I have been a BB user for several years now and though I have many friends with BB I never really cared to add them on BBM. I LOVE my BB 9650 for the email/keyboard/battery/call quality, and just ease of use. But I never really got into the BBM thing.

I understand the basis of why BBM is what it is and I feel for the right persons it is fantastic. But for me I can't stand when people say you read my message why couldn't you respond or why didn't you contact me after I got the delivery confirmation. Its just annoys me because some things don't warrent a responce and sometimes you are in a situation that you can't answer right away and it makes you look like you're ignoring the sender.

I love the speed of the messanger but I hate the lack of privacy. If there was a way to turn off delivery and read recipts I would love to use it. Till then SMS and Email and oh yeah a phone call

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Maloy likes this.
    07-12-11 10:47 PM
    SMS works just as good. I shrink BBM out of the OS when I upgrade, I only know a few other people with BB and only 1 or 2 of them use BBM. To me the same conversation can be acheived with threaded SMS, and SMS is standard on just about every, smart or not, phone being sold now.

07-12-11 10:58 PM
    Your problem wasn't BBM, you just need better friends
    anon(3733516) and jaydee5799 like this.
    07-12-11 11:41 PM
    Lol. It all depends on how you use it I guess. I'm very open about my pin. I add and delet all the time. I really don't use it other than like a chat room. I wish there was a way to block incoming messages though.

07-12-11 11:56 PM
    Frankly, selecting friends well to share BBM with works pretty well. All of my contacts learn right away that it may take me some time to respond, and if I don't I'm either away from my BlackBerry or I'm asleep. I will answer as soon as I can, but not on a set schedule, because I don't have one.

This works well. In 3 years I've been pinged truce, once was an oopsie and one was my wife.

But BBM for me is highly useful. Friends and I exchange files, jokes, ideas, and brainstorm when we come up with something we've not seen before.

I didn't think I'd use it when I first came to BlackBerry, but now it's an extension to some of my closest friends and family.

07-13-11 12:45 AM
    Your problem wasn't BBM, you just need better friends
    Lol that was my thought exactly. People are busy, and most of us (sound like you're included in this group op) have things to do besides sour around and wait for bbm messages.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-13-11 01:07 AM
    Lol that was my thought exactly. People are busy, and most of us (sound like you're included in this group op) have things to do besides sour around and wait for bbm messages.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    What made you think people who use bbm sit around and wait for messages? Im a heavy bbm user and I do whatever I was planning to do while bbming, its a little thing I like to call multitasking. Bbm works the same way as sms except you can also add personal messages where everyone else on your contacts can see which is one of the reasons why I like bbm over sms. I wish I had time to sit around and just wait for bbm messages.
    07-13-11 03:10 AM
    You have status updates, use it, set it to Busy and they shouldn't expect a reply straight away.

I must ad, BBM works best with close friends or family members, especially if some are in a different country.
    Beauty of bbm is you can hold a conversation no matter how many interruptions, you can just pick up where you left it, you can't do that with a phone call.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-13-11 at 03:15 AM.
    luqman24 and blue_koolaid like this.
    07-13-11 03:11 AM
    And here's another thing, because of the little R many times you don't have to reply, example:

My wife bbms me on my way home to pick up some milk, I read the bbm, she sees the little R and there's no need for me to reply with an "ok". With sms you would have to reply.

luqman24 likes this.
    07-13-11 03:18 AM
    What made you think people who use bbm sit around and wait for messages? Im a heavy bbm user and I do whatever I was planning to do while bbming, its a little thing I like to call multitasking. Bbm works the same way as sms except you can also add personal messages where everyone else on your contacts can see which is one of the reasons why I like bbm over sms. I wish I had time to sit around and just wait for bbm messages.
    I bet you $5 I'm a heavier BBM user than you.
    I don't mean bbm users have nothing better to do than sit around and wait for messages. I meant that if his friends were getting irritated that he wasn't responding right away on bbm, his friends had nothing better to do than sit around all day and wait for new messages.

07-13-11 07:45 AM
    I have I think 7 people on my BBM list. One I work with and I see him all the time. Another two are hockey fans from a group I used to be in and the other 4 are in a BBM group I moderate. I use BBM a lot, but mostly for the BBM group I'm in and not for messaging. BBM is one of the main reasons I haven't jumped ship to an iGroan or a Droid.
    07-13-11 08:53 AM
    When I first got my BB I never used it and in fact did delete it! Once I started visiting this awesome site I reinstalled it and posted my pin. I was invited to a group and joined. I must have been lucky cuz they weren't weird or a perverse group lol!! Two years later the core members and I have remained in the group together as well as many a passersby. I would honestly call them very good friends although I have never met them face to face! Even so if I hadn't stumbled on them I prolly wouldn't have deleted bbm cuz theyre the only ones I keep in my contact list.

07-13-11 03:35 PM
    I can give 2 shakes rather a BBM friend gets annoyed/irriated that I didn't respond right back, which I have done countless times as I either get busy or whatever the case may be. Not 1 time has a person mentioned they were mad as they saw I received it and didn't respond.

I guess you need to choose BBM friends more wisely, lol!

And **** if they got so mad to the point of deleting me, so be it....

AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    07-13-11 03:58 PM
    I deleted BBM because most of my friends and family have Iphones, non-smartphones, and Androids. I think I'm the only one that has Blackberry. However, 3 of my close friends have BB, but they are not as tech savy as I am and aren't up to date with updating new OS's. I think they are still on stock .141. Sad. Very Sad.
    07-13-11 10:40 PM
    I used to use BBM a lot. But now that most work places have banned BBM on office provided Blackberrys, I use mostly whatsapp. I know very few people who still use SMS because of the inefficiency and high cost. Even my parents have stopped using SMS and switched to whatsapp.
    07-14-11 02:11 AM
    I used to use BBM a lot. But now that most work places have banned BBM on office provided Blackberrys, I use mostly whatsapp. I know very few people who still use SMS because of the inefficiency and high cost. Even my parents have stopped using SMS and switched to whatsapp.
    I tried using whatsapp but iphone owners always seemed to forget to turn it on and had to text them instead.

07-14-11 03:03 AM
    Can you actually delete the BBM ap? I'd love to do that. As of now, it's just another thing running in the backgroud, taxing my battery and hitting me with software update notifications. I don't use BBM and I never will.

Posted from my CrackBerry (not via BBM)

07-14-11 11:24 AM
    Can you actually delete the BBM ap? I'd love to do that. As of now, it's just another thing running in the backgroud, taxing my battery and hitting me with software update notifications. I don't use BBM and I never will.

Posted from my CrackBerry (not via BBM)

Yes you can, it's very easy.

Browse to the Loader Files folder (ex: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9650AMEA_v6.0.0.600_P4.4.0.486)

And edit the BlackBerryMessenger.alx file with notepad

change the <required>true</required> entry to <required>false</required>

Rerun apploader and uncheck the box next to BBM and then update your device
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 07-14-11 at 11:30 AM.
    07-14-11 11:26 AM
    H
    Yes you can, it's very easy.

Browse to the Loader Files folder (ex: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9650AMEA_v6.0.0.600_P4.4.0.486)

And edit the BlackBerryMessenger.alx file with notepad

change the <required>true</required> entry to <required>false</required>

Rerun apploader and uncheck the box next to BBM and then update your device
    Perfect, thanks! Ok, so one question....how do I do this lol? Where do I go to browse the loaded file folder?

07-14-11 12:02 PM
    Lol, there's an easier way than that. Just update bbm from appworld or blackberry.com/bbm, then you can delete it from options.

07-14-11 12:04 PM
    It must be a coincidence that this thread was started today, I had logged into Crackberry to post my own discussion regarding BBM.

When I purchased my first BB in 2009, I used BBM and a large majority of my friends/family were all Blackberry & BBM users (I think 15-20 ppl). Fast forward 2 years later... Within the past week my BBM friend list has gone from 4 to 3 as my friend bought a new Droid. I now have my wife and 2 friends left on BBM. 1 of those friends claims he doesn't use it anymore, and my other friend switches devices almost on a monthly basis so I'm sure it won't be long before he ditches his 9650 for another Android, again. My wife and I sms each other throughout the day..

So what is the point of BBM for someone like me? I really enjoyed the service and believe I still would, but the truth is I know less BlackBerry users than I have fingers on 1 hand. I guess I'm what you call a "Blackberry Fan Boy". I have attempted to leave RIM twice, but always came back after a couple of weeks and after my last try with Android, I won't do it again.

What can I do to make BBM more fun or entertaining for me? I don't quite understand what people get out of exchanging pin #'s and having awkward discussions with random strangers, being PING'd by someone 3,000 miles away who wants to talk about what they did today... or do I need to think outside of the box? I love my device, but don't want to spend all day on it talking to people whom I've never met.
    07-14-11 12:52 PM
    I don't have any bbm contacts, but I'm not deleting it in case I get some. I keep hoping a loved one I communicate with all the time in another country gets a BlackBerry so we can use bbm, but I doubt it's gonna happen. They can barely afford data on their phones over there and are adding it every few days for like $2. In any case, I think bbm is great for its always on feature, and I also think it's reasonably secure.

07-14-11 03:17 PM
    I don't have any bbm contacts, but I'm not deleting it in case I get some. I keep hoping a loved one I communicate with all the time in another country gets a BlackBerry so we can use bbm, but I doubt it's gonna happen. They can barely afford data on their phones over there and are adding it every few days for like $2. In any case, I think bbm is great for its always on feature, and I also think it's reasonably secure.

Awww, you can ad my pin lol, to give you the chance to try it
    07-14-11 03:29 PM
    Awww, you can ad my pin lol, to give you the chance to try it
    Well, okay ...

(waits nervously)
    07-14-11 03:40 PM
    I also abandoned BBM...

I will also abandond my friggin' BB at the first financially opportune time given my service agreement...

BB is officially obsolete and RIMM continues down the road of denial and arrogance, all because they lost focus on the end-user experience.

RIMM/Blackberry is textbook on how NOT to do business.
    07-14-11 04:15 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD