I have a very simple question about BBM.

In order to use it, do I need a data plan ? Or can I rely on my wi-fi access? Thank you!(:
    09-29-10 04:12 PM
    You need a have a blackberry social plan or just blackberry IM add on.
    09-29-10 04:43 PM
    You do need some sort of data plan, because that will give you your pin. BBM will work over wifi though.
    09-29-10 05:37 PM
    Data plan, unless your with a pre paid plan (like virgin mobile) that includes BBM and appworld for an extra charge.
    09-30-10 08:44 AM
    I have the app. and I can go to it. But it wont let me add contacts or let them add me, which means I cant use it and has no purpose. I dont have a data plan, so I would use wifi, correct? But it still refuses to work. My wi-fi works on the browser, but not on BBM.
    10-02-10 10:37 AM
    I have the app. and I can go to it. But it wont let me add contacts or let them add me, which means I cant use it and has no purpose. I dont have a data plan, so I would use wifi, correct? But it still refuses to work. My wi-fi works on the browser, but not on BBM.
    To get BBM working you need to have a small data plan as others have said. The PIN associated with your phone will not work if not activated. WIFI will NOT make you active through RIMS services without a data plan, but WILL work on WIFI if you DO have a data plan.
    Last edited by SmakBerry; 10-02-10 at 10:50 AM.
    10-02-10 10:48 AM
    BBM works including video and voice calling, just on WIFI with no data plan. In fact I cancelled my phone number and so my phone has no phone number attached to it. BUT I still use it for VOICE and VIDEO calls to my BB contacts. SO, NO you do not need data.. You do not even have to pay for any plan at all. I am not even sure I have a SIM CARD in my phone currently.. You can take your SIM card out and try it. Not sure I am the one to explain how it works, I would guess BBM is not looking at your phone number but just your BB identity. So I have a zero cost phone plan. I can only use it at wifi and only for my bbm contacts... BUT NO CONTRACT< NO FEES NO KIDDING!
    10-21-15 08:35 PM
    BBM works including video and voice calling, just on WIFI with no data plan. In fact I cancelled my phone number and so my phone has no phone number attached to it. BUT I still use it for VOICE and VIDEO calls to my BB contacts. SO, NO you do not need data.. You do not even have to pay for any plan at all. I am not even sure I have a SIM CARD in my phone currently.. You can take your SIM card out and try it. Not sure I am the one to explain how it works, I would guess BBM is not looking at your phone number but just your BB identity. So I have a zero cost phone plan. I can only use it at wifi and only for my bbm contacts... BUT NO CONTRACT< NO FEES NO KIDDING!
    How come? I've seen workarounds for making the stock browser work, but that's it. I've had 7 BlackBerrys thus far and save for the OS 10 Passport, the legacy devices haven't been able to connect to the BlackBerry services without BIS, even though Wi-Fi. Do you still have the service books from your carrier?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 06:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD