Okay, for anyone who is following/will follow my UMA issues, I'm happy to report I'm using 4.5.0.69 and UMA calling works pretty flawlessly. But as expected, the BT feature is pretty much useless now. I got one good call out before the phone stuttered and sputtered and lost the call, locked up and then came back to life after a few minutes of strange unresponsiveness.

Well, I guess I'm caught up to the rest of you now at least. We all share the same problem, which is better than having my own single issue.

thanks to all who helped, suggested and followed. Now to find the BT fix...

To be continued...
    09-19-08 01:33 AM
    Okay, for anyone who is following/will follow my UMA issues, I'm happy to report I'm using 4.5.0.69 and UMA calling works pretty flawlessly. But as expected, the BT feature is pretty much useless now. I got one good call out before the phone stuttered and sputtered and lost the call, locked up and then came back to life after a few minutes of strange unresponsiveness.

Well, I guess I'm caught up to the rest of you now at least. We all share the same problem, which is better than having my own single issue.

thanks to all who helped, suggested and followed. Now to find the BT fix...

To be continued...
    I have been following your "adventure" fairly closely... and I am glad my suggestion to upgrade fixed your prior issues (as I assumed it would)

Stick with it, because I am sure an official release will fix the dreaded BlueTooth and WiFi conundrum. Actually, .81 and .82 Betas should be leaked soon... but getting our hands on it may prove to be another adventure!

On top of that, official OS 4.5 releases in the US should be popping up sooner or later Glad you are partically running now!
    09-19-08 05:06 PM
    I am wondering if anyone has a solution to this issue...
    ATT is my carrier, with no data plan. I have an 8320 running OS4.5.

The 8320 is set to 'wifi preferred'.
    Under 'wifi only' the phone will not make a call, as expected.

The issue...
    I can surf the net fine anywhere when on wifi. But... without a wifi connection I can still surf but it goes through the pay-by-the-use $.01 per kb ATT connection.

I would prefer to suppress the ATT data connection completely, having any attempt to use a surfing-type feature fail instead of using the non-wifi connection.

In other words...
    When I have a wifi connection...
    - I do not care what route calls and text messages take.
    - Other data features should go over wifi
    When I have no wifi connection...
    - Calls and text messages should use the ATT connection
    - Other data features should fail

Any suggestions? I have tweaked most of the settings I can find without success. I would hate to need the data plan to avoid inadvertent non-wifi data charges.

For reference... ATT's 'pay by the use' data fee is $10 per MB... laughably expensive. Pulling up a single web page by accident outside of wifi range could be a $15 charge without a data plan.
    09-21-08 10:55 AM
    How do I know if I am using wifi or my phone to get on the web. The icon that shows the bars there are arrows working back an forth.The wifi icon does not change. I have a data plan, but not blackberry.
    Thanks
    Jack
    09-23-08 03:07 PM
    thanks that does help me alot, great info
    09-23-08 07:36 PM
    I have the 8320 BB. My network consists of the T-Mobile WRTU54G-TM connected to the ethernet port of a 2Wire gateway thourgh AT&T. I get a "Call Failed" message when placeing or receiving call on the UMA network. Tech support is not sure why that happens. Can anyone help resolve this?
    09-24-08 06:33 PM
    I have the 8320 BB. My network consists of the T-Mobile WRTU54G-TM connected to the ethernet port of a 2Wire gateway thourgh AT&T. I get a "Call Failed" message when placeing or receiving call on the UMA network. Tech support is not sure why that happens. Can anyone help resolve this?
    I have configured a TMobile Hotspot@Home router for use with a 2Wire gateway with success. You need to make sure that the 2Wire gateway from AT&T is set to DMZ mode for your router.

This is done through the Homeportal configuration on the 2Wire Homeportal

Once this is done, then everything should work as expected. Right now, the routers are not communicating correctly with each other... or so I assume.

Hope that helps!!
    09-24-08 10:33 PM
    Is WiFi available on the 8700c? If this has been asked before I apologize.
    09-30-08 02:23 PM
    i have read through this thread and not sure if this question should be asked here but, i am lost...is a psk the same as your password? i am trying to access my wifi at home and when asked for the psk, i enter my password but i end up getting a message that tells me it was unable to authenticate. am i doing something wrong?
    10-07-08 08:01 AM
    I have BB curve 8320 with default T-mobile 4.2 OS...

I've been able to get on UMA with my home router but when I'm at school, I get connected to WiFi but no UMA

As far as Security settings are concerned, the IT Rep I spoke to says that the school's wireless network doesn't block anything...

I do have have Inter-Acces Handover checked in the WiFi settings..

When I get prompted to enter my Username and Password to authenticate my phone and type in my credentials, it doesn't authenticate successfully. I tried authenticating with a Windows Mobile Smartphone and it authenticated successfully. Is it possible that the BB browser is not supported by the network? or do I need to upgrade my OS?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.
    10-10-08 09:10 PM
    i can connect to my wireless router from home, ive talked on my phone but somehow used up my minutes. So im not sure if my phone is using my wireless router. How can i check to see if my wifi calling is going thru.
    10-13-08 04:23 PM
    Hello.. I don't know if this is where I should ask this question.. Here goes tho..In traveling with my TMO 8320 most airports have a free wifi that for all should, at least, most of them, connect up and give a free voip talk path.. What gives with this .. I have been in 10 airports this last year that I have yet been able to connect up with for free calls on my BB.. I thought that the HS@H service included these as well as the FedEx/Kinko, Barnes & Noble, Borders, and Starbucks..I have no trouble connecting to those, but airports and free wifi at McDonalds and some hotels on open data routers are a no go..
    10-17-08 04:08 PM
    Thank you very much for this informative guide.

I have a question. According to this information wifi in my blackberry would not work with ATT without a data plan, which is actually the case with me (I have my own phone device). Should wifi work, though, when I pull out the sim card and try browsing? I can't get this to work at all even without a sim card in the phone. The phone gets on the wifi network (with or without a sim card) and I can ping its IP address, but I cannot ping/see anything from the phone...

Any ideas?
    10-24-08 03:30 PM
    i can connect to my wireless router from home, ive talked on my phone but somehow used up my minutes. So im not sure if my phone is using my wireless router. How can i check to see if my wifi calling is going thru.
    I don't think voice calls can use wifi. Data connections can go through it, but I doubt voice can, unless you use some voice-over-ip type of software on the phone...
    10-24-08 03:33 PM
    Did all the changes on 8120, now cant connect to the internet over my data plan always asks to connet to tmobile hot spot. What have i done wrong!
    10-25-08 01:58 PM
    I dont think this works for the 8320... i tried! lol
    when ur in broser configuration and you change it to hot spot, it will never stay... no matter how many times u go back in, it is always back to t-zones
    11-01-08 08:24 PM
    I have a Bold and my WiFi turned off all of a sudden. Now I can't turn it on.
    Has anyone else seen this problem? How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Stephen P.
    11-03-08 12:07 PM
    If you add Hotspot@Home to your family plan, all lines on the plan with WiFi capability are able to make unlimited calls over UMA for free
    Do you have to purchase the Hotspot@home to have free calls over wifi? My fiance has a Pearl 8120 and is connected to our wifi network and still makes calls.
    11-14-08 08:56 AM
    Do you have to purchase the Hotspot@home to have free calls over wifi? My fiance has a Pearl 8120 and is connected to our wifi network and still makes calls.
    yes you have to have @home service to make free calls.
    that would be just too good to be true if you could have unlimited calling from your cell over the tmobile network and just a wifi connection. at least you can have free wifi that's cool enough in my book.
    11-14-08 05:34 PM
    There may be some restriction on the device that causes this. I have not heard of this specific problem, but have you done any of the WiFi diagnostics for both circumstances to see if there are any altercations??

ATT may have some restriction that does not allow the WiFi to work with the mobile network deactivated. (Anyone using ATT with the 8820 care to confirm?) Either way, with your mobile network off you would not be able to receive any calls, etc. since your only connection would be WiFi.

Get back with more details and we can try to troubleshoot further
    Any limitations w.r.t. WPA2-PSK encryption? Home network found, SSID entered and correct Pre-Shared Key (PSK) entered resulting in "Unable to Connect Reason: Unknown network failure..." 8820 ATT
    11-14-08 10:33 PM
    My Bold was working great with wifi until i upgraded to firmware 185. Now i can see my home wifi (WPA-PSK) but i am unable to connect. Running the diag i get an error in the status "Device failed to associate ..." .

Any clues ?
    11-17-08 08:47 AM
    My Bold was working great with wifi until i upgraded to firmware 185. Now i can see my home wifi (WPA-PSK) but i am unable to connect. Running the diag i get an error in the status "Device failed to associate ..." .

Any clues ?
    First thing I would try is removing the wifi setting for your local network and the re-adding it.
    11-18-08 11:50 AM
    Well i did a whole bunch of removal of settings, adding again, removing the WPA and then it went into a reboot loop. The only way out was to switch off the router and then when the phone was ready to use, switch off the wifi in the phone. Now its working but the minute i switch on the wifi it starts rebooting again.

Perhaps i should install 190 now.
    11-19-08 05:31 AM
    Any limitations w.r.t. WPA2-PSK encryption? Home network found, SSID entered and correct Pre-Shared Key (PSK) entered resulting in "Unable to Connect Reason: Unknown network failure..." 8820 ATT
    Finally got it to work even after receiving an error. I perservered after receiving the message that the PSK was incorrect. I got my notebook working, wiped the PSK from the notebook sent it to the 8820, selected the PSK, entered it and ignored errors. However, it did take a min or two for the D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) to register it. Don't give up easily, keep trying.
    11-19-08 12:59 PM
    [*]Q: My carrier is ATT and I have a WiFi device. Why can I not connect using WiFi?

A: One possible reason why you cannot connect using WiFi is that ATT restricts WiFi use to devices with data plans only. If you do not have a data plan on your line, you will not be able to use WiFi to access data. Sorry for any inconvenience!

[[/size][/CENTER]

Sorry if I'm a little dense here, but does this apply if you have an 8320 unlocked (originally TMo) curve?
    How exactly does at&t do this, and can you remove the sim card and use the wifi functions that way (for browsing)?
    11-23-08 12:51 AM
601 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD