Hi,

I just got my Blackberry Bold and i can't seem to get the wi-fi to work. I've been through your instructions a bunch of times and tried connecting to various locations but nothing. It just says 'unable to connect reason: failed to obtain an IP address. I called Rogers but they couldn't help me so i went back to the store i bought it from and they installed the latest software but still nothing. I reset my own router but it still won't connect. Do you have any other suggestions for me?

I was really excited to get it but now i'm disappointed and discouraged because it's not fully able to do what i want.

Thanks in advance =)
    09-04-08 09:11 PM
    Hi
    I just bought a Blackberry 8320 from T Mobile UNLOCKED .
    When I connect with wifi it get connected but does not work the connection and I can see under Wi-Fi connection intead of a green check mark a yellow stop mark, like a warning .
    I try in different locations with wi-fi connection and never work.
    Can somebody help ?
    Thank you
    09-05-08 04:16 PM
    Hi
    I just bought a Blackberry 8320 from T Mobile UNLOCKED .
    When I connect with wifi it get connected but does not work the connection and I can see under Wi-Fi connection intead of a green check mark a yellow stop mark, like a warning .
    I try in different locations with wi-fi connection and never work.
    Can somebody help ?
    Thank you
    I started having this same issue yesterday after using WiFi flawlessly for over 3 weeks. I have tried deleting the connection and start all over, but still having the issue.
    09-06-08 10:11 AM
    Elebe1:

I am not sure if you already received some help, but what I did was reset my router. That should do the trick.
    09-08-08 10:36 AM
    thank you rly helped
    09-08-08 01:08 PM
    I didn't think of restarting my router. Good looking out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-08 04:45 AM
    You are welcome!
    09-13-08 09:03 AM
    This guide has been most helpful. Question, I have a T-Mo 8320 curve and wi-fi is good to go most of the time. Occassionaly, I am able to locate and save a profile and a wi-fi signal (the provider's name shows up at the top) but it won't lock in the uma. I am on a hotel wi-fi, it shows open, but I need a user name and password, which I have, for my laptop to work. I tried to manually add the wi-fi network, but it never prompts me for the user name and password. It shows up, but no uma. I am running 4.2.2.180 - could it be the N versus G router issue? If it is a redirect issue, can I get around it. Thanks!
    09-14-08 12:25 AM
    Problem:

TMO 8320 w 39.99 plan and 9.99 unlimited H@H

UMA calling works at Hotspots such as starbucks, however calls immediately fail at home.

I read here that my OS was the problem (.180) so I installed .184, but there is no change. TMO just refers me to Belkin (my Wireless N router mfg), however I'm reluctant to call them--they are in India and have not helped me troubleshoot very well in the past.

Any advice for getting my phone to work with my wireless router?

Thanks!
    09-14-08 07:47 PM
    I think maybe the problem is with my router signal strength. I'm getting in the high 70s to mid 80s and every time I drop a call, the green circle changes to a yellow dash in the menu.
    09-14-08 09:34 PM
    I think maybe the problem is with my router signal strength. I'm getting in the high 70s to mid 80s and every time I drop a call, the green circle changes to a yellow dash in the menu.
    Nah, scratch that. I just put the browser through a pretty rigorous test and it is blazing fast. I downloaded handango in about 15 seconds, and tested several sites in the bookmark file--they all loaded quickly with no problems.

Sigh, it's just the UMA calling that is the problem. Lol, Jeez, I guess I'll just keep talking to myself in this thread to make myself feel better. Better than yelling at the wife or kicking the cat, I guess.
    09-14-08 09:52 PM
    Five, sorry I did not get back to you sooner about your issues

Nobody is meaning to ignore you... I am sure. Have you done any of the troubleshooting steps outlined in this guide? I really suspect that the issue is coming from the fact that you are using Wireless-N WiFi. I know that the Browser still works fine and that it is UMA having problems... but that might be a possible cause.

Also, have you tried power-cycling both router and device?

Hope that gets you a good start!!
    09-14-08 10:26 PM
    Five, sorry I did not get back to you sooner about your issues

Nobody is meaning to ignore you... I am sure. Have you done any of the troubleshooting steps outlined in this guide? I really suspect that the issue is coming from the fact that you are using Wireless-N WiFi. I know that the Browser still works fine and that it is UMA having problems... but that might be a possible cause.

Also, have you tried power-cycling both router and device?

Hope that gets you a good start!!

Haha, thanks for saving me from myself!

Yep, I did all the steps (that applied to me) in the first few posts here--the exceptions being the pages that are still under construction as I don't have the TMO router. I reset my router, my modem (twice) and powercycled the phone a few times (after upgrading the OS). I know the problem lies in my router too, I just can't find it!! I'm tempted to drive down the street and find an open network and see if I can get one to work--I suspect most folks don't have N in my 'hood.

Still frustrated, Any help you can give is appreciated.
    09-14-08 10:31 PM
    I've tried every channel on my router, both with and without the 40 mhz enabled, and nothing really changes my issue. It seems like every time I make a UMA call, it stops the wifi , drops the call, and reverts back to edge, which as another source of frustration, my edge calls are now dropping too where they were fine before this. Urgh!
    09-15-08 12:15 AM
    Well, after more investigating, it seems that most folks using the Belkin product (not the N, specifically) are having loads of trouble with UMA calling. I guess the next step is to try OS 4.5 beta...
    09-15-08 09:10 AM
    Did you happen to read the PM I sent you yesterday? I should have made a note within this thread saying "PM Sent" or something along those lines...

But I sent you a PM regarding these issues!
    09-15-08 09:21 AM
    I had two in there and didn't realize it.
    09-15-08 09:26 AM
    Hello

Great thread ! Read every single page but found no answer to my query.

Using 8320 with UMA. 4.5.x.55 without issues.
    Everything is great usually, but some days I would find that UMA does not work. Wifi works ok. Just UMA does not work.
    Been trying to figure out this random issue for months....

Till recently we figured that my when my son is at home with his Nokia UMA phone... his phone works and mine does not. Today was another example... he gets first into the house so his phone always would register first....

Today I did test and turned his off... mine was not working right away after that, but it did eventually after I reset router one more time (1st to use channel 2 and then to force G only... both tips from reading this marvelous guide)

So now mine works perfect.... I then turn my son's Nokia phone on and his does not work !

So the big question:
    Does UMA allow multiple phones to work under same router?

One more data point:
    I am using WRT54G with Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std
    I have WMM support enabled and No ack disabled in the Wireless - Advanced Settings.
    09-15-08 08:28 PM
    www<dot>dd-wrt<dot>com/wiki/index.php/UMA

Replace <dot> with an actual dot -> .
    09-15-08 09:41 PM
    OP -

Thanks *so* much for the clarity. ESPECIALLY thanks for explaining / confirming the at&t "no data plan = no wifi" conundrum. Dang! I was looking to skate on by!

Well - now we all know... Best regards!
    09-15-08 10:58 PM
    Hello

Great thread ! Read every single page but found no answer to my query.

Using 8320 with UMA. 4.5.x.55 without issues.
    Everything is great usually, but some days I would find that UMA does not work. Wifi works ok. Just UMA does not work.
    Been trying to figure out this random issue for months....

Till recently we figured that my when my son is at home with his Nokia UMA phone... his phone works and mine does not. Today was another example... he gets first into the house so his phone always would register first....

Today I did test and turned his off... mine was not working right away after that, but it did eventually after I reset router one more time (1st to use channel 2 and then to force G only... both tips from reading this marvelous guide)

It is a good idea to do a Site Survery and reduce any interference, which it seems as if you have. Keep in mind that neighbor's WiFi, cordless phones and even microwave ovens can cause connection issues

So now mine works perfect.... I then turn my son's Nokia phone on and his does not work !

So the big question:
    Does UMA allow multiple phones to work under same router?

Yes! It does... so I am not sure what the issue currently is. I would tweak your DD-WRT settings and make sure everything is matching up properly. I have used 4 UMA devices on the same router without any problems.

One more data point:
    I am using WRT54G with Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std
    I have WMM support enabled and No ack disabled in the Wireless - Advanced Settings.
    Hey, hopefully we can get you all cleared up. I am familiar with the DD-WRT router firmware for your router and I am familiar with the router itself!

I actually have not used DD-WRT in conjunction with UMA, so you may want to check out these links and adjust your settings accordinly

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...uma-curve.html
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...54g-v-2-a.html
    8320 Tmo Linksys Router Setting: How to Improve Your UMA - PinStack.com Forums

Also, if I remember correctly, OS 4.5.0.55 was not the most stable release for use with UMA. I know a number of people were still experiencing issues with that Beta
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 09-16-08 at 11:02 AM.
    09-16-08 10:57 AM
    Update. I just spoke with a TMO tech who read me verbatim an internal memo that states there is a known issue with all Blackberry products and Belkin routers where UMA is concerned.

Apparently, I need to find .338 or higher to fix this problem. I am currently considering my options since 4.5.x.52+ seem to have its own UMA issues.

Sigh, why do these problems always find me? Why?
    09-17-08 01:23 AM
    @Five : sorry to hear about your issues

I know that OS 4.5 addressed a number of WiFi details... so I feel it is worth the upgrade! try to get your hans on .69 and it is the most stable release I have used so far.

Beware that if you use UMA and BlueTooth you may have issues, but it is the most stable other than that once nuiance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-08 01:27 AM
    I use my BB w BT for both communicating (jawbone) and for music (A2DP--Keyocera HS300), so I don't think I will be going with 4.5 but rather the .338 release of 4.2. I will definitely give them both a whirl though, to see which is best. I used .69 with my 8310, so I know how stable it is with that platform.

I'll update this thread with my findings, however it maybe next week.
    09-17-08 01:48 AM
    to the poster who was in the hotel, try putting it on WIFI only and then trying a few times to open up a webpage. if you can get the log in page of the hotel and type that in and then try to get it to load on the bb you may have some luck.

when i am at school this is what i have to do. i load up my school page and it kinda forces the phone to go to the log in page. i put in my info and THEN im on wifi and uma.
    09-18-08 11:23 AM
601 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD