One more question concerning hotspot@home, if I were to have two wifi phones (curve and 8120 pearl for example) under my account would I have to pay 20 dollars (10 dollar add on to each account) or would it just be sufficient to have it on the main number to take advantage of UMA calling for both lines since it is the same account (family plan)?
    Thanks in advance.
    07-07-08 08:48 AM
    If you add Hotspot@Home to your family plan, all lines on the plan with WiFi capability are able to make unlimited calls over UMA for free
    07-07-08 08:51 AM
    I talked to ATT today and found out that a prerequisite to using the wifi on the ATT 8820 is to have a data plan. Thanks for your help. Man...
    Try checking that information again. I have the 8820 with ATT and using wifi presents no problem. Even if the wifi checkmark is yellow, you are able to use wifi. Just remember to set the browser in "wifi" or use opera mini and set to use wifi. Jivetalk and logicmail will also work very well.

Simon
    07-07-08 09:04 AM
    Forgive me for this dumb question, but is this in lieu of having a data plan, or for added speed when browsing, or....??? Why would you connect to a wi-fi network if you have a data plan? Sorry, I'm new.

Also: The simplest and most straight forward way to get your device connected to your WiFi connection is to run the 'Setting Up WiFi' wizard (The Wireless Router Icon on your Home Screen).
    (NOTE: This Wizard can also be run from Home / Manage Connections / Set Up Wi-Fi Network)

I don't have any of these options on my 8330 curve.
    Last edited by juliasmut; 07-11-08 at 12:47 PM.
    07-11-08 12:25 PM
    Forgive me for this dumb question, but is this in lieu of having a data plan, or for added speed when browsing, or....??? Why would you connect to a wi-fi network if you have a data plan? Sorry, I'm new.

Also: The simplest and most straight forward way to get your device connected to your WiFi connection is to run the 'Setting Up WiFi' wizard (The Wireless Router Icon on your Home Screen).
    (NOTE: This Wizard can also be run from Home / Manage Connections / Set Up Wi-Fi Network)

I don't have any of these options on my 8330 curve.
    I am sorry, but Verizon does not have any devices that are WiFi capable!

If you notice... I make a note of the devices this guide applied to:
    Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why do I not see the WiFi option when I go to "Manage Connections"?? / What devices have WiFi functionality??

A: You do not see that option if your device is not supported. The devices that currently support WiFi are the 8120, 8320 and 8820. All other devices do not support WiFi, as of the time of this post!
    07-11-08 12:53 PM
    Thanks for the wonderful information, I am a newbie and found your documentation very informative and easy to follow. Thank you again.
    07-11-08 01:06 PM
    Thanks for the wonderful information, I am a newbie and found your documentation very informative and easy to follow. Thank you again.
    Thank you very much!! I appreciate the compliment and Welcome to CrackBerry!
    07-11-08 05:59 PM
    Thanks for a great lesson plan, Mac! As I mentioned in a thread, I'm getting a microwave wireless internet hookup in a few days. Your post has answered nearly all of the questions I had about using wifi for calls with my Curve 8320. The only question I can think of has to do with the router I will need. My ISP wants me to purchase a linksys router so it will be available when they arrive to install their dish and service. Should I but a good quality router or should I buy T-Mobile's linksys router? I was just wondering if TMo's router would work for the ISP's system and with TMo for wifi calling. What do you think? I do have the unlimited data and text plans with my service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 07-11-08 at 11:17 PM.
    07-11-08 11:13 PM
    The TMobile branded router is practically identical to other Linksys routers. I would recommend the Linksys WRT54G, which you can get for around $40 or $50.

TMobile has their routers pre-configured for 'best calling conditions' and whatnot, but your default settings on a Linksys router will work fine! I will look into the TMo router settings at some point and post them on this thread, but it will only make a minor diffeference.

You can get TMo's router if you like, but it is not necessary
    07-12-08 01:42 PM
    Thanks! I kind of thought TMo would try to sell me theirs even if I didn't need it. I am really excited about this, guess you couldn't tell.

Mike
    Last edited by exelant; 07-13-08 at 04:45 PM.
    07-12-08 02:01 PM
    Subscribing
    07-14-08 02:27 PM
    I'm still having issues connection to wi-fi. I followed all of your troubleshooting advice, but i think the issue lies with MAC filters. Although i have added the mac address to my router settings, i still get a connection failed. Although, the wi-fi diagnostics shows connectivitey to my router.

(Device failed to associate with AP)
    07-14-08 05:20 PM
    Great post bmcclure937!

What would I do without my Crackberry.com??
    Probably go crazy trying to figure this BB stuff out!
    07-15-08 11:40 AM
    OK Mac! We're in business! The wireless installers just left, as soon as they were gone, I went through the steps you laid out and I'm on the wifi! I tried a few UMA calls and everyone was clear as can be. It really makes a difference having a max bar signal! I was only getting one bar from the neighbor's wifi and wasn't able to jump on theirs. No problems with my own service!

I set my curve to the default settings you set out in the steps. Anything I should look for in performance? It seems the wifi connection is quicker. Yea! The only test left is make sure it switches to the regular T-Mobile network when I go out of range of my home network.

The only question I have is whether my wife can use her Nokia N95 8gb on our wifi network. It says it's wifi capable but the CS rep said her phone wouldn't work? It may be because he isn't familiar with her phone because it isn't sold in the US. I'll find out when she gets home tonight.

Anyway, THANKS. Your instructions were so easy to follow and I had no problems at all! I recommend them to everyone reading this post.
    Mike

PS The wireless installers said the router you recommended was perfect [and it was on sale for $40]. They laughed about the Best Buy people trying to sell me a $125 N router. They also said they didn't like the T-Mobile brand - but didn't say why.

PPS I forgot to mention, my Step Mom's dad taught at Ohio State from the 1920's to the 1970's. Here's to beating Michigan!

Last edited by exelant; 07-15-08 at 05:19 PM.
    07-15-08 05:06 PM
    OK Mac! We're in business! The wireless installers just left, as soon as they were gone, I went through the steps you laid out and I'm on the wifi! I tried a few UMA calls and everyone was clear as can be. It really makes a difference having a max bar signal! I was only getting one bar from the neighbor's wifi and wasn't able to jump on theirs. No problems with my own service!

I set my curve to the default settings you set out in the steps. Anything I should look for in performance? It seems the wifi connection is quicker. Yea! The only test left is make sure it switches to the regular T-Mobile network when I go out of range of my home network.

The only question I have is whether my wife can use her Nokia N95 8gb on our wifi network. It says it's wifi capable but the CS rep said her phone wouldn't work? It may be because he isn't familiar with her phone because it isn't sold in the US. I'll find out when she gets home tonight.

Anyway, THANKS. Your instructions were so easy to follow and I had no problems at all! I recommend them to everyone reading this post.
    Mike

PS The wireless installers said the router you recommended was perfect [and it was on sale for $40]. They laughed about the Best Buy people trying to sell me a $125 N router. They also said they didn't like the T-Mobile brand - but didn't say why.

PPS I forgot to mention, my Step Mom's dad taught at Ohio State from the 1920's to the 1970's. Here's to beating Michigan!

Rock on! Glad I could help!

(And they may not have recommended the TMobile branded router because there were a few different models... the Linksys one is great and I have used it!! It is the same as the one you got but it has TMobile slapped on it and a couple different default settings. There is also a way to have "one-button" connection. The D-Link one was subpar, to say the least!)

I recommend setting up wireless encryption on your router ASAP. This will keep the neighbors from hijacking your wireless and keep you secure. Also, do a site survey by following my instructions and make sure your router is not set to a channel in proximity to your neighbor's router... this will help with interference
    07-15-08 05:26 PM
    One problem, when I tried to go to Crackberry with the curve when away from my home wifi, I get an error message - this is a wifi service. Please ensure your device has an active wifi connection and try again. Hmmm. what setting do I need to change? I started a thread in the wifi area about this in case someone online knew the answer.
    Last edited by exelant; 07-16-08 at 07:42 AM.
    07-16-08 07:37 AM
    Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home / Manage Connections /
    Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the
    WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device
    will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the voice portion of your device. You will need to manually change from WiFi browser to 'Internet' browser)
    When you are out of range of WiFi and using your data plan for internet, etc. You need to go into the Browser settings and change the default browser to 'Internet Browser'!!

It is attempting to use the WiFi browser right now...
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-16-08 at 07:49 AM.
    07-16-08 07:43 AM
    That's it. Duh-oh. I'm guessing I need to change it back when I'm near a WiFi connection - just like you say in the instructions. The older one gets....

Thanks Mac.
    07-16-08 08:12 AM
    That's it. Duh-oh. I'm guessing I need to change it back when I'm near a WiFi connection - just like you say in the instructions. The older one gets....

Thanks Mac.
    Yeah. It is a shame that there is no option built into the OS or the browser for WiFi preferred. This is only for the voice connection

It would be nice to have an app or a feature in the BBOS or Browser that automatically changes between WiFi / EDGE for browsing and data connection! (like the WiFi preferred for UMA...) Wishful thinking though
    07-16-08 09:24 AM
    New here and wanted to say thanks for the informative post. Wifi is working great on my 8120, I put in the WEP key and it connected to my Netgear G router with no problems. UMA calls sound very good, and I've installed and tested Opera Mini, tiggit mail, and the Google desktop search. I wish the other Google desktop apps worked via Wifi, I use Google Calendar all the time and I wish I could integrate it with my BB calendar. Maybe someday soon!
    07-17-08 10:50 AM
    New here and wanted to say thanks for the informative post. Wifi is working great on my 8120, I put in the WEP key and it connected to my Netgear G router with no problems. UMA calls sound very good, and I've installed and tested Opera Mini, tiggit mail, and the Google desktop search. I wish the other Google desktop apps worked via Wifi, I use Google Calendar all the time and I wish I could integrate it with my BB calendar. Maybe someday soon!
    Glad my guide was helpful!! And welcome to CrackBerry!!

That would be great if all of the Google Apps worked on WiFi only... I can only dream
    07-17-08 10:57 AM
    I have another question about browsing away from my home WiFi. When I go to Crackberry on my Curve and I am in the internet browser setting, I keep getting the old CB desktop view?! When I'm home and change the setting to WiFi, I see the new CB view. What is causing this? Also, when in WiFi mode and I go to the BB home page I'm sent to the BB help screen. But I am sent to the regular BB home screen when the browser is in Internet mode and I'm away from WIFI. Strange.
    07-18-08 08:08 AM
    I have another question about browsing away from my home WiFi. When I go to Crackberry on my Curve and I am in the internet browser setting, I keep getting the old CB desktop view?! When I'm home and change the setting to WiFi, I see the new CB view. What is causing this? Also, when in WiFi mode and I go to the BB home page I'm sent to the BB help screen. But I am sent to the regular BB home screen when the browser is in Internet mode and I'm away from WIFI. Strange.
    When you change your default browser back and forth, the settings for the browser do not change... so make sure all of the boxes are checked, emulation is set to BlackBerry, etc for BOTH version of the browser (WiFi and Internet!).

As for the question about CrackBerry... make sure you are going to wap.crackberry.com on both of the browsers (WiFi and internet). That should fix all your problems!
    07-18-08 08:13 AM
    Is it just me or does verizon have this blocked out for the 8330 curve. Verizon just loosen up a little will ya, if it wasn't for the great coverage I would switch.
    07-18-08 09:22 AM
    Is it just me or does verizon have this blocked out for the 8330 curve. Verizon just loosen up a little will ya, if it wasn't for the great coverage I would switch.
    Please read my guide... I specifically state the devices that WiFi is available on!!

Q: Why do I not see the WiFi option when I go to "Manage Connections"?? / What devices have WiFi functionality??

A: You do not see that option if your device is not supported. The devices that currently support WiFi are the 8120, 8320 and 8820. All other devices do not support WiFi, as of the time of this post!
    The xx30 devices are not WiFi capable!! So, Verizon has no WiFi capable devices... they are not locking anything out! You have GPS though.

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    07-18-08 09:28 AM
601 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD