Note : This guide only pertains to WiFi capable BlackBerries. The tested devices currently include models 8120, 8320 and 8820. (Other devices may also be WiFi capable but I have been unable to test them)

Introduction :

There are countless advantages to having the added benefit of WiFi on your BlackBerry. WiFi has the potential to change your BlackBerry and really add a lot of functionality. The ability to browse the web over WiFi and make calls over WiFi using UMA are a couple of the main advantages.

In order to utilize your Berry's WiFi to its full capacity, there are a number of things to consider.

In this How-To guide, I will detail the steps needed to get the most out of your WiFi.

Prerequisites :

To make sure your BlackBerry will behave well when using WiFi, verify that your router is configured in a way that will work well with your device.

NOTE : Wireless N Routers are not yet fully supported by BlackBerries and are known to cause issues
    If you are using a Wireless N router, take the time to set it to use Wireless G mode only...
    or else you will run into serious problems and will not be able to use WiFi. If you are running
    any version of OS 4.5, this is not an issue and Wireless N should work without problems.
    (As user SebasC noted : Any device running OS 4.2.2.184 or above should work on Wireless N networks!!)

For most other routers, your standard wireless configuration should be adequate. You may have to tweak settings if you run into problems later in this process.

Step 1 : Configuring your Berry (Setting Up WiFi)

The simplest and most straight forward way to get your device connected to your WiFi connection is to run the 'Setting Up WiFi' wizard (The Wireless Router Icon on your Home Screen).

(NOTE: This Wizard can also be run from Home Screen > Manage Connections > Set Up Wi-Fi Network)

Once you start the wizard, you will be presented with a few options. If it is your first time running the wizard,
    then a small 'Read-Me' will appear, giving you the option to hide the next time you use the wizard.

From there, you have these THREE options; Scan for Networks, Manually Add Network or Get Security Key

Scan for Networks : Used to scan and automatically find available networks. Once complete, you can
    select the desired network to connect to

Manually Add Network : Used to enter in the network name manually (if known) and configure your
    connection without scanning for all available networks

Get Security Key : This option is used in conjuction with the T-Mobile branded routers and automates
    the connection and security process

The majority of users will continue by selecting the first option, so that will be the first option covered!

Step 1(a) : Scan for Networks

Select 'Scan for Networks' and your device will begin to scan for all available WiFi connections within range. If your WiFi is not enabled on your device, then it will prompt you to power on the WiFi before continuing... so select 'Turn WiFi On'.

Your Berry will then begin the scan for available WiFi networks and say "Searching for available Wi-Fi networks..." on the screen. Depending on the site survey, this could take from 10 to 45 seconds (the fewer the available networks, the less time it takes).

Once it is done scanning, a list of available networks is compiled and displayed. Now, select the network you desire to connect to. A couple of things can happen at this point...

• If the wireless network is unsecured, then your Berry will automatically connect to the open network.
    • If the wireless network is secured, then you will be prompted to enter the security key associated with that network.
      Remember, the passphrase for the security key is case-sensitive.

We will discuss the benefits of wireless security along with other 'advanced' router settings later in this guide.

(NOTE : The networks list provides a quick overview of the available networks and displays the signal strength, security and SSID of each network. To get more detailed info from the network list, highlight the desired network, press Menu > Network Details)

Step 1(b) : Manually Add Network

Similar to scanning for available networks, manually adding networks will connect to the network you specify. This is recommended only if you know the exact SSID and security of the router. If either of these is unknown, then the addition of the network will result in failure.

If you do know the required information and prefer to manually add your network, then follow the prompts on your device. Input the network name, type of security and the security key... your Berry will then attempt to find the network and connect.

NOTE: Manually adding networks is not recommended unless you know all of the network information!
    This can also be used as a backup plan if connecting through step 1(A) results in a failure!

Step 1(c) : Get Security Key

The third option works on T-Mobile supplied routers ONLY!! If you are using a personal router, not supplied by T-Mobile for HotSpot@Home, then this option does not apply!

Many people will never have the need to explore this menu, even if they do have a T-Mobile router.
    (since many people will choose to tweak the TMo router settings manually)

If you do use one of the standard TMo routers with the default settings. Then when you select the option to Get Security Key you will be prompted through a series of steps to connect 'automatically' and 'securely' to your TMo router.

In a nutshell, this is done by pressing the 'KEY' button on your router, receiving a security key, and then connecting to the WiFi! Refer to your TMo router's "quick-start" guide for more help. The WiFi connection wizard on your Berry also walks through this process for you.
    Hi. I have read your manual on Wifi how to. However, my issue is connectin to my jobs wifi guest network. My carrier is with T-Mobile. I don't have any service issues except for when I am at work. Therefore, I'm unable to test the UMA anywhere else. I am completely without service when I'm at work. Since March (when I got my 8900) my wifi, to get UMA service is intermittent. T-Mobile or Rim can't tell me why this is happening. There are 4 strength status bars on the guest wifi network. For weeks at a time I am able to connect and get UMA with no problems. Then all of a sudden for weeks at a time I can't connect. It tells me that it is "Unable to find the requested server." Or that there is a communication problem. Rim told me it was a problem with my jobs server, but several people in my deparment with other BB and wifi laptops are able to get a connection. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    09-16-09 06:53 AM
    My 8900 switches between my wifi and Tmo alot. Tmo service is very hit and miss where I live. I'd think my wifi would be the stronger signal right? My router is set to "mixed" mode b/g, should it be on G only?
    09-16-09 08:50 PM
    I just got my Bold and was able to get Wifi setup on my home network. Interestingly, Wifi wouldn't connect until I unplugged the device from my laptop. Anyway, when I checked my router's Attached Devices screen, I saw "Blackberry-8705" connected with an IP. I've been through all the screens I can find in Wifi and Options, but can not find a way to set this hostname, like I did for Bluetooth. I know it is petty, but does anyone know how to set this name?
    10-06-09 07:42 AM
    I just got my Bold and was able to get Wifi setup on my home network. Interestingly, Wifi wouldn't connect until I unplugged the device from my laptop. Anyway, when I checked my router's Attached Devices screen, I saw "Blackberry-8705" connected with an IP. I've been through all the screens I can find in Wifi and Options, but can not find a way to set this hostname, like I did for Bluetooth. I know it is petty, but does anyone know how to set this name?
    The host name I believe you are talking about is actually the ssid of the router.
    It says on the top of the screen like "ATT-Lynksys" or whatever and you wanna change the "lynksys" to something else? ....... This is doable, to an extent. You have to be the system admin, go into the router through the browser on the PC using either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on your router. enter the username and pass for the router and go in and change the router ssid. Then delete the wifi connection you have on your berry and re-search for the new one. go through the connection process and viola!
    10-06-09 03:38 PM
    i need help w/ my wifi issue... As i connected my BOLD to wifi, it said connection succesfully. Yes i can connect to the internet using my browser. However what i can't do is my BBM or Facebook apps or MSN connection. when i try to use them it said data collection is unavailable? can someone help me pls what's wrong w/ my bb?
    My wife bb doesn't have any problem connecting to the wife and uses all the apps such as facebook or ym or msn or bbm...

When i check my service status under manage connections. it shows
    Mobile Voice
    Connections : Mobile Network
    (k here's the part that i think i'm encountering the problem)
    Blackberry Internet Service
    Connection: Not Connected (My Wife BB shows her connection as Wifi)
    Blackberry Enterprise Server
    Connection: Not Connected (my wife bb also shows as Wifi )

(i skip the mobile network and goes to wifi)
    Wi-Fi Network
    Active Profile: KGEAR
    SSID: KGEAR
    type : 802.11b/g

the wifi information is the same as my wife... how do i make bb internet service to switch its connection to wifi pls help
    Try going into your browser on your berry > options > general properties and change the default browser to hotspot browser as opposed to internet browser. see if that changes anything
    10-06-09 03:43 PM
    The host name I believe you are talking about is actually the ssid of the router.
    It says on the top of the screen like "ATT-Lynksys" or whatever and you wanna change the "lynksys" to something else? ....... This is doable, to an extent. You have to be the system admin, go into the router through the browser on the PC using either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on your router. enter the username and pass for the router and go in and change the router ssid. Then delete the wifi connection you have on your berry and re-search for the new one. go through the connection process and viola!
    Actually, no. I'm not talking about the SSID of the router, I'm talking about the handheld's hostname, as seen on the network. IOW, if my Bold would reply to a ping -a (I don't know if it does), it would respond to the lookup as "Blackberry-8705." So when I look at the list of attached devices on my router, I see all the hostnames of my desktops, laptops, printers, game systems and what appears to be a very old handheld. There ust be a way to change that, just like I can change my Bluetooth I'd to Bry's Bold and my wife's to Julie's Bold.
    10-06-09 05:46 PM
    I think that, that depends on your router. Contained within my router, I have an option to filter access by MAC address. When you set up which MAC address will be allowed to access the Router you can name them there. Although I would think that it would make a difference if you are trying to name the IP that they get designated to. Are you using DHCP or Static? The only way I know how to name them on the network side with DHCP is by MAC address. Static is a different story. I dont know about you but i like having MAC address filtering on just as an added security feature over and above psk-aes2 or whatever your using. hope this helps.
    10-06-09 05:55 PM
    Disregard. I found another post that explained the "8705" isn't a model, but the last 4 of my PIN, and so far noone has found a way to change it.
    10-06-09 06:31 PM
    I am wondering if anyone can help me with my brother's Bold.

His Bold BB does not open any pages when he is on WiFi connection. The browser just keeps requesting the page and then it will say "Connection Timed Out". I am sure it's not a problem with the router or WiFi since everyone else in the household is able to connect the phones through the same router. I have matched up all the WiFi service books of his to mine. it looks exactly the same.

Can anyone help me to troubleshoot this?
    10-09-09 09:51 AM
    okay im new to crackberry and bb's and need a bit of help.I have a blackberry curve 8900 on contract from tmobile uk and i have a belkin N router at home. I have the wifi icon in the corner of my screen on the curve but get "-" on the wifi part in manage connections and from what i can gather i need a green tick , i looked it up and something was said abwt apn settings bt im not entirely sure wt that is and if thats whats needed just thought ild ask on here to see
    Thanks
    10-10-09 06:14 PM
    You should check the section of the guide for configuring the Browser

You just need to change your default browser from Internet to WiFi browser... and then you will be all set!! Welcome to CrackBerry and glad I could help!

*This is in Step 2 of the Guide...*
    But how is this done .... i go to the tool icon .. click through adv option

go to browser , i have two things default browser config and there are two choices ... either i select the hotspot broswer or t zones

then next, is the default WAP browser and my only choice is t zones

not sure how do i change this ? also where is emulation option found ?

THANKS for any help anyone can provide.
    10-10-09 09:14 PM
    Subscribing
    how does one subscribe ??
    10-10-09 09:25 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry and thanks for the compliment

I am sorry to say that there is no way to improve WiFi connection on your Berry... I always seem to get a fairly decent range on my device, but that depends on the WiFi network and building structure.

You will obviously get a weaker signal than a laptop, etc... because the WiFi transmitter in your Berry is smaller and lacks powerful antennas.
    on the subject of antennas ` i was given "sticker" it says it is a Generation X cell antenna ... reduces static, improves signal, extends cell range in elevators, tunnels, buildings and remote areas.

does this really work. where do i stick it ?

it says to stick it on the battery ... wasn't sure ... thought i would ask the experts first ?

THANKS!
    10-10-09 09:50 PM
    okay im new to crackberry and bb's and need a bit of help.I have a blackberry curve 8900 on contract from tmobile uk and i have a belkin N router at home. I have the wifi icon in the corner of my screen on the curve but get "-" on the wifi part in manage connections and from what i can gather i need a green tick , i looked it up and something was said abwt apn settings bt im not entirely sure wt that is and if thats whats needed just thought ild ask on here to see
    Thanks
    ok number one, your blackberry is not N compatible, and I have heard that if you have the N enabled some blackberry will not connect or connect appropriatly. Secondly go into manage connections, wifi options, highlight your wifi network that you are trying to access hit the freckle key go to wifi tools wifi diagnostics. hit the freckle key again email the report to yourself. then post it here so I can see what it all says.
    10-13-09 04:45 PM
    But how is this done .... i go to the tool icon .. click through adv option

go to browser , i have two things default browser config and there are two choices ... either i select the hotspot broswer or t zones

then next, is the default WAP browser and my only choice is t zones

not sure how do i change this ? also where is emulation option found ?

THANKS for any help anyone can provide.
    Hint: Sometimes places with WiFi are called WiFi Hotspots.
    10-13-09 04:48 PM
    I am wondering if anyone can help me with my brother's Bold.

His Bold BB does not open any pages when he is on WiFi connection. The browser just keeps requesting the page and then it will say "Connection Timed Out". I am sure it's not a problem with the router or WiFi since everyone else in the household is able to connect the phones through the same router. I have matched up all the WiFi service books of his to mine. it looks exactly the same.

Can anyone help me to troubleshoot this?
    Question: Are you the system Admin at home?

Step 1: Try connecting his bold to any other unsecured network. If it connects then you know his wifi is working. If not its on the Bold side.

(Assume its the Bold that is having a problem)

Step 2: Battery Pull
    Step 3: Try to connect again
    Step 4: Go into the wifi settings and delete the connection that you have already established with the network and start over searching for the network
    Step 5: (Assuming you have network security enabled) Make sure you have the appropriate passphrase and case sensitivity.

The next steps involve you being the system admin. Let me know when you get this far and I will try to walk you through the other steps.
    10-13-09 04:57 PM
    can the pearl flip be used as a modem? (gsm)
    10-17-09 12:55 AM
    can the pearl flip be used as a modem? (gsm)
    Theoretically, any blackberry can be used as a gsm modem. However most servixe providers charge you extra for a feature called tethering, which is what you are refering to. I know for att and verizon, its an additional 10 a month on top of the 30 dollar unlimited web and email package.
    10-17-09 06:52 AM
    sounds good, as long as you use it frequently, in combination with sip or other voip methods it will easily be worth the money I guess...
    10-30-09 12:40 AM
    Awesome post. Thank you. You saved me a huge headache and it was only a small problem that I overlooked. Cheers.
    11-12-09 08:42 AM
    Has anyone had an opportunity to take a look at the Storm2 and it's WIFI for Verizon? Connecting to my home network is no problem and pretty easy but now I am trying to figure out how to correctly connect to free WIFI like at airports and also GOGO WIFI on delta flights. I look forward to reading what comments are written about the S2.
    11-12-09 08:55 PM
    Ok so i talked to Telus techs and they are not sure but my Browser app has dissappeared off my phone the icon with the world on it how do it get it back?
    11-12-09 10:25 PM
    Sorry if this is answered already somewhere but can anyone explain how to change the 'N' WiFi setting on a new Apple Extreme Base Station to G for better UMA calling on home WiFi? with the older Dome Apple Extremes, there is a pop down window on the Airport Utility App allowing a change of options from B to G etc but with the newest Apple square Extreme router, there is only N and G compatible as the only selection. i keep losing the UMA signal and as we have no T-Mobile bars at home, the calls get dropped as UMA comes in and out every few minutes. Many thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 01:48 AM
    Hey everybody here!
    I bought my new BlackBerry Bold 9000 in Germany. When i subscribed my BB in Russia (brand new subscription, not roaming) a provider disabled WiFi menu (i don't see it anymore among connection options). I've tried searching through the forum but failed to find out the answer.
    Could somebody give me a hint how i can re-activate it?
    Many thanks in advance.
    11-15-09 08:27 AM
    Excellent guide! Look forward to improved results!
    11-17-09 03:44 AM
601 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD