RIM has taken a few punches to the gut as of lately. Falling stock prices, product delays, and Mike L's twitter pic scandal (kidding). After all of this blows over do some of you think that RIM will emerge a more focused and stronger company?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-11 03:45 PM
    There is no way of knowing this! It doesn't look good imo! I feel like RIM had so many chances over the last 3 years. Now they have so much on their plate it seems as if they don't know where to start
    06-18-11 03:48 PM
    Not as they presently are.
    Ghostnyc likes this.
    06-18-11 04:00 PM
    Its hard, going from the very top of the smartphone world to now dropping and dropping fast (their stock). Its either going to make them start releasing kicka$s phones or their going to ride off in the sunset

06-18-11 04:03 PM
    I believe they will bounce back but they will not overtake Apple or Android. I also don't believe they will go back to the glory days of '07 or '08.
    I don't believe they will disappear. All companies experience growing pains and face attacks from competitors. The BB platform is a respected platform, at this point in time it's time for the CEOs to earn their living. Get the correct talent in house and focus.
    06-18-11 04:13 PM
    I certainly think they will bounce back to being a stronger company, with QNX, TAT, and other purchases, they are getting a very strong potential portfolio.

I very much don't think they will take #1 again, that will be ruled by Android based devices, but I do truly believe that they will unseat Apple, Apple is positioning itself to being attacked on every angel, they ARE the target, their PC market will come under attack, their tablet market under attack, Steve Jobs is what helps make Apple what it is, and he isn't going to be around in his current capacity much longer.

Android devices will beat Apple on every spec
    Amazon and other MP3 tools will beat iTunes for features and ease of use eventually, and Windows 8 REALLY looks like it could recapture those who moved to OSX,

RIM is fortunate that they can run 1 full quarter with zero sales and still not be in the red due to cash on hand against opperating costs. They have the ability to REALLY reinvent their market with QNX, and seeing as they are actively buying companys it seems they are trying to do just that. They can come back to being a top solution again.

THOUGH! They very much could become a niche product if they don't come out fighting in 2012

06-18-11 05:29 PM
    I would have agree in Android being the market leader from here on in. RIM will probably be third for a long time, but being the smartphone and tablet market are really both still in their infancy, that might not matter much.

Smartphones and tablets are the biggest growing tech devices out there, who is to say Google, Apple, and RIM won't all get even bigger and better bc of this?

I will say after getting a Playbook, I am amped to see QNX on a BB!!! It may take awhile, but I will be the first in line. Hope there is a QNX Torch!!!
    06-18-11 06:07 PM
    I certainly think they will bounce back to being a stronger company, with QNX, TAT, and other purchases, they are getting a very strong potential portfolio.

I very much don't think they will take #1 again, that will be ruled by Android based devices, but I do truly believe that they will unseat Apple, Apple is positioning itself to being attacked on every angel, they ARE the target, their PC market will come under attack, their tablet market under attack, Steve Jobs is what helps make Apple what it is, and he isn't going to be around in his current capacity much longer.

Android devices will beat Apple on every spec
    Amazon and other MP3 tools will beat iTunes for features and ease of use eventually, and Windows 8 REALLY looks like it could recapture those who moved to OSX,

RIM is fortunate that they can run 1 full quarter with zero sales and still not be in the red due to cash on hand against opperating costs. They have the ability to REALLY reinvent their market with QNX, and seeing as they are actively buying companys it seems they are trying to do just that. They can come back to being a top solution again.

THOUGH! They very much could become a niche product if they don't come out fighting in 2012

I agree they could be stronger with all the purchases. But we have no idea how QNX will be. For some reason everyone assumes QNX is going to be so so great. How do we know that? And they are so far away from apple right now! I mean BB has no apps. Internet, FB and Twitter are so painfully slow that you can barely use it.....
    06-18-11 06:14 PM
    No. They are done. The co-CEO situation needs to change and they will hang on until too late. There will be a hostile takeover and the hardware division will be sold off. They will then try to repair the rapidly dwindling Enterprise division. After that they will fade into obscurity.
    06-18-11 06:27 PM
    I certainly hope so too - but - only having good ingredients don't make the perfect meal - you need a good chef too - knowing HOW to put things together - and that is perhaps where RIM will struggle.
    06-18-11 06:39 PM
    I certainly hope so too - but - only having good ingredients don't make the perfect meal - you need a good chef too - knowing HOW to put things together - and that is perhaps where RIM will struggle.
    That is the major challenge!

RIM has done a good job finding quality ingredients, can they bake a good product.

QNX on the playbook is beautiful, what it does it does well, can RIM bring more of the OS6 features to QNX for the smart phone? I sure hope so, the fact RIM made any sales in North America Calendar Q2 2011, says that the OS6 UI is a decent UI, and that RIM's form factor is still desired, I have not seen a single BB BoGo deal in 4 months, but every carrier has offered Android ones, so it isn't the free/cheap headsets only driving RIM's market. It certainly isn't only RIM big fans, there honestly isn't that many of us. RIM still has a uniquness, and they need to capture that in a QNX OS on competitive hardware (doesn't need to be cutting edge, just can't be the **** of the axe)

RIM will buy back 5% of it's outstanding shares, further helping it prevent anyone attempting a hostile take over, I just truly hope that RIM is getting their good cooks doing the important things, and refocusing on headsets, not politics with 100 different nations

06-18-11 07:05 PM
    I agree they could be stronger with all the purchases. But we have no idea how QNX will be. For some reason everyone assumes QNX is going to be so so great. How do we know that? And they are so far away from apple right now! I mean BB has no apps. Internet, FB and Twitter are so painfully slow that you can barely use it.....
    The No apps thing. Ok I'll give you that, but seriously the internet is far from painfully slow, at times I've been frustrated, but even my notebook does that, I use my bb for web browsing more and more because of the heat my laptop generates. The Torchs browing is so far ahead of OS5 browsing, and the Playbook ahead yet again, RIM is on the right track with the stuff they can control, they just need to get a solid road map in place to win developers confidence to build their app catalog

06-18-11 07:08 PM
    I think RIM will pull through. I know I love their products and the road map does address their weaknesses. I think it's silly to say android or anyone will lead the space in 5 years or 10 years. You never know who might arrive and who might die. Apple still exists out of sheer luck and now they are on top. It is too hard to know what might happen. Nobody gave a care about android prior to one and a half years ago. It is all a guess. I'll be buying a 9900 though and I love my playbook.
    06-18-11 07:52 PM
    I think they are about 1 year away from a bounce back, BUT the should get a boost from the new 7.0 phones, BUT I think in 2012, when the PB has it's second version and updated (better working) software, and the QNX phones are on the radar, is when the real bounce back is gonna happen!
    06-18-11 09:16 PM
    RIM MUST add flash addon to their stuff or else the train is moving.

06-18-11 09:34 PM
    I really don't think there is anything to bounce back 'from' per say. People are comparing them to the success of the other OS. I believe they are doing good and think they will get better at an even faster pace (like the other companies that they're usually compared to) once they can get a steady stream of smartphones that are QNX based pushed out. App development is another area that needs work for this to happen.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-18-11 09:39 PM
    The No apps thing. Ok I'll give you that, but seriously the internet is far from painfully slow, at times I've been frustrated, but even my notebook does that, I use my bb for web browsing more and more because of the heat my laptop generates. The Torchs browing is so far ahead of OS5 browsing, and the Playbook ahead yet again, RIM is on the right track with the stuff they can control, they just need to get a solid road map in place to win developers confidence to build their app catalog

I guess everyone has a different opinion on the browser speed.I have a 9650 runing os6 and IMO the browser, using facebook and using twitter is just too slow! But no use arguing about it!! I am very interested what will happen with apps for QNX. I mean I know there are so so many useless apps out there. But there are a handful that would be nice. All the local news channels are starting to make apps and all you see is android and iphone apps offered. Would be nice to see BB thrown in there ya know!
    06-18-11 09:46 PM
    They desperately need some razzle dazzle from TAT. I think right now a little bit of style over substance could make a world of difference. To my mind the bridge app is the only super app on this device (playbook), but it doesn't LOOK super. They could have made the calendar, email, bbm etc pop a little bit like they did with the calculator app for instance. Bland looking functionality doesn't win consumers over. Ultimately though, they need to have a full ecosystem or they are indeed done. It's no longer just about a kickin' OS or flashy device - the people lining up in the streets are expecting nothing less than a theme park given the amount they are doling out on a 3 yr contract.
    Last edited by BlackStormRising; 06-18-11 at 11:25 PM.
    06-18-11 10:02 PM
    I thought this was about sinking rim and all, you ramble about is apple and android. Hater
    06-18-11 10:15 PM
    RIM MUST add flash addon to their stuff or else the train is moving.

Apple is doing fine with it. Android did fine before putting it on as well.
    06-18-11 10:50 PM
    flash while nice to have is not "required" at all. i think some of the PB can attest to that as well.
    06-18-11 10:59 PM
    Sometimes you gotta have a little faith.

06-19-11 01:26 AM
    I have only been a blackberry user for a short time and I have thouroughly enjoyed my experience (and I will continue to do so). All companies either big or small will run into trouble its all a matter of how they deal with it. I guess we will just have to wait and see what they wil do next. And btw I have enjoyed reading all of the replies (most of them at least) and that's the reason I love this site.

06-19-11 02:33 AM
    am I a fan boy yes.

now that thats out of the way, i think they will bounce back.

why?

i think we need to look at the 4 psychological factors that the dog wisperer uses

avoidance - what rim has been doing since iphone 1 was released
    flight - focusing on globalization and neglecting north america and the quote feature arms race

now i think we are in fight mode. mihal and jimmy boy know **** has hit the fan.

i dont think they are sitting on there asses right now. i think they are busting *** with r and d and innovation.

the head count reduction will remove duplicity and hopefully alll other issues that have cause slow downs in production and development

remember the lead marketing guy left for samsung....did jimmy just become marketing exec?

it will take another 2 fiscal quarters for a full turn arround

500k pb and 13.2 mill bb shipments isnt anything to scoff at
    06-19-11 07:01 PM
    If they execute the QNX handheld rollout flawlessly, I think they will be a strong number 3, poaching more Android users than Apple users. They will have the most powerful OS, web, media, and all of the security that BB is famous for and should have a much healthier app base.
    06-19-11 08:07 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD