Well I have like 2 contacts. So I figured if I rarely use it. I might as well delete it. But then again it is a useful too to have just in case I ever meet someone with a bb. Or I need to get a file or whatever. So my question is. Is it a battery drainer? If it doesn't really increase battery life. Ill just leave it on there. But if it does increase battery life substantially ill consider deleting it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 10:07 PM
    It doesn't do anything in the background if you have it on. I have BBM running as one of the five core apps but no BBM contacts. So you should be fine.
    04-08-10 10:12 PM
    like godzilla said, its not a battery drainer and you wont gain much memory at all if any by deleting it
    04-08-10 10:29 PM
    BBM doesn't drain battery and it doesn't cause memory leaks either.

04-08-10 10:32 PM
    Hmmm but isn't it constantly awaiting bbm messages? And updating when contacts update profile pic and status and etc. So it might be a bit of a drainer? anyone tried it out?

But thanks for your input guys!

Last edited by FlashedBlaze; 04-08-10 at 10:40 PM.
    04-08-10 10:36 PM
    Hmmm but isn't it constantly awaiting bbm messages? And updating when contacts update profile pic and status and etc. So it might be a bit of a drainer? anyone tried it out?

It's like push e-mail. Doesn't really use battery. When you actually use BBM, it can drain battery just like any other app but it does no harm in the background.
    04-08-10 11:07 PM

Like godzilla said, that's where push technology comes into play. RIM's servers does the waiting around for you, not your BlackBerry. When the server receives a message destined for you, it gets "pushed" to your phone. This is how all messaging works for RIM apps (and they've made it available to 3rd party apps just recently), and is the reason why I can leave BBM, MSN and GTalk on all day with minimal consequences to battery life. They all pretty much lie dormant like your e-mail inbox until you or someone else sends something.
    04-08-10 11:36 PM
    like godzilla said, its not a battery drainer and you wont gain much memory at all if any by deleting it
    Actually, BBM uses about 3 MBs, so that can be quite a bit depending on what device one is on. For the 9700, no big deal. But for an 8330, its a lot. And the 8120 has less memory than the 8330.

Personally, I couldn't see the use in having it, so I deleted. Same thing with the other IM, they're great and all but took up too much space... Nimbuzz handles everything and takes up less memory. And as far as BBM contacts(if I had any lol, sad) needing to IM me, they could hit me up on one of the other IM's.
    04-09-10 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD