Ohhhhhh, you made it click. Wow I feel dumb sometimes. Because if I did 3:10 without accounting for timezones, it would switch to say 1:30 when I landed.

So my other choice would be to make it one appointment running from 12:00 to 5:10 in Eastern, right?
    01-21-09 08:00 PM
    Ohhhhhh, you made it click. Wow I feel dumb sometimes. Because if I did 3:10 without accounting for timezones, it would switch to say 1:30 when I landed.

So my other choice would be to make it one appointment running from 12:00 to 5:10 in Eastern, right?
    Yes, that's an equally correct way to enter it. When you land and change time zones, you'll see one appointment that lasted from 10:10 am MT to 3:10 pm MT.

Don't put yourself down. You got it. This thread was created for that purpose, to help people understand it.
    01-21-09 08:06 PM
    Haha. I really am a smart person, but I hate time zones! I think it's because I'm from Arizona and hated them because we didn't have DST and everyone else would change. lol.

Thanks for your help!
    01-21-09 08:09 PM
    I haven't ready every thread here so this may have been addressed. However, why couldn't Blackberry let me decide. I'm a Lotus Notes user and the beautiful thing is I can select my timezone for all calendar entries. So I know that when I am scheduling a call and will be in my home office to set the timezone for home. When I am setting up an appointment I can set it up for the timezone I'm traveling to.

The way Blackberry has this set up, I will have to set up my appointments as though I am going to be at home....even when I will road.

What a mess....although I fully understand why this wouldn't be good for Outlook users.
    01-22-09 02:07 AM
    ... Some of us would prefer that our devices to just allow us to schedule an appt in a different timezone and NOT WORRY about where that appt will occur or have the BB shift the appt when we arrive in that different timezone (TZ) and change that TZ.

In one of the many threads dealing with and/or complaining about this behavior, someone mentioned that the way to avoid this TZ shifting and appt ambiguity is that rather than change the TZ when you arrive in a new location, rather just use the Date/Time function and JUST CHANGE THE TIME - leave the TZ as it is (wrong). Your appts would not be time shifted but your device will show the correct time. ...
    This is exactly what I want to happen. I accidentally found the solution referred to here, because one app (World Mate Live - free edition) actually DID notice (somehow) that I was no longer in Eastern Time and asked me if I wanted to switch to Central, which I did. When I peeked at the settings, the app had changed the Time/Date but not the Time Zone or Time Source. There's no reason why that wouldn't work just fine overseas.

The calendar issue was not solved, because it showed me on the right day at the wrong hour which means if I were overseas, I would likely be looking at a calendar a half-day off and this would make it awkward to *schedule appointments. At least, though, it did not shift all my appointments to try to match the perceived new time; my 2:30 pm flight still appeared at 2:30 pm (not 1:30), a great comfort to me.

The gymnastics everyone rfers to for working around this still seem to me a good indication that, intentional or not, this is the wrong way to program this feature.
    01-22-09 10:48 AM
    I haven't ready every thread here so this may have been addressed. However, why couldn't Blackberry let me decide. I'm a Lotus Notes user and the beautiful thing is I can select my timezone for all calendar entries. So I know that when I am scheduling a call and will be in my home office to set the timezone for home. When I am setting up an appointment I can set it up for the timezone I'm traveling to...
    That has been suggested, by me and maybe others. It would be a great feature. Thanks for posting. Maybe if enough people ask for it, RIM will consider it. I'm not holding my breath, considering the more important OS issues they have to solve.
    01-22-09 12:10 PM
    i just never reset my time now just my watch then everything is fine
    01-22-09 06:29 PM
    is there an App that can change time zones this week ti was nuts traveling between 3 time zones really threw me off
    my alarm i kept updating manually, never know when i switch time zones
    01-23-09 05:08 PM
    is there an App that can change time zones this week ti was nuts traveling between 3 time zones really threw me off
    my alarm i kept updating manually, never know when i switch time zones
    Not to my knowledge. One of our independent developers took a look at the problem some months ago and determined that RIM didn't make the needed software hooks available. If you didn't know what time zone you were in, why did you manually change your alarm? And how did you know what to change it to?
    01-23-09 07:07 PM
    i go into the truck stop and check, or preset it to my destination. did see on the storm that you can set home time and second time zone but it only shows both times on the alarm clock mode. also doing some checking i found a Garmin gps that has a built in automatic time zone changer so i might buy that.
    01-23-09 07:52 PM
    Would you post the model number of the Garmin GPS that changes time zones? There might be other people interested in it as well.
    01-23-09 07:55 PM
    reading on the new garmin nuvi 885T
    Other Features

01-23-09 08:25 PM
    It makes perfect sense to me!

It is not as if it is that big of a hassel to think about where you will be and at what time an appointment is going to be when you create it, and to change the time on these devices when you enter a different time zone.

I do have to admit that it did got me the first time it happened! You do have to put some thought into it!

Kudos to to you for a good job!
    It is a big deal. As a commercial driver many of my delivery appointments are right on the edge of one time zone or the other. I had always used my cell phone to determine which zone I was in. Missing a delivery appointment is the kiss of death in this business. I would like to at least see the option if displaying network time in the phone app and alarm clock.
    Last edited by KDerre; 01-24-09 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
    01-24-09 08:41 PM
    .... I would like to at least see the option if displaying network time in the phone app and alarm clock.
    That's a perfectly legitimate need. It seems like it would be easy to implement, but apparently it isn't. At least one developer looked at it and found that RIM did not make the right information available. People who work for RIM and RIM's partners see these threads, so we can always hope they'll act on requests like yours that don't affect how appointments are scheduled.
    01-24-09 08:51 PM
    There is an application called AutoTimeZone on crackberry.com that adjusts the device Time Zone automatically based on your location
    01-28-09 07:37 PM
    A search of CrackBerry.com didn't turn up AutoTimeZone. But I did find TrackIt: Time Zone Edition, which I had not previously noticed. It has a free trial, so I'm downloading it now. Is that what you were referring to?
    01-28-09 09:58 PM
    A search of CrackBerry.com didn't turn up AutoTimeZone. But I did find TrackIt: Time Zone Edition, which I had not previously noticed. It has a free trial, so I'm downloading it now. Is that what you were referring to?
    Hey Jeff, I have been following this thread since a few days ago in ET and now in CT...LOL! Anyway was wondering if you could share your thoughts on the TrackIt software?

Thanks!
    02-02-09 04:14 PM
    Unfortunately the free trial will expire before my next trip across time zones. I may buy it anyway in advance of the trip, just because it seems like it would work. I can't endorse products, but if it works I'll report it here and people can draw their own conclusions as to whether they want it. If you or anybody else is using it, feel free to report.
    02-02-09 09:33 PM
    I was going to buy AutoTimeZone for my wife who is a flight attendant but then I read the description closer. It claims to set the time zone automatically when it changes but afterward it says you must run the application in the new time zone for this to happen. Not only is this not automatic, it is only a few clicks quicker than just going into date/time options and changing the time zone yourself. I want something for her that is truly automatic once installed. Does anyone know of a solution or if my assessment of AutoTimeZone is incorrect?

EDIT: Just realized this may not be possible because I think the BB clock does not sync automatically, if so it would never know it was in a different time zone.
    Last edited by tce1973; 02-10-09 at 04:26 PM.
    02-10-09 04:19 PM
    I bought TrackIT: Time Zone Edition as discussed above. Yesterday I traveled from Eastern Time to Central Time. Unfortunately the "Local Time" display continued to display Eastern Time after I arrived in Central Time. It did not display Central Time until I changed the Time Zone on my BlackBerry from Eastern Time to Central Time. So it does not automatically adjust time zones and will be no help for those who are looking for a program to do that. It does have a nice world clock display capability, for showing the time in various zones around the world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 09:52 PM
    Great post! I'm traveling from Ohio to Washington next week, and now I know ahead of time that I'll have to change my time. Thanks a bunch!
    02-12-09 11:52 PM
    Bless you. I'm doing a search now.
    02-24-09 08:53 AM
    My wife is a flight attendant too. They don't have the luxury of sitting in front of a comp with MS outlook running to set their alarms for tomorrows report time.
    I find that if I just change the time manually in clock, any appointment set from outlook or set in the BB stay at the correct time.
    I also find that If I simply set an alarm for say, 8:00am tomorrow, then change the time zone because now let's say I've arrived in the eastern time zone, the clock indicates that the alarm is still armed for 8:am and the time has changed to the eastern time.
    03-03-09 01:28 PM
    You slightly missed my point. Sitting in front of Outlook is how you screw up your timezones. Using the BlackBerry is the easiet way, since it makes the time zone selection explicit. I understand Outlook 2007 is better than 2003. I don't have 2003 yet. Just set the appointment for the correct time in the correct time zone, and all will be well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 06:35 PM
    Jeff, I follow your reasoning, but for me, it just doesn't track. My Storm is connected to BES, which is connected to Exchange. ALL times in Exchange are stored in GMT and translated on the fly to local time zones, for this very reason. I travel several time zones per week and I always change the BB to the local zone and my meetings are ALWAYS correct. It's the manual changing of the TZ that drives me crazy. I understand that some folks are not tied to Exchange and I fully understand how screwed up that can get, because that was the way it was 10 or more years ago as PDA's became popular. What I don't understand is why RIM doesn't give us the opportunity to choose. It's not that difficult a thing to implement, is it? I licensed AutoTimeZone, but gave it up because I have to manually find the program and run it. Its not automatic, and why have a program loaded that I have to manually invoke when I can already do that. :-)

Thanks for all your great help on the forums...
    03-04-09 05:43 PM
211 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD