I don't have a data plan. I don't know what I did, because now I can access websites again. Is there some loophole or random sequence of events that I could do that would make my browser go back to tzones without my knowledge? I think this is mainly a case of me being new to bb, haha.
    07-27-08 11:26 PM
    I have a new question:

So I have a 8120 and also a data plan. Now I have my phone set to use WiFi when possible only because I think the connection is faster for browsing- is that correct?

Now if I go into a coffee shop that has free WiFi, the wifi logo is darkened and then I get either the EDGE, GPRS, or UMA icon in the upper right of my screen. (I don't know the difference between edge and gprs). Now I know that UMA is used for making calls but why does it only appear sometimes when I am in the wifi zone and is not constant?

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by PianoMan99; 07-28-08 at 12:32 PM.
    07-28-08 11:18 AM
    I have a new question:

So I have a 8120 and also a data plan. Now I have my phone set to use WiFi when possible only because I think the connection is faster for browsing- is that correct?

Now if I go into a coffee shop that has free WiFi, the wifi logo is darkened and then I get either the EDGE, GPRS, or UMA icon in the upper right of my screen. (I don't know the difference between edge and gprs). Now I know that UMA is used for making calls but why does it only appear sometimes when I am in the wifi zone and is not constant?

Thanks so much!
    The WiFi preferred setting only pertains to the voice/data connection on your Berry, this has nothing to do with WiFi web browsing (through the BlackBerry browser). You can be connected to WiFi and not be browsing on your browser through WiFi, if you do not have it set to 'WiFi Browser' (as detailed in Step 2).

As for your question about UMA, EDGE, GPRS... when the connection is in capitals you have a data connection. When they are in lower case you do not. UMA is displayed when you are connected through WiFi and all of your data and voice is being routed correctly through the WiFi router you are connected to. On occasion, you may be connected to WiFi but not have UMA... this occurs when you are not configured correctly.

EDGE is a better connection than GPRS. EDGE > GPRS > GSM http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/dif...t=EDGE+capital

I hope that helps!
    07-28-08 12:48 PM
    Thanks so much! Now another question. Is it possible to set it so that my berry will automatically use wifi for web browsing when it is available? Also if I am using wifi on my browser and have the wifi and GPRS icon is GPRS being used for voice and not browsing at that moment?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by PianoMan99; 07-28-08 at 01:01 PM.
    07-28-08 12:54 PM
    Thanks so much! Now another question. Is it possible to set it so that my berry will automatically use wifi for web browsing when it is available?

No, there is no auto-switch for the browser from mobile network to WiFi Browser

Also if I am using wifi on my browser and have the wifi and GPRS icon is GPRS being used for voice and not browsing at that moment?

You are correct. That means you should be able to browse on your browser with the WiFi connection, but not make UMA calls. Voice and data would be going through GPRS. Check the status of your connection in more depth with Manage Connections > Services Status

That should help you out
    07-28-08 01:30 PM
    Note: you said 4.5 version of software does not have any problem with the N router but actually it is from 4.2.2.184 and up that has no problem with the N router justtt a little note

I got my BB about 2 weeks ago from T-Mobile, have been having serious issues with transitioning from UMA to EDGE - I haven't transitioned without dropping the call a single time yet. Doing lots of digging this evening, glad to find this thread!

I'm currently using a wireless N router and my BB OS is 4.2.2.180 ...so about to load up the latest OS, hoping this fixes my issue. I'll report here!
    07-29-08 02:02 AM
    I found that i was having major battery drain issue while using UMA on my 8120.

Even with the mobile network turned off and only WIFI enabled i would get less than a day. At work I connect to a Dlink 655 wireless N-router, in G mode of course. My home router is a DD-wrt modified WRH54G, i decided one night to pu the WRH54 into a G only mode, still WPA2 protected, and everything, but only G mode.

HOLY crap, my battery is lasting a ton longer, 3 days rather than 1, i did some searching, the 8120, and any WIFI enable device is killed by the constant mode switching, A/B/G/N, blah blah.

so set your routers to a set mode, B or G is fine, i prefer go cause all my hardware is G and see the battery life soar.
    Last edited by augurseer; 07-29-08 at 10:51 AM.
    07-29-08 10:37 AM
    Ok new issue. So I have the panera bread wifi profile saved so when I enter panera, it switches to it. However it is an unstable connection and keeps dropping back to mobile. What I really don't get is the fact that even when I have dropped wifi it sometimes still says "panera" on the main screen even when the wifi icon is not darkened. So then if I manually scan for wifi I can usually connect again but sometimes it does automatically. Why doesn't it do that automatically all the time? How can I ameliorate my wifi stability? Thanks!

Last edited by PianoMan99; 07-29-08 at 12:43 PM.
    07-29-08 12:34 PM
    HOLY crap, my battery is lasting a ton longer, 3 days rather than 1, i did some searching, the 8120, and any WIFI enable device is killed by the constant mode switching, A/B/G/N, blah blah.

so set your routers to a set mode, B or G is fine, i prefer go cause all my hardware is G and see the battery life soar.
    Exactly correct!! Constantly scanning or mode-switching can cause a decrease in battery life!! If you have a strong, reliable WiFi connection then your device does not have to work to maintain a connection... this helps with battery life a lot!!

Ok new issue. So I have the panera bread wifi profile saved so when I enter panera, it switches to it. However it is an unstable connection and keeps dropping back to mobile. What I really don't get is the fact that even when I have dropped wifi it sometimes still says "panera" on the main screen even when the wifi icon is not darkened. So then if I manually scan for wifi I can usually connect again. Why doesn't it do that automatically? How can I ameliorate my wifi stability? Thanks!
    If the wireless signal is weak enough that you are continually dropping, then it is probably not worth connecting to. The UMA functionality will be poor on a bad signal and browsing speeds will suffer. On top of that, battery life will decrease.

To answer you question, I am not sure why the Berry does that! I have had this occur on a few occasions when attempting to connect to really weak signals. If I am ever disconnected from a stronger WiFi signal for some reason, my device does just as you described and automatically searches and connects. For weaker signals, the Berry may not be able to make a clean connection or it may not have strong enough WiFi reception!

If the public access point you are connected to is extremely busy and has a weak signal, many problems such as this can arise
    07-29-08 12:46 PM
    Thanks for your reply. The wifi signal is -85 dBm. Is that weak? I want to ensure that it is a weak signal and not a problem with my berry. Thanks!

Last edited by PianoMan99; 07-29-08 at 12:55 PM.
    07-29-08 12:51 PM
    Thanks for your reply. The wifi signal is -85 dBm. Is that weak? I want to ensure that it is a weak signal and not a problem with my berry. Thanks!

hmm, strange... I am glad you thought to mention that and actually post the signal strength! No, -85 dB is not a weak signal at all... you should be operating fine!

But, this does not chalk it up to a device issue!! I assume your device works on other WiFi networks...

Regardless, there are a number of things to take into consideration before blaming the device! Panera's WiFi network could be to blame... their router configuration, load on the access point, etc. The ISP at Panera may be flakey... there may be other WiFi networks near by that cause interference.
    07-29-08 01:00 PM
    There are no other wifi networks around that I pick up. However this is the only wifi I have ever connected to. I have to find another signal to make sure that is the issue. Thanks again.

07-29-08 01:04 PM
    There are no other wifi networks around that I pick up. However this is the only wifi I have ever connected to. I have to find another signal to make sure that is the issue. Thanks again.

Yeah, no prob! And if you have the unlimited data plan (as you stated above)... then why do you need to connect to WiFI? Are you using UMA to make calls and what not??

Just curious!
    07-29-08 01:06 PM
    No I just think wifi is faster for web browsing than mobile when I happen to be at panera. Uma is also not stable here so I don't use it. My connection data rate on wifi here is 54 Mbps. Is that also good?

07-29-08 01:10 PM
    No I just think wifi is faster for web browsing than mobile when I happen to be at panera. Uma is also not stable here so I don't use it. My connection data rate on wifi here is 54 Mbps. Is that also good?

54 Mbps is the standard connection speed for Wireless G
    07-29-08 01:17 PM
    this post is great!
    if i used "wifi preferred" will i still be charged data?
    if i use "wifi only" i can't conntect to the internet or make phone calls as my connection gets disconnected!

Thanks for the hlep!!
    07-31-08 12:56 PM
    this post is great!
    if i used "wifi preferred" will i still be charged data?
    if i use "wifi only" i can't conntect to the internet or make phone calls as my connection gets disconnected!

Thanks for the hlep!!
    Thanks for the compliment!!

The browsing is not dependant on that setting!! Please read carefully in Section 2, this tells you how to configure your browser for WiFi browsing and will not rack up charges for data!!

Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    07-31-08 12:58 PM
    but isn't "wifi preferred" mean that if you don't have a strong wifi signal then it will use data from your provider?

that's what i have heard...im not sure if it's true or not, because i know some providers restrict wifi only etc etc...

so when you're surfing they will still ding you on data via wifi prefered....
    no?

Thanks
    07-31-08 01:51 PM
    but isn't "wifi preferred" mean that if you don't have a strong wifi signal then it will use data from your provider?

that's what i have heard...im not sure if it's true or not, because i know some providers restrict wifi only etc etc...

so when you're surfing they will still ding you on data via wifi prefered....
    no?

Thanks
    As I have mentioned multiple times during this discussion (and even make note of within the actual guide), the WiFi preferred setting is for voice and data connection! This deals with transmitting SMS, MMS, voice, email and data!!

This is not releated at all to the BlackBerry Browser. Browsing is independent of the UMA / EDGE connection and solely dependent on your WiFi connection and browser configuration!

I hope that helps clarify
    08-01-08 12:12 AM
    WOOOOOoooOOOTTT wifi w/out data DINGS!!

Thanks so much man u're beyond genius status
    haha
    XD
    08-01-08 12:42 AM
    Great guide. I assume since the BB browser setup is independant of the browser I'm using. So if I set to WiFi prefered and automatically pick up as saved network, Opera Mini will use WiFi for browsing.
    08-02-08 11:28 AM
    firstly i'd like to say thanks for posting such a good tutorial.
    secondly, i just got my first blackberry every, and i'm feeling overwhelmed so i apologize in advance if any of these questions are reduntant:

the part i am stuck on is in part 2, where u write:
    Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home / Manage Connections /
    Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the
    WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device
    will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the voice portion of your device. You will need to manually change from WiFi browser to 'Internet' browser)

You can change this setting to whatever you may desire... and the options are self-explanatory:
    Mobile Network Only -- Will not use the WiFi connection to make any calls (browsing still available)
    Mobile Network Preferred -- will only use WiFi when the Mobile Network is unavailable (in poor service areas)
    WiFi Only -- Will only make UMA calls over WiFi, even if mobile network is available
    WiFi Preferred -- will make UMA calls when a WiFi network is available, mobile network if not available
    i'm not familiar with the blackberry terminology and labels, so i'm stuck at figuring out what is considered to be "Home", from where u go to "manage connections".

a seperate question, but related, is if i am not on a data plan, and therefore do not want any data usage, how can i turn off edge to avoid these charges?
    08-02-08 12:45 PM
    firstly i'd like to say thanks for posting such a good tutorial.
    secondly, i just got my first blackberry every, and i'm feeling overwhelmed so i apologize in advance if any of these questions are reduntant:

the part i am stuck on is in part 2, where u write:

i'm not familiar with the blackberry terminology and labels, so i'm stuck at figuring out what is considered to be "Home", from where u go to "manage connections".

The Home Screen is just your application screen. There is a "Manage Connections" application

a seperate question, but related, is if i am not on a data plan, and therefore do not want any data usage, how can i turn off edge to avoid these charges?

Once again, if you want to turn off the data connection, you can do this from the "Manage Connections" as well. You simply go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services > Off
    I hope that helps, and I am really glad you found my tutorial helpful. The compliments are much appreciated by everyone
    08-02-08 02:42 PM
    Awesome! thanks so much. the help is also appreciated
    08-02-08 07:20 PM
    I set up wifi peer this post, and I'm currently doing wifi web surfing and posting right now!

08-02-08 07:33 PM
601 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD