is BBM compatible with wifi?

now what if I drop my email only data plan...im gonna guess it def won't work then
    07-18-08 10:51 AM
    is BBM compatible with wifi?

now what if I drop my email only data plan...im gonna guess it def won't work then
    BBM does not work with WiFi only!!

What data plan do you have currently? It seems like you have email only...

does BBM work with email only? or not?
    07-18-08 10:53 AM
    BBM does not work with WiFi only!!

What data plan do you have currently? It seems like you have email only...

does BBM work with email only? or not?
    yes, with t-mobile they have the option for email only (no other data) for $10/month. and yes, it does work with BBM perfectly.

otherwise for email plus data its $20/month, and $30/month for enterprise servers.

can't wait to get my new curve and cruise on the wifi!
    07-18-08 11:00 AM
    That is good to know!! I always thought the $9.99 email addon was for email only... no BBM. I might have to jump ship now and add that!!

Thanks for the info!!
    07-18-08 11:03 AM
    That is good to know!! I always thought the $9.99 email addon was for email only... no BBM. I might have to jump ship now and add that!!

Thanks for the info!!
    yea glad I could finally help, lol

its def nice tho that TMO offers the email only...prob gonna be the best package if you have wifi to go along with it! (and my college campus has wifi too )
    07-18-08 11:10 AM
    I was taking a stab @ verizon and your liberal use of !!!!!!! I can only wonder, Why all the yelling? I thank you for the welcome I guess. if there is a problem read the original post. Thanks T
    Please read my guide... I specifically state the devices that WiFi is available on!!

The xx30 devices are not WiFi capable!! So, Verizon has no WiFi capable devices... they are not locking anything out! You have GPS though.

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    07-18-08 11:14 AM
    I was taking a stab @ verizon and your liberal use of !!!!!!! I can only wonder, Why all the yelling? I thank you for the welcome I guess. if there is a problem read the original post. Thanks T
    I was not yelling. For some reason I use '!s' a lot... but if I was yelling, I would TYPE IN ALL CAPS!! I was being kind and referring you to the section where I said that in the OP, and I was clarifying to that if others have the same question as well... they can look in the FAQ section I made and find the answer!!

No need to be smart... and I was being welcoming when I said welcome to the community, I was not being sarcastic or anything along those lines
    07-18-08 11:16 AM
    When you change your default browser back and forth, the settings for the browser do not change... so make sure all of the boxes are checked, emulation is set to BlackBerry, etc for BOTH version of the browser (WiFi and Internet!).

As for the question about CrackBerry... make sure you are going to wap.crackberry.com on both of the browsers (WiFi and internet). That should fix all your problems!
    That was it! I had a couple if settings wrong in the internet browser. I think I'm getting the hang of this (with a little help, lol.)
    07-18-08 11:30 AM
    That was it! I had a couple if settings wrong in the internet browser. I think I'm getting the hang of this (with a little help, lol.)
    That is what the guide is here for man! Glad it is helping!

Is there anything you think I should add to the guide to make things more clear?? I thought I covered everything, but another perspective is good.
    07-18-08 11:35 AM
    Sorry if I came off as smart... And don't get me wrong I'm not starting a flame war, but it came off a little condescending with the assumption that I didn't read the 10 previous pages of posts thanks for the warm welcome!! Hehe
    I was not yelling. For some reason I use '!s' a lot... but if I was yelling, I would TYPE IN ALL CAPS!! I was being kind and referring you to the section where I said that in the OP, and I was clarifying to that if others have the same question as well... they can look in the FAQ section I made and find the answer!!

No need to be smart... and I was being welcoming when I said welcome to the community, I was not being sarcastic or anything along those lines
    07-18-08 11:36 AM
    Sorry if I came off as smart... And don't get me wrong I'm not starting a flame war, but it came off a little condescending with the assumption that I didn't read the 10 previous pages of posts thanks for the warm welcome!! Hehe
    Yeah, no prob man!! I am happy to help and do not mean to start beef, especially with a brand new member!!

That question was specifically answered in the FAQs within my guide...(within the first 3 posts of the thread...). I am not upset or anything at all, I am an easy-going person! I just wanted to make you aware that it was answered within the guide!
    07-18-08 11:47 AM
    Wow I havent used the hotspot browser since 4.5.0.52 and its blazing fast over UMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-19-08 02:59 PM
    ***Reserved***
    does this work on the verizon 8330? if so how do i set it up?
    07-21-08 11:16 AM
    does this work on the verizon 8330? if so how do i set it up?
    Welcome to CrackBerry!! And no, this does not work on the 8330

This works on any xx20 device (currently). Please take the time to read in the future, as I answered this in the FAQ section and during the discussion after the guide...
    07-21-08 11:21 AM
    First, thanks for this how-to and TIA for reading this long post.I was able to connect to WiFi pretty easily. (Carrier = TMO, BB curve 8320, no data plan, no @ home plan, etc. Just voice plan)

Now the problem I have is I can't "use" the WiFi much. Now, I don't want to use the WiFi for making UMA calls (for, I'm good with my whenever minutes). So I don't have my T-mobile @home plan for making unlimited UMA calls. However, I really want to use the WiFi to surf the web. I bought this phone (yesterday) after checking with a TMO store that I'd be able to surf the web for free if I have my own WiFi. But it seems like it is not true.

The reason I need to surf the web is b'cos I have an upcoming month long trip to Europe. The hotel there has free WiFi and I must have the capability to surf the web, check hotmail/yahoo mail/gmail, pay bills online, etc. Can I not do this? Do I have to request TMO to unlock the phone? Or do I have to enroll in any plan? (When I tried to access hotmail.com, I got a msg "enroll in a monthly we plan for $5.99 so I can access "many more" websites. Is this what I shud do?
    When I use WiFi, I see the connection from:
    BB --> wifi router --> tmobile network --> then WWW.
    I thought the connection will be:
    BB --> wifi router --> then directly toWWW. Bingo!. (Just like I'd connect my laptop to wifi and WWW).

Can you please help? Thanks.
    07-21-08 12:58 PM
    You should check the section of the guide for configuring the Browser

You just need to change your default browser from Internet to WiFi browser... and then you will be all set!! Welcome to CrackBerry and glad I could help!

*This is in Step 2 of the Guide...*
    07-21-08 01:05 PM
    Thanks for the resp.
    I didn't do step 2 before. Sorry about that. But now I can't even see the message that I saw. When I open the browser and click on "Home Page" under blackberry bookmarks link, it just times out saying not getting response or something. Now, when I tried now (menu -> options -> Advanced Options-> Browser) I just see one option for "default browser config": 1) tzones or 2) wifi browser. I chose the latter. And still can't connect to broser (just times out).

WiFi Diagnostics has the following:
    WiFi
    Current Profile : "Blah-blah"
    SSID: "Blah-blah"
    AP MAC Address: xxxxxxx
    Security type: open
    Local IP address: xxx:xx:xxx:xxx
    Signal level

From the above, I'd think I'm connected. I also see my SSID in the top, just under today's date and time.
    Also, if I'm not connected to wi-fi and when I try to access the browser, I get this msg "This is a wi-fi service. Please ensure your device has an active wi-fi connection and try again."

I don't see "Menu / Options /Browser Configuration" s u said in step 2.
    Also, I don't see the following:
    All of the formatting boxes are checked : (JavaScript, Java Popups, Terminate slow running scripts, HTML Tables, ForeGround and BackGround Colors, BackGround Images, Embedded Media, Style Sheets)
    Show Images : On WML & HTML Pages
    Emulation Mode : BlackBerry
    Start Page : Start Page (Set to your liking)
    Home Page Adress : Set to your liking

I think my OS is v4.2.2.180. Don't know if this makes any diff. Am I supposed to be on 4.5.x.x?

I feel I'm very close. Can you help me? Thanks.
    07-21-08 03:25 PM
    You need to open the Browser, then hit Menu > Options > etc. You do not do that from the Home Screen!!

It seems like you are close to getting connected! Have you tried to power cylce the router? (pull power cord and wait a little bit and plug back in) Not sure why, but sometimes this helps instigate a connection
    07-21-08 03:34 PM
    Duh! Was able to follow step 2 now! Am sure I have more dumb questions in store.
    Don't have access to router now, will try it tonight @ home. Thanks again!
    07-21-08 04:26 PM
    My next BB will almost certainly have wifi and this is thread is where I will be coming to get set up lol.

Great guide bmcclure
    07-21-08 04:31 PM
    My next BB will almost certainly have wifi and this is thread is where I will be coming to get set up lol.

Great guide bmcclure
    Thanks for the compliment!! Glad you can use my guide as a resource!
    07-21-08 06:16 PM
    Was able to connect my BB to WiFi @ work! Guess it was choppy in the morning. Seems to be fine now. I downloaded opera mini browser also and installed.
    I'll be searching all BB howTos so I can install applications that I think I'd need.
    Thanks much!
    07-21-08 06:53 PM
    Thanks for the education .............very helpful indeed!
    07-25-08 07:37 AM
    Ok so I just got my Blackberry, I followed the instructions for changing my browser to hotspot instead of tzones, and I was able to get to the page to download the yahoo app...then when I try to go to a different website, I get the same error message that I don't have access to any sites (I tried crackberry), even when I haven't changed any settings. Please help!
    07-27-08 08:07 PM
    Ok so I just got my Blackberry, I followed the instructions for changing my browser to hotspot instead of tzones, and I was able to get to the page to download the yahoo app...then when I try to go to a different website, I get the same error message that I don't have access to any sites (I tried crackberry), even when I haven't changed any settings. Please help!
    First off, Welcome to CrackBerry!

Are you on a data plan, or using strictly WiFi?? If you step through my WiFi guide, it should fix this problem you are having.... if you care connected to WiFi and can access on page, you should be able to access any
    07-27-08 10:02 PM
601 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD