Wow, I'm beginning to think my BB Curve 8330 is not the ideal phone to have when your using a MAC Pro. I can't even use it as a tethered modem on my Mac for Internet Service even though I have unlimited use Wi-Fi Service through Alltel. And my Mac has a wireless Airport card installed, and I even have an Airport Extreme Base Station, all brand new. My Alltel rep. Says yes you can thether the BBC as a modem to a Mac, and that he does it all the time. However, for me it ain't happenin'. Any advice? I'm moving to my first house on Aug. 8th, and didn't want to pay for Internet when I'm moving.
    08-03-08 12:05 PM
    Wow, I'm beginning to think my BB Curve 8330 is not the ideal phone to have when your using a MAC Pro. I can't even use it as a tethered modem on my Mac for Internet Service even though I have unlimited use Wi-Fi Service through Alltel. And my Mac has a wireless Airport card installed, and I even have an Airport Extreme Base Station, all brand new. My Alltel rep. Says yes you can thether the BBC as a modem to a Mac, and that he does it all the time. However, for me it ain't happenin'. Any advice? I'm moving to my first house on Aug. 8th, and didn't want to pay for Internet when I'm moving.
    Sorry you are having troubles, but this guide specifically deals with WiFi enabled BlackBerries. I do not cover anything on tethering...

I am sure there are other threads available to help you tether your Curve, but this is not the place to find that info!
    08-03-08 12:49 PM
    Can you connect to a Wi-Fi network if you don't have data service through your carrier? I got a free Blackberry and just moved my SIM card from a non-Blackberry device to the Blackberry. Didn't get the service to go with it. Is this possible?
    Last edited by Garz; 08-03-08 at 08:22 PM.
    08-03-08 07:48 PM
    Can you connect to a Wi-Fi network if you don't have data service through your carrier? I got a free Blackberry and just moved my SIM card from a non-Blackberry device to the Blackberry. Didn't get the service to go with it. Is this possible?
    Considering your model does not support WiFi, no

And if you would take the time to read through the tutorial I published, then your questions would have automatically been answered (just saying)

And Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    08-03-08 08:12 PM
    Hi there. My wife's and my contracts with ATT (family plan) were recently up, so I just upgraded my phone to a BB 8110 for nearly free. I was disappointed not being able to get the 8120 for the same price, but I figured I'd survive. Then I started reading all the stuff I'd be missing out with the WiFi, especially the free-ish UMA calls from our WiFi network at home, and am regretting my decision....especially when I saw that I could get the 8120 for nearly free with new TMO service from a very well-known online books-and-now-everything-else-under-the-sun retailer.

Fortunately, the place I got my 8110 from said I could take the phone back for a refund and get back out of my contract renewal within 30 days, so I'm very close to pulling this off.

My question is, when I went through the girations of signing up for new TMO service with the above-insinuated online retailer, it asks me what data plan I'd like to sign up for. And there was no option to choose NO data plan. I'm assuming I could probably back out of that plan later and go WiFi only (I'll certainly read the fine print). But I'm wondering just what I would get by choosing the 9.99 email only option. It looks like apps like Tiggit give you email capabilities over wi-fi, but I'm wondering if someone can tell me what great whiz-bang features I'd get by tacking on the BB email-only data plan?

Thanks in advance, and I'm now officially addicted (with the 8110).....and jones-ing for something a little stronger (8120).

Matt.
    08-04-08 12:10 PM
    ...(cut)...
    My question is, when I went through the girations of signing up for new TMO service with the above-insinuated online retailer, it asks me what data plan I'd like to sign up for. And there was no option to choose NO data plan. I'm assuming I could probably back out of that plan later and go WiFi only (I'll certainly read the fine print). But I'm wondering just what I would get by choosing the 9.99 email only option. It looks like apps like Tiggit give you email capabilities over wi-fi, but I'm wondering if someone can tell me what great whiz-bang features I'd get by tacking on the BB email-only data plan?

Thanks in advance, and I'm now officially addicted (with the 8110).....and jones-ing for something a little stronger (8120).

Matt.
    You can say "Amazon.com" haha... but I knew what you were referring to!

They offer some insane device prices... and even pay you money for getting some of the devices!! While you are looking, check out the BlackBerry Curve 8320 for TMobile!! The 8120 Pearl is a great device as well... but just saying.

As for the Amazon restrictions and requirements, be sure to read the fine print and details because the promotional price for the device strongly depends on if you meet and follow the criteria they outline. For example, they may require you to hold a certain data plan for a certain amount of time!

I do not think they will allow you to get by without adding a data plan from Amazon to begin with... and I think if you cancel the data plan too soon your refunds and rebates for your device will be voided. Your best bet is to add the $9.99 email only addon, which I highly highly recommend anyhow. If you are attempting to go for the WiFi-only route and do not want to add the full data plan, I feel that you should at least add the email only addon!

The email addon adds functionality that third party email clients (such as LogicMail and TiggitMail) can come nowhere close to implementing. BlackBerry Mail is soooo much nicer than any third party client! You can receive push BIS email from anywhere you have signal and you can also use BlackBerry Messenger! You can add somewhere around 10 email accounts and you get your own @tmo.blackberry.net account as well!!

I think it is well worth it to at least add the email only addon!! You will not regret it... and it makes the WiFi only solution a lot more complete and well-rounded!
    08-04-08 12:18 PM
    The email addon adds functionality that third party email clients (such as LogicMail and TiggitMail) can come nowhere close to implementing. BlackBerry Mail is soooo much nicer than any third party client! You can receive push BIS email from anywhere you have signal and you can also use BlackBerry Messenger! You can add somewhere around 10 email accounts and you get your own @tmo.blackberry.net account as well!!
    Hmmm.... Did some more searching, and came across this document on the blackberry web site: (Can't post URLs yet... at the blackberry web site, search for "Accessing BlackBerry Data Services Using Wi-Fi Networks") On page 6 of that doc there's a graph that seems to indicate that with only a WiFi connection, that BIS email, PIN messaging, and BlackBerry Messenger should all work without a data plan.

I'm guessing then, that the $9.99/mo is for the privilege of getting your messaging and emails anywhere vs. just at WiFi hotspots?
    08-04-08 02:08 PM
    Hmmm.... Did some more searching, and came across this document on the blackberry web site: (Can't post URLs yet... at the blackberry web site, search for "Accessing BlackBerry Data Services Using Wi-Fi Networks") On page 6 of that doc there's a graph that seems to indicate that with only a WiFi connection, that BIS email, PIN messaging, and BlackBerry Messenger should all work without a data plan.

I'm guessing then, that the $9.99/mo is for the privilege of getting your messaging and emails anywhere vs. just at WiFi hotspots?
    The BlackBerry website is either sadly mistaken, or you are misunderstanding what they are attempting to convey.

Believe me, through experimentation with no data plan I have confirmed my findings. You cannot receive BIS email or BBM without some form of BIS data (email only or unlimited data).

The information I have compiled within this guide has been tested and confirmed first hand! I know it can be confusing, but I think RIM was attempting to say that once you have a BIS plan (email or unlimited) you can browse, receive email, BBM, SMS, MMS and call all through WiFi (by using your UMA connection!!)
    08-04-08 02:13 PM
    Your posts are always so helpful!! Thanks again! I fixed my Wi-Fi!
    Last edited by pinkberry8120; 08-06-08 at 01:07 PM.
    08-06-08 01:03 PM
    Your posts are always so helpful!! Thanks again! I fixed my Wi-Fi!
    Glad I could help you out!!

As for AIM, MSN, Yahoo and all of your messaging... check the link in the FAQs that refers to another thread about applications that work on WiFi only!!

I personally recommend JiveTalk, a multi-client IM app for your Berry. You can run this on WiFi only and it is a great application! There is a free 30 day trial and you will be hooked after that!!

*EDIT* : You must have edited your post at the last second before I replied and retracted your question about the messenger apps!!
    08-06-08 01:12 PM
    good write up. It really helped thanks
    08-06-08 01:50 PM
    Well I had written a post while I waited on hold with TMO but retracted it now that I got help. I will share my experience in case it might help others.

I got my 8120 last week, got the data plan, realized I would not use it much, and terminated it today. THEN found out I could not access websites with my wifi. I tried all the steps you gave to no avail. As it turned out I had it all set up right when I called (thanks to your guide), but TMO had to change options on their end. All in all was a pain, but at least a pleasant experience on the phone and he fixed it in about 10 minutes.
    08-06-08 01:58 PM
    i followed your instructions im trying to use my works wifi system it finds it but wont connect
    08-06-08 11:57 PM
    I am actually heading out for the night... work in the AM did you follow this whole thread?

Have you consulted your companies IT dept and asked about the WiFi?? There may be a MAC filter in place or some other restrictions?? Is there a special log in of sorts besides the security key?
    Those are just some starter ideas...
    i followed your instructions im trying to use my works wifi system it finds it but wont connect
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 12:05 AM
    Ok I read through all the posts and didn't see this answered...but I might have missed it since it all starts blending together as i'm reading and not understanding half the posted things

If I want to download things THROUGH my phone and not off the computer....you said switch to BB setting instead of WIFI on another post. My question is ...how am i charged then? Would I get a data usage charge since I'm not runnng through WIFI ( I have no DATA plan)

Please use non techno language to reply
    08-07-08 07:20 PM
    Ok I read through all the posts and didn't see this answered...but I might have missed it since it all starts blending together as i'm reading and not understanding half the posted things

If I want to download things THROUGH my phone and not off the computer....you said switch to BB setting instead of WIFI on another post. My question is ...how am i charged then? Would I get a data usage charge since I'm not runnng through WIFI ( I have no DATA plan)

Please use non techno language to reply
    Glad you stopped by and read the guide!!

Check the FAQs (at the end) and that question is answered. Also look at Step 2 to make sure you have your browser configured correctly. All of the terms are really not that technical if you take them one step at a time.

If you look at everything all at once and expect to understand it, then it may seem like a big blur!
    08-07-08 08:01 PM
    Glad you stopped by and read the guide!!

Check the FAQs (at the end) and that question is answered. Also look at Step 2 to make sure you have your browser configured correctly. All of the terms are really not that technical if you take them one step at a time.

If you look at everything all at once and expect to understand it, then it may seem like a big blur!
    So I read what you told me but still not seeing the answer i understand about setting it up but not how it is reading me for billing?????
    Last edited by SandAngel; 08-07-08 at 09:39 PM.
    08-07-08 09:31 PM
    So I read what you told me but still not seeing the answer i understand about setting it up but not how it is reading me for billing?????

I would love it if you could answer me instead of making me keep looking like it's a power trip Maybe even just tell me exactly where the answer is because I'm not seeing it

HMMM I guess I'm sounding like an @$$ for someone who is asking a question but i'm tired and I'm frustrated and I can't find it
    *woah* I am trying to be truly helpful here and was trying to point you in the right direction...

Sorry to make you soo upset by helping you

Here is the answer... quoted directly from the guide...

Frequently Asked Questions

• Q: If I do not have a data plan, will I be charged for WiFi browsing? / Am I still able to use WiFi without a data plan?

A: No. There is no data charged to your account when using the WiFi Broswer... and you can use WiFi without a data plan!
    08-07-08 09:40 PM
    LOL..JEEZ.. I erased it before you even answered. I was having a meltdown.

SEE you ARE trying to powertrip me because why did you post what I said when you new I edited it right away because I knew it was wrong and I was being an @ss

Yep I know about the no fee for wifi stuff but then again I'm using the wifi browser and your saying change to BB setting and that is what is throwing me. Holy cow my head is spinning. I knew I was too tech stupid to get a BB
    08-07-08 09:55 PM
    My very first post... and I might get grilled for it :T

I was reading through the threads and even did a search to see if I could find the answer I needed, but to no avail. So... here it goes...

(AT&T) Say I:
    1) Aquire a unit which supports wi-fi...
    2) Enroll only in the unlimited text messaging plan (family) which includes sms, mms, etc...
    3) I do not sign up for the BB Data Plan for 30 friggin dollars...
    4) I follow this wonderful guide step by step and successfully connect to my router...
    5) Will I be able to send mms text messages without having the data plan activated?

*whew* bring it on...
    08-08-08 05:29 AM
    LOL..JEEZ.. I erased it before you even answered. I was having a meltdown.

SEE you ARE trying to powertrip me because why did you post what I said when you new I edited it right away because I knew it was wrong and I was being an @ss

Yep I know about the no fee for wifi stuff but then again I'm using the wifi browser and your saying change to BB setting and that is what is throwing me. Holy cow my head is spinning. I knew I was too tech stupid to get a BB
    I am not trying to "power trip" you, whatever that is supposed to mean

I am attempting to help you. When I told you to make sure your bowser's 'emulation mode' was set to 'BlackBerry' I did not mean to turn off the WiFi browser. You keep the default browser set to 'WiFi Browser' but you change the emulation mode to 'BlackBerry'.

Please read Step 2, where this process it detailed.

And do not go on to say I am "power tripping" you because I referred you back to a section within the guide! That is what the guide was created for, a reference tool... and if you follow the guide you will understand how to properly configure your Berry for optimal WiFi use! I am, in no way, trying to belittle you or your question... but it does not make sense for me to repeat myself when this is laid out in the guide. That is the reason I am referring you to a certain section to read...

It is not like I blew you off and said, "Read the guide... it is in there". No, I told you what section to find it in
    08-08-08 05:36 AM
    My very first post... and I might get grilled for it :T

I was reading through the threads and even did a search to see if I could find the answer I needed, but to no avail. So... here it goes...

(AT&T) Say I:
    1) Aquire a unit which supports wi-fi...
    2) Enroll only in the unlimited text messaging plan (family) which includes sms, mms, etc...
    3) I do not sign up for the BB Data Plan for 30 friggin dollars...
    4) I follow this wonderful guide step by step and successfully connect to my router...
    5) Will I be able to send mms text messages without having the data plan activated?

*whew* bring it on...
    Welcome to CrackBerry!! I would definitely not flame someone for a legitimate question... thank you for laying out you concerns in an organized manner. To be honest, I am not really sure about this one

For ATT, I think you can send MMS messages without a data plan... and you would not even need to be connected to WiFi to do so. I would talk to ATT and ask them about it. Tell them you do not want a data plan but you want to be able to send MMS (since you have unlimited texting) and see what they say.

I know for TMobile there is a "BlackBerry Enabler" that allows for MMS, even if you do not have the data plan... so maybe ATT has something similar.
    08-08-08 05:39 AM
    For ATT, I think you can send MMS messages without a data plan... and you would not even need to be connected to WiFi to do so. I would talk to ATT and ask them about it. Tell them you do not want a data plan but you want to be able to send MMS (since you have unlimited texting) and see what they say.

I know for TMobile there is a "BlackBerry Enabler" that allows for MMS, even if you do not have the data plan... so maybe ATT has something similar.
    Ah, I wish... they've told me time and time again that the data plan is required to do so. I've had my 8300 since day one and after about 2 months of using the data plan I realized I don't use $30 worth of web browsing and all that comes with it. So, I cancelled it... only to find out that my mms text msgs cannot be sent/received without the plan.
    08-08-08 06:16 AM
    Ah, I wish... they've told me time and time again that the data plan is required to do so. I've had my 8300 since day one and after about 2 months of using the data plan I realized I don't use $30 worth of web browsing and all that comes with it. So, I cancelled it... only to find out that my mms text msgs cannot be sent/received without the plan.
    The more I think about this... the more I realize it does not make sense.

When you are connected to WiFi on a UMA device, it does not act as a data plan... or anything remotely like it! On ATT, data is not even transmitted through your WiFi... the WiFi is used for browsing purposes only. On TMobile, on the other hand, when you are on UMA (through WiFi) all of the data is routed through your WiFi connection. This means your SMS, MMS, calls, email, etc are all passed through WiFi (UMA). In no way does this give you a free data plan on TMobile... it is an alternative option to connect to the mobile network (as opposed to EDGE).

But ATT does not even have UMA functionality, so the only real thing you gain from using WiFi is surfing the Web and browsing over WiFi. A couple third party apps allow WiFi as the primary connection, but that is not like UMA.

This whole post is somewhat off track and long-winded... but the whole point is to say that WiFi will not enable MMS on your BlackBerry! WiFi does not add a data plan (or the functionality of one) to any device. The MMS issue would have to be worked out with ATT! They may, in fact, require a data plan to use MMS... but I know TMobile has the free "BlackBerry Enabler" addon which is like an extremely limited portion of data only for MMS. They add this to any BlackBerry line without a data plan so that messaging is not affected. I am not sure if ATT has anything like this, but that is what you would need... I assume it has some service books that allow MMS.
    08-08-08 07:11 AM
    Looks alot better BM. Nice job.
    08-08-08 08:34 AM
601 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD