Is it possible that Telcos (such as Smart Communication Philippines) may set their BB system in such a way that it may charge the wifi user?

Browser - Hotspot
    Data Service - on
    Wifi - on
    Mobile network - on
    08-17-10 01:27 AM
    Great tutorial, I wish I had my old Bold 9700, it would have worked on that one however, I now have the new Torch 9800 and it appears to have a completely different set up for browser options and I don't see any of the data presented here for browser options. Any chance of you kindly providing an update to this wifi set up for the Torch?
    08-24-10 06:08 PM
    HELP!! Ive posted this elsewhere but this seems a great place to find help

Hi everyone, Im not sure if anyone can help but yesterday my wi-fi seemed to become very weak. Until yesterday I had a great wi-fi connection at home. However since yesterday, my wi-fi symbol is continously greyed out and even though the phone is telling me that I am connected, there is a '-' symbol next to my wi-fi connection in 'manage connections' rather than a green tick. Some things are working on my browser however my downloaded applications and some browsing is saying that I dont have sufficient wi-fi coverage for them to open.

Please help!
    08-29-10 05:13 AM
    HELP!! Ive posted this elsewhere but this seems a great place to find help

Hi everyone, Im not sure if anyone can help but yesterday my wi-fi seemed to become very weak. Until yesterday I had a great wi-fi connection at home. However since yesterday, my wi-fi symbol is continously greyed out and even though the phone is telling me that I am connected, there is a '-' symbol next to my wi-fi connection in 'manage connections' rather than a green tick. Some things are working on my browser however my downloaded applications and some browsing is saying that I dont have sufficient wi-fi coverage for them to open.

Please help!
    First step when something with the phone starts misbehaving and you've truly done nothing to change your configuration - is to try a battery pull / cold restart and see if you still have the problem.

If you still do - and you really haven't changed anything else, it's possible that a neighbor has parked their Wi-Fi connection on the same channel you're using, and the interference is causing you to have a poorer quality connection than you had before. If you have any diagnostic tools to scan for channels that appear busy, that would help. If not, you can also just use your BB's Wi-Fi tools to scan for an available network and see how many show up -- this would be a clue. Anyway -- I'd suggest you try changing channels on our router and trying again to see if that makes a difference.

If you're still having problems, you may wind up going through some of the configuration suggestions in this thread.
    08-29-10 09:58 AM
    I have a Belkin Wireless-G Plus MIMO Router and my blackberry is allergic to it!

There's no way to configure QoS, tried registering, DMZ'd the blackberry bold 9700 , turned off the firewall and NAT, still, same thing. It doesn't connect to anything. It's constantly switching to white/grey every 5 minutes. Annoying, yes. 5 minutes of connectivity, then it loses, then reconnects.

I cannot in my life, get the ******* thing to work. I have tried everything. (This is not related to UMA, it's about being able to smoothly use Wi-Fi like always-on when downloading podcasts, etc.)
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 08-30-10 at 02:08 AM. Reason: added info
    08-30-10 02:06 AM
    I have a Belkin Wireless-G Plus MIMO Router and my blackberry is allergic to it!

There's no way to configure QoS, tried registering, DMZ'd the blackberry bold 9700 , turned off the firewall and NAT, still, same thing. It doesn't connect to anything. It's constantly switching to white/grey every 5 minutes. Annoying, yes. 5 minutes of connectivity, then it loses, then reconnects.

I cannot in my life, get the ******* thing to work. I have tried everything. (This is not related to UMA, it's about being able to smoothly use Wi-Fi like always-on when downloading podcasts, etc.)
    Have you tried various settings, e.g.,

- turn off it's "G-plus" mode and set it to regular G? (is that an option?)
    - change security settings, e.g., WEP, WPA, WPA2, none, etc
    08-30-10 10:26 AM
    Have you tried various settings, e.g.,

- turn off it's "G-plus" mode and set it to regular G? (is that an option?)
    - change security settings, e.g., WEP, WPA, WPA2, none, etc
    No option for G Plus, just B and G modes. I had it ion mixed, then just B, now G. Didn't do nothing. Tried encryption, didn't change the fact that the connection kept dropping every 5 minutes and took 5 minutes for it to work again. All the while still staying connected to the hotspot. Grey icon=no connection period. White icon=connected. Even tried defaulting it to factory settings, no luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 03:43 PM
    No option for G Plus, just B and G modes. I had it ion mixed, then just B, now G. Didn't do nothing. Tried encryption, didn't change the fact that the connection kept dropping every 5 minutes and took 5 minutes for it to work again. All the while still staying connected to the hotspot. Grey icon=no connection period. White icon=connected. Even tried defaulting it to factory settings, no luck.

Not sure what the problem would be. I never connected my BB to a Belkin MIMO router...but I did, in fact, own a Belkin pre-N MIMO router a couple of years back and it was excellent (they did MIMO really well) -- but I never connected anything to it but a PC via a Belkin wireless adapter...

Not encouraging through when I google this:
    Wi-Fi on 8820 / Belkin Router - AT&T Wireless Community

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bel...olution-38388/

My first G1 frustration - HTC and MIMO do not play... - T-Mobile Community

What is the best router for a Wi-Fi device such as the 8320? - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    08-30-10 04:48 PM
    Not sure what the problem would be. I never connected my BB to a Belkin MIMO router...but I did, in fact, own a Belkin pre-N MIMO router a couple of years back and it was excellent (they did MIMO really well) -- but I never connected anything to it but a PC via a Belkin wireless adapter...

Not encouraging through when I google this:
    Wi-Fi on 8820 / Belkin Router - AT&T Wireless Community

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bel...olution-38388/

My first G1 frustration - HTC and MIMO do not play... - T-Mobile Community

What is the best router for a Wi-Fi device such as the 8320? - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    I read about it, belkin is crap as said by the posters. They all got linksys's instead and their problems are solved. I'll be selling the belkin for $15 on the classifieds and keeping my trusty linksys-based white, unbranded wireless-B router as a spare once i get the T-Mobile branded linksys for $19.
    08-30-10 06:21 PM
    Is there a way to make my bb broadcast a wifi signal?

08-31-10 10:34 AM
    hy i have prob with my black bary 8900 i scan network but nothing found i try again again and cant findw network how cen i fix thet pls hel me do i have to configurate my phone or something els? e mail me
    09-04-10 08:47 PM
    Is there a way to make my bb broadcast a wifi signal?

No -- not if you mean to use the bb as a Wi-Fi access point (e.g., like an EVO). Not designed for that.

09-04-10 09:19 PM
    hy i have prob with my black bary 8900 i scan network but nothing found i try again again and cant findw network how cen i fix thet pls hel me do i have to configurate my phone or something els? e mail me
    If you have a wired router, there is no wifi. If it's a wireless router, press the reset button on the back and it'll reboot it. Works for me as sometimes the wireless PCMICA card inside will freeze up.

09-05-10 01:28 AM
    I just brought couple of BBs from USA (ATT & T-Mobile) to the Philippines , I unlocked it by ordering the unlocked codes from the states. Now my problem is my WIFI connection. Its kinda connected but not really....its shows it's connected but there's no CHECK symbol so I cant surf the web, log in on Yahoo or log in at FB please advice on what to do. Thanks in advance
    09-16-10 06:43 PM
    i have router ADSL modem Sanex SA5100 and wifi router JAHT as the access point. my 8320 still can't browse internet. i've opened the port 500 and 4500. but it still can't. error code, w004 ISP error, DNS server cannot be reach.
    09-27-10 06:53 AM
    I have a Bold 9700 with wifi on AT&T. In my home I have a wireless print server (Linksys) with a static IP address. Do you know how to set up a phone to print to a printserver? All software I have seen seems to want to do it through 1. a computer; 2. bluetooth; 3. an expensive monthly service.
    09-27-10 07:45 PM
    can u help me get my wifi to work on my torch i have set up the wifi network and it shows hooked up to dlink but only runs on 3g and wont run when just on wifi i am puzzzled the same setup worked flawlessly on my bold 9700.

thanks
    10-20-10 10:39 PM
    Nice post. Helped me to understand quite some details. Enjoyed it. Thanks a lot.
    10-30-10 10:16 AM
    thanx for this post help me alot.
    10-31-10 07:03 PM
    thanx for this post help me alot.
    10-31-10 07:08 PM
    Hi there,

As a new member and new Blackberry user I have followed this thread as I have my own problem. I live in North Thailand, my carrier is AIS and my Blackberry is a curve 9300 locked to AIS, for the time being anyway, and I use their unlimited package.

So, I have a TP-Link Wireless Router, TL-WR642G which I use for my laptop & desktop with no problems. I cannot get my Blackberry to connect to it though or the hotspot in a local Black Canyon outlet, I get the message "Unable to find the requested server" when I try. I have read various posts, tried alternative settings but no way can I connect, ISP & carrier both say its the others fault.

I have carried out a Wi-Fi diagnostic test on my 9300 and here are the results: -
    Wi-FiCurrent Profile: PeterSSID: PeterAP MAC Address: 00:27:199:66:58Security Type: Pre-Shared Key (PSK)Association: SuccessfulAuthentication: SuccessfulLocal IP Address: 192.168.1.3Signal Level: -49 dBmConnection Data Rate: 54 MbpsStatus: Network acquiredAuthentication Failure Reason: Network Type: 802.11b/gNetwork Channel: 7Pairwise Cipher: CCMPGroup Cipher: CCMPGateway Address: 192.168.1.1DHCP: SuccessfulPrimary DNS: 192.168.1.1Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0DNS suffix: Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0Server Domain Suffix: Certificate: Not ApplicableSoftware Token: Not ApplicableHotspot Code: Hotspot Message: Not ApplicableHotspot Status: Not Applicable VPNCurrent Profile: Concentrator Address: Contact: N/AAuthentication: N/ASecure Device IP: Status: VPN profile is not found.Resolving Concentrator: N/AConcentrator IP: Primary DNS: Secondary DNS: DNS Suffix: Secure Subnet Mask: Retry at: Session Lifetime: Re-login at: Failed Login Attempts: 0Certificate: Not ApplicableSoftware Token: BlackBerry InfrastructureAddress Used: //216.9.240.88:443IP Used: Connecting: Trying...Authenticating router: N/AAuthenticating server: N/ALast Contact At: Sent via BlackBerry� from AIS.

Can anyone assist on this one, I hope it's somthing simple I may have missed but it's driving me crazy.

In hope,

Peter
    11-07-10 01:11 AM
    Will doing this still allow you to tether? Also with all the tethering instructions out, will your system off beefing up the wifi in your BB speed up tether speed?
    11-09-10 12:46 PM
    Is it correct if i don't have a Data plan i can't get Wifi even on my home network ? l am getting a 9700 and plan to use my Pay as you go Sim , would a different browser be the answer IE Opera Mini?
    Last edited by Frigiliana; 11-12-10 at 11:14 AM.
    11-12-10 10:40 AM
    When on wi fi my youtube videos never load what do you think the issue would be

11-12-10 11:19 AM
    Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the mobile network connection of your device. You will need to manually change from 'WiFi browser' to 'Internet' browser... and vise versa)

You can change this setting to whatever you may desire... and the options are self-explanatory:

* Mobile Network Only -- Will not use the WiFi connection to make any calls (browsing still available)
    * Mobile Network Preferred -- will only use WiFi when the Mobile Network is unavailable (in poor service areas)
    * WiFi Only -- Will only make UMA calls over WiFi, even if mobile network is available
    * WiFi Preferred -- will make UMA calls when a WiFi network is available, mobile network if not available
    So I am running 5.0.0.822 and all the sudden the option for Connection preference is not there!!!! I did the official OS update from that came across when I plugged in my bb to dm. I'm so confused and don't know how to fix it.. is this a feature they have taken away on the 9000
    12-03-10 11:04 AM
601 ... 2122232425
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD