Well I did a battery pull and it solved the memory problem. I will keep an eye on my memory and see how it acts. I don't know for sure if this log delete caused the up/down memory incident.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 04:56 PM
    Just one more piece of advice to those who do this, the first time
    you run a new app, check it again. Some apps that were not in
    the list when you stopped the logging will be there after the first
    use. I noticed that a couple of times
    09-07-08 06:01 PM
    You can also delete Eventlog.cod in the Java folder and never have to deal with it again.
    I have deleted eventlog.cod from java folder but the device is the same as before.... Deleting log files makes the device faster first but deleting eventlog.cod does not make any difference.... that speed does not last forever....

I don't understand whats happening??
    Last edited by venedikli; 01-11-09 at 03:04 AM.
    01-10-09 11:40 AM
    I'm so confused! Should I? Should I not? What if RIM needs to access my device remotely an' debug it............................
    05-18-09 09:33 AM
    thanks for the tip. my memory went from 104.1mb to 109.7mb after the clear
    05-18-09 10:01 AM
    i use logmaid... it clears my eventlog every hour...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/logmaid-0-4-a-153595/
    05-18-09 10:06 AM
    this is very helpful! thanks!
    05-18-09 11:19 AM
    logmaid keeps my bold running really smooth
    05-18-09 11:21 AM
    There will be no ill effects from preventing the log from being created. As I posted earlier, it can be deleted completely and everything will be alright. It is merely a diagnostic tool, nothing more.

Can we use Crack uti or another program to just remove the Eventlog.cod file, then reboot. Or does it have to be done before loading OS?
    05-18-09 11:27 AM
    Thanks for all the tips regarding the event log.
    Cleared mine and set it to not keep a log at all.
    05-18-09 01:02 PM
    I also cleared my log and set it to not log anything.

To add to what AG said, if you go into menu and then options and then scroll down to the area where the checkboxes are you can just hit menu again and choose hide all types. This way you don't have to uncheck each box.

And remember, if you upgrade (or downgrade) your OS you'll need to do this all over again.

Thanks, with your step by step was a breeze for this Novice BB user who hasn't a clue!
    12-03-09 11:56 PM
    Thanks for the tip.
    12-04-09 04:58 AM
    Nice! Now I don't have to manually clear it:-) Thanks!

12-04-09 10:18 AM
    Someone recently dug up this old thread, and after reading it, I thought it might fit better in the Tips, How To & FAQ section. So I moved it!
    12-04-09 10:35 AM
    I used Pete6's CrackUtil to copy the eventlog file and noted that it is 2 Kb in size. Deleting the file does free up a trivial amount of memory. On examination, the file is organized as First in, First Out (FIFO). That means it will grow to a maximum size of 2 Kb then recycle the space for the current data.

Removing the file: net_rim_event_log_viewer_app.cod does save 14 Kb. The log is still being created, but if the viewer is not installed, you can ignore it.

I suspect it may be of some use when devices are return for replacement, a way to verify normal operations after they are referbished.

IMHO, the space saved is not worth the effort of clearing the data.
    12-04-09 11:06 AM
    i tried the event log procedure with my metro pcs blackberry, it did make it faster but then all of a sudden my apps failed to connect. browser worked fine but the connection would go in and out whenever it wanted to.

the bad thing is i did it to my sisters verizon blackberry as well and now she is having the same problem. how can i fix this without having to get a replacement phone.

i've done all trouble shooting including wiping out the whole handset and nothing works. . now what?
    12-22-09 07:48 PM
    Thanks It frees up a lot of space!
    01-24-10 05:16 PM
    Thanks It frees up a lot of space!
    Actually, no it does not. The Event Log caps out at 400kb. As new data is
    written old data is erased, but the file will never exceed that cap.
    01-24-10 05:22 PM
    On my 83xx, I may have been concerned with the amount of space freed up by doing this, and at that time was.

With my 8900, I've never looked at it or cleared it. It really isn't worth my time to even think about.
    02-07-10 10:54 PM
    I recommend not to clear the Event Log. As has been already pointed out here, clearing the Event Log will not free up much space (not a significant amount anyway). Even though you might not have heard of someone using it here, it is an excellent tool to track what applications do. In particular I use it for monitoring certain applications I've granted a suspicious amount of permissions (�berTwitter anyone?) to see if they access the network or do anything else without my consent in the background. For security reasons I highly recommend everyone leave the Event Log as is.
    02-08-10 06:20 AM
    I'm running 5..586 on a 9700. How can I view the event log? Alt LGLG has no effect.
    Thanks.
    B B
    FOUND IT WORKS FROM THE HOME SCREEN.

Last edited by BlazorBoy; 05-22-10 at 07:43 AM.
    05-22-10 07:31 AM
    You need to be on the home screen, and hold alt while pressing L G L G.

I'm glad the tune changed towards the end of this thread. I'm with Reed, it doesn't save enough memory to matter, and I have solved issues viewing my own, and looking at others having errors. Dang was I skeered I was going to have to disagree with some who I believe much more in the know than I am.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

05-22-10 07:41 AM
    You need to be on the home screen, and hold alt while pressing L G L G.

I'm glad the tune changed towards the end of this thread. I'm with Reed, it doesn't save enough memory to matter, and I have solved issues viewing my own, and looking at others having errors. Dang was I skeered I was going to have to disagree with some who I believe much more in the know than I am.
    Thanks Badone. I found it out and agree with you it is worth keeping.
    B B

05-22-10 07:52 AM
    I'm 10 days in from my last reboot, cleared the event log, (running log at "information level") and saw no measurable increase in available memory. I leave it running, never bother to clear it, doesn't seem to particularly matter.

I've only really used the event log only once, there was an OS update that broke an app, I was able to copy some of the event log, send it to the app developer, who was able to track down the change in the newer OS and develop an app update to fix the issue.
    05-22-10 10:02 AM
    I actually learned the "event log"tip from the salesman at bestbuy when I bought my cuve 8520. I do it @ least 1-2x a week and it does freeup a lil memory.are there any other logs I can clear to give me even more memory and make my phone lag a lil less?? Like clear out inboxes etc. I've only had my first bb for about 5 months so any info would be VERY helpful!!! Thank you guys!!! Also, I LOVE this site!! VERY informative!!

05-23-10 12:14 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD