09-14-13 01:55 PM
601 ... 56789 ...
tools
    i just have a quick question im about to purchase the bold and ive heard that carriers can restrict wifi connections or control wifi in some way and the only way to remove the restrictions is through complicated process using software is this true?
    08-25-08 08:04 PM
    i just have a quick question im about to purchase the bold and ive heard that carriers can restrict wifi connections or control wifi in some way and the only way to remove the restrictions is through complicated process using software is this true?
    I have no personal experience with the Bold, Javelin, KickStart or Thunder. I cannot give you a solid answer and tell you one way or another how this will work.

I can only assume it will work as it does currently, but I could very well be wrong.
    08-25-08 08:21 PM
    im sorry if youve answered this before but can a wireless provider restrict access to wifi all i see is att doing this but does rogers do it as well. And if they do restrict wifi usage what are the usual restrictions that wireless providers put on these phones.
    PS Awesome post and thx for the quick reply
    08-25-08 08:42 PM
    No, wireless providers generally do not "restrict" the WiFi...

I am not exactly sure what you mean by that. TMobile and Rogers have UMA capability, where-as ATT does not. ATT can still use the WiFi function, just not UMA.
    08-25-08 08:44 PM
    aiight you appeased my fears. A cellphone vendor told me that wireless providers restrict wifi and that kinda got me scared. But from what im getting they dont do that so thats what i needed to know
    08-25-08 08:50 PM
    make no mention of the VPN, only the UMA.I am on the network, but browser on the BB won't connect. I get an uncaught exception, invisable node cannot be made current window. What the heck in the VPN anyways?
    08-29-08 04:08 PM
    Somebody know how can I install WAP service book, because i only browse with the wi-fi connection. Or somebody know how can i return to the last OS version, I had installed OS 4.2.2.180 and i update to OS 4.2.2.184 in my BB 8320, since the update i cant browse with my mobile network.
    08-31-08 03:45 PM
    Nice post!

One foot note on the WI-FI configuration. Depending on the router's security configuration you may need to enter the MAC Address of the BB device as well as the security key. For the 8820 this can be found @ <Options><Status><WLAN MAC>.

This generally isn't an issue and if its your own router you generally know if you have to do this step. However, if you scan for a open network(s) and you can't connect (i.e. friend's/Family's House) it they could require device identifcation.

Aaron
    09-01-08 12:09 AM
    I am at school. it says on front screen
    T-Mobile- and then it says the wireless network. Im at a University and i KNOW it has a signal. But when i get into areas with low tmo signal, its not switching over to the wifi like it should. I don't have this problem if i walk into my uncles house (he has LYNKSYS) or when i go home. Just when i come to school.

the phone says its connected but when my signal gets low, it doesn't use the wifi.What gives??
    09-02-08 05:31 PM
    I am at school. it says on front screen
    T-Mobile- and then it says the wireless network. Im at a University and i KNOW it has a signal. But when i get into areas with low tmo signal, its not switching over to the wifi like it should. I don't have this problem if i walk into my uncles house (he has LYNKSYS) or when i go home. Just when i come to school.

the phone says its connected but when my signal gets low, it doesn't use the wifi.What gives??
    This issue may very well be related to the configuration of your University's WiFi network!

Unfortunately, these little buggers can be a pain... and I know this from experience. Luckily, I was able to get my Berry to work with WiFi on campus-wide WiFi... I can even connect to UMA.

You would configure the WiFi the same as any other network and make sure you use the appropriate security settings. Also, make sure you go into the WiFi Profile Settings and enable "Inter-Access Point Handover"

The key thing is to make sure your security is correct and that you have that option enabled! This keeps the connection on any of the campus-wide access points, as opposed to the original one you configged your device on.

Post back with other questions and let us know specific error code numbers if you have them...
    09-02-08 05:37 PM
    will have bussiness BlackBerry 8830 from my work, unfortunatly some security policy cause that WiFi will be disable [i don't how they do that software/hardware]. is there anybody how it can be done and how to undo changes without WiFi live is boring
    09-02-08 05:58 PM
    @ pp56825 : you cannot use WiFi on a 8830, sorry it is not capable to be done since it is lacking needed hardware!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-08 06:04 PM
    @ pp56825 : you cannot use WiFi on a 8830, sorry it is not capable to be done since it is lacking needed hardware!

As i know it have WiFi on board, anyway i can have any of BB model with WiFi but they tell me that it will be disabled
    09-02-08 06:08 PM
    As i know it have WiFi on board, anyway i can have any of BB model with WiFi but they tell me that it will be disabled
    There is no possible way that an 8830 model has WiFi. Unless you are telling me the wrong model, I stand by my previous statement
    09-02-08 06:13 PM
    My bad, it is 8820.
    09-02-08 06:27 PM
    I have it set to no security.

09-03-08 10:49 AM
    *getting frustrated* I feel slow.
    09-03-08 01:45 PM
    But, does the campus WiFi use security or not?!

Try clearing browser cache and cookies, delete the WiFi profile and then re-add it

See if any of that helps!

09-03-08 01:50 PM
    Im not sure. I sent an email to them though asking if they do. When i get a response i will let you know!!
    09-03-08 01:54 PM
    bah!they have no idea. the problem is that there is an authentication site that should come up when you browse that im not getting.
    09-03-08 02:35 PM
    fixed it!!!!!!!!!!! I forced my browser my making wifi only. this allowed the phone to "have" to try and browse and in turn brought up the authentication page that would not come up before. Now I am set.

only issue now is, my school is switching a bunch of ish next week and i might have to reconfigure all over again..lol
    09-03-08 02:38 PM
    Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Previously, I was dropping calls just walking around my house. Now, I can start a call in my home over WiFi, get in my car, drive away, and never drop the call.

It doesn't handoff to Wifi, but from WiFi it works great.
    09-04-08 10:20 AM
    D_Town : glad you got that worked out

dsapp : glad you enjoyed the guide and got everything configured!! I appreciate the compliments

09-04-08 10:36 AM
    The guide looks amazing man! Have a few q's for you:

1. How do I know when I'm making a WiFi call vs a call over the network?
    2. Do these minutes on WiFi count towards my monthly minutes?? I really hope not since I'm not even using a providers network for the call.
    09-04-08 11:52 AM
    The guide looks amazing man! Have a few q's for you:

1. How do I know when I'm making a WiFi call vs a call over the network?
    2. Do these minutes on WiFi count towards my monthly minutes?? I really hope not since I'm not even using a providers network for the call.
    1) When you are connected to UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access), all of your data and calls are being used over Wifi

2) The minutes on WiFi are billed as normal and count against the minutes on your plan. This is the case, because you actually are still connected to your carrier and are using their network for the call... you are just connecting via WiFi instead of through the cell tower. You are still connected into the carrier's network and are using the same airtime, data, etc

Check the FAQ section of my guide, and you will find some more answers to questions you may have
    09-04-08 12:53 PM
601 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD