Hi All!

So i've always been one to install leaked OS's for all of my phones, be it the Storm, 9700, 9780 or my 9900 and I've been an avid believer that Shrinking the OS helps.

In all actuallity, a few days ago I reinstalled 7.1.0.190 (190) but wiped my device and reinstalled without shrinking and the battery life is ALOT better.

When I first tried 190, the day it was released (and having shrunk it), 3 days later I was still getting a battery drain of over 6% on what I would call "light usage."

I've had 190 reinstalled now, without being shrunk, and my battery life is 2% an hour. Same amount of emails coming in, same usage, same bbm's and everything.

I don't know why Shrink an OS seems to make the battery work harder and discharge at a faster rate, I can't answer that.... but my theory is that when you shrink an OS, the phone spends alot of time searching for files that aren't loaded onto the device (possibly?).

Anyways, I urge everyone to load 190 without shrinking the OS (its not needed anyways). You may just be happy with your battery life!
    01-17-12 11:20 PM
    Like you, I've always shrunk my OS builds, however I have never had poor battery life as a result of this... even on OS7.1
    lyricidal likes this.
    01-18-12 04:12 AM
    Maybe you haven't shrunk all the files.... I pretty much shrunk everything... I still hold to my theory..
    01-18-12 04:30 AM
    Oh believe me, mine get shrunk to within an inch of their lives... and then some!

You stick to your theory if it works for you, but I'm sorry I ain't buying it.
    rrrebo, lyricidal, deezy87 and 1 others like this.
    01-18-12 04:47 AM
    I think sometimes people shrink too much out or things they shouldn't be removing.
    01-18-12 06:17 AM
    Anything that can be shrunk using the usual tools is non-essential, and can in fact safely be removed.

This thread is probably more about psychology than anything else. Chances are, un-shrunk, the OP would likely be having the same issue.
    lyricidal likes this.
    01-18-12 02:41 PM
    Wordy - I disagree with your statement as I tested it both shrunk and unshrunk on the same usage...

If you look at it in terms of coding (and as I see lyricidal liked your post, and I'm sure he codes), the actual code itself will have references to the other files, so even if you removed the files, its all linked together. Logically, if it was written in C, then the headers file would still have for instance #include bbm and if that file is removed, itll search for it but not find it... so my theory is that the OS itself spends alot of time searching for files that aren't loaded onto the device, thus constantly processing and lowering battery life.
    lyricidal likes this.
    01-18-12 11:32 PM
    ... so my theory is that the OS itself spends alot of time searching for files that aren't loaded onto the device, thus constantly processing and lowering battery life.
    You can check every single OS process in the Events Log.

If your theory was correct, my log would be full of failed actions and errors... but it's not.
    deezy87 likes this.
    01-19-12 03:30 AM
    I wonder what Phill shrinks of an OS...
    01-19-12 05:34 AM
    In terms of BBHTool's Shrink, you should be fine - it has been optimized for os7/7.1 to avoid shrinking what shouldn't be
    I see what you mean/think but ultimately as stated above Shrink only removes apps/files that are non-essential
    rroyy likes this.
    01-19-12 07:35 AM
    I'm asking on this thread as I really respect those involved.

On the latest leak there were comments that BB Protect didn't work if you shrink out "plans" whatever that is. I see it on BB Hybrid tool and don't shrink from that category/group but am curious your thoughts. Also if it causes issues with BB Protect, perhaps prevent it from being shrunk out.
    01-19-12 09:14 PM

On the latest leak there were comments that BB Protect didn't work if you shrink out "plans" whatever that is. I see it on BB Hybrid tool and don't shrink from that category/group but am curious your thoughts. Also if it causes issues with BB Protect, perhaps prevent it from being shrunk out.
    I did shrink out Plans on .190 and also had problems opening BlackBerry Protect (gave me some uncaught exception error). All I did was delete the app, and download it again from App World. It's worked fine ever since.
    sheldonbk likes this.
    01-20-12 02:16 AM

Plans and Protect share a file, corrected in newest version to be released this weekend

File in question is: net_rim_bb_api_catalyst_serviceplanengine.cod

v2.4.9.5
    - Added Install after completion to APK Converter (previously disabled)
    - Added Install to connected device option to Create-A-JAD
    - Added @BerryReview and @OpenSourceBB as Show Tweets options
    - Added Delete Vendor.xml button to Start tab
    - Added BlackBerry Mobile Conferencing shrink item
    - Disabled shrinking of Latin font for OS7/7.1 as it was causing reboots (won't shrink even when checked)
    - Fixed Screenshots for newer devices as well as uploading and tweeting screenshots
    - Fixes to PlayBook tab and improved error handling
    - Minor skin fixes
    - New icon - thanks to @_Lucky45
    - Optimized Screenshot uploading so BBHTool doesn't freeze while doing so
    - Optimized and updated Vendor.xml removal
    - Updated Android SDK link
    - Updated shrink for Croatian (Languages) and T-Mobile Name ID
    sheldonbk, rroyy and kccman like this.
    01-20-12 06:52 AM
    Guys does shrinking increase the rebooting speed of a blackberry or it is only good for getting extra space in your mobile? If shrinking does help with speeding up mobile then please can you direct me to a post where I can learn more about what should I shrink and what I should not? Thanks
    01-21-12 10:46 PM
    I have always used BBH-Tools to shrink the latest and greatest OS. .190 didn't respond so well to being reduced before the install, got an error. So I started from scratch and did the full install. Installed fine the second time and I was able to do the shrink after the OS was loaded. Worked great. Not sure if there is a connection but just thought I'd mention it.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-21-12 at 11:12 PM.
    01-21-12 11:09 PM
    lyricidal - Unrelated but have you tried compressing the files? I would imagine you could compress all the bb files + shrink and get a makeshift OS7 "light"?
    01-22-12 01:17 AM
    OP, your theory makes sense.
    It is entirely possible that there are functions in the OS that will use CPU cycles constantly looking or referencing files that are no longer on the system; this could easily cause some functions to stop working or use up the battery faster than usual.

Also, it is is not something that would show in the ALT+LGLG as that log is an application log and not a file system level log (as far as I can see).
    01-22-12 06:41 AM
    Guys does shrinking increase the rebooting speed of a blackberry or it is only good for getting extra space in your mobile? If shrinking does help with speeding up mobile then please can you direct me to a post where I can learn more about what should I shrink and what I should not? Thanks
    It can be good for both because there's less to load - you can shrink anything on the list

I have always used BBH-Tools to shrink the latest and greatest OS. .190 didn't respond so well to being reduced before the install, got an error. So I started from scratch and did the full install. Installed fine the second time and I was able to do the shrink after the OS was loaded. Worked great. Not sure if there is a connection but just thought I'd mention it.
    Hm it should essentially shrink the same things, I wonder if the first time was just a bad load as you'd still be removing the same files the second time around

lyricidal - Unrelated but have you tried compressing the files? I would imagine you could compress all the bb files + shrink and get a makeshift OS7 "light"?
    Not possible as once you start messing with the .cod files their signing goes out the windows

OP, your theory makes sense.
    It is entirely possible that there are functions in the OS that will use CPU cycles constantly looking or referencing files that are no longer on the system; this could easily cause some functions to stop working or use up the battery faster than usual.

Also, it is is not something that would show in the ALT+LGLG as that log is an application log and not a file system level log (as far as I can see).
    Event log is also a file system log, you can tell by the Severity/boldness of particular lines in the log
    01-22-12 09:19 AM
    I always used BB Boss to shrink with no issues at all. Unless you did something stupid like deleting a wrong .cod file, you will be fine. In fact, RIM's employees are shrinking their OS and test what happens for testing.
    01-22-12 10:14 AM
    I stopped shrinking my os and delete Alx files now. Great way to trim the fat.
    01-22-12 12:54 PM
    It can be good for both because there's less to load - you can shrink anything on the list

Hm it should essentially shrink the same things, I wonder if the first time was just a bad load as you'd still be removing the same files the second time around

Not possible as once you start messing with the .cod files their signing goes out the windows

Event log is also a file system log, you can tell by the Severity/boldness of particular lines in the log
    Thanks for the answer but I see everyone saying if you remove something which shouldn't be removed, then it will mess up whole OS, so that's why I asked for a post where I can learn what shouldn't be shrinked
    01-23-12 08:30 AM
    Thanks for the answer but I see everyone saying if you remove something which shouldn't be removed, then it will mess up whole OS, so that's why I asked for a post where I can learn what shouldn't be shrinked
    If you use http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...ml#post7053940 then you'll be safe... you can't remove anything you shouldn't
    01-23-12 09:00 AM
    If you use http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...ml#post7053940 then you'll be safe... you can't remove anything you shouldn't
    You the man Phil! Thanks for the answer
    01-24-12 04:04 AM
    Only thing I can think of that BBH-Tools could remove that might cause a problem would be all the fonts. Some of the apps may be hard to re-install too, like BBMaps.
    01-28-12 03:45 AM
    Only thing I can think of that BBH-Tools could remove that might cause a problem would be all the fonts. Some of the apps may be hard to re-install too, like BBMaps.
    The only font that would cause a problem if shrunk out is Latin TrueType, but BBHybrids Tool won't let you shrink that out, so it's not a problem.

If you shrink something out you later want to reinstall, just uncheck it and hit Put It Back, so that's not a problem either.
    01-28-12 06:26 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD