I went back to my Bold 9930 Touch. So much easier to use and it does everything I need - all using one hand (except for typing). But I wish it had a better camera, and 4G speed.
    08-18-15 03:54 PM
    BBOS is not easier to use, it is just that BBOS users know the OS so well that it is second nature to them. They like how the phone can be customised to suit their needs. I have no doubt that they honestly prefer their old phones.

The trouble is that while BlackBerry could sell maybe 1.5 million of these devices per year, they can not afford to update the OS.

The issue going forward is BIS. How long will the carriers support BIS. Can you operate BBOS without BIS?

Personally, I would never go back to my 9900. My daughter would send me a text with a picture attached and the device would grind to a stop. The browser was slow and the map feature was rudimentary at best. The best app that I had was my bank app that still seems to send me texts even though I have moved on to BB10. Then there was the battery issues. Often my battery would be dead but become magically alive after a battery pull.

If all a person used a phone for was for texting (texts), phone calls calendar and emails . It was a great phone. I liked the size of the 9900, keyboard and trackpad at the time. I do wish I would have gotten a Torch though. They had a cool factor. Loved that slides click.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 09:41 AM
    Im a bit confused. For every single app you listed, the BB10 version is better, in nearly every way, than the os7 version - either because its been updated and released on BB world, or because you can get a modern apk of the app...What is it about the os7 version of any of those apps that you prefer over the BB10/android version?

I also find it comical how many people shrug off security like its not even worth speaking about. Do you keep nuclear secrets in your Home? No? Why lock the doors!! Why password protect your phone or PC?? No nuclear secrets there! Hell whats all this fuss about bank card PIN numbers... bank cards don't have nuclear secrets in em?!!?! Basically unless your privacy concerns are at the international level, security should be all but scoffed at , and we should all be morons using Apple's Touch ID :P
    If I wanted an apk, I would have bought an Android phone rather than running it in Blackberry. Speaking of bb10 apps, when was the last time the facebook app or twitter app functioned properly in bb10? There may be apk equivalents, but do any of those apps function properly as in Android, or even as a BlackBerry app ? There are no equivalents for social feeds apps, poynt, bms or google maps. Google talk and Y! Messenger still works flawlessly in bbos 7.( The only bb10 app which work properly in my Z30 is StarTracker, thanks to the developers). Docs to go app is stripped down of mayny useful features like 'insert function' in spreadsheet function in bb10. Several free and useful .jar apps like dictionaries can be installed in bbos 7, but not in bb10.

via  BlackBerry Z30 
    08-19-15 11:16 AM
    If I wanted an apk, I would have bought an Android phone rather than running it in Blackberry. Speaking of bb10 apps, when was the last time the facebook app or twitter app functioned properly in bb10? There may be apk equivalents, but do any of those apps function properly as in Android, or even as a BlackBerry app ? There are no equivalents for social feeds apps, poynt, bms or google maps. Google talk and Y! Messenger still works flawlessly in bbos 7.( The only bb10 app which work properly in my Z30 is StarTracker, thanks to the developers). Docs to go app is stripped down of mayny useful features like 'insert function' in spreadsheet function in bb10. Several free and useful .jar apps like dictionaries can be installed in bbos 7, but not in bb10.

via  BlackBerry Z30 
    Your not wanting to install apk has nothing to do with the fact that a) BB10 can run these apps, and b) many of them, including several you listed, work quite well on BB10. So, BB10 still out performs OS7 as far as those functions go. You mention installing .jar files on os7 - if you are willing to do this, then I cant imagine how apk's are throwing you for a loop.

I use the facebook and twitter apps on BB10 - they work normally for me? Granted I am a very light user of both, so who knows maybe they're not great. What I am sure of, is that you can easily have a better facebook and twitter experience on BB10 (whether it be a 3rd party app, apk, or the browser) than you can on os7.
    08-19-15 11:32 AM
    Your not wanting to install apk has nothing to do with the fact that a) BB10 can run these apps, and b) many of them, including several you listed, work quite well on BB10. So, BB10 still out performs OS7 as far as those functions go. You mention installing .jar files on os7 - if you are willing to do this, then I cant imagine how apk's are throwing you for a loop.

I use the facebook and twitter apps on BB10 - they work normally for me? Granted I am a very light user of both, so who knows maybe they're not great. What I am sure of, is that you can easily have a better facebook and twitter experience on BB10 (whether it be a 3rd party app, apk, or the browser) than you can on os7.
    What are those apps which work quite well in bb10 ? I switched to a legacy BlackBerry device after having frustrated with BB10 for almost a year. Running java based apps in BBOS 7 is not equivalent to running apks in BB10, in terms of functionality. If one is okay with mediocre performance with side-loaded apks, I rest my case.

via  BlackBerry Z30 
    08-19-15 12:15 PM
    What are those apps which work quite well in bb10 ? I switched to a legacy BlackBerry device after having frustrated with BB10 for almost a year. Running java based apps in BBOS 7 is not equivalent to running apks in BB10, in terms of functionality. If one is okay with mediocre performance with side-loaded apks, I rest my case.

via  BlackBerry Z30 

Which apps work well on BB10? That's quite the open-ended question... I guess i'll tell you which ones I have used, which perform substantially similar on my android tablet, as they do on my BB10 device:

Netflix
    Google Maps
    IP Cam Viewer
    uTorrent Remote
    WD My Cloud
    Trivia Crack
    Hulu+
    Temple Run

All the above apps were downloaded from Google Play, and installed without any modification. They all work fine. I cant sign into Google maps, which doesn't affect me, but other then that, all features on all apps are working.

"... I rest my case" ... you would make a sh*t lawyer. You've 'rested your case' prior to making any valid points or substantiating any of your claims. Good job.
    08-19-15 02:47 PM
    Which apps work well on BB10? That's quite the open-ended question... I guess i'll tell you which ones I have used, which perform substantially similar on my android tablet, as they do on my BB10 device:

Netflix
    Google Maps
    IP Cam Viewer
    uTorrent Remote
    WD My Cloud
    Trivia Crack
    Hulu+
    Temple Run

All the above apps were downloaded from Google Play, and installed without any modification. They all work fine. I cant sign into Google maps, which doesn't affect me, but other then that, all features on all apps are working.

"... I rest my case" ... you would make a sh*t lawyer. You've 'rested your case' prior to making any valid points or substantiating any of your claims. Good job.
    This lawyer won't entertain sh**ty remarks. The lawyer himself has tested both BBOS 7 and BB10 platforms and has presented his findings before the jury.

via  BlackBerry Z30 
    08-19-15 03:41 PM
    I'm looking for a Torch 8910 to tinker with, myself.

Posted from my Q5 via CB10
    08-19-15 03:56 PM
    This lawyer won't entertain sh**ty remarks. The lawyer himself has tested both BBOS 7 and BB10 platforms and has presented his findings before the jury.

via  BlackBerry Z30 
    ... ooooook then.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:50 PM

Netflix
    Google Maps
    IP Cam Viewer
    uTorrent Remote
    WD My Cloud
    Trivia Crack
    Hulu+
    Temple Run

I don't want to start a **** storm and get you all wound up, but I think OP was referring to BB10 apps, when he asked what apps work well on BB10. Thing is, none of those you listed are actually BB10 apps.
    08-19-15 09:29 PM
    I don't want to start a **** storm and get you all wound up, but I think OP was referring to BB10 apps, when he asked what apps work well on BB10. Thing is, none of those you listed are actually BB10 apps.
    Thank you for considering my feelings ... But seriously, his first post read this, verbatim: "I ditched my BlackBerry Z30 for a Curve 9320. There are more useful and functional apps for BBOS 7 than for BB10. The so called BlackBerry experience can be enjoyed only if you use a legacy (legendary in my opinion) device."

I don't see where he specified natively coded apps from blackberry world. The fact is that BB10 can run apks, therefore apps for BB10 include those apks which work on BB10.

My point was that you can enjoy the BlackBerry experience with a plethora of apps that will run on BB10. I actually believe that there are quite a few top quality natively coded apps on BB World as well, but my point stands with the ability to run apk's alone. How are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that OS7 has better apps than BB10 - that's ridiculous.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-20-15 11:01 AM
    Thank you for considering my feelings ... But seriously, his first post read this, verbatim: "I ditched my BlackBerry Z30 for a Curve 9320. There are more useful and functional apps for BBOS 7 than for BB10. The so called BlackBerry experience can be enjoyed only if you use a legacy (legendary in my opinion) device."

I don't see where he specified natively coded apps from blackberry world. The fact is that BB10 can run apks, therefore apps for BB10 include those apks which work on BB10.

My point was that you can enjoy the BlackBerry experience with a plethora of apps that will run on BB10. I actually believe that there are quite a few top quality natively coded apps on BB World as well, but my point stands with the ability to run apk's alone. How are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that OS7 has better apps than BB10 - that's ridiculous.
    What makes you think that .apks run better in BB10 than in native Android devices ? Do all those ported apps work headlessly in BB10 ? Not even this native Crackberry app functions headlessly in BlackBerry 10. I presume your reply will be 'I don't like to be bothered with those stupid notifications' just like when you said you don't use facebook or twitter, hence you don't care if they work or not in BB10. From my experience, I found that legacy devices do a good job at places where the modern bb10 devices have failed miserably. Speaking of security, I am not aware of any instances where the legendary security guarantee of BlackBerry was breached.

via  BlackBerry Z30 
    08-20-15 11:40 AM
    What makes you think that .apks run better in BB10 than in native Android devices ? Do all those ported apps work headlessly in BB10 ? Not even this native Crackberry app functions headlessly in BlackBerry 10. I presume your reply will be 'I don't like to be bothered with those stupid notifications' just like when you said you don't use facebook or twitter, hence you don't care if they work or not in BB10. From my experience, I found that legacy devices do a good job at places where the modern bb10 devices have failed miserably. Speaking of security, I am not aware of any instances where the legendary security guarantee of BlackBerry was breached.

via  BlackBerry Z30 
    First of all, show me where I said "apks run better in BB10 than in native Android devices". Secondly, what ported apps are you talking about? The apk files I mentioned are not ports at all, they are unmodified apk files from Google Play, and as I clearly stated before, they run substantially similar to how they run on my android tablet.

Regarding your not receiving notifications (assumingly in the Hub) for Facebook or whatever, how did going back to OS7 solve that for you?

Regardless of your gripes with a couple of social media apps, to make the global statement that "There are more useful and functional apps for BBOS 7 than for BB10" is a bit much (personal opinion: especially when your examples include facebook and twitter, :P ) .

And yes, speaking about security, so now you've changed your position and agree that security is important, well I guess you must have copied over some nuclear secrets on your phone, huh?
    08-20-15 01:06 PM
    No way.

 Z30 - 10.3.2.2204
    08-20-15 01:44 PM
    Reissue them? No. The few of us that want them can find them, and at very reasonable prices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-20-15 02:39 PM
    Guys re-issuing the legacy devices would mean spending millions for BlackBerry to please a shrinking market share. You don't need a management course to understand that it's suicide.

BlackBerry trouble started with the legacy devices when people kept switching to Apple and Android, not with BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 04:11 PM
    First of all, show me where I said "apks run better in BB10 than in native Android devices". Secondly, what ported apps are you talking about? The apk files I mentioned are not ports at all, they are unmodified apk files from Google Play, and as I clearly stated before, they run substantially similar to how they run on my android tablet.

Regarding your not receiving notifications (assumingly in the Hub) for Facebook or whatever, how did going back to OS7 solve that for you?

Regardless of your gripes with a couple of social media apps, to make the global statement that "There are more useful and functional apps for BBOS 7 than for BB10" is a bit much (personal opinion: especially when your examples include facebook and twitter, :P ) .

And yes, speaking about security, so now you've changed your position and agree that security is important, well I guess you must have copied over some nuclear secrets on your phone, huh?
    To conclude, 1) apks won't run smoothly and perfectly in BB10 as they do in native Android platform. 2) apks are not good enough to make up for app scarcity of BB10. 3) BBOS 7 has many unique and cross platform apps which were popular and used by not-so-geek folks for their daily personal and business needs which are either absent/dysfunctional in BB10. 4) The Docs to Go office suite was stripped down of many features like insert function in spreadsheet in BB10.

 Sent from my BlackBerry Curve 9320 
    08-21-15 09:48 AM
    There is 1 of the old devices that would still sell if it was updated with a better screen, and that is the Pearl. My ex really wanted a new one but new ones were no longer available. Today she uses a Z30 but still misses the one handed use and super light weight.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-21-15 09:58 AM
    To conclude, 1) apks won't run smoothly and perfectly in BB10 as they do in native Android platform. 2) apks are not good enough to make up for app scarcity of BB10. 3) BBOS 7 has many unique and cross platform apps which were popular and used by not-so-geek folks for their daily personal and business needs which are either absent/dysfunctional in BB10. 4) The Docs to Go office suite was stripped down of many features like insert function in spreadsheet in BB10.

I have both an Android and BB10 phone running 10.3.1 . Android APK's that do not require GPS work fine. There might be a APK out there that does not but I do not have any that do not. In my experience where you can find the same app that is still available to BBOS that app can not compare with the APK.

You may like BBOS , great - no problem but your argument about the superiority of BBOS apps over APK's has no merit.
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    08-21-15 10:46 AM
    There is 1 of the old devices that would still sell if it was updated with a better screen, and that is the Pearl. My ex really wanted a new one but new ones were no longer available. Today she uses a Z30 but still misses the one handed use and super light weight.

Posted via CB10
    You can actually still find the 910X which is the 8100 pearl upgrade - may need to look on that auction site, but, they are out there.
    08-21-15 11:15 AM

Well, I cant argue the same points over and over, like you seem to be able to.. so here, maybe this is more your speed. I hear it has amazing legacy apps:

Do you think BlackBerry should reissue the good old BBOS 7 phones-rotary_phone.jpg
    08-27-15 10:43 AM
    Your analogy to a rotary phone is so off, it's just lame.

Even this phone from the 80s is more advanced than the one you pictured.

Do you think BlackBerry should reissue the good old BBOS 7 phones-motorola-4500x-1.jpg
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    08-27-15 11:53 AM
    Attached Thumbnails Do you think BlackBerry should reissue the good old BBOS 7 phones-img_20150827_210345.png  
    Last edited by Karan Mohal; 08-28-15 at 03:22 PM.
    08-27-15 09:04 PM
    Some users of the legacy devices use them for basic functions, like making calls, texts and calendar. The devices function exceedingly well for that. How much performance do you need for dialing out and sending SMS, or basic FB/TW? There's quite a selection of apps on BBOS, and for those that aren't big on apps in the first place these devices work just fine.
    Having the basic functions is no longer enough in this day and age. While a small minority group of BBOS lovers may be content with that, the rest of the world wants much more from their phones. Heck, they even want them to be so powerful that they could replace their PCs.

One of the perception problems BlackBerry has been having is that the outside world still thinks BB10 is the same as the limited BBOS, and that has been hurting the sales. You need to accept that except a limited number of BBOS die-hards, nobody wants BBOS anymore! It's time to move on!
    08-27-15 10:37 PM
    People use what works for them, that's the bottom line. Not everyone intends to use their smartphone as a pc replacement, nor do they have to.
    Bonnie Bonzai and David Tyler like this.
    08-27-15 10:53 PM
60 123