Hey everyone. Okay, for one i just got a refurb tour sent to be because my last tour was getting worse and worse. Now ive got the new tour and it works amazingly. I updated my OS to the 1.61 by Verizon wireless update.

So now it has changed all of my contacts specific ringtones to the classic ring. & they play that if someone calls instead of the default ringtone which i have set to be Trina. Is there an easy way to reset all contact ringtones to the default? I don't want to have to go through and change them all bc i only use special ringtones for a few people anyways.

HELLLP!

thanks!
    11-28-09 03:34 AM
    I thought I was going insane... I have this issue too! I haven't had time to try and fix it until tonight... I will let you know what I come up with though...
    11-28-09 08:42 PM
    okay thanks so much! idk what to do to try and fix it. :[
    11-28-09 08:49 PM
    Same here. I just went into each contact and changed them. Not so bad when you only have 50 contacts or so.
    11-28-09 09:06 PM
    Same here. I just went into each contact and changed them. Not so bad when you only have 50 contacts or so.

true. i was thinking about doing the same, but what do i change each one back to? i want everyone to play the set ringtone for my normal profile to so that they'll change if i change the default?
    11-28-09 09:15 PM
    yea i had the same thing as well...i thought something was wrong but i just had to open up the bigtincan app again and save my options again.
    11-28-09 11:07 PM
    I tried changing the Custom Ring-Tones, but they still rang with the phone's default ring-tone.

When I go to Contact and choose a contact, then go to Edit Contact, there is a place for Custom Ring Tones/Alerts. I click on that, pick one of my Custom Ring Tones, set it, and save it. However, it doesn't appear on the Edit Contact screen (I think it did on .40) and when that contact calls, I still get the default ring.

I hope someone can figure out a fix, if there is one. My Tour seems to be running more smoothly on .61, but it's a buggy OS (call ID on incoming calls wasn't working either, but I found a fix kind of buried at the BlackBerry Support Forums).

The patch needs a patch!

UPDATE: I just tried resetting a few custom ring-tones again and I think it worked. I've only been able to test calling my Tour from my home phone, but the custom ring-tone worked...for now.
    Last edited by mededitor; 11-28-09 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Update
    11-28-09 11:19 PM
    Go to profiles on home screen. Scroll to contact alerts and delete the names listed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 12:25 AM
    This also happened to me. I had duplicate custom ringtone contacts in my list. After deleting one of the contacts and the battery pull, this is working just fine.
    11-29-09 05:53 PM
    This seems to have worked for my Verizon Tour with the updated OS (.61).

Yesterday I re-provisioned my phone (*228, option 1) and did a battery pull (a real battery pull, not using QuickPull). I then went to Options (from the phone screen) and Smart Dialing. Under Smart Dialing I changed the National Number Length to 10 (I used to have it at 11)---I left the other options the way I had them set under .40 (ie, Country Code: +1, Area Code: XXX, Use "1" for National Dialing: Yes).

I already had done the other "fixes," like deleting the names under Set Contact Alerts.

I then went and reset custom ring-tones for a few contacts and crossed my fingers. So far I've only been able to test it with phone calls from my home telephone (sadly, no other calls today ), but my Tour rang with the custom ring-tone and the caller ID name showed up on the incoming call screen!

BTW, I went back and changed the National Number Length back to 11 and the Custom Ring-Tones didn't work again. I switched it to 10 again and the Custom Ring-Tones are working again. The National Number Length must be affecting this in some way.

I don't know which of the above fixed the issue for me---assuming that it's a permanent fix, I'll let you know---but it's worth trying. I'm curious to know if this fixes the bug for anyone else.
    Last edited by mededitor; 11-29-09 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added info
    11-29-09 06:07 PM
    Anything more on this? My Contact Alerts seems to be changing. I've deleted the created ones so that the list is empty, then others show up later.
    12-08-09 05:51 PM
    The method I used, above, is still working for me. Nothing new added to my contact list and the custom ring-tones are still working.

I've done battery pulls and even that hasn't changed the settings. Changing the National Number Length to 10 seems to have been a permanent fix for my Tour (running 4.7.1.61).

UPDATE: Out of curiosity, I checked the default ring-tones for contacts who don't have a custom ring-tone set and there is still a problem. The default ring-tone is Ringer_ClassicPhone even though I have something else set as my default ring-tone. Oh well, I guess the "fix" I found only fixed the custom ring-tones and call ID problems, not the default ring-tones.
    Last edited by mededitor; 12-08-09 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Update
    12-08-09 11:12 PM
    UPDATE: Out of curiosity, I checked the default ring-tones for contacts who don't have a custom ring-tone set and there is still a problem. The default ring-tone is Ringer_ClassicPhone even though I have something else set as my default ring-tone. Oh well, I guess the "fix" I found only fixed the custom ring-tones and call ID problems, not the default ring-tones.
    I am having this same issue. I have a custom ringtone that will not ring now because every one of my contacts has defaulted to the ClassicPhone. Is there any way I can set my contacts to ring the 'default ringtone' I have without changing every single one and to always ring my chosen ringtone?

ALSO: I am from Wisconsin, and I must say that after this issue, the poor service I have had from Verizon personnel, and the statewide outage we had last Sunday (12-13-09), I have just about had it with Verizon. Kinda missing Alltel. Just throwing that out there...
    12-16-09 05:33 PM
    What's curious is that even though all of my contacts show "ClassicPhone" as their ring-tone, my Tour is actually using the default ring-tone that I set under Ring Tones/Alerts (ringer from "24").

However, I deleted all of my custom ring-tones because it was just getting way too confusing, so everyone's ring-tone is the same. At least the phone is using the ring-tone that I selected, but still...
    12-16-09 05:45 PM
    What i've noticed is that every time i go into a contact to edit it (add email address, change notes etc), that contact is *always added to the Set Contact Alert list automatically. This of course changes said contacts phone and message alert from what i had it on.

Happens every time!

So whenever i edit any contact i just make sure i go into Profiles-Set Contact Alerts and delete that contact from the list.

Kind of annoying.

12-16-09 05:54 PM
    Okay, another ???? for me. If I remember correctly, when I had my BB 8830, I could go to my Contact List, choose a Contact, and easily view the ring tone (or custom ring-tone) that I had set.

With the Tour, I have to go to the Contact and then choose "Edit Contact." Even then, the ring-tone doesn't show under "Custom Ring Tones/Alerts," I have to highlight and click "Phone" in order to see the ring tone. And then the ring tone is wrong because it says "ClassicRinger," but my Tour is actually using my Custom Ring Tone for everyone (ringer from "24"). But the point is that the ring tones don't seem to show-up the way they used to, which further complicates it all.

I'm assuming that this is an OS 4.7 glitch because it worked fine with OS 4.5 on my previous 8830. I don't know if the ring-tone issue has been fixed with any of the leaked OS 5.0s because I'm sticking to the "official" Verizon version for now.

Still and
    12-16-09 06:04 PM
    As it appears there is no solutions for this problem.

I have a Storm 2 and also have this problem. No choice for "Active Profile"
    12-17-09 12:07 AM
    Go to profiles on home screen. Scroll to contact alerts and delete the names listed.

I tried that, and it didn't help. I still had to go into each contact to MANUALLY set its custom tone to my preferred default.
    12-27-09 02:10 PM
    Verizon and the Tour *suck* when it comes to ringtones!

I had the same problem after upgrading to the new OS. Thought I was losing my mind; no way to remove the custom ring tone from the contacts screen. The tip above worked: Go to Profile (home screen) -> Set Contact Alerts -> and delete each one. Pain in the ***!

Now if only they could get the stupid out of the box ringtone profiles working so I could customize them. Had to make a custom profile for each "mode" I wanted (loud, vibrate, voicemail only, etc.) since I couldn't get the damn email beeps to stop with the out-of-the-box ones. "Smartphone" eh?
    01-01-10 01:28 AM
    P.S. And as chrisy520 said, each time you edit a contact, it gets added to the custom ringtones because there is no selection anymore for "Profile default" and so it gets set to "ClassicPhone" and "Sanguine" for messages.
    01-01-10 01:31 AM
    Wait so, really? There is no fix for this? I have to go through each contact and manually change the custom phone and message alerts, as there is no "active profile" setting? And every time I edit a contact I'll have to again reset both alerts? What kind of upgrade is that?
    01-14-10 01:07 AM
    Same crap happened to me, I have missed calls and sms's because of that update issue

01-14-10 02:45 AM
    So let me get this straight.

In my previous BB, I created a profile titled "DND". This turned off all ringers and vibrates for when I'm sleeping.

I then created a contact list had 4 contacts I wanted to bypass whatever profile I had selected.

This allowed me to set my phone to DND so I could sleep but certain numbers I had set in the contact alerts would still ring through.

If I'm reading right this won't work in tour.

If it does, how do I create exceptions for individual contacts that I want to bypass the active profile?
    Last edited by leesrt; 01-14-10 at 03:52 AM.
    01-14-10 03:49 AM
    I just realized something after going through the users guide. You can't create exception groups like I could on my Pearl. The pearl would allow you to create an exception and assign a group of contacts to it.

Then, no matter what profile you selected, you could scroll down under advanced in the profile menu and select or deselect if you want that exception group to be active and bypass your profile.

This was very convenient since you didn't have to go in and change each contact to use the active profile or not.

Now, if it were working properly, you can create a custom contact alert and assign several contacts to it. You just can't turn the whole group on or off, you have to go into that contact alert phone and mssg settings and switch it to use the active profile. A bit of a pain.

As it stands, none of my changed contact settings work. It doesn't matter if I delete them from the contact alert section or not. It always defaults to my active profile, no matter what I do.

I did discover one thing. Contacts that had custom ringers on my pearl transfered over to my Tour using BB Desktop. Those contacts that transfered over have working custom ringers. If I try to change them on the Tour afterwords it doesn't work, it just defaults to the active profile.
    Does this sound like the same problem or am I missing something?
    Last edited by leesrt; 01-14-10 at 05:35 AM.
    01-14-10 05:18 AM
    What the point of a phone if you cant hear it ring????
    It has a preloaded USCC ringtonethat it insists on using that I cant hear around work so Im missing calls
    I give up with mine.
    01-16-10 07:54 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD