anyone with a 9000 and doesn't have the Connection Preference option how did you fix it? All the sudden I don't have it.. Have no clue how to fix it. any help would be great.
    12-03-10 11:11 AM
    Mine is 9700 and also doesn't have the Connection Preference Option. If I have WIFI connected, how do I make sure it is using WIFI and not GPRS to connect to internet? I tried switch off the DATA SERVICES in the Mobile Network Options. But WIFI also doesn't work with Data Services switched off. Any help? Thanks.
    12-07-10 10:43 PM
    Mine is 9700 and also doesn't have the Connection Preference Option. If I have WIFI connected, how do I make sure it is using WIFI and not GPRS to connect to internet? I tried switch off the DATA SERVICES in the Mobile Network Options. But WIFI also doesn't work with Data Services switched off. Any help? Thanks.
    Turn off the Mobile Network until the icon turns white, then turn it back on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-10 10:46 PM
    Turn off the Mobile Network until the icon turns white, then turn it back on.

Do you mean wait until the WIFI icon turns from grey to white? I have tried this but the WIFI icon is grey all the time.
    12-07-10 11:16 PM

Recap :

At this point, you should be connected to a WiFi network!! (using one of the three options!)

We will now move on to tweak some settings for your BlackBerry Browser and Connection Preferences.

If you are NOT connected for some reason... you will need to troubleshoot the problem.
    Trouble shooting your wireless connection can be done using a few utilities on your BlackBerry!
    Move on to 'Step 3 : Troubleshooting your WiFi Connection' if you are having trouble connecting!

Step 2 : Tweaking your BlackBerry's Settings

Once you are connected to a wireless network, there are a few settings you can tweak so that the WiFi connection performs the way you want it to!!

First of all, we will tweak the Browser Settings. Open your browser and navigate to Menu > Options >
    Browser Configuration. From here, change the 'Browser' option to WiFi (or, in OS 4.5 releases, 'Hotspot')

My browser configuration is as follows :

Browser : HotSpot Browser
    All of the formatting boxes are checked : (JavaScript, Java Popups, Terminate slow running scripts, HTML Tables, ForeGround and BackGround Colors, BackGround Images, Embedded Media, Style Sheets)
    Show Images : On WML & HTML Pages
    Emulation Mode : BlackBerry
    Start Page : Start Page (Set to your liking)
    Home Page Adress : Set to your liking

You can tweak these settings to your liking... but those settings are a good starter.
    Please note these settings are being used on OS 4.5.0.xx on my 8320, there may possibly be minor differences

(Note : setting the emulation mode to 'BlackBerry' will allow your Berry to have a more "mobile friendly" browsing experience. This also allows for applications, themes, etc to be downloaded and installed OTA (over the air). With emulation mode set as 'Microsoft IE', you do not have these benefits!)

Hit the 'Back' button and then go to 'General Properties'. Once again, make sure the first option is set to WiFi (or Hotspot) browser. The other options can, once again, be tweaked to your liking. The defaults should be fine.

Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the mobile network connection of your device. You will need to manually change from 'WiFi browser' to 'Internet' browser... and vise versa)

You can change this setting to whatever you may desire... and the options are self-explanatory:
    • Mobile Network Only -- Will not use the WiFi connection to make any calls (browsing still available)
    • Mobile Network Preferred -- will only use WiFi when the Mobile Network is unavailable (in poor service areas)
    • WiFi Only -- Will only make UMA calls over WiFi, even if mobile network is available
    • WiFi Preferred -- will make UMA calls when a WiFi network is available, mobile network if not available

Finally, navigate to Home > Menu > Manage Connections > WiFi Options.
    This menu will display the current WiFi network you are connected to, along with all of your saved WiFi profiles. From here, you can manage your WiFi networks and remove unused connections. You can also specify if you want the device to auto-connect or manually connect to networks.

To edit Saved WiFi Profiles : highlight the desired network and hit Menu > Edit. You are able to change the name, security type, etc... (in case you ever make a change in your router configuration!)

Step 3 : Troubleshooting your WiFi Connection

If you have a specific error code for your problem, then please refer to Question 1 in the FAQ section. Otherwise, follow these directions

This section is dedicated for users who are still experiencing problems when connecting to WiFi networks. If you are unable to connect to a network there are a number of things to take into consideration.

1. Your router setup
    2. Other routers in close proximity to your router

In order to do some diagnostics and troubleshooting we will first go to Manage Connections > Services Status

From here, examine the "Wi-Fi Network" configuration. This should be on, have an active profile, SSID and security type. If this is "OFF" then you will want to make sure the WiFi is "ON" and connected to a network.

Next, go to Manage Connections > Wi-Fi Options. Press Menu > Wi-Fi Diagnostics. This information window will provide you with a number of areas about your wireless connection. When connected properly, this will tell you everything from the profile name, to IP address, status of your connection, UMA status, etc. This is a good place to start when you run into a WiFi problem.

Finally, we take this one step further and do a "Site Survey". This can be done by pressing Menu > Site Survey from the WiFi Diagnostics window. It will prompt you to start scan... so press your track ball and begin the scan. It will turn on your WiFi (if not on already) and scan for all available wireless networks. This then gives a detailed report of all of the WiFi networks available near you.

Specifically, you want to look at the network you desire to connect to and the channel it is running on! If your channel interferes with any of the other visible networks, then you will want to configure your router to have a different channel to get the best results. Sometimes interference can cause a number of connection issues and confuse your device! To change the channel on your router, consult your router's user guide or the manufacturer's website. In most cases, you go to your router's configuration page (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser). Then, somewhere under the wireless settings, you can change the channel.

If your device is not connecting to the router, but it can see it through site survey, do a power cycle on both the router and your device. Once this has been completed, attempt to connect to the network again. If problems continue to persist, I recommend starting fresh from a full reset on the router (no security) and attempting to connect. Once you establish a connection without security, you can go back to the router's configuration and enable security. You will then need to make the proper adjustments to that network profile's security on your device... then connect.
    Well Thanks for this rich post .. But i couldnt solve my problem

when i try to scan for network .. a pop up says ( unable to turn on ) appears !
    and the Wifi button doesnt work at all it just grey's without ticking for the connection ... i didnt have a proper solution till now please HELP
    12-13-10 02:39 PM
    Hi bmcclure937 (or anyone with any ideas about this), not sure if you'll be able to help. I went through your post and didn't see anything about this issue but I may have missed it. I am unable to turn on my Wi-Fi. The error I get is "Unable to turn Wi-Fi on"

At first though it just may be something screwy with the wi-fi so I tried setting up a new wi-fi connection by going:

Manage Connections -> Set Up Wi-Fi Network -> Scan For Networks

I get a prompt "Turn on Wi-Fi to perform a scan?"
    I click "Turn Wi-Fi on"
    It immediately displays "Unable to turn Wi-Fi on"

So far no one has been able to help. Do you have any ideas?
    Last edited by -58-; 01-18-11 at 02:10 PM.
    01-18-11 02:01 PM
    Hi everyone

I already post something under the curve 3G topic but i could not get an answer. So I might get a chance here !

I have this problem with my BB9300: I have the blackberry data plan, i have the service books nd the correct simcard, BBM is working fine over 3G connection (mobile network) BUT when I connect it only to wifi BBM just wont work (messages are waiting for my mobile network to come back to be sent, nd I wont receive anything).

I do tht at home when I get no mobile network coverage, but receive internet through wifi.

While on wifi only, I have access to the internet, but not to BBM or apps like AppWorld ...

Also I noticed tht the wifi icon stays grey (and not white !)

Can it come my wifi box ?
    Do u know if it comes from wrong settings, or do you have any idea wht I can do ?

May I add that I ran a wifi diagnostic test :

1) the wifi parameters are fine (ip, signal level, network acquired)
    2) there is nothing in the VPN info (im sorry I have no idea wht this is lol)
    3) in the UMA details it reads :
    UMA wifi availble : ok
    connection : no
    4) blackberry infrastructure : not connected

does tht mean im connected to the internet but not to the BB servers ?
    if so, how can I manage to get connected ?

From what I understand from my readings, my pb is tht I am not connected to the RIM servers ... so my final question would be : is it possible to be connected to them ONLY through wifi ?

Thanks ! I realize now tht it is a lot of question for such a small issue
    01-20-11 06:09 PM
    well it is as simple as 123!
    01-26-11 02:45 AM
    I recently bought a torch. i am with rogers and i donot have data plan. the internet on my torch was not working at home. i am using netgear wnr2000 router.Internet on my laptop is working fine with this router. I am really frustrated. then i tried wireless internet at my friends house, i was happy internet worked. But i donot know what to do at home. i tried resetting modem, tried changing security options. i recently bought this router.
    my internet provider is not able to fix problem, netgear is also not very supportive, so now i dont know what to do with this phone.
    i will be happy if internet works on my phone at home.
    any suggestions
    02-23-11 10:58 PM
    manually adding it is easier than anything
    02-24-11 09:31 AM
    My msn messenger won't work with wifi

How can i make it work ?

it work with the mobile network

my device: Curve 8530 ( Metro pcs )
    04-30-11 09:05 AM
    HI there,

I live and work where there is no mobile phone coverage, from any provider- however we do have internet via satellite and a wi-fi connection in our compound which works very well with laptops etc. but I cannot seem to get my Blackberry to work on it? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated- or is it as straightforward as needing mobile coverage to connect?

Thanks!

P
    05-02-11 02:29 AM
    HI there,

I live and work where there is no mobile phone coverage, from any provider- however we do have internet via satellite and a wi-fi connection in our compound which works very well with laptops etc. but I cannot seem to get my Blackberry to work on it? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated- or is it as straightforward as needing mobile coverage to connect?

Thanks!

P
    Your blackberry will need a blackberry data plan, it doesn't have the wifi servicebooks.

05-02-11 02:42 AM
    Wow, thanks for the how to my phone is now connected to wi-fi thanks to the router in my house, always wanted to know how this worked, you gave a very nice post, that was easy to follow, I chose the search method, & it went flawlessly
    05-02-11 04:03 AM
    Your blackberry will need a blackberry data plan, it doesn't have the wifi servicebooks.
    Never had a Dataplan but WiFi worked out of the Box.
    05-02-11 06:07 AM
    HI there,

As Rootbrian says, you need a valid data plan and connection by cellular for long enough to get service books sent to the phone. You can do the BIS email setup via internet, but I *think* the SBs have to come by cellular. After that it should work - it always does for me.

Once you have done this simply connect the phone to your wifi, and wait. It may take a little time over satellite, but you should see the WiFi icon go from grey to bright white. When I work offshore by satellite it typically takes 10-15 minutes to connect fully from a cold start.

If your sat-wifi is configured as a hotspot you will also need to do the hotspot login before it works properly. Depending on the landing page that can be more of a problem.
    05-02-11 06:07 AM
    im using O2 contract on 9780. Here is my problem i get connected with my wifi but cant use it. And as u told to change connection preference from manage connection but there is no option for wifi preference. How can solve dis problem?
    05-30-11 04:39 AM
    I have searched for this problem, but no luck. When I connect my Torch 9810 to my wi-fi network (Dlink Router), it works for a short period of time, but then all of my laptops, printers, and blackberry's lose the connection. I am forced to reset my router each time. I disabled the wi-fi on my 9810 to avoid this, but would like to be able to use this function.

Any advice?
    10-10-11 07:36 PM
    My msn messenger won't work with wifi

How can i make it work ?

it work with the mobile network

my device: Curve 8530 ( Metro pcs )
    Try to reinstall your service books - contact your carrier and ask them to send you the update.
    10-11-11 12:07 PM
    my blackberry 8520 curve wifi didn't work with this setting

as under mobile network option i had only options

data service
    mobile network
    network selection mode
    11-14-11 09:55 AM
    Is there any way to manually change the IP address of a blackberry once connected to a new network?
    11-14-11 09:21 PM
    thanks for great tutorila about wifi...in this way i resolved my wifi problem which i found on my BB 9000 bold....
    Last edited by cerma1993; 11-28-11 at 02:18 AM.
    11-28-11 02:14 AM
    hi,
    I am using bb 8520. whenever i connected to wifi it shows me connection successfull. but the wifi logo does not turns to bright and i am unable to surf the net
    09-11-13 06:15 AM
    Turn off mobile network, then try to surf. It should work until the indicater turns white.
    09-11-13 10:35 AM
    I done all the options but i am unable to use the internet using wifi....
    09-14-13 10:29 AM
601 ... 22232425
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD