I created a how-to Guide for the most things I had issues with and looked up. Would post it into the How-To/ FAQ but do not have that privilege.

Any other questions you can send me a message or reply to this thread, I'm good at finding out answers and am willing to help as much as I can. I've owned many phones including 4 blackberry's so I am quite familiar with electronics.

BlackBerry How-To-Guide

Installing apps onto blackberry OTA.

First off, go to website of the app you want to download.
    Example: m.google.com/search (Google Mobile App) Certain sites will take you straight to the download, others will require you to click install now.

Once you click install now a new page or pop up should appear giving you an option to download or cancel. It will also show you information on the app such as the size.

Click download, & let it download fully. It will now ask you if you would like to change permissions, click yes. It will automatically change all the permissions it needs your only job is to click the back arrow or menu and click save.

*Note: Not all apps can be trusted, so don’t download apps you do not know about.

Installing apps via PC using OTA website.

Requires: Data USB cable, PC, & Desktop Manger or MicroSD card inserted in phone.

For those who do not have a data plan there are certain apps that don’t require the data feature. But this requires a work around to download the apps without using your browser because some apps don’t have zip files to download via Desktop Manager.

We will start off by going to download OTA Downloader, using this link, http://www.blackberrysoftwarelist.net/ota_files/ota.zip

You will need to save this file to somewhere you can find it, I recommend the desktop. Once downloaded, you must extract it using winzip or winrar. There should now be an icon named OTA Loader where ever you saved the file.

Next step is to open OTA Loader. Under URL to .jad file you will need to insert an OTA download link. Such as this one, http://www.all4berry.com/ota/BerryAddon_46.jad always make sure the OTA link is for your OS. This link is for a app known *** berryaddon & is for 4.6 & Up.

Once you insert the link click download, & let it run its course. Once done, there now should be a folder with files in it, you will need all three.
    If you want to put the files into the device memory, you will need the desktop manager. Go to the media manager and browse to the device memory under my device make sure that the system is set to allow all files to be imported in the device memory. You can also put these files onto your MicroSD card.
    Now that your done with that, go into your Media menu. Click BlackBerry Menu key and select explore. & located where you saved the files. Once located click on the .Jad file and it should now pop up to download or cancel, like what would of popped up if you were on your web browser.
    Once installed you may delete the files off your phone.

Hiding Your sent Messages

To hide your sent messages go into any of your mailboxes, click the Blackberry Menu button and go to options. Scroll down to Hide Sent Messages, By default it will be set to no but you can select it and change it to yes.
    *Note: If you do this, all the sent messages will still be saved to your mailboxes so once you delete your inbox you must unhide your sent messages and delete them also or else they will build up.

Separating your SMS & Email Inboxes

To Separate your SMS & emails go into your messages, click the Blackberry Menu key and go to options. Scroll down to SMS and Email Inboxes, by default it will be set to combined. Select it and click Separate.
    *Note: Some SMS & MMS inboxes are hidden, to unhide this go to Blackberry Menu and click the menu key once again and select “Show all”, then located SMS & MMS inbox and highlight it and hit the menu key and select unhide. Now your inbox is unhidden. To hide your other apps that you hid, click menu key and unselect “show all”.

Unhide Hidden Apps

So you installed an app and can’t find it but you know its still download, well lets make sure first that the app is installed and you didn’t accidentally deleted it.
    To see all installed apps, go to Options>Advance Options>Applications.
    All installed Apps are in that list in alphabetic order.
    If it is installed & you still can’t find it and you checked all your folders it may be hidden, to unhide it you need to located it. Go to your menu and hit the Blackberry Menu key, select “show all” , find it on the menu and hit the menu key again and select “Unhide”.
    * If you cannot find it, it might be time to go a little further and talk to a customer support

Move an app to another folder or menu

Most apps downloaded go into a folder named downloads. If you want to move this app so it’s more of a convenience to you, such as being in the menu. First, start off by locating the app you wish to move. Highlight it, hit the menu key and select “move to folder” and select the folder you wish to move it to or select Home to put it in the Menu.
    Deleting multiple messages out of inboxes
    To select multiple messages highlight the first message you want to delete and then click and hold the shift key and use the scroll key to go up and down to select other messages, once you have the messages selected let go of the shift key and then either hit the back space key or menu key and select delete. Confirm the delete and your done.
    You can also select a message and hit the menu key and click delete prior which will delete the message selected and any messages previous to this message will be deleted.

Changing APN for Service Provider

Some use other BlackBerry’s that are not for their service provider, to use data you will need to change the APN to their service providers. To find your service providers APN information you will need to contact your Provider or search it on google.
    Options>Advance Options>TCP/IP , Certain providers require a Username & Password.
    How to delete Service Books
    Options>Advance Options>Service Books.
    There isn’t a way to delete them all at once but what you need to do is highlight one by one and hitting menu key and selecting delete and confirming. Provisioning cannot be deleted.

How to wipe handheld

Options>Security Options>General Settings
    Once there hit menu key and click wipe handheld. It will give you an option to select third party apps, after you decided whether or not to select continue. It will now have you type blackberry to confirm. Once that is done it will turn off and turn back on and go load up. Once done it will bring you to the set up.
    To wipe fully use JL Commander, but do not use this if your are not familiar with Blackberry.

Dial a number that uses letters.

Example: Navy Federal Credit Union- 1-888-842-NFCU
    To dial this dial the 1-888-842- Next part you need to click and hold the alt key and now type N-F-C-U using your keyboard let go and click call.
    It now should show you calling the number using those letters, after I did this it dialed
    1-888-842-6328

Format Media Card inserted in phone.

Having issues playing music, the issue could be that the Media card is the wrong format. Luckily for you there is a work around, first save all the files to your pc. Then follow the next steps.
    Go to.

Options>Memory

Scroll down to media card and highlight it. Hit Blackberry Menu key and select Format. It will ask you for conformation also letting you know that all data on the card will be destroyed (reason I had you save the things to your pc). Select Yes.
    Now that the Media card is formatted the blackberry will now be able to read the files on it. So you can insert the files to the media card via usb cable or memory card reader.

Check % of battery life remaining

Go to.
    Options>Status.
    2nd line down. Also shows your PIN for Blackberry messenger , IMEI #, & IP Address if connected to wireless network.

Exporting & Importing Contacts To/From SIM

Exporting: Go to contacts, Select the Contact you want to save to your SIM. Only one number per contact can be saved. Highlight the number you want to be saved and hit the BB Menu Key and scroll up to Copy to SIM Phone Book.
    Phone Book Entry Should pop up, all you have to do is click the menu key and select save.
    You could also just go into your SIM Phone Book and add contacts to that.
    Importing: Go to contacts, hit the BB menu and select SIM Phone Book. Then Select Copy all to contacts or if you only want a few you can do that by highlight the ones you want and clicking the Menu key and selecting copy 12535550100 ( Just an example of a number)

How To Delete Apps

Go to.
    Options> Advance Options> Applications

Once there, locate the app you want to remove and higlight it, then press the BB meniu key and select delete.

*Note: Be careful what apps you remove some are required for phone use and might require a reinstall of OS.

How to set an alarm

Locate your clock, on menu or in the applications folder. Once there, click the BB menu key and select set alarm.

Now select the time you want the alarm to go off at. After that you have three choices to set the alarm which are on, weekdays, and off.

ON- Alarm is on and goes off at the time you set everyday.

Weekdays- Alarm is on and goes off at the time you set on weekdays only.

OFF- Alarm is off.

There is also an alarm for those who work during the week and the weekend. You can read how to do this in the alarm in calendar section of my FAQ.

Alarms in Calendar/ Multiple alarms

We will start off by locating you calendar which is usually located on your BlackBerry menu.

Once located, open the calendar and go to the date when you want to start the alarm. Then hit the BB menu key and select new alarm.

Now you will need to insert a subject for the alarm and set the time of the alarm. If you only need an alarm for this day, you can then hit the menu key and click save, but for those who want multiple alarms you will now go down to reccurrance which will be to none by default.

Use the trackball to highlight and select "none" and select one of the choices that correspond to what your trying to set.

Daily- alarm will go off everday
    Weekly- alarm will go off everyday you select once a week.
    Monthly-alarm will go off once a month on the day you choose.
    Yearly-alarm will go off once a year on the month and day you choose.

On any option you have the choice to skip days,weeks,months, or years.
    Ex: if you selected months but the reccurrance only happens every other month you would select 2 as it will happen every two months.

Once this is selected you will now choose when you want the reccurrance to stop. You do this by enter a future date.

If you selected weekly you will have the choice to select the day you want the alarm to go off, this is great for those with awkward schedules for work.

Also if you selected monthly or yearly you have an option "relative to date" which means the alarm will go off by the month and day of the week, so if you need to pay a bill every first monday of the month you would select the first monday and set the alarm and check that box.

How to add a contact in BlackBerry Messenger

BBM* BlackBerry Messenger

Go to your BlackBerry Messenger, in Newer BB's it will be in the IM+ folders. If you do not have it installed see my install BlackBerry Messenger FAQ.

Once in BBM*, You will need to hit the menu key and use the trackball to select "Add Contact" now depending on your version of BBM you will be able to add a contact using different methods, I will describe both methods that are able to be used on BBM 5.0, which are using PIN/Email Address & Scanning Barcodes.

For the first way you will either need the contacts PIN(Can be found in Options>Status) or the BB Device Email. Enter either of these in the field that it ask for, now you can write a message which the contact you are trying to add can read, then Click Send.

The other option is scanning bar codes but this will require you to have BBM 5.0. You will need to have access to the contacts bar code to scan, once you have it select "Scan Invitation barcode from another blackberry" & a camera like feature should appear.

Point the camera at the icon until it registers, it will then automatically add the contact but you still must wait for the contact to accept.

What is a .Jad File?

.Jad files are used to download apps using OTA, these files cannot be inserted onto the BB via DM. Refer to "Installing apps via PC using OTA website" of this guide to learn how.

Tricks

Message Tricks

Reply- While Reading a message Hit the “R” Key to reply

Top/Bottom- While in the inboxes of your messages hit the “T” key for top & “B” for bottom.

Page by Page- While in the inboxes hit “Space” key to go page by page.

Caps Lock- Hit “Alt” key then hit the right “ Shift” key.

Insert Period- Hit space twice to insert period

BlackBerry Tricks

Restart Blackberry W/O Battery Pull- Push & Hold Following Keys :Alt, Right Shift, & delete

Enter Stand-By Mode- Hold Mute key for 3-5 seconds

Access Open Apps- Hold BlackBerry Menu Key for 3 Seconds

Hide Apps- Highlight app hit Blackberry Menu Key and select “Hide” ( Ensure “Show All” isn’t selected.)

Change signal bars to decibels- Press & hold Alt key & press the following N,M,L,L (repeat to switch back)

Send your PIN Via SMS/Email- Compose a message, & write MYPIN, text will change to your PIN.

Shortcut Keys & Extra Tips

Insert period- Hit Space Bar Twice

Turn Vibrate Mode On/Off- Hold the letter "Q"

Jump to the start or end of a line of text- Alt + Scroll

Select Text- Right Shift+ Scrolling

Copy Selected Text- Alt+Pushing in trackball or Trackpad

Paste Copied Text- Right Shift + Pushing in Trackball or Trackpad

T- Moves you to top of page or list

B- Moves you to bottom of page or list

Holding Down Menu- Shortcut to running applications
    Last edited by rlacsamana19; 01-25-10 at 07:19 PM.
    09-07-09 12:07 AM
    Nice FAQ. Wouldn't mind seeing this posted in the FAQ sections, as there is a lot of great info for new users who don't like to use the search feature of the site.
    09-07-09 03:30 AM
    Nice FAQ. Wouldn't mind seeing this posted in the FAQ sections, as there is a lot of great info for new users who don't like to use the search feature of the site.
    Yeah thats what I'm trying to get, also trying to add to it. I have it saved on my computer and trying to think of other thing people have an issue with.
    09-07-09 12:22 PM
    any other big questions that I can look for let me know.
    Last edited by rlacsamana19; 09-07-09 at 06:46 PM.
    09-07-09 06:35 PM
    Very good information. Thank you for sharing.
    09-07-09 06:47 PM
    updated. Check out the new tricks.
    09-08-09 11:53 PM
    any other big questions that I can look for let me know.
    I'm trying to send pics to other individuals who have different phones/providers. When they get my text mail, it says it has to download the picture from the website. How can I fix that?
    09-17-09 03:23 PM
    is this for all BB ?
    I have an old 7520 (boost mobile) and hopefully getting a 7290 for Europe GSM

VW
    09-19-09 07:33 PM
    Hey,
    i'm just getting started with Installing apps via PC using OTA website.
    i have the cable and a mirco SD card in my phone. i have a blackberry pearl 8110.
    I got through this part-
    We will start off by going to download OTA Downloader, using this link,

You will need to save this file to somewhere you can find it, I recommend the desktop. Once downloaded, you must extract it using winzip or winrar. There should now be an icon named OTA Loader where ever you saved the file.

Next step is to open OTA Loader. Under URL to .jad file you will need to insert an OTA download link. Such as this one, always make sure the OTA link is for your OS. This link is for a app known *** berryaddon & is for 4.6 & Up.

Once you insert the link click download, & let it run its course. Once done, there now should be a folder with files in it, you will need all three.

- but can't firgure it out from there
    what is the desktop manager?
    media manager?
    how do i put them on my mirco SD card?

any help with this would be sweet.

thanks
    confused new user
    09-19-09 11:41 PM
    Good stuff!
    09-29-09 09:52 AM
    Thanks for the post!
    09-29-09 05:22 PM
    Great post. I could have used this when I first had my BB.
    09-29-09 05:38 PM
    Thank you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 06:25 PM
    Change title to compiled, not complied.

10-01-09 06:53 PM
    I enjoyed your post, the information was very helpful. I am wondering if you have any information on calendars, I recently got a tour to replace my curve, it brought over my curve calender eventhough I set up a new calender and email addy for my blackberry. How do I delete my old curve calendar?

Thanks for the information
    Monique
    10-07-09 03:06 PM
    Thanks! I'm very new to this. Can you tell me if there is a way to add more icons from the home page to the to the main/front page?? I seem to remember at the verizon store that you could scroll horizontally through multiple icons at the main page?????
    10-07-09 08:58 PM
    Hey,
    i'm just getting started with Installing apps via PC using OTA website.
    i have the cable and a mirco SD card in my phone. i have a blackberry pearl 8110.
    I got through this part-
    We will start off by going to download OTA Downloader, using this link,

Next step is to open OTA Loader. Under URL to .jad file you will need to insert an OTA download link. Such as this one, always make sure the OTA link is for your OS. This link is for a app known *** berryaddon & is for 4.6 & Up.

- but can't firgure it out from there
    what is the desktop manager?
    media manager?
    how do i put them on my mirco SD card?

any help with this would be sweet.

thanks
    confused new user
    Sorry for such a late post. Haven't been on the site due to traveling. Okay well lets start with this.

Desktop Manager is what you install on your pc/laptop. The disc that came with your phone if you do not have the disc don't worry as you can download it at blackberry's website.

To put things on your microSD card you can do it the simple way and use a card reader but most of those require you have an SD adapter. I've seen some that don't, plug it in and find it in your my computer section.

To do it from your phone you need to plug your phone in via usb. and when prompted it will ask you to put your phone into mass storage mode, click yes. it will also be located on your my computer section.

Any other questions just let me know.
    10-09-09 01:21 AM
    I'm trying to send pics to other individuals who have different phones/providers. When they get my text mail, it says it has to download the picture from the website. How can I fix that?
    This is on their end. The phone/ provider they are using requires them to go to a website to view a picture sent. Test this out by sending a picture to another blackberry or smart phones. Some feature phones and other phones will allow them to view without going to the link.
    10-09-09 01:23 AM
    is this for all BB ?
    I have an old 7520 (boost mobile) and hopefully getting a 7290 for Europe GSM

VW
    From the few blackberrys I have owned most of the layouts were similar how ever i have not owned either of the ones you have listed.

Best thing to do is to find similar guides for the phones you are using. This guide is best used for BB's with 4.5 & up OS.

Blackberrys Owned: 8900, 9530, 8320, & 8100.
    10-09-09 01:27 AM
    Change title to compiled, not complied.

That wasn't even me who wrote that title. Mine said something different but a mod edited it I guess.
    10-09-09 01:29 AM
    Would you happen to know the codes for bbm that make the open heart and star symbols?

10-11-09 05:37 PM
    Thanks for the info

10-11-09 08:17 PM
    Would you happen to know the codes for bbm that make the open heart and star symbols?

Not trying to be mean at all, actually trying to show some tips on how i research items I don't know about because it is very useful.

Go to google and type in Blackberry Messenger and symbols and just read articles one is bound to have some awnsers like this one :P

Mini 101: How To Get Symbols In Blackberry Messenger | CrackBerry.com

But yeah most of the answers i have posted on here are pretty much by using google or using the forum.
    10-11-09 11:58 PM
    Thanks for the info

Hope you enjoy your Blackberry!
    10-11-09 11:59 PM
    I really benefited from this post, thanks for the time put into it.
    10-12-09 12:39 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD