Note : This guide only pertains to WiFi capable BlackBerries. The tested devices currently include models 8120, 8320 and 8820. (Other devices may also be WiFi capable but I have been unable to test them)

Introduction :

There are countless advantages to having the added benefit of WiFi on your BlackBerry. WiFi has the potential to change your BlackBerry and really add a lot of functionality. The ability to browse the web over WiFi and make calls over WiFi using UMA are a couple of the main advantages.

In order to utilize your Berry's WiFi to its full capacity, there are a number of things to consider.

In this How-To guide, I will detail the steps needed to get the most out of your WiFi.

Prerequisites :

To make sure your BlackBerry will behave well when using WiFi, verify that your router is configured in a way that will work well with your device.

NOTE : Wireless N Routers are not yet fully supported by BlackBerries and are known to cause issues
    If you are using a Wireless N router, take the time to set it to use Wireless G mode only...
    or else you will run into serious problems and will not be able to use WiFi. If you are running
    any version of OS 4.5, this is not an issue and Wireless N should work without problems.
    (As user SebasC noted : Any device running OS 4.2.2.184 or above should work on Wireless N networks!!)

For most other routers, your standard wireless configuration should be adequate. You may have to tweak settings if you run into problems later in this process.

Step 1 : Configuring your Berry (Setting Up WiFi)

The simplest and most straight forward way to get your device connected to your WiFi connection is to run the 'Setting Up WiFi' wizard (The Wireless Router Icon on your Home Screen).

(NOTE: This Wizard can also be run from Home Screen > Manage Connections > Set Up Wi-Fi Network)

Once you start the wizard, you will be presented with a few options. If it is your first time running the wizard,
    then a small 'Read-Me' will appear, giving you the option to hide the next time you use the wizard.

From there, you have these THREE options; Scan for Networks, Manually Add Network or Get Security Key

Scan for Networks : Used to scan and automatically find available networks. Once complete, you can
    select the desired network to connect to

Manually Add Network : Used to enter in the network name manually (if known) and configure your
    connection without scanning for all available networks

Get Security Key : This option is used in conjuction with the T-Mobile branded routers and automates
    the connection and security process

The majority of users will continue by selecting the first option, so that will be the first option covered!

Step 1(a) : Scan for Networks

Select 'Scan for Networks' and your device will begin to scan for all available WiFi connections within range. If your WiFi is not enabled on your device, then it will prompt you to power on the WiFi before continuing... so select 'Turn WiFi On'.

Your Berry will then begin the scan for available WiFi networks and say "Searching for available Wi-Fi networks..." on the screen. Depending on the site survey, this could take from 10 to 45 seconds (the fewer the available networks, the less time it takes).

Once it is done scanning, a list of available networks is compiled and displayed. Now, select the network you desire to connect to. A couple of things can happen at this point...

• If the wireless network is unsecured, then your Berry will automatically connect to the open network.
    • If the wireless network is secured, then you will be prompted to enter the security key associated with that network.
      Remember, the passphrase for the security key is case-sensitive.

We will discuss the benefits of wireless security along with other 'advanced' router settings later in this guide.

(NOTE : The networks list provides a quick overview of the available networks and displays the signal strength, security and SSID of each network. To get more detailed info from the network list, highlight the desired network, press Menu > Network Details)

Step 1(b) : Manually Add Network

Similar to scanning for available networks, manually adding networks will connect to the network you specify. This is recommended only if you know the exact SSID and security of the router. If either of these is unknown, then the addition of the network will result in failure.

If you do know the required information and prefer to manually add your network, then follow the prompts on your device. Input the network name, type of security and the security key... your Berry will then attempt to find the network and connect.

NOTE: Manually adding networks is not recommended unless you know all of the network information!
    This can also be used as a backup plan if connecting through step 1(A) results in a failure!

Step 1(c) : Get Security Key

The third option works on T-Mobile supplied routers ONLY!! If you are using a personal router, not supplied by T-Mobile for HotSpot@Home, then this option does not apply!

Many people will never have the need to explore this menu, even if they do have a T-Mobile router.
    (since many people will choose to tweak the TMo router settings manually)

If you do use one of the standard TMo routers with the default settings. Then when you select the option to Get Security Key you will be prompted through a series of steps to connect 'automatically' and 'securely' to your TMo router.

In a nutshell, this is done by pressing the 'KEY' button on your router, receiving a security key, and then connecting to the WiFi! Refer to your TMo router's "quick-start" guide for more help. The WiFi connection wizard on your Berry also walks through this process for you.
    Do all Tours have this option . I just got mine and am not seeing aWiFi option ,Thanks
    12-01-09 09:50 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the post; I learned alot from it!

I went thru all of your suggestions for troubleshooting and i'm still having issues connecting to my home network.

I have a BB 9700, running 5.0.0.296 and I have a Netgear N wireless router. I am able to connect to the network (under Wi-Fi Diagnostics, the status is "Network Aquired", at 54 Mbps, and a -49 dBm signal level).

Most of the time the "WiFi" icon is grayed out but I see the network name at the top of the screen next to AT&T. If I get on the browser while at home, I sometimes can get the "WiFi" icon to be lit but I won't be able to get on any sites including crackberry or CNN. But the icon doesn't stay lit for long and it will switch back to 3G.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong??

(I've already put the modem and router thru a full power cycle, and did a complete reset of the router. I have turned off all access control from the router as well)
    12-05-09 07:23 PM
    Hi all, I wonder if any of you could help me..
    my cousin is using a 8900. He has a data plan and is currently out of country. On his first days, he could use BBM and msn through wifi (he turned off his mobile network), but after he restarted his berry (after installing some updates), BBM doesn't work anymore.

It appears as if he doesn't have data plan anymore now, and all he could do is just browsing and msn through online sites like e-buddy.

Any idea about how to solve this?

ThanKs!
    12-06-09 02:03 AM
    Great guide! wish I looked for it when I was setting up wi-fi when I first got my phone!
    12-13-09 10:53 AM
    Thank you for the info!
    12-13-09 11:54 PM
    Hello!I am new here!I just bought my first bb and i don`t have yet a data plan ...wifi doesn`t work.my phone recognizes the wifi signal but the status at wi-fi diagnostics is network acquired...what should i do?
    12-14-09 11:16 AM
    Great Guide Thanks..
    12-14-09 07:07 PM
    hi pls help how to configure the wifi router at home
    12-16-09 01:48 AM
    Wow, thank-you so much! I was going insane trying to figure out why I was dropping calls at home. I disabled the N-band and now it works like a charm!!!
    12-16-09 09:23 AM
    The Tour does not have WIFI
    12-21-09 07:55 AM
    "Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the mobile network connection of your device. You will need to manually change from 'WiFi browser' to 'Internet' browser... and vise versa)

You can change this setting to whatever you may desire... and the options are self-explanatory:
    Mobile Network Only -- Will not use the WiFi connection to make any calls (browsing still available)
    Mobile Network Preferred -- will only use WiFi when the Mobile Network is unavailable (in poor service areas)
    WiFi Only -- Will only make UMA calls over WiFi, even if mobile network is available
    WiFi Preferred -- will make UMA calls when a WiFi network is available, mobile network if not available "

Ok so my wifi works and this was a great article... Thank you,

Only problem. what i quoted above.. i have the sprint 8530 with 5.0 os and when i get to the mobile network options. I dont see the next step "connection preferences". Is there another way to set it wifi as the preferences.. or does it do it automatically now? thank you
    12-21-09 07:35 PM
    Great Guide
    12-21-09 09:26 PM
    Very well written +1
    12-21-09 11:01 PM
    thank you so much for the infos!
    I am a new user and i have a few questions. Hope that you can answer them

1. What is unlocking for?

2. Is there any ways to get applications like windows live messenger or facebook to work ONLY with Wifi?

3. I bought my 8900 in Indonesia, will it work if i changed the sim card to a singapore sim card?

4. Does jailbreak applies for blackberry? All I know is that many people do it for iPhones.
    12-23-09 10:17 PM
    Assuming you have a blackberry data and email plan you are able to send bbms on just wifi correct?
    12-24-09 10:05 AM
    i dont have a data plan, but how come i see the words edge right next to my signal strength? i run everything on wi-fi. will i be charged?
    12-25-09 10:45 PM
    "Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.
    Hi, I just got my unlocked 8120 (software 4.5.0.161). I managed to connect my WI-FI, configure hotspot browser etc. My question is that when I go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network options, I don;t see "connection preferred". I only have:

Data Service : On/off
    Mobile Network: The name of Service Provider
    Network selection Mode: Automatic/Manual.

How do I fix this?

Also, despite the fact my WI-FI is "connected", if I turn the Data Service to "Off", I am not able to connect to internet although I am using the "hotspot" browser. Is this normal or is it because it's set to connect to Mobile Network/WAP?

I would appreciate any advise to help me with this.

Thanks.
    12-27-09 09:46 AM
    There should be a option for internet service via wifi and phone via cell tower

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 01:55 PM
    Yes there are two internet browser icons, one for Hotspot and the other one for WAP. But, I can't find the "connection preferred" on Manage Connections > Mobile Network options as stated on this thread.
    12-27-09 02:00 PM
    so we have to pay for the BBM? (data charges?)
    12-28-09 07:18 AM
    When I go into Panera or Borders, I see Wi-fi is available. My Curve 8900 shows that I am connected to the network, but I'm not using the wi-fi. When I looked at their instructions they say something about accepting their requirements. How do I connect to their network?
    12-28-09 03:06 PM
    I feel like there are things in this thread that are not applicable two years later. For instance "hotspot browser" causes issues with apps and bookmarks accessing the internet for me. I pretty much reversed everything done here and all is well, connected appropriately to 3G and WIFI as needed. I would be wary of the information here and as many have posted above there is no "wifi preferred" any more. I don't profess to be an expert but wanted to share my findings since getting a wifi berry over the past few days.
    12-28-09 03:28 PM
    just read the Wi-fi help you've provided (i'm impressed)

but when i get to prioritising the network, i go:
    'manage connections' then 'Mobile network options', and the list i get is;

'Data services - on
    mobile network - 02 UK
    Network Selection mode: Automatic'

that gives me no option to prioritise? any suggestions?

i'm on a 8900 Curve by the way
    12-29-09 05:13 AM
    just read the Wi-fi help you've provided (i'm impressed)

but when i get to prioritising the network, i go:
    'manage connections' then 'Mobile network options', and the list i get is;

'Data services - on
    mobile network - 02 UK
    Network Selection mode: Automatic'

that gives me no option to prioritise? any suggestions?

i'm on a 8900 Curve by the way
    As in the Blackberry Help:

Your BlackBerry� device tries to connect to Wi-Fi� networks based on the order in which they appear in your Wi-Fi profile list.

On the Home screen, click the Manage Connections icon.
    Click Wi-Fi Options.
    Highlight a Wi-Fi profile.
    Press the Menu key.
    Click Move.
    Click the new location

- Jon

12-29-09 05:25 AM
    As in the Blackberry Help:

Your BlackBerry� device tries to connect to Wi-Fi� networks based on the order in which they appear in your Wi-Fi profile list.

On the Home screen, click the Manage Connections icon.
    Click Wi-Fi Options.
    Highlight a Wi-Fi profile.
    Press the Menu key.
    Click Move.
    Click the new location

- Jon

Cheers for the reply.
    I fail though, to see how that prioritises my wi-fi over my network signal. That appears to just help your device choose the desired wi-fi (against other wi-fi's

12-29-09 05:37 PM
601 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD