I havent read all the posts) would be to give users an option to customize their time settings. For the users who are used to an agnostic calendar they would be allowed to tell their phone to synch with network time, the calendar wouldnt know that they switched time zones.
    For those of us who wish to enter our calendar items with timezone entries we can leave it as is.
    Determining a shift in timezones is trivial as mentioned in the article and there should be a choice to turn this feature on and off easily.
    However, the fix comes with allowing user choice, forcing one option or another is what other phones do, blackberry users love their freedom of choice as we all operate differently!
    04-27-09 11:06 AM

However, is there an application or screen saver/background/theme (probably using the wrong term) that can display the network time?

Thanks,
    Mike
    This was my thought exactly and I went looking for an App that would show network time as an icon (kind of how Weather Eye shows the icon for current weather conditions...). No dice. Is there a place you can request someone make an app?
    05-06-09 09:47 PM
211 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD