Looks alot better BM. Nice job.
    Thanks a lot I totally 'renovated' it yesterday and cleaned things up... I am working on expanding it when time allows

Side Note : I love the new avatar!! '507 Error' haha
    08-08-08 10:05 AM
    I am not trying to "power trip" you, whatever that is supposed to mean

I am attempting to help you. When I told you to make sure your bowser's 'emulation mode' was set to 'BlackBerry' I did not mean to turn off the WiFi browser. You keep the default browser set to 'WiFi Browser' but you change the emulation mode to 'BlackBerry'.

Please read Step 2, where this process it detailed.

And do not go on to say I am "power tripping" you because I referred you back to a section within the guide! That is what the guide was created for, a reference tool... and if you follow the guide you will understand how to properly configure your Berry for optimal WiFi use! I am, in no way, trying to belittle you or your question... but it does not make sense for me to repeat myself when this is laid out in the guide. That is the reason I am referring you to a certain section to read...

It is not like I blew you off and said, "Read the guide... it is in there". No, I told you what section to find it in

So as long as my BROWSER is set to WIFI it doesn't matter what my emmulation mode(not sure what that means but I know where it is)is set to.....and I won't be charged data usage even though I have no data plan.
    LOL and I have to ask... instead of typing long bits back and forth to me wouldn't it have been easier to just have said "browser set at wifi and emulation set to BB makes it have no charges" ??????

I get where your coming from wanting people to read the whole wifi instructions, but I did and it wasn't sinking in to get me my answer of yes or no for the charges. YOU might understand what you wrote in the instructions and i really do appreciate all your knowledge but because YOU understand what you think is clearly written doesn't mean EVERYBODY understands what you are saying, even if you think it sounds simple.

Thank You for the info
    08-08-08 11:57 AM
    So as long as my BROWSER is set to WIFI it doesn't matter what my emmulation mode(not sure what that means but I know where it is)is set to.....and I won't be charged data usage even though I have no data plan.
    LOL and I have to ask... instead of typing long bits back and forth to me wouldn't it have been easier to just have said "browser set at wifi and emulation set to BB makes it have no charges" ??????

I get where your coming from wanting people to read the whole wifi instructions, but I did and it wasn't sinking in to get me my answer of yes or no for the charges. YOU might understand what you wrote in the instructions and i really do appreciate all your knowledge but because YOU understand what you think is clearly written doesn't mean EVERYBODY understands what you are saying, even if you think it sounds simple.

Thank You for the info
    You are correct, no charges and no data usage!!

Browser set on WiFi and emulation mode set to BlackBerry!

I am glad this helped... and sorry you didn't understand. Like I said before, I have the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section for a reason... because people ask the same questions freqently. This is one of those questions and I referred you back to that section since it is clearly spelled out there. Sorry it was difficult.

I am not sure your motives right now, but to me it seems like you are bickering to me over the help I provided to you Most people are grateful
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-08-08 at 12:05 PM.
    08-08-08 12:02 PM
    The guide is pretty clear. It's common knowledge(pretty much)that wifi is free as long as you're provisioned for it and pay your carrier the small fee. But I'm glad you now have it figured out. Post if you have any more questions.
    08-08-08 12:13 PM
    You are correct, no charges and no data usage!!

Browser set on WiFi and emulation mode set to BlackBerry!

I am glad this helped... and sorry you didn't understand. Like I said before, I have the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section for a reason... because people ask the same questions freqently. This is one of those questions and I referred you back to that section since it is clearly spelled out there. Sorry it was difficult.

I am not sure your motives right now, but to me it seems like you are bickering to me over the help I provided to you Most people are grateful

LOL definately grateful I'm hardheaded but definately grateful!
    08-08-08 12:25 PM
    LOL definately grateful I'm hardheaded but definately grateful!
    Okay, well I am glad I could help you out!

I hope everything is working out alright for you... and sorry for any confusion
    08-08-08 12:29 PM
    not sure if this is right thread..

I am in Madison,Wisconsin for a visit. WIFI is connecting, but not doing anything.I am also roaming, as i think TMO has nothing here. I don't understand why i can't get a data connection though. There is wifi all over the university of Wisconsin area. Any help? This is frustrating.
    08-09-08 12:09 PM
    not sure if this is right thread..

I am in Madison,Wisconsin for a visit. WIFI is connecting, but not doing anything.I am also roaming, as i think TMO has nothing here. I don't understand why i can't get a data connection though. There is wifi all over the university of Wisconsin area. Any help? This is frustrating.
    This could very well be a limitation or a problem with the WiFi network you are attempting to connect to

Do you get any error codes? And did you run the WiFi Diagnostics?
    08-10-08 03:28 PM
    Once again, if you want to turn off the data connection, you can do this from the "Manage Connections" as well. You simply go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services > Off
    so i used ure advice to go Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services > Off to turn off edge, but this option has turned off all data usage, including wifi. so is there an option to turn just edge off so i dont get data charges, but can still use wifi?

also, i'm with rogers in canada. i have 125 texts as part of my voice package, but dont have data. so for rogers will i get charged extra for texts because they need data or no?

hope this is clear
    08-10-08 04:02 PM
    so i used ure advice to go Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services > Off to turn off edge, but this option has turned off all data usage, including wifi. so is there an option to turn just edge off so i dont get data charges, but can still use wifi?

also, i'm with rogers in canada. i have 125 texts as part of my voice package, but dont have data. so for rogers will i get charged extra for texts because they need data or no?

hope this is clear
    Okay... well when you use the Browser on WiFi, no data is being racked up at all! Some apps, such as JiveTalk, are able to use WiFi connection... and those apps do not rack up data either!

The way I described turns off the data so you can avoid charges, but I did not know you needed other functionality as well.
    08-10-08 04:17 PM
    Sorry to say but I"M BACKKKKKKK

So I set up everything like you said wih the wifi browser and the BBemmulation and now i'm ready to try and download with no data service....except......How do I do this when things are supposed to be MAILED to my phone.... and i don't have an email ?Well I have an email but not a phone email. I thought BB on Tmo with no data couldn't have an email???????? So how do I do the downloads to the phone?

Not exactly a wifi question but I'm here because I started out here with how to set it up using WIFI browser...

Edited due to not watching my spelling
    08-10-08 06:38 PM
    You need to go to the website you want to download from and click on an OTA (over the air) download link. This will download and install the app to your device.

What are you trying to load onto your device? (Application, theme, ??)

You are correct, though. It can kind of be a pain for some OTA installs because you might need to get a link from your email. Depending on your email, you may be able to check the email on your BlackBerry Browser and click the link from there.

I actually highly recommend at least adding the TMobile email only addon ($10/month) and it will open up a lot more functionality on you device and make emailing a lot easier
    08-10-08 06:43 PM
    I'm trying to do a ringtone from CB

$10 a month ...LOL I'm to frugal I'm waiting for a SALE
    08-10-08 06:46 PM
    OK wait...the CB site says the email one is OTA so I'm still stuck with the question of WHAT email ? Am I missing something? is there some email address I'm entitled to with BB even without a data plan????
    08-10-08 06:51 PM
    I'm trying to do a ringtone from CB

$10 a month ...LOL I'm to frugal I'm waiting for a SALE
    haha

Well what kind of email do you use...? You could always send it to your email and then check your email from the website for your email.

For example, if you have a GMail account you could send the link to your email and then go to GMail.com and check your email...

Or you can download the ringtone to your PC and follow this guide : http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...our-blackberry
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-10-08 at 06:54 PM.
    08-10-08 06:51 PM
    OK wait...the CB site says the email one is OTA so I'm still stuck with the question of WHAT email ? Am I missing something? is there some email address I'm entitled to with BB even without a data plan????
    No. They email the OTA link to your email address... then you click on the link and it will download to your BlackBerry... follow the guide I posted above, as this is not really the proper place to discuss this and is somewhat Hi-Jacking the thread
    08-10-08 06:53 PM
    HI - This a great how-to guide, and I also appreciate your other posts on CrackBerry!!
    I work in a huge wifi enabled building and my wifi signal varies. While my laptop maintains full signal strength, my BB wifi connection frequently "grays out" Any methods/devices to receive/maintain a stronger signal? Does the most recent BBOS improve wifi reception?
    Thanks!
    08-11-08 03:05 PM
    HI - This a great how-to guide, and I also appreciate your other posts on CrackBerry!!
    I work in a huge wifi enabled building and my wifi signal varies. While my laptop maintains full signal strength, my BB wifi connection frequently "grays out" Any methods/devices to receive/maintain a stronger signal? Does the most recent BBOS improve wifi reception?
    Thanks!
    Welcome to CrackBerry and thanks for the compliment

I am sorry to say that there is no way to improve WiFi connection on your Berry... I always seem to get a fairly decent range on my device, but that depends on the WiFi network and building structure.

You will obviously get a weaker signal than a laptop, etc... because the WiFi transmitter in your Berry is smaller and lacks powerful antennas.
    08-11-08 03:08 PM
    ...Any methods/devices to receive/maintain a stronger signal?
    Thanks!
    LinkSys makes a Wifi repeater. It has a larger antenna and captures signal in low signal strength areas. I use one to entend my range and backfill areas that are shadowed by steel roof.

Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Range Expanders & Antennas/WRE54G

It is very simple to install, does an automatic configuration with the host router and the handover is seamless.

I have heard that UMA does not hand over correctly, but that is unconfirmed.
    Last edited by Stoner; 08-11-08 at 03:41 PM.
    08-11-08 03:37 PM
    Thanks for this post, but wish I had known about this site and had read this before I tried to get the Wi-Fi on my phone. I have now had to send in for 2 replacement phones because I tried hooking up to a router that runs between a G and N and it has screwed my phone. Now I know why. Thank you for the post again
    08-18-08 10:58 PM
    Quick Question...

Nice guide btw... I am an AT&T person.. wi-fi is great.. etc etc...

I am reading you cannot make calls over wi-fi on AT&T (which seems to be true) however, does anyone know if there is a way around this? Seems to be a crippling feature that drives me insane! Thanks...

amazing how fast the posts are being posted here.. hehe
    08-19-08 08:56 AM
    Quick Question...

I am reading you cannot make calls over wi-fi on AT&T (which seems to be true) however, does anyone know if there is a way around this? Seems to be a crippling feature that drives me insane! Thanks...

i don't believe there is a work around for it maybe if you bought an unlocked 8320 you might be able to
    08-19-08 09:10 AM
    Quick Question...

There is no possible way to make calls over UMA on ATT, unfortunately You cannot even do this with an unlocked TMobile Curve (8320) because the ATT network simply does not support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA).

This is disappointing and really makes WiFi on ATT devices no very useful, but there is no way around it.

Thanks for this post, but wish I had known about this site and had read this before I tried to get the Wi-Fi on my phone. I have now had to send in for 2 replacement phones because I tried hooking up to a router that runs between a G and N and it has screwed my phone. Now I know why. Thank you for the post again
    Glad the tutorial helped
    08-19-08 11:04 AM
    This thread remains the one I recommend the most!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-08 12:27 PM
    This thread remains the one I recommend the most!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thank you very much for the compliments and support exelant
    08-25-08 06:48 PM
601 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD